starting strength gym
Page 155 of 187 FirstFirst ... 55105145153154155156157165 ... LastLast
Results 1,541 to 1,550 of 1870

Thread: Stuffed Superdud: Bumpy road to respectable lifting

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Been dreading this post and putting it off on account of not doing anything but active recovery the past few days....but here we are now.

TLDR I bombed out on a bitch weight.

The longer story:
    I weighed 237lbs for some reason a week before the meet and figured I had to do a water cut. Ended up weighing in at 220 WTF? Immediately started replenishing with Gatorade and Triscuits over 90 minutes.

Started warmups 30 minutes out and was feeling great:

Snatch
    40x3
    50x3
    60x3
    70x2 nbd

Then they called us out for introductions, and when I went back into the warmup room it was as if someone had completed shut off the intensity. Couldn't get my heart rate back past 60bpm or so, and whole body felt super slow. Proceeded to do:

80x0
    85x0
    88x0

All near misses where I had the barbell overhead but couldn't hold it. Coach tried to dial my opener back but it was too late.

Went out and did:
    92x0
    92x0
    Coach bumped me up to force someone else out for 93 and buy me a few minutes. I then came out and did
    93x0
    Almost saved it by running under, but ran out of platform space. Next time start further back!

I didn't want to bother with C&J but a lot of people from the gym had come out to support me and help me load the warmup bar and count reps, so I got it together a bit and did, in the back

CJ:
    40x3
    60x2
    70x2
    80x1
    90x1
    95x1

and then went out and did basically three warmup lifts:
    100x1
    105x1
    108x1

A far cry from the 115, 120, 123 we were planning on, but the coaches just wanted me to end the cycle on a more positive note.

In the autopsy we think next time we'll just have to do a better job of jumpstarting me during warmups, esp if there was an interruption. Next local meet is in about a month if I choose to go, and the next big one is in October, so two chances to expunge this bullshit.

For now, taking advantage of the endurance/conditioning block to drill the power position:

Snatch:
    20kg x many
    40x3x2
    50x3
    60x3x2

A few of these felt really easy and coach said they finally look like what snatches should look like. "Maybe this time we can finally turn that 215 squat into at least a 120 snatch?" Related: I saw the latest nutswinger "I read SS 3rd Ed yesterday and weightlifting coaches don't care about strength! Love me, Rip!" post upstairs and anyone who thinks that you can outrun sloppy technique with a lot of muscle or your inborn SVJ can take a look at this damn log. But I'm not getting my hands dirty arguing with those guys. MBasic, that's your job. Though TBH Rip's stance has softened significantly since 2011, possibly because all the old USAW dinosaurs are long gone and the new ones all program for squat and DL PRs in addition to technical improvements, and Mike Wittmer is up there serving as the voice of reason, so maybe we're Gucci anyway.

Hey man. Water cuts are the devil!

There's always next time.

Blame it on that Asshole McCarthy and his undue expectations...I would.

My condolences on the bomb out.
    This is my worst fear when/if I ever compete . . .
    I think I'll select a weight I can Power Snatch for the opener. Serious.

That's a amazing water cut; have you thought about body building? (/jk)
    Not to be a dick and dwell on it . . .but how? 17 lbs?

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    Get laid afterwards?
    Bah. Lil L (Big L*) wanted to come watch but had to go do a church charity thing. I met her later for dinner and when she found out what happened actually started yelling at me. "You just didn't focus. You probably started thinking about work, huh? I should have been there to bitchslap your mind into the game. Next time. Next time I'm coming and kicking your ass."

So no then.

Quote Originally Posted by idlehands View Post
    Hey man. Water cuts are the devil!

There's always next time.
    Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    My condolences on the bomb out.
    This is my worst fear when/if I ever compete . . .
    I think I'll select a weight I can Power Snatch for the opener. Serious.

That's a amazing water cut; have you thought about body building? (/jk)
    Not to be a dick and dwell on it . . .but how? 17 lbs?
    It's not the end of the world, and the coaches do have us open conservatively. "Openers are your final warmups. It's the 3rd lift that counts." Very sensible. I'm just a bitch. RE: the water, I don't think it's as exaggerated as the swing suggests. 237 was probably just a weird aberration, a combination of maybe some water bloat due to carbs/salt and maybe a big meal. The 220 was on their scale, which a few other lifters suggested was biased low. So it was probably more like a 10lb swing tops. Then again, I did have a whole gallon of diluted Gatorade though and didn't have to pee till much later, so maybe I did cut more than was anticipated/appropriate??

Quote Originally Posted by Chris McCarthy View Post
    Blame it on that Asshole McCarthy and his undue expectations...I would.
    Yea fuck you, asshole. Fear not, I'll get you that 110/130 shortly.

Today:
    Starting the new cycle

Hang snatch from thigh:
    20kg x many many many
    40x4
    50x4
    60x4
    65x3 (missed the 4th)
    67x4x2 Got mad and hit all these easily

*Lil L fell off the keto wagon HARD. She had been mumbling about wanting rice and noodles and various exotic carbs that she normally doesn't even like, and then on Friday afternoon, we had a division BBQ, after which the director's secretary was tasked with getting rid of the mountain of leftovers. Well, she moved them all to the break room and left...and along came Lyudmila, who over the course of the afternoon and early evening ate several brownies, half an apple pie, a bunch of lemon bar things, and a completely untouched pallet of Kirkland signature croissants. Like, the whole fucking box. The next day she made me take her to Costco where she promptly wandered into the pastries section. I told her to stay the keto course, and that's when she confessed to what she did on Friday. Yikes. She ended up getting two loaves of bread ("Ergh these are still warm!") and then ate one of them in the car with a tub of salmon dip. I'm not arguing against someone this hungry. Guys, get yourself a girl who looks at you the way Big L looks at palmiers.

First off, sorry to hear the meet went poorly.

Second off:

Quote Originally Posted by stuffedsuperdud View Post
    Bah. Lil L (Big L*) wanted to come watch but had to go do a church charity thing. I met her later for dinner and when she found out what happened actually started yelling at me. "You just didn't focus. You probably started thinking about work, huh? I should have been there to bitchslap your mind into the game. Next time. Next time I'm coming and kicking your ass."

So no then.
    Now see, here's where you made a mistake. You thought that the words coming out of her mouth were what she was trying to communicate. What she was actually saying was, "You need to shove me up against a wall and kiss me."

Heh thanks for the morale boost.

Today we are back in the shit:

Push press:
    20kg x many
    40x10
    50x10
    60x10
    70x5x2 uuuggh lactic acid catching up to me
    60x10

Press:
    20kg x10

Hello my old friend! I haven't done any strict presses since I've been here but I think this time around I will try to work them into the program. Transfer to clean and jerk is probably not great but I do like pressing. Unfortunately my shoulders were roasted by the time I got here and even the empty bar felt heavy.

Squat:
    60x10
    100x10
    120x10
    135x10
    150x8

Program only called for 8's but I figure why not make it a nice round # as best I could. 150 was miserable though* and I didn't want to take any chances. Also skipped the backoff set of 135x10 because I was feeling pretty shitty after this.

Note:
    I've been cutting the carbs way way way back for going on two weeks now, since the day after the meet. Haven't checked but am probably in keto. Wasn't training much though so the side effects weren't so noticeable, but I went in today on two bacon cheesburgers sans buns at lunch and about six potato chips for pre-workout. After the set at 150 I actually came down with a bit of Prowler flu and had to sit down for several minutes to clear the headache and nausea before I could take apart the bar.

And then, a miracle:
    Lil L's been getting a bit more serious about going to the gym, and today said several extremely promising sentences. Examples:
    "I have a trainer but I feel like he's just making stuff up as he goes. It's random and he doesn't tell me what to do on days I don't see him. I need, like, a computer program, and just go through each line and then reiterate."
    "Is it possible for these things to be organized like research? Like, minimizing variables and controlling for things and such?"
    "So this is super counterintuitive but I read that low rep high weight is the way to go???"
    "How do I work as much muscle as I can in each lift?"
    "Hey make up some sort of workout for me. I need it to be like this [here she drew a little table on her whiteboard that read ____EXERCISE____ : for ____#____ sets x ____#____ repetitions]. Like programming. Is this such a thing?"

WOWOWOWOW please lord jesus in heaven who gives innocent people AIDS and cancer and 9" SVJs while rewarding sociopaths with yachts and whores and cocaine and licenses to rape, don't let me fuck this up.
    Last edited by stuffedsuperdud; 07-27-2017 at 10:01 PM.

And then, a miracle:
    Lil L's been getting a bit more serious about going to the gym, and today said several extremely promising sentences. Examples:
    "I have a trainer but I feel like he's just making stuff up as he goes. It's random and he doesn't tell me what to do on days I don't see him. I need, like, a computer program, and just go through each line and then reiterate."
    "Is it possible for these things to be organized like research? Like, minimizing variables and controlling for things and such?"
    "So this is super counterintuitive but I read that low rep high weight is the way to go???"
    "Hey make up some sort of workout for me. I need it to be like this [here she drew a little table on her whiteboard that read ____EXERCISE____ : for ____#____ sets x ____#____ repetitions]. Like programming. Is this such a thing?"

WOWOWOWOW please lord jesus in heaven who gives innocent people AIDS and cancer and 9" SVJs while rewarding sociopaths with yachts and whores and cocaine and licenses to rape, don't let me fuck this up.
    She has teed a lot of things up for you, but this is about as easy as it gets.

And then, a miracle:

re: this^.

I wonder how many dudes who are legitimately knowledgeable in barbell arts, and know the value of heavy compound lifts, etc. etc. etc. . . .
    . . . who then go ahead program for their GFs a series of lunges, hip thrusts, butt machines, bulgarian split squats, etc.
    . . . because, well, you know.

starting strength coach development program
    This is your time, dud. Everything you've been through has led up to this. You're in the pipe, five by five.