starting strength gym
Page 142 of 187 FirstFirst ... 4292132140141142143144152 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,420 of 1870

Thread: Stuffed Superdud: Bumpy road to respectable lifting

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Not joking: Taking all this to heart. Ish. As best I can anyway; I'm a slow learner though.

I had to work late the past few days but today I actually trained a little:

Power jerk:
    20kg x5
    40x5
    50x5
    60x5
    70x5
    80x5x2

BTN power jerk:
    85x5x2

Wary of the elbow. It held up okay.....now under observation.

Front squat:
    60x5
    100x5
    110x5x3
    60x5 super slow mo to work on front rack mobility. Coach is starting to think maybe it's a limb-ratio thing for me, namely that my forearms are too long relative to my upper arms, and as such my hands are out of position when racking? You guys probably saw from the video I posted from that meet last year that I catch cleans awkwardly and then have to clumsily transition to a jerk grip; yea....we're still working on that. Ugh Chemerkin mobility.

I'll have stories later. In the meantime, here's Lyudmila's attempt at talking shit at trivia night: "Did you forget your brain today??! I think you forgot your brain today!"

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    Sounds cute. I like her, at least from the description thus far.
    Oh most def. Aside from tight body, the fancy education, and thoroughly refined tastes and social graces (what's "finishing school" btw? because apparently that happened), she's adorkable as fuck...and has no idea, either. The Latin chick has none of these things going for her except perhaps in the looks department. But I'm only a rational person when paid to be.

Today:
    Block cleans from knee:
    40kg x5
    60x5
    80x3
    85x3
    90x3x2
    95x3

Elbow survived.

Squat:
    60x5
    100x5
    130x5
    150x5
    160x5
    170x4
    Shoulda been 170x5 and 180x5, but my calves have been cramping up bad and really flared up during the cleans and continued through the squats. Bleh.

I've been tracking my food. Will log when I am not as drunk as I am at the moment. Shit kinda went sideways on me today.

Not doing myself any favors:

After training yesterday, instead of rehydrating and getting my 50g/50g of carbs/protein, I went straight to to an 80's concert in Falls Church for several hours of being dry humped by a drunk mixture of ironic girls who weren't alive in the 80s and sloppy older ones desperately squished into their old aerobics pants...with heel straps.

Woke up hung over and hurting in my head, shoulders, elbow, low back, both calves. Limped to the gym and did mobility work for about an hour, and then some random overhead movements with 40kg for sets of 5-10. (OHS, press, snatch press) and biceps and triceps work with the empty bar. My back is still super sore as expected from the block work, which coach added to address my underdeveloped upper body and over-reliance on leg strength.

Food-wise, working backwards as memory serves:

Friday:
    1. 50g whey in water
    2. Cheese steak with about 8oz meat, bit of cheese, grilled veggies, and a bit of mayo + fries
    3. 100g whey in water (intra-training)
    4. Like six shots of Jack Daniels whoooooops
    5. Double quarter pounder with cheese + 10 piece nuggets to try to shake the booze, which failed and made me hate myself more

Thursday:
    1. 50g whey in water
    2. Double cheeseburger, no bun but with fries + a few chicken tenders. I really need to stop eating cafeteria food...
    3. 100g whey in water (intra-training)
    4. Not positive but I think I got a chicken bowl at Chipotle after training

Wednesday:
    1. 50g whey in water
    2. Chicken noodle soup with extra veggies, sparse noodles
    3. Same as 2??
    4. I think I went to an Irish pub with Lyudmila but I am not sure if that was Wednesday or Tuesday. I had a crappy little shepherd's pie and two IPAs and took some verbal abuse.

Uuuuggggh-I-Can't from the blocks:
    20kg x many
    40x5
    50x3
    60x3
    70x3

The triceps tendon started complaining almost right away so this was mostly just to confirm that I still know how to snatch. All reps felt easy.

Squat:
    20kg x10
    60x5
    100x5
    130x5
    160x5
    170x5
    180x5

There was a giant knot in my upper back all day and it's still grumpy with me.

Foodstuffs:
    Saturday (ate too much)
    1. Two Fiber One bars (pre/intra training)
    2. Chipotle bowl, double chicken + guac
    3. 32oz gumbo from Wegmans (anyone here like Wegman's???? Going to that place is a fucking special occasion I love it so much)
    4. 20oz porterhouse, medium rare + salt/pepper
    5. I was really full at this point but Lyudmila wanted to go get sushi so we got sushi. How do you quantify this stuff? Uh...I had the equivalent of maybe one big roll?? We ordered a bunch of stuff but that girl really knows how to chow down and I didn't get much before it ran out.

Sunday: Was probably supposed to train but woke up way too sore
    1. 4oz chicken fried steak + small biscuit/gravy + two eggs because Lyudmila wanted brunch. (NB she had an assload of corned beef hash, bacon, sausages, eggs, and grumbled about them not giving her enough meat.) I had to make it quick though because of the following pile of poor judgement and total lack of self-respect:
    2. I went with the Latin girl (yea yea) to a nasty outdoor festival* where we were drenched in colorful dust from sacks labeled mostly in Hindi, but also read "For Industrial Use Only" in English. Ugh 3rd World shenanigans.... I got some lamb + rice off a food truck. Didn't eat the veggies becase e.coli etc. She's a vegetarian (why am I doing this again???) and got the falafel equivalent, hated it, and let me eat it.
    3. 20oz prime rib (this was pretty good) + 12oz Sam Adams + 2 dinner rolls with cinnamon butter, a few oz apple sauce

Monday:
    1. 50g whey in water
    2. About 8oz ground beef + 4oz mashed potatoes + 8oz baked chicken covered in some nasty sauce
    3. Lyudmila came around with some sort of Eastern European dessert so I had about 2oz of that. Kind of like a cinnamon roll, but thicker and denser (pre-lifting)
    4. 2 Fiber One bars (intra)
    5. 8oz muesli + 16oz milk (post)
    6. 20oz porterhouse again

*Pretty sure I discovered a whole new level of FriendZone when in the parking lot after this shitshow, she felt compelled to grab a bunch of wetwipes from her purse and scrub the colorful crud off all the holes in my head that I had missed. I was thinking, "Fuuuuuuaaaaark wrong orifices" while she was saying, "Heh I feel like such a mom all of a sudden." It's fine she won't be a distraction this coming weekend at least because she'll be at a three-day astrology seminar (with vegan catering) in Maryland. Here comes another suicide attempt.

My co-worker, the one who just discovered Idiocracy, was like, "Holy shit why are you such a bitch? Or is it pussy? Sorry, I don't know the difference. But come on man you keep this shit up and and I'm going to report you to OPM for associating with a known anti-sciencer. How about you sack up and get a real girl?"

Quote Originally Posted by stuffedsuperdud View Post
    Uuuuggggh-I-Can't from the blocks:
    20kg x many
    40x5
    50x3
    60x3
    70x3

The triceps tendon started complaining almost right away so this was mostly just to confirm that I still know how to snatch. All reps felt easy.

Squat:
    20kg x10
    60x5
    100x5
    130x5
    160x5
    170x5
    180x5

There was a giant knot in my upper back all day and it's still grumpy with me.

Foodstuffs:
    Saturday (ate too much)
    1. Two Fiber One bars (pre/intra training)
    2. Chipotle bowl, double chicken + guac
    3. 32oz gumbo from Wegmans (anyone here like Wegman's???? Going to that place is a fucking special occasion I love it so much)
    4. 20oz porterhouse, medium rare + salt/pepper
    5. I was really full at this point but Lyudmila wanted to go get sushi so we got sushi. How do you quantify this stuff? Uh...I had the equivalent of maybe one big roll?? We ordered a bunch of stuff but that girl really knows how to chow down and I didn't get much before it ran out.

Sunday: Was probably supposed to train but woke up way too sore
    1. 4oz chicken fried steak + small biscuit/gravy + two eggs because Lyudmila wanted brunch. (NB she had an assload of corned beef hash, bacon, sausages, eggs, and grumbled about them not giving her enough meat.) I had to make it quick though because of the following pile of poor judgement and total lack of self-respect:
    2. I went with the Latin girl (yea yea) to a nasty outdoor festival* where we were drenched in colorful dust from sacks labeled mostly in Hindi, but also read "For Industrial Use Only" in English. Ugh 3rd World shenanigans.... I got some lamb + rice off a food truck. Didn't eat the veggies becase e.coli etc. She's a vegetarian (why am I doing this again???) and got the falafel equivalent, hated it, and let me eat it.
    3. 20oz prime rib (this was pretty good) + 12oz Sam Adams + 2 dinner rolls with cinnamon butter, a few oz apple sauce

Monday:
    1. 50g whey in water
    2. About 8oz ground beef + 4oz mashed potatoes + 8oz baked chicken covered in some nasty sauce
    3. Lyudmila came around with some sort of Eastern European dessert so I had about 2oz of that. Kind of like a cinnamon roll, but thicker and denser (pre-lifting)
    4. 2 Fiber One bars (intra)
    5. 8oz muesli + 16oz milk (post)
    6. 20oz porterhouse again

*Pretty sure I discovered a whole new level of FriendZone when in the parking lot after this shitshow, she felt compelled to grab a bunch of wetwipes from her purse and scrub the colorful crud off all the holes in my head that I had missed. I was thinking, "Fuuuuuuaaaaark wrong orifices" while she was saying, "Heh I feel like such a mom all of a sudden." It's fine she won't be a distraction this coming weekend at least because she'll be at a three-day astrology seminar (with vegan catering) in Maryland. Here comes another suicide attempt.

My co-worker, the one who just discovered Idiocracy, was like, "Holy shit why are you such a bitch? Or is it pussy? Sorry, I don't know the difference. But come on man you keep this shit up and and I'm going to report you to OPM for associating with a known anti-sciencer. How about you sack up and get a real girl?"
    Oh man. I can't even when people anti science. My dismissing of them is written all over my face and I can't help but try to logic them. #missionToCivilize. And she's not even a play thing ? Bro!

What? Not sciencey enough for you? National Council for Geocosmic Research | Astrological Community, Research, Education The NCGR is raising the standards of astrological research bro.

A vegan astrologer? I don't care how how hot she is it ain't worth it. Step away from the wacky lady.

Quote Originally Posted by iSquat View Post
    A vegan astrologer? I don't care how how hot she is it ain't worth it. Step away from the wacky lady.
    I couldn't even make it work with a vegan dental hygienist who's idea of lifting/working out was silly dumbbell stuff done at home...and I was not in the friendzone. Vegan astrologer is a whole new level.

The friendzone is tricky but doable. I knew a guy who knew a guy whos brother's friend made it out successfully and had a relationship.

Really dig your log.

She made an anti-vaxx comment today to complete the natural-wellness-blogger cycle. It's fine. So....................

Front squat:
    20kg x10
    60x5
    90x5
    110x5x3

The mwod-loving coach had me foam roll for the first time in a year or so because he caught my elbows dropping during the reps and thinks my crappy front rack, elbow problems, etc. are due at least partly to tight lats. I cried the whole time, as my entire body is apparently one big trigger point. Didn't help that we only have PVC pipes wrapped in what looks like cut up yoga mats, and no squishy foam rollers.

Lyudmila was talking about how growing up they didn't have homework, and after school all the kids would organize themselves into little groups in the streets and play. I made a joke about the Slovakian bubble gum gang from Hostel. She called me an idiot American and asked what I did instead.
    "Uh, we have formalized sports sometimes. I fenced....well, I wrestled for a bit but that shit was hard and bitches play bitch sports with future Yalies. Oh and I had to go to extra school to do extra math."
    She goes, "WTF? Extra school? I went to fifth grade in Louisiana and those kids were two years behind Russian standards at least. And that's with extra school??"
    "No, well, not everyone had extra school. I just had a neurotic mom who wanted me to go to MIT."
    " I see.....so....." Here she paused and snickered.
    "So...."
    "So.....all that extra math instead of playing....*giggle* would you say then that your current social awkwardness is the........AFTERMATH??!?!? HAHHAHAHAHAHAHHA OHMYGOD...ohmygodIcantbreathe.....af-af-aftermath....get it?!"

rekd

Today I had (too much food....shit):
    1. 6 scrambled eggs + 2 strips bacon + 4oz grits
    2. Cheese steak with 8oz lean beef + bit of cheddar + a few fries
    3. Fiber One bar (peanut butter flavor...tastes like Reese's PB cups...amazing)
    4. 50g whey in water (intra)
    5. 8oz muesli + 12oz milk (post)
    6. 8oz chicken breast + bit of noodles

Yesterday:
    1. 50g whey in water
    2. Footlong Subway Italian hero with 2x meat, swiss, light mayo
    3. Fish and chips from Vola's Dockside Grill because it's spring
    Last edited by stuffedsuperdud; 04-12-2017 at 11:52 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by stuffedsuperdud View Post
    3. Fiber One bar (peanut butter flavor...tastes like Reese's PB cups...amazing)
    I must try this immediately...