starting strength gym
Page 167 of 187 FirstFirst ... 67117157165166167168169177 ... LastLast
Results 1,661 to 1,670 of 1870

Thread: Stuffed Superdud: Bumpy road to respectable lifting

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Still grinding, but I am starting to wonder if this log isn't long for this world since so many of my readers were either banned or left to rejoin the banned in the hereafter....

Went to the gym but stupidly forgot my gym clothes, so I had to lift in my Jomers polo and gray JCF Bleecker-fit summerweight chinos. I did:

Squat:
    20kg x 5
    60x5
    100x5
    130x1........and then it happened. I blew out the seat of my pants, as so many novice SS'ers enjoy bragging about. Didn't think it was actually possible until today. Hey, in for a penny now, so...
    130x2 The tear got worse
    160x3 The pants are now chaps. Coach was like, "Yo you're not even wearing pants anymore...I can see all your...stuff......"
    "I don't have another pair. Do I have to go home...?"
    "This is weightlifting. We're all cool if you're cool."
    "Aight."
    171x3
    182x3
    193x3 Not sure but I think this ties at 3RM PR. The 1st 2 reps were very easy, surprising considering that last week I missed the 3rd rep at 190, but the 3rd rep got really ugly and I actually flexed my low back. Not just hips-up-GM-the-weight as I am wont to do every so often. Straight up rounded the back. But the weight went up. Coach be like, "Okay rack it you're done." Training powered by those oatmeal chocolate chip cookies from Potbelly. Time for Ardbeg.

I just finished reading your whole log here, and I'll continue to read! I mean, I don't care about the weightlifting, I read for the stories--even if they're bullshit, they're funny.

Plus, I like the free style advice, but sorry, I'm straight and married. It's fine.

But if you do go, you gotta at least let us all know where you go so can we follow future seasons of this show!

Quote Originally Posted by stuffedsuperdud View Post
    many of my readers were either banned or left
    And many others whose WL total is less than 200 Kg won't dare to comment, lest they look like those folks with pathetic squats who dare offering advice to beginners in the technique section.

;-)

IPB

damn, dud. way to get those squats. I've had reps where I heard a 'poom!' and felt something give, re-racked, and saw no damage. turned out it was always the boxer shorts.

Then there was the time I grabbed gym clothes in the dark, and ended up wearing my wife's booty shorts.
    So, I guess what I'm saying is... wait, it'll get worse?

I enjoy reading your log about lifting, CG and Lil L, superdud, even if I don't comment a lot. I just skip reading the clothes parts.

Quote Originally Posted by IlPrincipeBrutto View Post
    And many others whose WL total is less than 200 Kg won't dare to comment, lest they look like those folks with pathetic squats who dare offering advice to beginners in the technique section.

;-)

IPB
    Heh it is true that it isn't my place to decide who ought or ought not to dispense advice. I was, and still am, frustrated at the direction Rip decided to take with his enterprise, but hey, it is what it is. I was lucky enough to find out about this site from the 70's Big people (Rip's unofficial disciples est. 2010?) and then I came here and found out about how strong some of these guys were; and it was helpful to see right off the bat that a 400 squat and 500 dead was only the beginning. Raw #s aside, I don't think it's unfair to say that it takes a lot of time both lifting and teaching before one can dispense with good advice, and a lot of those voices are gone now, leaving inexperienced lifters to fill the vacuum. But hey, all are free to comment on my decidedly non-elite log, so have at it ladies and germs.

Quote Originally Posted by slowmotion View Post
    I enjoy reading your log about lifting, CG and Lil L, superdud, even if I don't comment a lot. I just skip reading the clothes parts.
    I try. But you shouldn't skip the clothing parts. That's my best work.

Not my best work: Training:

High pull + clean 1+2:
    20kg x a bunch
    40x1
    60x1
    70x1
    80x1
    90x1
    100x1

Deadlift:
    130x3
    160x2
    170x1
    180x1
    190x1
    201x1 PR
    203x0 REVERSE PR!!! In that, this is the 1st time in my whole entire life that I've missed a deadlift. You saw it here first, folks. I was rushed into the rep + I went in way too calm. Also, 201 was easy and I perhaps failed to respect 203. Not a good recipe for a PR attempt. Did my best to fall back on my noob-lifter training "Feet, hands, shins, set, go!" to no avail. The barbell got about six inches off the floor before I felt my back go full round-out, and I had to dump it.

Sorry for the lack of stories: Lyudmila is pretty stressed out with her new job and hasn't had time to come out and play. I did have time to finally catch up on Rick and Morty though and jeeeeeezus that shit got dark. Pretty tired now but maybe tomorrow I'll explain how I ended up going on a man-date with the Latin girl's brother.

Hey man, congrats on the 201 pr.

I've definitely upped my clothing game & thinking from your writings, although I'm sure you'd still find me quite lacking in that department. The biggest hurdle I have is that I absolutely loathe collars and there don't seem to be any viable options for nice shirts that also sport no collar.

I also enjoy all of the stories, lifting or otherwise. I've also upped my game, but will need to change my job in order to get more practice wearing nicer clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by swan View Post
    Hey man, congrats on the 201 pr.

I've definitely upped my clothing game & thinking from your writings, although I'm sure you'd still find me quite lacking in that department. The biggest hurdle I have is that I absolutely loathe collars and there don't seem to be any viable options for nice shirts that also sport no collar.
    Your best bet is probably a henley. Similar level of formality as a polo shirt and can be paired with a more casual blazer. Not a sleek navy wool one of course, but a stiffer, perhaps slightly rumbled cotton or linen one + jeans definitely works.

Or even with a double-breasted linen suit maybe?? Like this fucker:

Quote Originally Posted by caveman View Post
    I also enjoy all of the stories, lifting or otherwise. I've also upped my game, but will need to change my job in order to get more practice wearing nicer clothes.
    Caveman! How's your wardrobe doing? Seems like you slowed down bigtime after your epic Brooks Bros bender.... I was briefly worried you'd just buy up that whole business....

Training:
    My left wrist is still bothering me, but my front rack is feeling better so:

Front squat:
    60kg x5
    80x5
    95x5
    100x3
    110x3
    120x3
    125x3
    130x3
    135x2,1
    Missed the 2nd rep on the 2nd set of 135.

Did some nonsense prehab/rehab work with the pullup bar and 12kg kettlebell. Still pretty sore from yesterday's effort.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by stuffedsuperdud View Post
    Your best bet is probably a henley. Similar level of formality as a polo shirt and can be paired with a more casual blazer. Not a sleek navy wool one of course, but a stiffer, perhaps slightly rumbled cotton or linen one + jeans definitely works.

Or even with a double-breasted linen suit maybe?? Like this fucker:

Caveman! How's your wardrobe doing? Seems like you slowed down bigtime after your epic Brooks Bros bender.... I was briefly worried you'd just buy up that whole business....

Training:
    My left wrist is still bothering me, but my front rack is feeling better so:

Front squat:
    60kg x5
    80x5
    95x5
    100x3
    110x3
    120x3
    125x3
    130x3
    135x2,1
    Missed the 2nd rep on the 2nd set of 135.

Did some nonsense prehab/rehab work with the pullup bar and 12kg kettlebell. Still pretty sore from yesterday's effort.
    Forgot about your log. Still not smashing lil'l ? come on man!
    Congrats on PRs.
    +1 for archer. I think I want a double breasted linen and a henley. Jommers make henley?

-1 for getting me to post here.