starting strength gym
Page 11 of 187 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Stuffed Superdud: Bumpy road to respectable lifting

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    4/5/2014
    Welp this was one of those life-hating weeks. Finally got into the gym today after several days of being overcome by the world's fuckshittery. For those of you who haven't been following this log of mediocrity, my boss learned he will be axed at the end of this year (the culmination of a vicious cycle involving pathetic midlife crisis and his disdain for his admittedly shitty job) and has decided to strike back by overtly sabotaging everything. Does this mean throwing the junior folks under the bus? You betcha. But today I finally get to dump some hate into a bar.

Push

Squat
    330x5x3
    Another easy 5lb jump. At least one thing in life worked out, huh?

Sn/CJ

Pulls

4/7/2014
    Push

Squat
    335x5x3
    Meh.

Sn/CJ

Pulls

4/9/2014
    Push
    Bench press:
    195x5x3 easy

Squat
    Front squat:
    280x3x3
    Would have been easy but my chronic calf issues flared up and ruined my universe. Here's hoping it's gone by tomorrow.

Sn/CJ

Pulls

4/14/2014
    I had some family stuff happen this weekend (some good, some bad) and wanted to give the calf a few days anyway. The symptoms are consistent with a peroneus strain, and rest seems to be the main cure, so there that went. Got in for a quick session though.

Push

Squat
    Squat: 340x5x3
    Not all reps were beautiful. The 5th rep of sets 2 and 3 were kind of GM'ed. Shall we call it a medium-bar back squat? Obviously MBBS will bring world peace.

Sn/CJ

Pulls

4/17/2014
    Push
    Press volume: 157.5x5x5
    Volume PR. Not every rep was soooper strict. No layback and certain no hips/knees, but I did have to bounce out of the hole on a few reps instead of driving from a dead stop. I'll take it though.

Squat

Sn/CJ

Pulls
    Eccentric snatch pulls:
    60kgx5
    100x5
    120x5
    125x5

Snatch deadlift:
    132kgx6 Easy PR

Been reading through your log, SSD. Lot's of good work. Sorry to hear about your job situation: maybe when your boss goes it'll look up?

Hey Oldman! Thanks for reading! Most of this guy's team is disbanding and scattering to greener pastures, either here or at a new company, myself included. Things should be looking up in a few months. Besides, it's not that bad; I'm just being obnoxious and whiny. You're probably the one person on this site who has the right to complain, yet you never do (thanks for making me feel like a little bitch :P). Every time I feel like slacking off I just glance at your log and get back to work.

Quote Originally Posted by stuffedsuperdud View Post
    Hey Oldman! Thanks for reading! Most of this guy's team is disbanding and scattering to greener pastures, either here or at a new company, myself included. Things should be looking up in a few months. Besides, it's not that bad; I'm just being obnoxious and whiny. You're probably the one person on this site who has the right to complain, yet you never do (thanks for making me feel like a little bitch :P). Every time I feel like slacking off I just glance at your log and get back to work.
    I'm glad that your situation will be looking up. It sucks when leadership goes south when it's really needed. I complain more than enough, for sure. I try to bring it back to the focus on the lifting, or the family, or work, because it straightens me out.

I have to say I admire the WL folks, for their strength, speed and power. I'm gonna enjoy keeping up on your progress.

I have four kids: one who's almost ready to do something sort of consistent, after doing a bunch of bro stuff (he's the kind of kid who benches 245 and squats 220, if you get my drift). He's a great kid, about ready to graduate, with some great internships and job options (thank god), and he's now getting focused with the lifting because my second oldest is very consistent with Starting Strength and is starting to pass his brother up. My youngest two--a 16 yo daugther who just went through ACL surgery after a soccer injury and a 13 yo son who also plays soccer--also lift, to supplement their soccer work, mostly snatches and C&Js at the gym when we go do our PL stuff. My wife is Squat Queen, who also has a log on the forum: we're a couple of old duffers who want to stay active.

So you've competed in the past, right? Are you going to again? I hope to do a meet for the first time, if the health stays good and the progress continues.

I have done exactly one USAW meet, almost two years ago when I was just starting out, and totalled 168kg at 100kg BW, i.e. it took me six attempts do what actual lifters can do in their snatch opener ugh...... I peaked for a second meet a few months later but the event fell through; we ended up having an informal "meet" in our gym where I totaled 194kg at around 95kg BW.

I suffered a knee injury trying to save a botched snatch soon after that, about a year ago, and was sidelined for several months. The actual injury wasn't particularly awful, but my quad atrophied considerably in the several weeks that I was on crutches and I developed some patella tracking issues (partly due to bad genetics) that left me unable to squat properly until relatively recently.

Right now I am having fun just trying to get a strong as possible. My squat strength is roughly where it was when I got hurt and my pulling and upper body strength are actually better than ever, since when injured I couldn't squat but I could push, DL, and RDL, so things are looking up, I suppose. Right now, since I am PRing on the slow lifts almost every session, I don't really have the energy for Sn/CJ, but once I transition fully to more intermediate programming I'll put the classical lifts back in and hopefully start improving upon my current PRs of 88/108 soon after, probably a a local meet. The good thing about living in a yuppie wasteland is that there are CF gyms everywhere and they're always hosting USAW events.

Good luck with your upcoming PL meets! Glad to hear your family's doing well. (I had already figured out the Squat Queen + kids thing on my own from reading your log. Am I a stalker?!) How's the recovery from your recent health issues going? I like how you're much stronger than I am even though my biggest current issues are just a bum knee and some work stress.

starting strength coach development program
    It sounds like your recovery from injuries is moving in the right direction. You made great progress between the USAW meet and the informal second one, so you'll probably do well when you get back to the Oly lifts and competition again. And the strength work will probably also be a huge asset.

My recovery seems to be on track still, with the exception of my right shoulder. I can't tell if it's rotator cuff problems or a lack of stability in the shoulder due to the issues surrounding a couple of surgeries. The obvious one is that, when I got the thoracotomy to remove the tumors, they had to go through my lats to spread my ribs. As a result my lats are weak, which is showing on my DLs and bench for example. I can almost feel the scar line in the right lat as an area of weakness when I lift heavy. Another issue is that I had torn my tendon in my right pinky (I have an autoimmune situation which led to the cancer, and one of the meds I take has the unfortunate side effect of thinning out my tissues, including tendons); the surgeon did not do a great job and there's a ton of scar tissue in my hand that pulls on all the muscles in my forearm, which in turn stresses my bi/tricep on the right side, and may contribute to the shoulder situation. This is probably more than you wanted to know, but these are the most pressing recovery issues for me now. With regard to the cancer itself, my last CT scan was clean, so that's good for the moment.

I hope your work stress ebbs a bit, at least. Keep up the good work with the iron!

Page 11 of 187 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast