starting strength gym
Page 156 of 187 FirstFirst ... 56106146154155156157158166 ... LastLast
Results 1,551 to 1,560 of 1870

Thread: Stuffed Superdud: Bumpy road to respectable lifting

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by cgeorg View Post
    She has teed a lot of things up for you, but this is about as easy as it gets.
    I'm on special teams. Because I'm special.

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    re: this^.

I wonder how many dudes who are legitimately knowledgeable in barbell arts, and know the value of heavy compound lifts, etc. etc. etc. . . .
    . . . who then go ahead program for their GFs a series of lunges, hip thrusts, butt machines, bulgarian split squats, etc.
    . . . because, well, you know.
    YEP. She's convinced that the 15kg women's bar is too hard, so I told that on her first day she should just work her way up to a set of 5 dumbbell goblet squats in which the 5th rep is difficult. And then repeat with dumbbell RDLs. Which she was okay with. But then, "That's it?!"
    "It'll be more than enough for now."
    "No, but it's only sets of 5? I'll be done in 5 minutes."
    "Good. Why work hard when you can work smart? We're titrating up to minimum effective doses."
    "No....I have to be there for at least 30 minutes. That's what they say right? 30 minutes of exercise?"

Jesus fucking christ not this shit again.

"Okay fine. You want to do abs, low back, and arms?"
    "YES!"
    "Aight...so this is how you do a skullcrusher...."

I think she's at some Equinox or VIDA now doing triceps kickbacks or cable crossover things. Whatevs. We worked out a time for her to come into my gym though and train with real coaches, so maybe productivity can start then.

Quote Originally Posted by Erok View Post
    You're in the pipe, five by five.

Today:
    Sore as hell from the squats, but my elbow felt good*, so endurance/conditioning block continues:

Power clean + clean + front squat 2+2+1
    20kg x many
    40x1x2
    60x1
    80x1
    85x1
    90x1x2

Deadlift:
    90x10
    130x10
    150x10x2 hi-yo!! I've technically never missed a deadlift in my whole life (because I've only ever attempted up to 200x1), but the last few reps in both sets were challenging on account of cardio. This was probably a 10RM PR.

I saw a PT the other day about the elbow, a guy out in McLean who specializes in high-level athletes. I told him I was not that, but to hit me with his best shot anyway, and he was happy to oblige. Pretty sure I saw Jesus a few times while I was on his table. The last time, JC was like, "Dude....one time, I came close to hurting as much as you're hurting now..." Cereally, blasphemy aside, this was absolutely not your typical five-minute-massage-then-pawn-you-off-onto-the-aide PT session. Dude worked me hard for an hour, and then tossed in a bunch of dry needling for good measure. I felt much better immediately at full extension. Flexion is a more complicated battle, but the front rack felt much better today than it has felt for as long as I can remember.

Comically sore today the likes of which I haven't experienced since my first few weeks of TM. Figured I wasn't going to train at all, but then got it together a bit and went in for a quick bit of moving around.

Power snatch:
    20kg x many
    40x3x2
    50x3
    60x3
    70x2
    75x2x5

Felt a little better, but still pretty DOMSy. Elbow holding up okay.

Funny, my ideas have changed regarding 'optimal' training for the modern day woman. Virtually impossible to get them to do SS LP, or SSLP-type program. It's hard for me to say the chicks at my gym "you are doing it wrong" when they look like they do....when I compare them to the females at the Olympic Gym.... just not "sexy wise", but overall cardio, health, etc...vs time invested...etc...Most cases. Let them goblet squat 20 rep sets, feel the burn, giant superset, boot camp to their hearts content!!!!

I've had similar problems with guys, too, and they're always the ones who have never been inside a weight room before. Gym brahs are always much more receptive a boring barbell progression problem. So it's probably a problem of getting goals and expectations lined up with the program more than anything else. The comparison between a cardio bunny at Equinox and a serious weightlifter at a black iron gym though is unfortunate and my only thought on that is, if the goal is to look like the cardio bunny, don't bother telling them to lift because you'll be doing you both a disservice. And even when a rank novice seriously wants to train, it's easy to be impatient when one has no idea how long a process all this is, especially if they have nothing to go on but a steady diet of 90-day promises. I blame Arthur Jones and Joe Weider.

Anecdote:
    The owner of my old gym was a former NFL defensive end and had all the people in the group workouts do tons of nonsense.
    "Is this how you trained for football?"
    "Of course not. We did squats, bench, deadlift, ugly power cleans, seated press, maybe some supplemental dumbbells, and after that it was position-specific drills."
    "So why do you have these people screwing around with all these extra exercises?"
    "Because if all I did was make them squat heavy for 5's, they'd all quit in a week. So I'm sneaking squats into their programs but they're too distracted by everything else to get bored of stressed about any single exercise."
    "Amazing..."
    "Yea it is what it is. That's why some people refuse to train non-athletes. It's a pain in the ass."

So yea, you have to distract them with extraneous stuff that hopefully won't interfere with recovery, e.g. small but popular muscle groups like biceps and abductors. What can you do?

Today:
    Sore as hell. Did
    Muscle/power clean + jerk 1+2
    20kg x a few
    40x1x2
    50x1
    60x1
    70x1
    80x1
    90x1x4

Should have been six at 90 but the DOMS was killer. Might need a carb boost after this initial 14 day keto run...

Re:your post.
    If CrossFit hq just came out and said something along those lines (what your exNFL guy did)...instead of this silly random bullshit has supposedly has a logically reason behind it...I wouldn't have a problem with them at all.

Other stuff:. Do you use straps on your snatch work?
    (I don't mean SNGDL, I mean snatch or quick lift variants)
    The only thing I use straps for a SN hi pulls?
    I don't feel it's necessary on anything else?
    Ive recently sort of joined a Olympic gym, I'm surprised how much they rely on straps...for everything.
    My hands aren't really getting torn up.
    I only do 3-4 times a week, as compared to the peeps at the oly gym who do 5 days/week. But I probably do more reps/workout.

I tape thumbs now and then...for grip and protection.

The peeps at the oly gym strap up for EVERYTHING...bar with greens for snatch warm-up??? Seems odd

I guess maybe for the weights I'm using relative to my BW and hand strength (cuz I suk) I can get away with it. Not really using chalk either.

Im sorta afraid to use straps with a maximal snatch...that I will stay connected to the bar on a miss....like those YT fail vids you see. I've never done it. And i stay hook gripped in the catch at times. Afraid I won't release...

I wonder if that's going to be a problem down the road?

Apologies to SSD...

I think it might be worth experimenting with the straps for a period MBasic, at least for the bulk of your sub-maximal work...might help keep your arms relaxed and that might fix some of the issues you have?

Definitely something to look at.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris McCarthy View Post
    Apologies to SSD...

I think it might be worth experimenting with the straps for a period MBasic, at least for the bulk of your sub-maximal work...might help keep your arms relaxed and that might fix some of the issues you have?

Definitely something to look at.
    I have no technical issues whatsoever.

none

There's an old story of how Rip got annoyed once with strap overuse back around 2011 and started strapping himself in for everything, including to open doors and pick up coffee pots. But jokes aside, I definitely use them for hang snatches and muscle snatches, so that grip fatigue doesn't cause me to miss the 3 rep or beyond. I also sometimes use them for block snatches if we're talking sets of 4-5. I very rarely use them for snatching from the floor but will if again it's sets of 4-5 reps and I am not feeling good. I have had it happen once where I missed a snatch backwards and couldn't bail cleanly due to the straps, but nothing bad happened. Now that you mention it though, it seems my gym is the opposite of yours in that I am the only strapper. Everyone else just has a good grip, I guess. I think we all hook grip the catch though. Obviously don't strap in for cleans. Because Zach Krych said not to.

You don't tape your thumbs?! Now that I thought everyone did.

Didn't actually train today even though the soreness has mostly resolved because I went to see Queen and it was awesome. For all you diehard Freddie Mercury fans, I get it, but I'd to argue that a true fan should be glad that Adam Lambert is doing what he's doing to keep this going. It was nice that he addressed this directly and came right out with, "Hey I get it. I'm not him. But I'll do my best." I'll take it.

Hang snatch from thigh:
    20kg x many
    40x4
    50x4
    60x4
    65x4
    70x4
    75x4

Meh just going through the motions and trying to hit that power position.

Lil L threw a tantrum yesterday over her lack of body recomp progress. 10 years ago I would have made the mistake of offering solutions, but instead of telling her that she needs to lift for months before anything happens, and that she can't outtrain that steady diet of pie and smores, I just kept quiet and made mmmhmm noises, which backfired royally when she yelled, "Your apparent indifference to my hard time is very hurtful!" and stormed off, texting her dad as she did. Yeeessh...... 10 years ago I would have lost sleep over this, but I'm probably just going go with it and see if maybe it can get me out of seeing La La Land with her later this week.

CG: "You're an idiot. Oh, and this week, whatever you do, don't go back to hanging out with that Latin girl." Good looking out, chief.

starting strength coach development program
    More motions:
    Clean + front squat 4+1
    40x1x2
    60x1
    70x1
    80x1
    85x1
    90x1
    85x1

Coach likes the improved elbow mobility.

Bent rows lolwut
    40kg x10
    50x10
    60x10
    65x8x2
    Uuugh I have the upper body strength of a baby turtle

Weighted situps
    10kg x10x3

Because I am diligent about not leaving any weak spots this training cycle.