starting strength gym
Page 135 of 187 FirstFirst ... 3585125133134135136137145185 ... LastLast
Results 1,341 to 1,350 of 1870

Thread: Stuffed Superdud: Bumpy road to respectable lifting

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I went to a tailor in Bangkok because that's what you do, right? Really nice place, fabulous fabrics. When I picked up my suits they were cut with really wide pants, possibly because tiny Thai men need more bulk in their clothing to look bigger? Also this was before ultra tapered everything and skinny leg jeans. Either way it all looked pretty poor on me as a fat Westerner, but I didn't have time to re alter it before my flights, and I politely agreed they were fantastic and paid the remainder and left. If probably do it again, bring a little more direct with what I want.

Quote Originally Posted by stuffedsuperdud View Post
    Aha actually, my most hardboiled days, if you can call them that, are behind me, thank Buddha. anniemichael, are you familiar with a ramen place called Shinsengumi in Fountain Valley? I used to go there and try to drown the depression with salty soup and cheap sake. I fancied myself one of those romantic burnouts, but really I was just an asshole eating noodles while all around me people were trying to sober up and waiters shouted over our heads in Japanese.
    Not familiar with it, but that sounds about right for Fountain Valley. TBH this whole paragraph, shifted to present tense, could be a text message from my brother who is 24 and lives in Tustin. Or a passage from a Haruki Murakami novel.

I feel like I've missed the accompanying DVD to a cyberpunk romance novel. Subscribed.

Congrats on the squat, you dandy bastard.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Rest View Post
    I went to a tailor in Bangkok because that's what you do, right? Really nice place, fabulous fabrics. When I picked up my suits they were cut with really wide pants, possibly because tiny Thai men need more bulk in their clothing to look bigger? Also this was before ultra tapered everything and skinny leg jeans. Either way it all looked pretty poor on me as a fat Westerner, but I didn't have time to re alter it before my flights, and I politely agreed they were fantastic and paid the remainder and left. If probably do it again, bring a little more direct with what I want.
    Yea, these guys tend to have a house-cut if you will, and try not to deviate from it unless you really hold their feet to the fire. They're supposedly especially blatant about it with Western tourists, whom they know are one-and-done customers anyway so why bother putting in their best efforts? Probably the easiest solution to this is to just bring a pair of pants you like and have them use it as a reference. Sizing you up and and making tweaks after the try-on garment is already made is a pain; transcribing numbers is easier.

Quote Originally Posted by anniemichael View Post
    Not familiar with it, but that sounds about right for Fountain Valley. TBH this whole paragraph, shifted to present tense, could be a text message from my brother who is 24 and lives in Tustin. Or a passage from a Haruki Murakami novel.
    It's right off the 405 Brookhurst-South exit. Check it out the next time you're in town.

Today:
    You win some you lose some:

Moar pussy:
    20kg x3
    40x3
    50x3
    60x3
    70x2
    80x0
    77x2
    80x2
    90x0
    85x1,0

I am hitting the power position with much greater frequency now, but the sore right elbow means my lockouts are very hesitant: all misses were from an inability to stabilize it overhead. Bleh.

Hey it's about to be Friday again. The Latin girl resurfaced to complicate matters. Her (equally Latin) cousin was like, "When you didn't call her last week she stayed up all night binging on Heart and Wilson Philips."
    "I did call her. She told me she was busy."
    "Uh, and you gave up just because of that?"
    "What? I know what 'busy' means. It means she's out. Right?"
    "Oh that's cute. You're such a boy. Don't do that again."
    So we're 30 going on 14? I can't. I just can't.
    Last edited by stuffedsuperdud; 02-16-2017 at 10:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    stay away
    Agreed. That's some bull shit. Don't forget if you chase her and catch her , she is Latin so he head games and drama go the other way when things go south.

Red flag !

It's fine. It's got a poor long-term prognosis, I know, but in the short run I kind of get off on these fuck-fucks....probably because manic-depressive BPD narcissistic mother? Or just a self-fulfilling prophecy? Either way, Freud laughed.

Today:
    Clean:
    20kg x5
    40x5
    60x3
    80x3
    90x2
    100x1
    110x1

Power position continues to improve but the sore right elbow is kind of annoying.

Pause squat:
    20x10
    60x5
    100x3
    130x3
    150x3
    170x3x2

The left knee is a bit irritated from standing up clumsily with a snatch on Thursday, but I've mangled it enough times now to know this one is not serious. Kind of annoying though. My hammies are sore too, as well as my upper back from drilling the pull. Maybe I'll finally look like I lift?

I shelled out for the Sheltons they put on clearance. Stand by for tryhard toolbaggery.

EDIT: Lyudmila's spending the long weekend visiting her parents in some horrible corner of Louisiana and just sent me a pic of her reassembling her mom's engine while sporting a Daisy Duke type outfit. I should just listen to Gilchrest on all the topics.
    Last edited by stuffedsuperdud; 02-18-2017 at 05:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by idlehands View Post
    Agreed. That's some bull shit. Don't forget if you chase her and catch her , she is Latin so he head games and drama go the other way when things go south.

Red flag !
    Heh I'd tell you not to generalize, but she straight up went "We're Latin. This is part of the deal lol" It's fine, I'm going with it, and if she sets my car on fire, well, it'd be a good story for the insurance folks. Can't replace my Adistars though. Once more, into the fray....

Hey so this:
    Poooooon:
    20kg x5
    40x5
    50x3
    60x3
    70x3
    80x2
    85x1
    90x0,1
    92x1
    95x0,1
    98x1
    102x1 Easy P fucking R, bitches
    103x0x3

Got great extension on all three tries at 103, but the upper body strength just wasn't there, and the bar crashed down on me instead of me punching up to receive it. So 12 week cycle nets +1kg...sounds about right. Coach is optimistic about the upcoming cycle though, with the elbow cleared up and all. And we're going to work that upper body strength...

Pause squat:
    20kg x10
    60x5
    100x3
    130x2
    150x2
    170x2
    180x2x3

both your lifts and your sex life seem to have improved of late. What's your secret? Is it the shoes?

Well the lifting is getting a little bit better anyway....

All of this and the fabulous wardrobe are symptoms of a greater root cause, and that cause is an early midlife crisis. In a humorous little twist, the paper copy of my PhD dissertation came in the mail on my 30th birthday. I doubt more than three or four people will ever read that thing in general and the paper copies are collecting dust now. Basically God himself giving me the finger and telling me I wasted my twenties. Did I have a minor panic attack when I opened the package and saw what it contained? A little bit yes.

That and most of the men in my family tend to die in their sixties so I might very well be closing in on my halfway point, no exaggeration. Of course all this might be moot anyways since we will probably all incinerate in a nuclear Armageddon in the next six months or so.

So there's a lot to do and not much time in which to do it.
    Last edited by stuffedsuperdud; 02-21-2017 at 12:53 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Sweet Poon, as the kids say these days.