starting strength gym
Page 168 of 187 FirstFirst ... 68118158166167168169170178 ... LastLast
Results 1,671 to 1,680 of 1870

Thread: Stuffed Superdud: Bumpy road to respectable lifting

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Meh, my wardrobe has been stagnant for a bit pretty much since the Brooks Brothers saga. And the problem with being old(er) and now forgetful(er) is I can't remember which brands of dress/business casual pants that I've tried on that fit right. I want to get a cool looking hat for keeping my balding head from burning in the sun. (yes getting old(er) sucks). Any ideas? I'm not sure what I want, but I know that I don't want to look like a cowboy, and I already have a hat that makes me look like I'm going on a hike. And ball caps aren't my thing.

Sorry I'm not much of a hat guy, ever finding out as a kid that couldn't cram my noggin into one of those one size fits all caps with the adjustable strap on the back. So if you already have a hiking hat and you're not big on anything more casual, you can always go the other way formality-wise and opt for.....a fedora? Not a trilby, mind you because that makes you a jellydick #beta #phaggot #redpill #woke #niceguy and you're too smart and strong and handsome for that shit. A proper fedora can still look pretty goofy in 2017, but if you nut up into it and the rest of your wardrobe is on point, you can do it. Andy Poupart does it regularly and it works for him. (Style After 50). Seems like he gets his mostly from Bates.

Today:
    My wrist still kind of hurts so I took another easy day

Front squat:
    20kg x5
    60x5
    90x5
    100x3
    110x3
    120x3
    125x3
    130x3
    135x1

My front rack is feeling better than ever, and coach thinks I can expect some PRs soon as long as I remember to let the rack stay engaged. As it is, I am tending to let the bar drift into my neck, choking me out. On the 135, I was blacking out during the descent, somehow composed myself after a long pause at the bottom, and stood up easily. On the 2nd attempt, I started blacking out again at the bottom and dumped the weight. Coach was pissed when I told her I was blacking out for rep 1 too, as the last thing she needs is for me to pass out and break my wrists or something.

My training too a hit this weekend because the Latin girl made me go to a Halloween party with her.

"Want to come with?! I love Halloween!"
    "No not really...."
    "This is my costume" [sends pics of herself in a Spandex olive green bodysuit with random Top Gun logos all over it, and the front unzipped, aviator shades, and fuck-me boots]
    "..........when and where..........God I hate myself"

I showed up at the ooompsh ooompsh ooompsh club in my best Clark Kent impression:
    Casual medium blue suit, unbuttoned
    Random white dress shirt, tucked in but unbuttoned
    Superman T-shirt with the big logo on the front
    Red/blue repp stripe tie, partially undone
    Taped up nerd glasses
    Black Magnanni captoes (didn't wanna get my AE's sloppy in a sticky nightclub full of drunks...sure enough someone spilled his sticky drink into my left shoe....gross)

She had way too much to drink and then got sloppy pulling me around by the tie and humping my leg in front of her poor brother, who was dressed, much to my consternation, like one of the thugs from The Purge. Then she passed out, he had to take her home (I think he and I are totally bros now, btw, but that's a separate story), and I ended up at McD's by myself, where the cashier got a kick out my style.

I kept on taking a break from the overhead work because of the sore wrist. I did do:

Squat:
    20kg x10
    60x10
    100x5 paused
    130x3 paused
    160x3
    170x3
    180x3
    160x3 paused

Nothing too bad. Should probably train harder.

Post-workout: half a bottle of Scotch and I'm barely buzzed because I guess my liver is in Ron Swanson mode.

Yeah, that guy makes wearing a hat look good. That's above my current skill level. Maybe a ghetto version of that hat will work for me...

On a more important note, what kind of Scotch do you like? Now that the weather is turning colder here, I'm more interested in drinking bourbon/scotch in the evenings than I have for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by caveman View Post
    Yeah, that guy makes wearing a hat look good. That's above my current skill level. Maybe a ghetto version of that hat will work for me...

On a more important note, what kind of Scotch do you like? Now that the weather is turning colder here, I'm more interested in drinking bourbon/scotch in the evenings than I have for a while.
    Super cliche, but I do like Lagavulin best. It's one-note, but that note is bacon-wrapped-steak-you-can-drink-plus-it's-also-a-cigar!! so what's not to like??? It's very expensive at the moment because they had no way of knowing 16 years ago that Nick Offerman / Ron Swanson would give them so much free advertising, and supplies are currently way low (uuuugh shoulda stocked up when it was $55 a bottle instead of $100+), which has prompted me to branch out, and I've found I like Laphroaig and Ardbeg quite a bit too. Laphroaig is probably the closest in terms of smokiness, while Ardbeg has the most....balanced (is that the word??? I'm not a connoisseur, just a drinker) flavor profile from start to finish. If you rule out the Islay choices, I've found Balvenie is probably my favorite. In all cases i'm referring to the flagship offerings, btw, as I don't normally try the more exotic ones....not to mention the fact that I can't afford the ones with the big #s... Haven't found any that starts with Glen- that I particularly care for.

I used to be a big bourbon drinker but after going Scotch, most bourbons now taste too sweet. I do like Bulleit Rye though, but is that technically/legally a bourbon?

Wrist feeling a bit better finally but I'm being smart about it, i.e. a pussy. I'm also finally actively attacking the problem with science, namely cissus, fish oil, and naproxen, instead of just waiting it out.

Clean:
    20kg x a bunch
    40x3
    60x3
    70x3
    80x3
    90x2
    100x2
    110x2

All pretty easy. I've never been pinned by a clean before (I have been pinned by a snatch though, oddly enough...) because the racking was always the problem, but now that the elbow ROM is improving, it's less of an issue.

Deadlift:
    130x3
    160x3
    170x1
    180x1
    190x1

Today, ran in to do this thing:
    Front squat:
    20kg x many
    60x5
    90x5
    100x5
    110x3
    120x3
    130x3
    135x3 finally. Just had to remember to keep the front rack engaged. Miiiiight be a 3 rep PR? Coulda taken it for 4-5 probably.

MEH!

I tried to train today despite fatigue from the last 3 days. I got:

Clean:
    20kg x many, feeling good
    40x5
    60x4
    80x2
    90x1
    100x1

My low back started tightening up after 90 and became really uncomfortable after 100 so I cut it off there. It's still pretty annoyed now, so I guess it's heat and rest for the rest of today and see what tomorrow brings. Blah. Probably just overdid it the past few days. And just as I impulsively signed up for a local meet for next month too. Them's the breaks, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by stuffedsuperdud View Post
    I have been pinned by a snatch though
    Well damn, that's a good thing isn't it?

Ha!!! I once fought to save one at the bottom for a bit too long, and it drifted behind me. Coach was like, "No snatch is worth an injury! Next time, if it isn't there, just push it away with straight arms as hard as you can!" I LOL'ed and she didn't realize why, bless her heart. Meanwhile, one of the assistant coaches, a 58kg mom who competes in masters 35-59, broke down laughing when telling me "you are going too deep" on the jerk dip. People are weird.

So my back thing was indeed a strain, which left me quite uncomfortable all day Saturday and Sunday. Coupled with my wrist and elbow issues, I was left unable to do much of anything except sit around with a heat pack. I did go in today and managed

Press from split:
    20kg x a bunch
    40x4x4
    50x4x3
    55x4x3

Deadlift:
    20kg x a bunch
    50x10x2
    60x10x2
    70x10x2

Call it a Starr-ish protocol? Competing next month is going to be a bitch.

Been a rough week in general, including a day where I was so over it that I, stuck in traffic, shouted obscenities at an Ethiopian guy driving a hummer limo as he coasted down the shoulder of the freeway and then tried to re-enter the freeway proper by cutting me off as I toiled in the right lane. I was triggered not by his admittedly annoying/unsafe move but by everything hummer limos represent, i.e. douchebag white guys who get their dicks sucked anyway. And then I immediately regretted it because the poor guy was just the driver, and if anyone hates those fucks, it's him as he cleans the puke and vodka off the seats night in and night out. Whoops. Look at me, adding more pain to the world.

starting strength coach development program
    Told the floor coach my list of pains and he goes, "Mmmm calfraises. And suicide." Well happy Veterans Day to you too, Major.

Just so I didn't forget how to lift weights....
    No feet snatch from high hang:
    20kg x many
    40x5x2
    50x5x2
    60x3

Deadlift + RDL 10+10
    60x1
    70x1
    80x1
    90x1
    100x1

whatevs........