starting strength gym
Page 175 of 187 FirstFirst ... 75125165173174175176177185 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,750 of 1870

Thread: Stuffed Superdud: Bumpy road to respectable lifting

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    For two weeks I've been under 30g of carbs most days when there are no mandatory social functions, and at around 100g on days where I had to eat with coworkers. I wasn't craving carbs today or anything, but figured it was time for a slight refeed, so went to Five Guys and got a bacon cheeseburger with a bun, fries, and a shake. I actually don't really like their fries, so only ate a few, but the shake was aight. I also had a few cookies that my coworker's wife made the other day and ate those too.

Went to the gym and did:

Power clean + front squat 4+1
    20kg x many
    40x1
    60x1
    80x1x2
    85x1x2

Clean pulls:
    90x5
    110x5
    125x5
    140x5

Deadlift
    150x5

Yea yea deadlift needs way more volume than a top set of 5, and I never really liked how it's sold as this boogeyman lift that will fuck your recovery if you do more than that. But I'm still on week 0 of the program, i.e. re-acclimating, so I left it at that.

Hang snatch:
    20kg x soooo many
    40x4
    50x4
    60x4x2

Heaving snatch balance:
    20kg x many
    40x5
    50x5
    60x5x2

Working on the overhead. Cuing tight traps and and elbows back are already helpful.

Squat:
    60x5
    110x5x2

My knees and back were very sore so these weren't happening. Definitely need to pay more attention to recovery.... Weeks of flying coach and sleeping on an air mattress and hotel rooms probably aren't helping. I was also pretty tired, probably because it's almost time for a slight carb boost.

Style points:
    I can feel my midsection becoming less disgusting already. It's just me dumping water and improving digestion, but a step in the right direction. Formerly well-tailored pants are now feeling more comfortable.

Carbed up and feelin' better:

Squat:
    20kg x 10
    70x5
    110x5
    140x3
    152x1
    165x5x3

My knees are still sore for some reason, which made me extra wary, but I got the reps in.

Hang power snatch:
    20kg x many
    40x4x2
    50x4
    60x4x2
    70x4

These weren't so beautiful but I was told to work in finishing my pull, plus my knees were kind of sore still, so power it was.

So this week was a training wash: I think I lifted on Sunday? But then I had a sore shoulder, knee, and elbow that took the wind out of my sails a bit. I also had to work late a few nights. Fun fact: company is a startup that does not have any sales team, and the USA office is just me and one other guy (also a PhD, also with no business experience), so we end up having to do everything, including marketing and sales. ABC AIDA etc. It's good practice for life, right? Fill that pipeline funnel, nurture leads, profit, or something like that? In all cases I am thoroughly learning on the job. Gym is good relief...when my body allows. Gym and scotch.

Felt better today though so I went in and did:

Power clean:
    20kg x many
    40x4x3
    50x4x3
    60x4x3
    70x4x2
    80x4

Yasha and co saw me cutting off my pulls early so they had me drill with the low weight.

Press:
    40x8
    50x5
    60x5x2
    63x5x3

^See? Just LP!

I don't remember my press #s, just that they were all from like 4 years ago. Maybe something like 75x5x3 and 85x2 or something? But it's fun to do them now. I was slow on the eccentric in the hopes that this will slowly alleviate some of the tendinopathy in the elbow.

Half-hearted whatevs today:

hang snatch
    20kg x many
    40x4x2
    50x4
    60x4
    70x4,3,3

I missed the 4th rep of the last 2 sets at 70 because of being lazy and tired at the top of the pull.

Snatch push press + OHS 3+3
    40x1
    50x1
    60x1
    70x1x2

Then I did a bunch of dumbbell work for bis-, tris-, rotator cuff.

Congrats on the new job. I hope that the startup works out for you! I'm currently looking and have decided that I will buy myself a pair of Alden cordovans as a reward for successfully getting some career mobility back. Is there a more comfortable shoe out there? Sadly all of my AE kill my feet with any amount of walking by the end of the day. Whereas I can wear my cheapy echos for miles and miles and have no problem at all.

Hey, you're still here!

Sorry to hear about the AEs... is it a fit issue? Or just the inherent design of the insoles/cork bed? If the former, the Independence Collection is on the 201 last, which I find much roomier than their staples, e.g. 65, 97, etc. These guys are on sale right now. If the latter....you might be SOL. Note though that their Road Warriors collection was specifically designed to bring in guys for whom the mainline AEs don't work. Maybe consider that? They're on deep discount too for the next few weeks (Fucking hell, I just noticed they're now made in the Dominican Republic, whereas formerly, only the moccasins and boat shoes were made there.....welcome to the beginning of the end?). Otherwise, there are now several Made in Spain/Portugal/Italy brands now with Goodyear or blake welts. It used to be that if AE didn't work for you, the next step up was Alden, but there are too many choices. I think cost-wise, between AE and Alden you have Carmina and J.Fitzpatrick. There's also Carmina's little brother Meermin, which isn't all that distinct from AE now, with AE's ongoing decline, and retails at around the $200 price point.

What style Alden were you thinking? Don't forget that shell is actually more burly and rugged than calfskin; indeed, shell was mostly for workboots before the invention of synthetics, and for a while was used as razor strops. It has a pretty heavy look, so while lots of formal styles come in a shell variant, e.g. AE Park Avenues and Carmina's trademark wholecuts, you'd be better off getting something less formal instead of more.

I'm still here. Though your log seems to be the only one that I followed that is still active. I'm not sure what the problem is with the AE's. I do have one set of loafers from the road warrior line and they are a little better, but still suffer from the same problem after a day's worth of use. Maybe they are all a touch narrow for me, but I've never needed to go wide before so didn't really consider that as an option.

I hadn't really nailed down a shell style yet. Probably something classic like a wingtip with some brogue'ing. The Alden Shop of San Francisco

Something with some utility that could be dressed up or down.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by caveman View Post
    I'm still here. Though your log seems to be the only one that I followed that is still active.
    Yea sucks what happened. Oh well. I'm trying to keep things fun, anyway. The departed seem to be suffering from that problem that all revolutionaries suffer from, in that agitators are great at toppling things but of course only belligerent assholes bother fomenting revolt in the first place, and one in power they're become just as bad as their predecessors. Here's hoping the unawarezz guys who were kind of caught up in the nikipedia collateral damage take over and restore order and prosperity. The most frustrating part is that all this unnecessary commotion scattered the audience for my stupid stories into the wind.

Oh, yea the new job is great. Infinitely more fun than working in a lab on a shaky govt contract. It's a startup though, so the pay sucks, our daily workloads are well outside of the job description, and we work lots of nights and weekends, often from a plane or a hotel room. But I can't remember the last time I was having this much fun. If in twenty years the other guy and are both CEOs somewhere, and someone mentions the good old days, they'll be talking about this.

I'm not sure what the problem is with the AE's. I do have one set of loafers from the road warrior line and they are a little better, but still suffer from the same problem after a day's worth of use. Maybe they are all a touch narrow for me, but I've never needed to go wide before so didn't really consider that as an option.
    AE's might run slightly narrower than normal, and their popular lasts definitely have a lower instep, which miiiight be a problem? I don't know. I do know that for their closed-lacing shoes I need a 10E in all lasts, whereas for the the open-lacing shoes, I'm somewhere between D and E. D is nice in the heels but a bit tight across the ball, whereas E is perfect in the balls but the heels can be slightly slippy. For all other brands I'm a run of the mill 10D, or just 10 for those who don't sell in different widths.

What you can do is try to stretch them out. There are lots of guides on styleforum, dappered, etc. For me, I've only had this problem once, and it was with the Daltons. I got a 10D instead of an E...because shoebank availability......... and it was painful in the balls. I used a pair of these shoe trees, made sure they were really expanded inside the shoes and pushing against the inner walls, and waited a few days. Now they feel perfect, very nicely between 10D and 10E in the balls, and D in the heels. Make sure to use the expandable shoe trees of course; I don't think this would have worked with the regular AE trees.

I hadn't really nailed down a shell style yet. Probably something classic like a wingtip with some brogue'ing. The Alden Shop of San Francisco

Something with some utility that could be dressed up or down.

Stopped by the gym for a quick bit of training between work:

Squat:
    20kg x 10
    70x8
    110x5
    140x3
    160x2
    170x2x5

The strange rep scheme was because I was feeling kind of tired and just wanted to fuck around with Yasha. His PR total is in the mid 300s, but today, I matched him squat for squat, baby! But the other day he snatched 125 off the blocks for a few sets of three with no trouble so...

Altogether I am badly undertrained.