starting strength gym
Page 101 of 187 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111151 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 1870

Thread: Stuffed Superdud: Bumpy road to respectable lifting

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Doesn't that make it s better code if it doesn't actually make literal sense then?

So disappointed. .. as for the women's shoe situation, yup it's fucked. I am not qualified to give CG advice as I am about as stylish as Janice from Dilbert . But even I have at least 10 pairs of shoes that I regularly rotate through. Did you know that you should hem your pants to match your heel height? So there will be pants in a woman's wardrobe she can only wear with heels.... luckily my job allows informal wear and I am usually wearing skater shoes and jeans.

Ha! You guys are gonna love this: I missed training today.....because I got a call from CG going, "Hey I'm buying shoes for my daddy and my uncle...ugh I need you to come help me." A year ago, this sentence would have been unthinkable. I dropped everything and hauled ass to Beverly Hills, because I feared if I was too late, she'd drop another several hundred big ones on some Gucci bullshit that he dad will hate (he's super old and dresses like it's the 50's). When I got there, she and her mother were sitting in front of a pile of driving mocs and arguing over what size to get the guys (they live 1,000,000 miles away; CG's baby sister is scheduled to visit them next week).

The conversation went like this:
    StuffedSuperDud: "What's going on here...?"
    Cancer Girl: "Ugh...."
    SSD: "So they wanted....moccasins?"
    Her Royal Highness, the Queen Mother: "Hmmm? What is moccasins?"
    CG: "The said they penny loafers. So which one do you like more, black or brown?"
    SSD: "These aren't penny loafers. They're called driving mocs. Is this what they wanted?"
    CG: "Whatever. He said he didn't want to deal with laces. So which one do you like?"
    SSD: "Uh.....brown I guess. Black loafers weird me out because it's a formal color mixed with a shoe for, you know, loafing."
    HRH: "Well my brother is professor, so he has to wear black to meetings and to teach."
    SSD: (thinking that he should just get real shoes but afraid it'd restart the shopping process) "Oh well okay black then."
    CG: "Okay what size do you wear?"
    SSD: "Huh?"
    CG: "Your shoes. What size shoes do you wear?"
    SSD: "Why does that matter.... OH. Well, 10 usually, but for loafers I knock it down half a size to prevent heel slippage. It's weird, my weightlifting shoes are actually a 9. Those Adistars, you know, the ones with the wooden heels, they run big for some reason. Hrm some guys online were talking about Allen Edmonds making a weightlifting shoe. Would they sell it in this store, I wond-
    CG: "DUDE. Stay with me you spergy weirdo. My dad and uncle both wear 7.5 so my mom wants to go 8."
    SSD: "Uh....well, loafers you generally size down. If they're a half size too big it'll fall off. If they're a half size too small, they can always suffer for a few days and stretch them out"

At this point I'm actually super self-conscious because the salesman is standing there staring at me as if I were stealing his thunder.

CG: "When did this happen? Six months ago you went on a date in a rotten old Ninja Turtles shirt and now you're advising me on shoes? BTW, my uncle says he's a medium? What's medium?"
    SSD: "Uh...D. A-C are narrow and E-EEE are wide. Is that right, Craig?"

The salesguy took the chance to jump in and blathered about E-EEE. Eventually the three of the three of them agreed on something and CG and HRH lurched away from the customer service area holding several boxes each.

HRH, to CG: "You should just marry him. I never know any man who knows so much about shoes."

I cringed at this part, because, as I like to remind people, I'm not a "shoe guy" and I despise the whole fashion world. I mostly just like the history of menswear, much of which takes place against a military backdrop....well either that or obnoxious 19th century British dukes needing special shoes for all their leisurely man-child pursuits...

SSD: "Heh...not really. You two know way more about this stuff than I do. I actually only own about six pairs, including my lifting shoes and sneakers."
    CG: "No dude. We're normal. You're a nerd. Like, what's oxfords and brogues? [Idlehands, no joke, she said this word for word] What's EEE width? What's 'real' leather?" How do you size your loafers? We don't have that shit. Like, 7.5D? No. We just have 'it's fucking painful you stupid broad now give us your husband's money.'"

At this point, HRH went on a long rant about how annoying women's fashion is (while wearing about $10,000 worth of clothes, not including her bling). The TL;DR is that they and their friends don't know shit about any of this, nor do they care. They just narrow things down to a few overpriced brands, grab a few that appeal to them in that particular moment, with no thought to versatility, cost per wear, or even fit, and then whip out the benjamins. Later, they congregate so that everyone in their social circle can judge each other. "I have the new Chanels. You need to spend $50,000 in a year before you're even eligible to buy one you know!" Jeez, iono if I want to punch these designers in the face for being dicks or shake their hands in recognition of their total genius.
    Last edited by stuffedsuperdud; 04-16-2016 at 03:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by stuffedsuperdud View Post
    Ha! You guys are gonna love this: I missed training today.....because I got a call from CG going, "Hey I'm buying shoes for my daddy and my uncle...ugh I need you to come help me." A year ago, this sentence would have been unthinkable. I dropped everything and hauled ass to Beverly Hills, because I feared if I was too late, she'd drop another several hundred big ones on some Gucci bullshit that he dad will hate (he's super old and dresses like it's the 50's). When I got there, she and her mother were sitting in front of a pile of driving mocs and arguing over what size to get the guys (they live 1,000,000 miles away; CG's baby sister is scheduled to visit them next week).

The conversation went like this:
    StuffedSuperDud: "What's going on here...?"
    Cancer Girl: "Ugh...."
    SSD: "So they wanted....moccasins?"
    Her Royal Highness, the Queen Mother: "Hmmm? What is moccasins?"
    CG: "The said they penny loafers. So which one do you like more, black or brown?"
    SSD: "These aren't penny loafers. They're called driving mocs. Is this what they wanted?"
    CG: "Whatever. He said he didn't want to deal with laces. So which one do you like?"
    SSD: "Uh.....brown I guess. Black loafers weird me out because it's a formal color mixed with a shoe for, you know, loafing."
    HRH: "Well my brother is professor, so he has to wear black to meetings and to teach."
    SSD: (thinking that he should just get real shoes but afraid it'd restart the shopping process) "Oh well okay black then."
    CG: "Okay what size do you wear?"
    SSD: "Huh?"
    CG: "Your shoes. What size shoes do you wear?"
    SSD: "Why does that matter.... OH. Well, 10 usually, but for loafers I knock it down half a size to prevent heel slippage. It's weird, my weightlifting shoes are actually a 9. Those Adistars, you know, the ones with the wooden heels, they run big for some reason. Hrm some guys online were talking about Allen Edmonds making a weightlifting shoe. Would they sell it in this store, I wond-
    CG: "DUDE. Stay with me you spergy weirdo. My dad and uncle both wear 7.5 so my mom wants to go 8."
    SSD: "Uh....well, loafers you generally size down. If they're a half size too big it'll fall off. If they're a half size too small, they can always suffer for a few days and stretch them out"

At this point I'm actually super self-conscious because the salesman is standing there staring at me as if I were stealing his thunder.

CG: "When did this happen? Six months ago you went on a date in a rotten old Ninja Turtles shirt and now you're advising me on shoes? BTW, my uncle says he's a medium? What's medium?"
    SSD: "Uh...D. A-C are narrow and E-EEE are wide. Is that right, Craig?"

The salesguy took the chance to jump in and blathered about E-EEE. Eventually the three of the three of them agreed on something and CG and HRH lurched away from the customer service area holding several boxes each.

HRH, to CG: "You should just marry him. I never know any man who knows so much about shoes."

I cringed at this part, because, as I like to remind people, I'm not a "shoe guy" and I despise the whole fashion world. I mostly just like the history of menswear, much of which takes place against a military backdrop....well either that or obnoxious 19th century British dukes needing special shoes for all their leisurely man-child pursuits...

SSD: "Heh...not really. You two know way more about this stuff than I do. I actually only own about six pairs, including my lifting shoes and sneakers."
    CG: "No dude. We're normal. You're a nerd. Like, what's oxfords and brogues? [Idlehands, no joke, she said this word for word] What's EEE width? What's 'real' leather?" How do you size your loafers? We don't have that shit. Like, 7.5D? No. We just have 'it's fucking painful you stupid broad now give us your husband's money.'"

At this point, HRH went on a long rant about how annoying women's fashion is (while wearing about $10,000 worth of clothes, not including her bling). The TL;DR is that they and their friends don't know shit about any of this, nor do they care. They just narrow things down to a few overpriced brands, grab a few that appeal to them in that particular moment, with no thought to versatility, cost per wear, or even fit, and then whip out the benjamins. Later, they congregate so that everyone in their social circle can judge each other. "I have the new Chanels. You need to spend $50,000 in a year before you're even eligible to buy one you know!" Jeez, iono if I want to punch these designers in the face for being dicks or shake their hands in recognition of their total genius.
    Love it when I get a nod in a post.

Fwiw first day new job in city is next Friday. Will rock suit on casual Friday and own it. Picking up suspenders for the terry crews Brooklyn 99 jacked in a button down shirt look.

May actually selfie for you bro

Is your name Antonio? Your men's fashion discussions remind me a lot of this AOM podcast that I listened to a year back:

Podcast: The Science Of Style | The Art Of Manliness
    Last edited by BryanW; 04-16-2016 at 07:01 AM. Reason: link formatting

Some of you fools watch the The Americans, right? CG and I just caught up on last week's episode, and.......no spoilers, but holy shit, we just stared at the TV after it ended for several minutes, until she looked at me and went, "..........DUDE WHAT THE FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!" The next few minutes/hours were all a blur to me, but the next thing I remember was standing in her parking lot staring at a dumpster and pondering the meaninglessness of everything.
    My twisted prediction: Elizabeth will nudge Paige into a "relationship" with Pastor Tim for blackmail purposes.

Jeez, iono if I want to punch these designers in the face for being dicks or shake their hands in recognition of their total genius.
    Yes.

I got to the gym within 30 minutes of closing. Lame. Did:

Clean + press 1+5
    50kgx1
    60x1
    70x1

Around this point my right wrist and elbow started bothering me, and I had about 10 minutes left, so I dropped the pressing and went to:

Clean pulls:
    110x4
    130x4
    150x4
    160x1

Deadlift:
    172x5

CG's trying to do Mauro DiPasquale's Anabolic Diet, with hilarious results, namely, she was a total bitch for a few days, but now seems to have pushed through. Weighed in today at the end of the acclimation phase and found no weight loss though. Anyone have any suggestions? She's suviving bascially on omelettes, veggies, and ground beef, but hasn't started counting calories. Training is decidedly sub-optimal (conditioning with MMA "trainers") but better than nothing.

Today she went shopping for more stuff for her sister to bring to her dad and uncle. She ended up taking over an hour, during which I jacked around with some guy from the men's furnishings dept. about how to get the most bang for buck on suits. In the end, she was the one who had to tell me to leave, because she wanted to get to a bbq but I wasn't done looking at fabric swatches. It's a brave new world indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by BryanW View Post
    Is your name Antonio? Your men's fashion discussions remind me a lot of this AOM podcast that I listened to a year back:

Podcast: The Science Of Style | The Art Of Manliness
    Heh. I actually used to follow Antonio's blog eagerly, starting a few years ago when I realized that everything in life is sales, and part of that means looking like you know what you're talking about. I'm still impressed by how he's been able to grow his business, all while juggling a (super hot) wife and and assload of kids, and of course being a Marine officer gives him street cred for life, but his recent strategy of moving into traditional motivational speaker territory while plugging his friends' ultra-premium products has kind of cooled me to him. A much more interesting blog for me these days is Gentleman's Gazette by Sven Schneider. This guy is insanely productive in writing huge articles about the history of menswear along with instructions on how to look good in them. He's kind of over the top about it and is decidedly a dandy himself, so I mostly refer to Antonio's older articles for advice while reading Sven's stuff for my own interest.

Quote Originally Posted by idlehands View Post
    Love it when I get a nod in a post.

Fwiw first day new job in city is next Friday. Will rock suit on casual Friday and own it. Picking up suspenders for the terry crews Brooklyn 99 jacked in a button down shirt look.

May actually selfie for you bro
    Oh congrats! I was afraid to ask how it went, given the references in your log regarding various no bueno life shit. Hope your other stuff is stabilizing.... Brace yourself; it's fun being the most jacked AND the best looking guy in the office. I actually had a reversal today where one of my underlings saw me at the gym. I was doing DLs while he was struggling with biceps curls using the 20lb straight bar. Kind of fun when the lackeys see that if nothing else, you still have the lowest common denominator in that you're much stronger than they are.

Feel free to PM me the dickpics.

Quote Originally Posted by BryanW View Post
    My twisted prediction: Elizabeth will nudge Paige into a "relationship" with Pastor Tim for blackmail purposes.
    Oy vey now THAT would be interesting. In the meantime, I'm mostly just glad that we got Keri Russell's annual butt-shot relatively early this time! How hot (in a PG-13 way) was she in that scene, btw? How come no women ever want to mark there territory all over my junk though? I'm way more jacked than Phillip.... BTW, anyone notice that Pastor Tim has a supporting role as a douchebag on Billions? CG was amused; I was kind of impressed by Kelly AuCoin's versatility.

AM: Caught up on sleep.

PM: Rugby girl and some of her friends hosted a poolside bbq and invited me and CG. Well we got there and it was....a reverse sausage-fest. Gotta hand it to the Europeans for giving 0 fucks about body self-consciousness, btw. However, they started going into European mode soon enough, e.g. concern-trolling me about America's downfall, since obviously all Americans are like Shug & Co., so I had to go into asshole mode and more or less quoted E&P about how America is obviously the freest bestest country on Earth, and that while they were busy dealing with fascist/communist dictatorships at home, we were killin' it, freeing Korea, Vietnam, Panama, Grenada, Nicaragua, and the Middle East from tyranny and oppression, muthafuckas. When they protested, I reminded then that they were at an all-American hot-dogs-hamburgers-apple-pie-shitty-beer barbeque, a testament to the fact that even as they scowled, they desperately wanted to be like us. Also, a few of them had toured the USS Iowa the other day so I reminded them that the 16"/50 cal Mk 7 is America's middle finger for freedom-hating assholes the world over, and that the Iowa-class ships carried nine such birds, for maximum liberty. Then just as they were about to write me off as a retard, I managed to swing it around Hurling-style and revealed that I probably knew more European history than they did, causing six of them to die of aneurysms on the spot.

Kidding, sort of. I had to be nice-ish since I was their guest / I wanted to bang them, but yea, they were left very confused about how someone could know so much about their various civil wars yet still plan on going full-bore Palin/Jindal 2016.

Training:
    Lower back and legs fried, so broish-day time
    Muscle snatch + snatch press
    40kg 1+5
    50 1+5
    60 1+5

Power clean + snatch push press
    70 1+3 x3

Power clean + push press 1+5
    40kg x1
    50x1
    60x1
    70x1
    75x1x3

Anyone see the European Weightlifting Championships? No? Good. It's an Olympic year, so between the best athletes peaking for Rio and WADA's recent activity, no one worth mentioning showed up. Oh, except Moldovan superhottie Cristina Iovu, now competing for Romania for some reason. Also, it seems she's either been hitting the sauce hard during her ban or she's simply set her makeup for Eastern European Whore, because, eh....

2013 IWF Worlds

2016 IWF Europeans

Ehh....it's not entirely a fair comparison, and for fucked up minds like me, she's actually sort of (even) hotter now than she was then, but...yea.....let's not pretend like she doesn't look different.

starting strength coach development program
    No one worth mentioning apart from Kostova and Talakhadze, you mean?

Kind of funny how the Chinese aren't quite bringing the same approach in their Nationals / Trials...unofficial bests galore!