Page 164 of 166 FirstFirst ... 64114154162163164165166 LastLast
Results 1,631 to 1,640 of 1655

Thread: Stuffed Superdud: Bumpy road to respectable lifting

That's one thing about working at a consulting firm. You can't be self deprecating or you lose all credibility. It's like sink of swim around here. Not even always be alpha it's a whole other level.

Break outta the friend zone!

Quote Originally Posted by stuffedsuperdud View Post
    Really don't like 10s. Embarrassing that my squat is better than my DL somehow. Whatevs.
    Really don't like reps anywhere from 1-10. Embarrassing my squat is half my deadlift. Whatevs

Seriously though. Would you classify yourself and a somewhat short femur, longer torso type?

Welp currently she plans all my free hours outside of the gym, snapchats me to her friends but avoids including me in more permanent social media, and has berated me on several occasions for failing to live up to my newfound role as her representative whenever we are in public together. But I don't know what she looks like naked. Should probably sack up or something. This is much more uncomfortable for me than any PR squat ever can be. Oh well she went down to Louisiana for her mom's birthday so I don't have to worry about this till next week, at least.

RE: dimensions, yes, I have ever so slightly shortish legs, but not horribly so. My pants are 31" long, comparable to most guys in the 5'9"-5'11" area. Pretty sure the real cause is simply that I am a bitch at this too.

Today:
    Hang snatch:
    20kg x many
    40x4
    50x4
    60x4
    66x4
    72x4
    77x3,4 (got gassed on set 1 rep 4 and barely missed it in front)
    70x4

Coach happy with overhead lockout

Snatch DL:
    70x8
    100x8
    110x8
    120x8
    bleh probably wasn't smart to include this after yesterday's regular DL for 10's.

Got some PT on the elbow and he hit me hard with the mobbing and dry needles. But I (temporarily?) have full flexion in that joint now.

Quote Originally Posted by stuffedsuperdud View Post
    I'm finally being a bit more patient during the pull and hitting a better power position.
    I think it's Jim Schmitz who cues the snatch with 'high on the thigh'.
    It clearly works (the power position of some top athletes looks like they are basically standing with legs barely bent, and feet still planted on the platform), but it takes a lot of discipline, and confidence in your own pull, to resist the urge to 'go' way before reaching that point.
    Keep going, and congratulations on your PRs.

IPB

MY kinda opinion on this (The Power Position) . . . if anyone cares.

. . .is yes, if one waits until the bar is very high on the thigh,
    and is to stay over the bar,
    you just simply pass through that "power position" on your way thru the complete motion.
    On your way to extension.

What I'm getting at to actively cue it could be a mistake for some folks;
    I don't really care for this method anymore: Snatch, Part 1, How To, Olympic Weightlifting - YouTube
    I probably lost years . . .fucking years . . . trying to do it/learn this way.
    I think this leads to getting behind (torso vertical) the bar to soon, way too much DKB action, and then humping the bar out into space.
    Maybe my long ass arms, and normal femur-to-torso length (not Oly-lifter archetype body) affects this cueing/method.

What I like is to get into my version of the power position,
    is to BARELY bend the knees and I mean fucking barely,
    and then tilt my torso forward to where I'm over the bar (not a vertical back),
    then "GO!" from there.

On maximal attempts, it doesn't quite look like this, might get closer to what I mentioned above/first.
    But the bar is staying much closer now. But still far from perfect.
    Last edited by MBasic; 08-11-2017 at 06:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    MY kinda opinion on this (The Power Position) . . . if anyone cares.

. . .is yes, if one waits until the bar is very high on the thigh,
    and is to stay over the bar,
    you just simply pass through that "power position" on your way thru the complete motion.
    On your way to extension.

What I'm getting at to actively cue it could be a mistake for some folks;
    I don't really care for this method anymore: Snatch, Part 1, How To, Olympic Weightlifting - YouTube
    I probably lost years . . .fucking years . . . trying to do it/learn this way.
    I think this leads to getting behind (torso vertical) the bar to soon, way too much DKB action, and then humping the bar out into space.
    Maybe my long ass arms, and normal femur-to-torso length (not Oly-lifter archetype body) affects this cueing/method.

What I like is to get into my version of the power position,
    is to BARELY bend the knees and I mean fucking barely,
    and then tilt my torso forward to where I'm over the bar (not a vertical back),
    then "GO!" from there.

On maximal attempts, it doesn't quite look like this, might get closer to what I mentioned above/first.
    But the bar is staying much closer now. But still far from perfect.
    I completely agree MBasic...that method is basically all I see crossfitters do at the gym. The bar is so light they can just muscle the bar where they need to, but they end up getting their knees forward too soon, shoulders behind the bar and contacting low as they hump forward. I found Torokhtiy's video's really useful in correcting some of the glaring issues I had. It's definitely helped me stay over the bar much longer which has lead to a much more explosive (for me) pull. I'm also a long arms, long femurs and short torso guy.

Sorry to hear about the meet SSD. Another training cycle and prep and you'll crush the next one!
    Last edited by Mr_Rogers; 08-11-2017 at 07:13 AM.

You people are making me want to find a nearby oly coach, which is a thing that keeps popping into my mind.

SSD, do you actually like this girl? Are you legitimately interested? If you are just say it. It'll be really hard, it'll feel great once it's out whether she kisses you or slaps you (actually indifference might sting, but it doesn't sound like you'll get that - she's either crushing pretty hard too, or you really are friendzoned and she'll just shoot you down), and you'll have both an idea of where you stand and a chance to move it forward if she's down. Do not do the shy look away shit either, you want her to see your eyes and you want to see her immediate reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by cgeorg View Post
    You people are making me want to find a nearby oly coach
    I would suggest to only do it if you are strong enough to get something meaningful out of it (unlike me); like, you are strong enough to snatch your BW (ditto). It's more fun if you can actually move some proper weight.

IPB

Quote Originally Posted by cgeorg View Post
    You people are making me want to find a nearby oly coach, which is a thing that keeps popping into my mind.
    Don't do it. Unless you like spending all your free time in a dank little room full of Type A weirdos in their mid-30s who for obvious reasons are single and childless.

Quote Originally Posted by IlPrincipeBrutto View Post
    I would suggest to only do it if you are strong enough to get something meaningful out of it (unlike me); like, you are strong enough to snatch your BW (ditto). It's more fun if you can actually move some proper weight.

IPB
    I finally broke the BW snatch barrier last year...and it hasn't gone far in making this a less miserable prison of a hobby.

RE: the technical stuff, I'm too lazy and probably too stupid to sort out the kinematics except that it makes sense to try to have the net force vector generated by your body to be aimed as vertically as possible so that you don't have do some F*sin(theta) nonsense from high school physics to determine the fraction that is actually available for doing net work against the barbell. I do find it helpful to warm up with a bunch of light lifts from the high hang to dial the movement in. As for cues, I tell myself "wait for it" when the bar passes my knees, and that along has been surprisingly effective in letting me hit a sweet power position.

Today:

Hang clean + front squat 4+1
    20kg x a lot, with muscle cleans
    40x1x2
    50x1
    60x1
    70x1
    80x1
    85x1x2

Elbow flexion noticeably improved, clean rack felt good.

Snatch:
    20kg x many
    40x4
    50x3
    60x3
    70x2
    80x1
    85x1
    88x1,1,0,0,0

Got cold after the 2nd one when someone started complaining to me about his hamstring and the timing was completely off. Got even colder after that 1st miss when someone asked about brunch. Made a half-hearted attempt to try to end with a make and it was the worst one yet. But the elbow continues to work so can't complain?