starting strength gym
Page 113 of 187 FirstFirst ... 1363103111112113114115123163 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,130 of 1870

Thread: Stuffed Superdud: Bumpy road to respectable lifting

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    SSD, you've really got to post those pics. Pleeeease.... put a happy face overtop your face if you are shy but I really wanna see a lifter dressed like Sonny Crockett.

Quote Originally Posted by Viola View Post
    SSD, you've really got to post those pics. Pleeeease.... put a happy face overtop your face if you are shy but I really wanna see a lifter dressed like Sonny Crockett.
    I concur, this is a solid look, and if it works I will possibly emulate. I suspect I'll look more like this guy though:

Quote Originally Posted by stuffedsuperdud View Post
    Hory sheet. Moar conditioning mode. Gym was like 105 degrees and 110% humidity...

Squat:
    20kg x10
    60x10
    90x10
    113x10x3

With 2-3 minutes rest.

Push press:
    20kg x10
    40x10
    50x10x3

Same 2-3 minutes rest.

The weights might be low but tonnage was way more than I could do with 3x5. I asked for a preview of what's next and was told that it'd be blocks of 5,3,1. Yea it's not our beloved LP => TM, but hey, it's different and I'm having fun so we'll see. Maybe I'll ask if I can squat bigger weights on top of this? Depends on how I feel tomorrow, I guess. That said, my legs are DOMSing now....very interesting sensation.

Hey so this is fun: Remember this shit?

I always just thought Miami Vice was a goofy buddy-cop show, and had no idea until now that it revolutionized menswear in the 80s. Well, the other day I was watching the show on Hulu while sweating my balls off in this swamp when it occurred to me, "Hey Sonny Crockett lives in a sweaty city too... I wonder if I can pull off his outfit....or will I just look like a Cuban douchebag.....?" [ellipsis level: MBasic] Definitely didn't want to shell out $$ for what might end up being a costume. Besides, you're suppose to sweat, get shitfaced, do coke, and beat hookers in a linen suit, right? Plus what's the point of shelling out for British-level detailing on something meant to look the exact opposite of a stiff upper lip? (Plus Brits don't know shit about what to do once the mercury rises past 65F) So I looked around and found that Macy's was starting to dump their summer stuff, and with the right stackage of codes, I was able to order a 3-piece (LOLWUT) and an extra pair of pants even, in their house brand, for like $90 shipped. Worth it for just the individual items alone...now to confirm that I am indeed not cool enough to pull off that look.
    Link! I want more linen

Quote Originally Posted by idlehands View Post
    Link! I want more linen
    I noticed that Don Johnson's jacket has some rather structured shoulders, especially compared to today's casual suits, which have little to no shoulder padding, so I looked it up and found out that's it's Armani? From back when Armani meant something? Too rich for my blood man. Here's the one I was talking about... Store brand, baby.

Tasso Elba Vested Linen Suit Separates, Only at Macy's

It's a bust for me so far though. The pants are fine, but they size the jackets using S-XXL, instead of actual #s. I normally wear a 44R, which usually translates to XL, but in this case, the XL was hyoooooge. I switched out out for an L and while the body fits all right, if a bit too boxy still, the shoulders got kind of restrictive. I'm going to see what the tailor thinks; might just end up keeping only the pants. Also, note that like most low- to mid-range department store suits, the armholes are cut pretty low, so it probably won't be as comfortable as the custom suit you have; the jacket will move around a lot when you lift your arms. Your upper body is much larger than mine though so maybe XL will work nicely for you?

They raised the price a bit though since the promo they were running several days ago; it's still pretty reasonable, bit not quite as sweet a steal. If you want to save like $30, maybe wait till the end of the summer when they start clearing this out...of course sizes become spottier by then, though I imagine XL-XXL will be around for the longest.
    Last edited by stuffedsuperdud; 08-12-2016 at 07:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    I looked at the sizes. lol@me being a XXXXL in their sizing scheme. I'd probably fit the XXXL though, if they had any.

Honestly, even in the photos on the typical DYEL male model, the fit is off. So $65 for the jacket and then $50 to a decent tailor and a $20 tip because you know you pissed him off having to work on this shitty cloth.
    Yea...that's the gist of it. I'm usually wary of dept store brands, including, or especially, their "designer" labels, for this reason. They use awful cuts that don't really fit/flatter anyone except perhaps a really fat guy, knowing that most guys grew up with moms buying clothes for them to grow into and are used to everything being too big, and then toss the unreasonable 350% markup on top for good measure. By the time you get it tailored to something close to usable, you could have bought a might nicer item for the same price and it'll include things that a tailor cannot add to or fix in a cheap jacket, e.g. the higher armholes, Bemberg lining, and perhaps a half-canvas front. I showed the tailor today what I had and he went, "Ehhh..it's okay, I guess...not too big. I can do it, but can you return it?" LOL.... I've been disappointed by the fact that NOVA is almost as expensive as SoCal, and tailoring rates are nearly identical: $40 for sleeves + another $50 to take in a jacket. For a pricey high-end item, sure, let's not take any chances, but for what amounts to a glorified towel, nah. The pants are comfy and cheap though so maybe just stick with that? And yea their sizing scheme is way off and clearly meant for people used to baggy items. I have a 17.5" neck, 20" shoulders, and 46" chest, which puts me squarely into their XL column, and they responded by throwing a potato sack at me.

Training:
    This conditioning/endurance thing is getting to me.....

Power clean + FS 2+1
    20kg x5
    40kgx1x2

Power clean + clean 2+3
    60x1x2
    70x1x2
    60x1

With 2-3 minutes rest

Deadlift with 2-count pause at knee:
    60x10
    110x8
    120x8
    130x8x2

With 2-3 minutes rest

Again, much more volume than a single set of 5 at 180kg. Low back feels like garbage already. I was sweating uncontrollably at the gym, which persisted even during the drive back to my place in an AC'ed car. I also took a cold shower and came out...yep sweating. Altogether I consumed about a gallon of BCAA/electrolyte water, and still have not had to take a whiz at all. I've also never been hungrier...and on that note time to fire up the grill while Kendrick Farris lifts in the background.

blah blah.....clothes....blah blah quasi crossfit workout ...blah...blah... while Kendrick Farris flails about in the background.
    Ftfy

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    Ftfy
    Heh......ehhhh....yea his heart didn't look to be in it at all and it's a relief that he totaled at all. Oh well. He's still brutally strong and jacked, so maybe he has a decade of physique coming up? There's always GRID. Hey I just noticed Pat Mendes shoulda been here competing for Brazil yesterday eh? TROLLOLOL... JK I met John Broz a few months ago and he's cool and not really the brash douchebag he plays on the internet; probably just realistic about how gambling with PEDs is part of the A session.

Gym was a fucking sauna and everyone was sluggish. I did:

Front squat with 2-count pause at bottom:
    60kgx5
    80x5x2
    90x5x3

Press from split jerk:
    20kgx10
    50x5x2
    60x5x3

Re: SHW, someone explain to me the rules for jury activation. I'd always thought that three whites or reds = no jury, but that's not how things went down tonight. Confuzzled. LOL at Aleksanyan and Talakhaze telling the obnoxious Persians in the crowd to go fuck themselves, btw.

Nick Miller saw the linen suit lying around and was like, "Uh...if you're dealing coke out of our house, well, that might affect our security clearances." Heh.
    Last edited by stuffedsuperdud; 08-16-2016 at 10:11 PM.

Heh......ehhhh....yea his heart didn't look to be in it at all and it's a relief that he totaled at all. Oh well. He's still brutally strong and jacked, so maybe he has a decade of physique coming up? There's always GRID. Hey I just noticed Pat Mendes shoulda been here competing for Brazil yesterday eh? TROLLOLOL... JK I met John Broz a few months ago and he's cool and not really the brash douchebag he plays on the internet; probably just realistic about how gambling with PEDs is part of the A session.

60kgx5
    80x5x2
    90x5x3

Press from split jerk:
    20kgx10
    50x5x2
    60x5x3

Re: SHW, someone explain to me the rules for jury activation. I'd always thought that three whites or reds = no jury, but that's not how things went down tonight. Confuzzled. LOL at Aleksanyan and Talakhaze telling the obnoxious Persians in the crowd to go fuck themselves, btw.

Nick Miller saw the linen suit lying around and was like, "Uh...if you're dealing coke out of our house, well, that might affect our security clearances." Heh.
    I *think* - although I've not looked for chapter and verse - that the Jury can get involved whenever they like.

60kgx5
    80x5x2
    90x5x3

Press from split jerk:
    20kgx10
    50x5x2
    60x5x3

Feel like we need pictures of the roommates

starting strength coach development program
    SSD,

I just read one of your comments in the "Olympics" thread from a while back and I wanted to point out a very important thing...Non Evans is NOT Scottish.

This is a potentially fatal mistake to make.