starting strength gym
Page 59 of 110 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169109 ... LastLast

Thread: Dan's log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Got the cast off my hand on Tuesday (05/26) and pins out Wednesday (05/27). Left hand is really, really weak. Lost some size on my forearm. Thumb ROM is pretty limited but improving each day. Grip strength (using my 4 fingers and no thumb) is awful, I can barely pick up 220lbs with a mixed grip and my left forearm gets immediately sore. My left wrist is pretty stiff and getting under the bar to low bar squat without even unracking it hurts like hell. It's improving quickly though.

05/21/15 Thursday

Light squats
    Chest machine: up to 190x8x3

05/28/15 Thursday

Low bar squat: 45x10x4 (wrist hurt a lot but felt better each time)
    High bar squat: 45x10, 135x10, 225x5 (feels much better with 2 hands and doesn't put much strain on the left hand but I want to take it slowly)
    DL: 60kgx5x2
    Static holds: 80kgx10sx3
    Chest machine: 200x8x3 (getting pretty tough)

I can't unrack the empty bar to bench. It hurts my wrist too much.

05/30/15 Saturday

Low bar squat: 45x10x3, 135x10 (feels better than 2 days ago, don't want to push it though)
    DL: 60kgx5, 90kgx5x2 (got a blood blister on my finger after the 2nd set, yeesh)

Hopefully I can go up roughly 1 plate per week on squats and DLs.

06/01/15 Monday

Low bar squat: 45x10x3, 135x10, 225x5, 315x2
    Put a light wrap on my left wrist for 225 and 315, hard to get it tight at all while avoiding the stitches. 315 felt fine on the wrist but I decided to stop there to be safe. It was probably dumb to do that much weight in the first place anyway.

DL: 135x5x2, 185x3, 225x5x3

06/02/15 Tuesday

Static holds DOH grip: 135x10s, 185x10s, 205x10s, 225x10sx3
    Really hard for me to hold onto 225. Not being able to use the thumb doesn't help but yeesh. The bar was in the very last joint of the fingers on my left hand and barely staying in. I tried 245 and couldn't get it for more than like 1s. Well, last Thursday I couldn't get 225 for more than a second.

Chest machine: up to 200x8x3
    I can finally put my hands on the handles. It makes it much easier for some reason. I was repeating the weight from last time bc it was hard but it was no problem today.

Bench: 45x15ish
    Tried out some different grip widths and such. I could finally unrack the empty bar but that's about it. It really hurts my left wrist. There's no way I'll be able to put any weight on the bar.

How are things going?

More bad news today. Just tore my right hamstring.

06/16/15 Tuesday

Hand has been healing up well enough that the Dr gave me the go ahead to resume full activity. Last Saturday I sumo DLed up to 180kg. Yesterday I low bar squatted 315x5x3.
    Today, I worked up to 180kg again on sumo DL. Did 60x5x2, 100x5, 140x2, and it felt great. Bar was moving fast. I was planning to do 180x5, something relatively light. I figured my grip would be the limiting factor. Pulled the first rep about an inch off the ground and felt 1-2 pops in my right hamstring around the knee area. Hurts a lot. I was able to limp out of the gym, change my clothes, and go up and down stairs to leave. Was able to ride my bike home. This all happened about an hour ago and I'm icing now. So far no apparent bruising or swelling but it's early. I'm going to keep track of the size of my leg to get an idea of how bad the swelling is. I can't really feel much tension in my right hamstring with my hand but maybe that's not unexpected. Because I can walk around and go up stairs and such I'm hoping there's no complete tear.

Right now my right thigh, measured around the middle where it hurts the most, with the knee locked, measures 61cm in circumference. The left thigh is also 61cm, so no swelling yet.

One day I'll look back on all this and laugh.
    Last edited by elVarouza; 06-16-2015 at 09:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by elVarouza View Post
    More bad news today. Just tore my right hamstring.

06/16/15 Tuesday

Hand has been healing up well enough that the Dr gave me the go ahead to resume full activity. Last Saturday I sumo DLed up to 180kg. Yesterday I low bar squatted 315x5x3.
    Today, I worked up to 180kg again on sumo DL. Did 60x5x2, 100x5, 140x2, and it felt great. Bar was moving fast. I was planning to do 180x5, something relatively light. I figured my grip would be the limiting factor. Pulled the first rep about an inch off the ground and felt 1-2 pops in my right hamstring around the knee area. Hurts a lot. I was able to limp out of the gym, change my clothes, and go up and down stairs to leave. Was able to ride my bike home. This all happened about an hour ago and I'm icing now. So far no apparent bruising or swelling but it's early. I'm going to keep track of the size of my leg to get an idea of how bad the swelling is. I can't really feel much tension in my right hamstring with my hand but maybe that's not unexpected. Because I can walk around and go up stairs and such I'm hoping there's no complete tear.

Right now my right thigh, measured around the middle where it hurts the most, with the knee locked, measures 61cm in circumference. The left thigh is also 61cm, so no swelling yet.

One day I'll look back on all this and laugh.
    To answer the question you posted in my log:

Doesn't sound like a full-thickness tear from my limited non-doctorly knowledge. When I tore my adductor, I was unable to do much of anything, including get INTO my bed. Literally spent 24 hours hanging off the edge because I couldn't slide towards the middle. If you rode a bike afterwards rather than called 911 or a friend to take you to the ER, you probably didn't tear any major muscles clean off the bones.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    To answer the question you posted in my log:

Doesn't sound like a full-thickness tear from my limited non-doctorly knowledge. When I tore my adductor, I was unable to do much of anything, including get INTO my bed. Literally spent 24 hours hanging off the edge because I couldn't slide towards the middle. If you rode a bike afterwards rather than called 911 or a friend to take you to the ER, you probably didn't tear any major muscles clean off the bones.
    Thanks Adam, that's along the lines of what I was thinking. I really appreciate your input into these things. I don't have too many friends who are into PLing and the ones who are haven't been lifting as long as I have. Oftentimes the internet is my only way to get opinions from experienced lifters.

Quote Originally Posted by elVarouza View Post
    Thanks Adam, that's along the lines of what I was thinking. I really appreciate your input into these things. I don't have too many friends who are into PLing and the ones who are haven't been lifting as long as I have. Oftentimes the internet is my only way to get opinions from experienced lifters.
    I totally understand and am glad to help if I can.

Heal up fast,brother!

starting strength coach development program
    That's it. No more getting hurt, ok?
    But seriously, hope it's not a big deal and you heal up fast.