starting strength gym
Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 637.5@98.7

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by hamburgerfan View Post
    Get it at the right height and you take the legs out of the equation, which is great for overloading the ass.
    that's weird, your mum said exactly the same thing to me last night

Edit: sorry but how was that NOT picked up already?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Yea man, incline DB bench is legit in my opinion.
    Yup. x2.

As a side note: anyone else here think Tom keeps changing his log so we have to keep coming up with new tags???

That is a sacred ritual that I stole from high chieftan Karwoski:

You gotta time dat adrenaline peak. I ABUSE the hell out of psyche. I psyche up for pretty much every top set of everything. According to a lot of people, this means I'm doing it wrong. I'm a bear, don't care. I have even another level I seem to be able to go to at meets anyways.

well Jordan, my squat is all I have, lol. I suppose if I can start squatting what you guys pull, while pulling closer on the bench, then maybe I'll have a chance to out pull your squats and make it respectable. I also have to de-fat myself for a while to get to in range to even think about 198 or 205... H.A.N.D.

Dana, I just at least one log for every one of my personalities. Is that so much to ask?

6/19/13
    BW: 226.4lbs, CNS starts tonight...

ME Squats /w Wraps:
    55xlotsxlots
    145x1
    195x1
    235x1
    285x1
    325x1
    375x1, add belt
    415x1, add wraps
    465x7 PR, ~567 est 1RM

You'll have to read below.

"Speed" Sumo Pulls:
    275x1x8, first four with belt, last four without

Felt slowish. Might have to lower % to adjust for having to do this after squats. Lower back pump of peace.

GHR: BWx5,10,6, felt a small tug last set, called it
    Reverse-Hyper: 4 plates x 10 x 3

Overall:
    So, I fell backwards on rep 7. Last time I did 465 I fell after rep 4. ****. FUUUUUUUUUUUCK. This is caused by my knees collapsing and my hips shooting backwards. Gotta strengthen glutes/adductors. Probably da quadz too.

I'm past the disappointment. I have my sights set on 505 two weeks from now. The number is 6. But damn man... I wanted 10 badly. Real badly. Nonetheless, this is still a PR and there was gas in the tank. I can't be too upset besides the fact these are a bit high. They'd look deeper in a singlet because of that damn pocket sticking out of my shorts but excuses are like *******s; everybody's got one. I need to get the **** down there. These will still pass in the SPF/UPA but that's not good enough for me. Gotta get deeper than this. Not much deeper, but deeper is deeper.

I forgot to mention that I got new wraps. Titan THPs 2.5m. They are way stiffer. Not sure I noticed a huge difference between the multiply metal wraps I was using before. Oh well. I'm planning on getting a pair of Inzer Grippers to use for my next meet. They only last a few wraps, I guess.

My brain is a bit scrambled. I just have to do better. I will do better. I have to scrap and claw to get small gains during the next four months while I diet. I can't afford to lose 40-50lbs on all my lifts again. Just can't. Won't let it happen. I'm not going backwards. Can't wait to take a shot at 420 on Saturday.. Onwards and upwards.

Have a nice day.
    Last edited by Tom Narvaez; 06-19-2013 at 09:35 PM. Reason: additional info

I have never been able to adhere to calorie/macro counting protocols. I would greatly prefer to not limit my carbs so greatly but I know i can stick to cns so it is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Narvaez View Post
    I have never been able to adhere to calorie/macro counting protocols. I would greatly prefer to not limit my carbs so greatly but I know i can stick to cns so it is what it is.
    who said you have to limit carbs on a macro tracking type deal?

hit your protein, carbs, fat, fiber. dominaaaate.

I think he means he would prefer not to limit his carbs, but he doesn't like to track, so he's going to limit them with CNS, because it's something he can stick to.

Tom, you're a crack head. What do you recommend I buy for preworkout when I have to train (ugh) before work??

I end up quitting counting diets because I cant psychologically handle not hitting the exact numbers every day. And I am not a bodybuilder so I am not going to eat the same fucking thing everyday to accomplish exactitude.

Steve, they're all the same dude. Just get the cheapest one that doesn't taste like shit. Take a lot of it. Magic.

starting strength coach development program
    6/21/13
    BW: 222.6lbs

Today's work:

ME Upper

Paused Competition Bench:
    45xlotsxlots
    95x3
    135x3
    185x2
    225x2
    275x6 PR, ~326 est 1RM, up ~6lbs

Paused Slingshot Bench:
    315x8, ~394 est 1RM, up ~19lbs from best TnG slingshot (355x2)

1-Arm DB Row: 45x10, 70x10, 100x13, gonna work up to 150x20 this year
    Face Pulls: Red Mini x 50,16,34 (100reps)

Overall:
    Eh, fuck this training session. I hate myself for this training session. I did not show up with the requisite intensity, mindset, or concentration to do what needed to be done today. I did not fucking go to the gym to get 6 reps at 275. What is most upsetting is how little this upset me at the time. I was all happy-go-lucky and shit because all of my friends were there and doing well.

I wanted 8 and I had 8. I don't want to make retarded excuses but I just couldn't get set up right today. My ass leaves the bench on like every rep. I won't be using my belt again. I feel like that was a contributing factor. Justin handed me off only on the last set and that would normally be fine but his shorts were touching my head at one point and it cut off my peripheral vision. This shit shouldn't matter but it did. At some point, he tried to actually take it from me. Then, I clanked the upright on the next rep and it was just done. I'm so pissed because if you watch the video these reps weren't even really that hard. I should've regrouped and kept going.

Instead of redeeming my retarded fall with 465, I basically made the equivalent mistakes on bench. This is twice in a row that FORM, not strength, has prevented me from accomplishing my objectives. I know I am attempting to maintain a positive attitude for this training cycle, but I just don't feel that is the appropriate response in this case. These mistakes are directly my fault. They show a lack of concentration that is unbecoming. I can't accept that. It will be fixed.

The problems continued on the slingshot bench but that isn't unusual. It is hard to set up with that damn thing. Still, I was distracted and I just wasn't committed to the real number I wanted: 10. 10 would put my slingshot bench est 1RM above 405. That would have meant a lot to me. I've only ever done 365. I feel like a paused 405 slingshot reliably gets me 365 under peaked conditions.

My brother is lifting with me and I've been doing a lot of coaching of both him and Mel lately. Not that Mel really needs my help, but it is what it is. I've probably got to tone this down next week. As much as I love my teammates and partners, it distracts me. Interacting makes me a normal human. I can't be a normal human when I train. That's not me. It disrupts my intensity, focus and desire. I need to be filming warmups, correcting mistakes, and staying locked into the task at hand.

Adjustments will be made. I will atone for my sins tomorrow by destroying 425. I'm coming back with 9 reps. Count on it.

Have a nice day
    (H.A.N.D.)

Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast