starting strength gym
Page 3 of 115 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: RoriMegan's Training Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    So funny. I usually prefer to train alone, even if there are other people around. I get in my head and stay focused that way. I do like someone screaming at me for max effort lifts though, and occasionally training with other people is fun.

Totally understand how you feel. I now lift pretty much alone, even though there are plenty of people around. I just can't usually train at the limited times when there is someone I trust to spot me (and I would just like someone there, relatively close "just in case".) This squat progression has been tough because of that. I can't decide yet if it is good for me to just tough it out, or if I should make more of an effort to train with someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by jenica View Post
    So funny. I usually prefer to train alone, even if there are other people around. I get in my head and stay focused that way. I do like someone screaming at me for max effort lifts though, and occasionally training with other people is fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by scteacher View Post
    Totally understand how you feel. I now lift pretty much alone, even though there are plenty of people around. I just can't usually train at the limited times when there is someone I trust to spot me (and I would just like someone there, relatively close "just in case".) This squat progression has been tough because of that. I can't decide yet if it is good for me to just tough it out, or if I should make more of an effort to train with someone else.
    I train alone, but in a room full of people. Most times there are one or two who can help me or yell at me if I need it. I would love to have some other girls to lift with, but it isn't happening right now.

I would love to have some other girls to lift with, but it isn't happening right now.
    Well maybe we should get a SS Women's workshop or training weekend together. Like a conclave or something. Just girls. Doing girl things and lifting things that are really heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by RoriMegan View Post
    Well maybe we should get a SS Women's workshop or training weekend together. Like a conclave or something. Just girls. Doing girl things and lifting things that are really heavy.
    Gillian mentioned something like that once. I think it is an awesome idea.

Quote Originally Posted by RoriMegan View Post
    I helped run a strongwoman workshop last fall just like that. It was cool to have ~25 women being awesome with an all female coaching staff. Don't get me wrong, there are lots of supportive male lifters, but there's something special about the minority becoming the majority.

Thanks for everyone's enthusiasm! John told me the community of women here was strong and supportive, and I have to say, in my short time on the lifting forum, he was certainly right!

Workout for 3/4/13

Left shoulder has been bothering me a lot and the fact that we were at a wedding last night and I was dancing like a maniac, doesn't help. Figured I'd start warming up and see how it felt...

15 min on Cybex Arc Traininer (Interval level 4)

Bench:
    45 x 5 x 2
    65 x 5
    85 x 3
    105 x 2
    115 x 1
    125 x 5 x 3* missed this last week so I'm glad I got it with my shoulder feeling crappy. No pain while I was benching, just after...but not worse than prior to the workout so, that's fine with PT me.

Neutral Grip Pull Ups
    BW x 5, 4, 2 works for me

Cybex Arc Trainer x 15 min (Weight Loss Level 5)

Tomorrow is a much needed rest day. I taught HIIT/TRX yesterday and did some interval on my bike in the apartment Friday....So six days = resting tomorrow and looking forward to it!

3/6/13

After my last squat workout I was determined not to let my self confidence eff with me hitting my reps. No John, no Nick, no Innis, just skinny endurance runner Samantha. I'm really impressed with Samantha's understanding of the importance of strength training for running. She has committed to lifting with me twice a week and I see her making great strides and influencing this year's race season. I surprised her with a marble notebook since she never writes down her weights. She was actually more excited than I thought she would be.

Squat
    45 x 5 x 2
    95 x 5
    115 x 3
    145 x 2
    185 x 1
    200 x 5 x 3 Mental, physical and life PR...didnt ask anyone to "spot" me

My power clans shouldn't even be considered power cleans. My warm ups felt solid; my form felt better than it has ever in the past. My work sets felt terrible and was just plain wrong. I didn't even bother filming them they were so embarrassing.

Power Cleans:
    45 x 5 x 2
    65 x 5
    75 x 3
    85 x 2
    95 x 1
    102.5 x 3 x 5 I will repeat these next workout because, let's be honest, they stunk.

Here be the Squat:

Oh my God, I totally just watched that video on facebook because I saw Marianne Kane liked it. My internet personas are crossing. I'm so confused right now. (also, yay for 200!!!)

starting strength coach development program
    Nice squat PR!

Page 3 of 115 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast