starting strength gym
Page 119 of 187 FirstFirst ... 1969109117118119120121129169 ... LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,190 of 1870

Thread: Stuffed Superdud: Bumpy road to respectable lifting

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Whoa.... it's all fun and games until somebody has an actual heart attack... I was just pretty sure it would be those Bulgarian guys who competed back in the eighties...

Hung over as fuck so of course it's time to train. My left wrist is still feeling pretty dodgy, and now my left groin decided to flare up too. It's been cramping randomly on me for a few weeks now and was really upset today bleh. I did:

Snatch:
    2kg x10
    40x2
    50x2
    60x2
    70x2
    75x2
    80x2x2

Snatch pulls:
    90x3
    110x3
    120x3

Snatch deadlift:
    130x5x3

Folks from my gym lifted at an AO-qualifying meet today. Pretty cool to be at a hardcore WL gym instead of it just being me and a few women. They started asking me about my next comp and we're thinking I'll finish this cycle and then do it again, better, and at the end of that one try to finally break out of embarrassment territory. So in 3-4 months?

Went to a AYC..uh, drink, I guess, event, had way too much bourbon and seafood and ended up in a drunken stein-holding contest. Beer and lifting! My two loves! Everyone there was in full-blown DYEL mode except for a jacked black guy who dropped out after a minute or so, so I was reasonably confident that I had the thing in the bag until I saw that the wiry little guy next to me wasn't flinching. It came down to the two of us and that's when I knew he wasn't going down any time soon. Ended up breaking down suddenly at the 3:00 mark in a fit of spasms (tetanus contractions?) while the other dude rode it out to 4:00. I asked what typical scores are and was told that in "high" level competition, 3:00-5:00. So....all these squats presses and pulls and I would come in roughly last against a bunch of chubby Bavarian office workers........FML.

Barely lifted because I'm a bitch. My groin and wrist felt better but now my other wrist and elbow turned dodgy on me. I did:

Power clean + clean 1+1
    40x1
    60x1
    70x1
    80x1
    90x1

I wanted to go up to 100 but the crispness just wasn't there and my wrist was whiny so I had to switch.

Clean pulls:
    110x5
    120x5
    130x5

Deadlift:
    150x5x3

LOL at Kim, amirite? Not gonna lie, I smiled when I saw the story, which led to some uncomfortable soul-searching, because here I was taking pleasure in the (supposed) misfortune of someone who, in a world of dictators, caliphates, human traffickers, and Trump, isn't much more than a voluptuous troll, just with an extra helping of flagrant vagina. In fact, now that I think about it, she's great at what she does, that is, being a waddling mockery of core American yes-this-plays-in-Peoria tenets, such as humility, self-sufficiency, and, above all else, hard work. You know, this stuff*:

CG was like, "You know, the fact that you hate her says more about your brainwashing than her sloth, right? You really think the 1% are some Greatest Generation guys? You just can't handle the truth she's exposing, that you work 80 hours a week so that someone else can do semen-soaked blow off a hooker's anus." That said, she was pretty amused too, so.... I guess the real question is, what's the over-under on Ocean's Eleven over here being on Kris's payroll?

*Neal McDonough is one of the most underrated guys in Hollywood and he and I should totally get shitfaced together, but this commercial is pretty oblivously over the top.... Also, why is he buttoning the bottom button of a suit like he's a fucking weatherman?

Quote Originally Posted by stuffedsuperdud View Post
    I guess the real question is, what's the over-under on Ocean's Eleven over here being on Kris's payroll?

I've read none of the articcles, only the headlines, so I am an expert on this matter:
    Hotel staff inside job

Come on man where's the gold ?

Quote Originally Posted by idlehands View Post
    Come on man where's the gold ?

Jerk progression:

Jerk balance:
    40kg x3x3

Jerk balance with step:
    40x3x3

Jerk from split:
    40x3x3

Jerk:
    40x3
    50x3
    60x3
    70x3
    80x3x2

The elbow continues to improve, though my wrists have been chronically sore for about two weeks now from all the mobbing and front racking.... Hopefully it slowly clears out by itself the way my shoulders did when I had the Polish guy yanking the barbell into the proper snatch position. Most importantly though, the footwork is, for the first time ever, looking like a proper split, and, this is super embarrassing, but the 80s were probably PRs if you filter out all the wobbly ones. Tomorrow, 180.

HOLY SHIT IT'S HERE!!

AE usually has two big sales a year: the Anniversary one in the spring and the Rediscover America one that starts on Columbus Day (or as we PC Californians call it, Indigeneous Peoples Day, because say no to genocidal Genoese men who suck at geography), rediscover being a playful comparison between AE's "Hey Millennials, we're still here!" marketing and Columbus's arrogance, or something like that? They used to mark everything down by 14.92% for the lulz, but it seems these days most things are 15% off, with their more popular items marked down by up to 40%?

I also just realized that their "European-inspired" models are named Yorktown, the battle during which we proudly BREXIT'ed our hotheaded asses (as seen in The Patriot!!!! Best movie evar.), and Cornwallis, the faggy lord in charge of the Redcoats that day. Given how proud they are of their Made in the USA status and their distinctly American designs, I'm sure there's a joke in there somewhere, I just know it, and if Paul Grangaard could explain it to me, I'd probably do a legit ROFL, but in the meantime I'm just scratching my dumb head. FuriousE and others, you Midwestern boys sure have a dry sense of humor.

But seriously though, it's not some lame clearance or anything; the ones seeing the deepest discounts are actually their most popular, elegant, versatile designs. Cereally take a look:

Rediscover America Sale

The Cornwallis referenced here a few weeks ago was marked down significantly so I guess we all know where my rent money is going this month, but but many others are getting deep discounts too: for those of you getting started, the extremely versatile and perfectly conservative Fifth Avenue and McCallister had their prices slashed pretty dramatically, though alas, the stalwart Park Avenue and Strand only received the base 15% off. AE seems to be expanding into work-boot territory (not sure how well they're doing against real work boots) so they have the Higgins Mill, Longbranch, and Normandy on the roster too for you stylish site supervisors, floor managers, and University of Minnesota - Duluth professors.

I promise I don't work for AE.
    Last edited by stuffedsuperdud; 10-06-2016 at 11:12 PM.

Ehhhhhhhh

Power clean + clean 1+1
    40x1
    60x1
    70x1
    80x1
    90x1
    100x1

Right elbow and both wrists really hot + not feeling strong, either.

Switched to:

Squat:
    70x5
    110x5
    140x5
    150x5
    160x5
    170x3

Ugh.............170 wasn't that heavy but I got really wobbly all of a sudden and thought I was going to pass out. Recall I did something like 170x5x3 a few months ago....ehh.....

"Moderate training for the mediocre man."
    -Brent Kim

^^RIP barbell brother in sadness and masturbation

Fear not, Brent is alive and doing well. He is just normal and successful now, watching us from above this mediocre moper prison.

starting strength coach development program
    Site didn't eat my post; I closed the window!! Aurgh.

I did:
    Snatch push press + OHS: 2+2

40kgx1
    50x1
    60x1
    70x1
    80x1
    90x1

1+1
    94x1 PR for OHS, I think. IIRC the previous best wa like 90x2 or something. This miiight also be a snatch push press PR too but I'll have to go back and check; I might have done 100 once.

The improvements in the right elbow and left knee seem that the movement is much smoother than it used to be, any anything I can get overhead I can OHS for at least one rep. In fact 94 was pretty easy, but I decided not to go full retarded because my left wrist has been really inflamed for two weeks now and anything with a snatch grip bothers it...probably doesn't help that I've been mostly just ignoring it..

Squat:
    94x5
    110x5
    130x5
    140x5
    150x5
    160x5
    170x5 well there you go then

Ugh..so I went down to the AE store finally, and went through my whole ritual in the process. That is to say, I spent about half an hour loitering outside the store sweating a cold sweat about dropping nearly three benjamins on something as frivolous as shoes. I had to look casual, too, since I'd been there before and was afraid the employees would recognize me and wonder WTF I was doing. I even threw some good money after bad, stalling by going downstairs for a cup of coffee and Chipotle. Well, finally I quit being a little bitch, went it, and now own the Cornwallises in blue. New rule: will post a mini-review as soon as I get them shined up.

Hey, here's a pet peeve of mine The thing is, things like AE's or a Hickey blazer or a heavy oxford shirt are expected to last upwards of 20 years, never wearing out or going out of style, but that is not true for most clothes, which are part of what's called fast fashion, in which things comically cheap, worn a few times, and then disposed of. I think I've mentioned before, that some recent survey suggested that each item in a woman's closet has been used on average seven times (to be fair, this is probably skewed by all the special items she's only had a chance to wear once). This is incredibly wasteful from a labor and materials point of view, which leads to all sorts of unsavory cost-cutting measures put on by the likes of H&M and Zara.......not to mention the fact that fast-fashion is often synonymous with ugly....and the part where this shit came home to roost the day my sister decided she loved Forever XXI and now constantly smells like if Godzilla burped up a polyester factory. Forever XXI is the devil's work, ironic considering the owners seem like fundamentalist Christians.

NM John Oliver says it much better than I can:

Edit: Looks like Jon North pulled through, but will never slam another bar or kill another PR again...so now he's going to be one of those white-suited preachermen????? Bizarre gear-shift is bizarre. And not to kick a man while he's down, but I found it ever so slightly amusing that his family and doctors feared that he had brain damage. Somebody needs to go and show the docs all his blog entries and YouTube videos; this is brain damage, yes, but it's not actually new.
    God Killed Me to Save Me
    Last edited by stuffedsuperdud; 10-10-2016 at 11:27 PM.