starting strength gym
Page 2 of 115 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: RoriMegan's Training Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Yay for another female lifter!!! I'll definitely be following along. Also, I've seen A LOT of former dancers who lift. If you don't mind me asking, what do you personally think the appeal is? (Obviously I know you can't speak for a whole group of people, it's just a pattern I've noticed and thought I would ask.)

When The World Clearly Doesn't Want You To Lift, Lift Anyway

Thursday is the worst day. My hours at work are weird. Mondays I work 2-9 (get home around 9:45/10 depending on when I actually finish) and get to sleep around 11:30 only to wake up at 4:20 to open at 6am and work until 2, but I'm never done at 2, usually I leave around 3 or 4. Then Wednesday and Thursday I repeat that but I work until 5 on Thursdays. Except today I worked until 6 and I was utterly exhausted from a 12 hour standing day (but really I started standing at 4:30 when I actually got out of bed and made my food for the day/showered etc. Anyway I didnt get to eat all day because I was so busy, not one break from 6-2:30 when I finally had a bite.

Anyway, I finished at 6, and was on the fence about skipping todays workout because my body was so exhausted from the weird sleep/stand/eat/train patterns of my week. So I jokingly said to the Accupuncturist, who isn't usually there on Thurs. "You got a quick fix for energy?" and he actually did and put these weird adhesive things on points on my leg and bam my legs didnt feel fatigued anymore. I was actually hyper after.

So, rush home, change, meet my girl at the gym only to find out, hello long island power association, the power is out at the gym and I'm kicking myself for not just working out at work. I quickly call the owner of the small personal training and group fitness gym down the street (we've dabble in the idea of me doing some business there) and he lets me come and do a quick workout there. I felt terrible because they were trying to close early but thankful he let me work out.

Originally was going to press 90lb....but those adhesive things and the stress of the thought of potentially missing my workout led me to up the game to 95lb....honestly if I wasnt pressing right in front of the owners of the gym who were waiting for me so they could leave I probably would have missed my last set. When I tell you I was stuck at the sticking point of my 5th rep of my 3rd set of 95lb for what I swear to you felt like 10 minutes and then got it, I'm being serious. It was the hardest rep of my life but I wasn't letting anything else get in my way of this workout.

Standing Press:
    45 x 5 x 2
    55 x 4
    65 x 3
    75 x 2
    85 x 1
    95 x 5 x 3 BITCH

Neutral Grip Pull Ups:
    BW x 4
    BW x 3
    BW x 2

Got home, had a text from my other buddy that he was AT THE GYM and they had power back...maybe just lost it for 5 min STUPID LIPA for stressing me out. So I went back and prowled with him....

Prowler w/0lb x 80 yrds
    Prowler w/45lb on each side x 80 yrds
    Prowler w/45 x 2 on each side x 80 yrds
    Prowler w/45 x 3 on each side x 40 yrds <---yea thats like 315lb+ wtf

Here's a video of the last round.....

Lungs still hurt.

Oh and the 95lb press was so hard I still have tennis balls in my quads. Squeezed so hard.
    Last edited by Rori Alter; 02-28-2013 at 08:56 PM. Reason: typo

Nice lifting Rori. I'll be following your log. So not surprised about LIPA. Your story makes me miss NY though. Form looks solid.

Also, I've seen A LOT of former dancers who lift. If you don't mind me asking, what do you personally think the appeal is?
    I really couldn't tell you! HAHA. I was talking to my boy friend about this question and he's thinks it's kind of how most boys are in little league, most girls dance or do gymnastics. You really can't dance forever (unless you pursue it as a career)....although I made it all the way to 21 ish....I do miss it a lot. But I LOVE lifting...and it's less time consuming and you're not stuck to a class schedule, its on your own time...

Quote Originally Posted by Gillian Mounsey View Post
    Nice lifting Rori. I'll be following your log. So not surprised about LIPA. Your story makes me miss NY though. Form looks solid.
    Thanks Gillian!! When you're in NY next we'll have to get together to lift and prowl!! And PS...since Hurricane Sandy, I have PTSD whenever there is a power outage and I really hate LIPA.

Good thing you had neon shorts. You'd be lost in the darkness

Nice press numbers!

3/2/13

Today was actually the first time in my short lifting career that I heavy squatted or deadlifted without John, Nick or my buddy Innis around to motivate me and make me feel safe. I lifted again with Samantha (who squatted 100 x 5 x 3 and deadlifted 125 x 5 yay) but didnt feel confident with her, I felt very insecure with the weight even though I've squatted 197.5 x 5 x 3 just a few weeks ago. So I asked the most normal looking, decently strong guy for a "spot" on the squat. He was actually super nice and motivational while I was squatting. I was so thankful to have him "spot" me and by spotting I mean stand five feet behind me just in case. I was legit shaking for some reason after my first set. It wasn't hard I just honestly, for some reason, lacked confidence without John, Nick or Innis. I feel better now that its over. Really all I was thinking to myself is "you better get all your reps cuz you have to squat 200 next workout and you don't wanna put that off any longer!"

Innis showed up for my deadlifts and then we prowled.

Squats:
    45 x 5 x 2
    115 x 4
    135 x 3
    155 x 2
    175 x 1
    195 x 5 x 3

Deadlift:
    95 x 5
    135 x 5
    165 x 3
    195 x 1
    210 x 5

I lose extension on my deadlifts...this pretty much has been happening since I got into the 200s...My last weight before my 2 week hiatus was 215 which I did for two workouts because of this issue....pooop.

Prowler:
    Empty 50 yrds x 4 on the minute
    45 on each side 50 yrds x 4 on the minute
    2x 45 on each side 1 x 40 yrd (death), then I found the energy two minutes later--1x 50 yrds on the 2 minute

Proud of myself today.

3rd set of squats

Deadlift

I think the best thing I ever had to do was train in my basement alone for a while. It was hard to do without anyone cheering for me or checking my form, but it made me a better lifter.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
    I think the best thing I ever had to do was train in my basement alone for a while. It was hard to do without anyone cheering for me or checking my form, but it made me a better lifter.
    Baby steps. LOL. But I agree. The feeling made me realize I really rely on them. I'll be attempting 200 next workout alone because of every ones work schedule. I got this!

starting strength coach development program
    I know how you feel, I hate training alone. It's crazy but for me if Mac is not there the whole thing doesn't matter as much to me. He helps boost my confidence. Nice lifts. You will blow through 200.

Page 2 of 115 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast