starting strength gym
Page 12 of 187 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: Stuffed Superdud: Bumpy road to respectable lifting

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Good to hear you're slowly but surely grinding through your setbacks. I've said it before and I'll say it again: your tenacity against some of the cards you've been dealt is absolutely inspirational. Really glad to hear the CT scans are coming back clean. This is actually a rather personal topic for me, as I design devices for cancer diagnostics. The hope is that one day, instead of having a patient in remission undergo a nervous CT scan every few months, we'll have sensors in the patient that will sound an alarm as soon as a single potentially rogue cell finds its way into circulation, giving oncologists a head start in treatment (not to mention some peace of mind). The technology is still several years away, unfortunately, but we'll get there. In the meantime, here's to a future of clean CT scans, Oldman!

4/20/2014
    Happy Easter / 420 Day
    Which isn't that interesting for an agnostic non-smoker, so to "celebrate" I hosted a lunchtime BBQ and helped myself to a few craft beers pre-workout. Bill Starr says it's fine so it's fine.

Push
    Bench: 200x5x3
    Easy.

Squat
    Squat: 345x5x3
    Not that easy. The last two reps of sets 2 and 3 were serious grinders BUT I actually managed a higher chest than I did with some reps at 340 and the strength in both legs is finally equalizing out, so I must take it.

Sn/CJ

Pulls

4/22/2014
    You've heard of squat and leave, right? Well my legs were begging me to leave them alone, so, I give you: pull and leave!

Push

Squat

Sn/CJ

Pulls
    Eccentric clean pull:
    60kgx5x2 (as a bonus I muscle cleaned the last rep of both sets and pressed it because Adorable European Girl was looking and suddenly I was awkward and horny and 15 again, minus the acne)
    100kgx5
    130kgx5
    150kgx5
    155kgx5

Deadlift: 176kgx5 Weight and rep PR
    My low back rounded on rep 3 or so, but fortunately, no harm no foul.

4/26/2014
    Missed a training day or two this week doesn't matter had sex.

Push
    Snatch grip push press: 50kgx5, 60kgx5x2
    A couple of the 60kg reps were straight up presses. 60kg was formerly my 1RM so I guess I can't complain about recent progress.

Squat
    Squat: 350x5x3 I am not 100% sure but I think is a rep PR for 350.
    A few reps were ugly when the bar path wobbled out of the groove and I had to drop the chest to save it, but got all reps and I didn't die so I can't complain.

Sn/CJ

Pulls
    Last edited by stuffedsuperdud; 04-26-2014 at 08:21 PM.

First, you've done a lot of good work, ssd! Great squat rep PR, especially!

Quote Originally Posted by stuffedsuperdud View Post
    Good to hear you're slowly but surely grinding through your setbacks. I've said it before and I'll say it again: your tenacity against some of the cards you've been dealt is absolutely inspirational. Really glad to hear the CT scans are coming back clean. This is actually a rather personal topic for me, as I design devices for cancer diagnostics. The hope is that one day, instead of having a patient in remission undergo a nervous CT scan every few months, we'll have sensors in the patient that will sound an alarm as soon as a single potentially rogue cell finds its way into circulation, giving oncologists a head start in treatment (not to mention some peace of mind). The technology is still several years away, unfortunately, but we'll get there. In the meantime, here's to a future of clean CT scans, Oldman!
    This is pretty cool. I have read about nano-tech approaches to these kinds of diagnostics. Did you study biomedical engineering? It seems like a really interesting field. From what I have read, these kinds of technologies, along with approaches that can broadly engage the way that cancer cells protect themselves against the human immune system, are the wave of the future.

4/26/2014
    Welcome to your friendly neighborhood squat-n-go. Schedule has been a nightmare all week, coupled with some digestive distress, dehydration, and the heat wave in the area (This is California for you snobs from places with those things you call "seasons"
    and I am a gigantic pussy.)

Push

Squat
    Squat: 355x5x3
    Definitely a volume PR, but an ugly one. Reps 4 and 5 on all 3 sets were kind of gnarly, with a collapsing chest. I squat high-bar, so the effects are especially egregious. Now that the adrenaline has worn off, I am relieved I wasn't hurt, actually. Might need a deadlift day or two before I go for 360. In any case, will be transitioning to TM for squats very soon.

Sn/CJ

Pulls

Quote Originally Posted by Oldman View Post
    This is pretty cool. I have read about nano-tech approaches to these kinds of diagnostics. Did you study biomedical engineering? It seems like a really interesting field. From what I have read, these kinds of technologies, along with approaches that can broadly engage the way that cancer cells protect themselves against the human immune system, are the wave of the future.
    Hey Oldman! Yes my degrees are in biomedical engineering. Got into it mostly by accident and sort of stuck with it since. Not a bad accident! I work on those microscale diagnostics you mention; the goal is that by reducing our sensors to the size of the cells, we can achieve a detection sensitivity not possible using existing bulk methods. It's exciting, but still very much in the works. Progress is picking up exponentially though so maybe in a few years everyone will be using them.

That said, I am just a glorified toolmaker. The molecular/cell/developmental biologists are the real heroes here. I'm convinced that in the next decade or so, cancer will go the way of AIDS in the 1st World: a chronic condition that, thanks to science and technology, can be kept in check such that it's something patients die with, not of. This will happen once the biologists complete their mission of mapping out all the different ways a cell can collect mutations and become malignant, and invent massive arsenal of antibodies that specifically target and suppress each mutation. This would allow oncologists to make patient specific cocktails that target the tumor cells with a level of specificity that only antibodies can achieve. If a cell should survive, it would be simply a matter of isolating it, finding out how it varied from its dead comrades, and then modifying the weapon to match.

Apologies for the run-on: it's actually pretty easy to lose the forest in the trees when talking to other guys in the field, and I love discussing these things with people of a different perspective, especially one as personal as yours. We live in an age of scientific/technological advancement the likes of which have never been seen in the history of our species! I am eagerly anticipating the day when we look back at cancer the way we do all the other formerly mighty diseases we've slain to arrive at this final battle.

5/3/2014
    Push
    Press: 157.5x5x5
    Nice and easy. 160 next time.

Squat

Sn/CJ

Pulls
    Eccentric snatch pulls:
    60kgx5
    100x5
    122x5
    127x5

Snatch deadlift:
    135kgx5

5/5/2014

Push
    Bench press: 205x5x3
    Easy. Last two times I trained bench, LP petered out around here, but today's stuff felt mighty fine. Pretty sure I can milk this all the way to 225x5x3....assuming I didn't just jinx myself.

Squat

Sn/CJ

Pulls
    Eccentric clean pulls:
    60kgx5
    100x5
    130x5
    152x5
    157x5 PR for this exercise....but only in that I stood up with this weight and got some hip English into it. Not sure how it compares to my 155x5 from previously. PR for pulls don't really count, I guess, since there's no definitive "got the rep" sign.

Deadlift: 180kgx5 Weight and rep PR by 4kg
    I was going to do 179, but it was much easier to load 180 on the bar than 179, so I thought, "Pretty sure every single person on http://www.badassoftheweek.com/ would ridicule me for going to such great lengths in order to pussy out on a kg" and just did the 180. Twas embarrassingly easy. Next up, 405lbs even.

5/7/2014
    Definitely not feeling so good. Remember back in 2008 when word got out that the Chinese weightlifting coaches completely sequestered their athletes to the point where most of them hadn't been home for the entire Olympic cycle and Cao Lei wasn't informed of her mother's illness and death until after the funeral? We had fun demonizing them and riding our high horses but now that I think about it, the coaches probably did the right thing. Personal stressors are hugely detrimental to good training and if I were an athlete and the coach dropped some bad news on me that screwed up my training such that I missed out on the podium (on home soil!), rendering all four years of work meaningless, I'd be pretty fucking pissed. That said, I am not an international athlete and have to deal with this bullshit, so it is what it is, for lack of anything more profound.

Push
    I was hoping to do press ID, but the squats....oy the squats....

Squat
    Squat: 360x5x3 for a surprisingly easy rep PR.
    On the very last rep I was tired and GM'ed it a bit, bit the rest were spot on. Then the adrenaline crash came and I nearly fainted while stripping the bar. Heh.....
    I don't remember my lifetime 1RM PR exactly, but it was either 375 or 385. In either case, I am closing in on it for 3x5. I am not exactly the most positive guy in the world, but not gonna lie, this is slightly exciting.

Sn/CJ

Pulls

5/10/2014
    Now that my lower body #s are comparable to where they were right before I was hurt, I thought I'd do a bit of a test to see if it translated back to the quick lifts, so....clean party it was.

Push

Squat

Sn/CJ
    Clean:
    60kgx3
    70x3
    80x3
    90x2
    100x2
    110x0,1
    115x1
    121x1 Lifetime PR by 1kg Looks like I'm back.

I cut it off at the 1kg PR even though I was confident I had more pull in me, because the calf was starting to whine + I had a bit of trouble standing up with this one. Glad to know my recent focus on pulling is paying off. Guess I'd better front squat more though, because Lidia Valentin isn't going to want to make sweet all-night hanging-from-the-rafters love to someone who gets pinned by her snatch.

Pulls
    Eccentric clean pulls:
    130kgx5
    153x5
    158x5

These felt hard, probably from the pre-exhaust.

Deadlift: 183kgx5 Weight and rep PR by 3kg
    And then I realized that 183kg is technically 0.3lbs short of 405lbs FUCK. So technically, after all these years, I've STILL not pulled 4 American wheels. Ahahaha oops.
    Last edited by stuffedsuperdud; 05-11-2014 at 05:12 AM.

starting strength coach development program
    5/11/2014
    Sanity check, day 2
    I tweaked my wrist slightly catching that last clean yesterday so decided to cut out today's scheduled presses and check my snatches instead. I haven't snatched in over two months, focusing instead on strength.

Push

Squat

Sn/CJ
    Snatch:
    40kgx3
    50x3
    60x3
    70x2
    80x1
    90x0 Missed badly in front
    90x0 Threw it over my head

My heart rate was pretty high for these two. The weight felt very light coming off the floor, but I mentally flubbed it both times. The misses let me know though that 90 isn't heavy at all, so I calmed down, and boom
    90x1 Easy 2kg PR
    Don't get me wrong: 90kg is beyond pathetic for a -105 lifter but it does validate my "just get strong" experiment, so I'm pretty happy about it. I'm sure after the technique burns back in over the next few weeks, I'll be getting up to 100kg and beyond.

92x0. I took a crack at 92 and got it locked out but I was slow standing up (wary of knee) and it slipped forward out of the groove and I lost it. My elbow tendonitis flared up a bit at this point and I called it a day rather than risking anything scary.

Pulls

Three PR's in a weekend? I'll take it.