starting strength gym
Page 184 of 187 FirstFirst ... 84134174182183184185186 ... LastLast
Results 1,831 to 1,840 of 1870

Thread: Stuffed Superdud: Bumpy road to respectable lifting

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    The squats from Saturday kicked in and I went in today despite feeling pretty crippled all over. Still, even if you can only go through the motions, you....go through the motions, right?

I did a a bunch of complexes with the empty barbell, but had to do only powers for the lifts, not full, as my quads just wouldn't go down into the hole quickly enough. I was able to do some OHS and slow squats though.

The good news: I did find something that did not hurt to do. The bad news: it was burpees. So I tried to see how many I could do in 5 minutes and got to 50. 100 would be better. I'm pretty bad at sticking to diet and conditioning, I know, but I was home for the holidays last week and in every candid picture, I looked like horseshit. I thought the goal of all this was to look good naked, from all angles, right? So that was a pretty obnoxious wakeup call and a bit of a call to action. Better late than never?

I've had good results for the anabolic diet before, so I might just do that and see where it leads, along with adding some sort of conditioning to every gym session, and when traveling. Barbell complexes (I like this) or BW stuff like the burpees (do not like); for now, I'm realistic about how often I'd do stuff like LISS, hill, stadiums, etc. so I'll add that in as dictated. I'm also pulling out all the PDFs I mindlessly bought and then ignored in 2011-2014 or so. A lot of good stuff, but uuuuuugh reading some of the Strength Villain stuff now though, I'm kinda sorry I gave those goons so much of my $$.

Happy fuckin' 2019, allbodies.

Still really crippled from the squats, but wanted to do something, so went in and did the following barbell complex

Hang clean x6
    Push press x 6
    Good morning x6
    BTN push press x6
    Squat x6
    Clean-grip BTN press from squat x6
    Bent rows x6

Did this 3 times using 40kg, which was perhaps a bit too easy. The cleans and squats were jokes of course (maybe do more reps?) but the fatigue built up pretty quickly.

I then did 32 burpees in 5 minutes, and then 5 more in overtime. A lot less than yesterday because someone pointed out that it doens't count unless you go all the way down and do a bit of a pushup out of the bottom, and I found myself lacking in both the technique as well as in pushing strength....Gotta bench more??

Clean and jerk: 3+2
    40x1
    60x1

2+2
    80x1

1+2
    90x1x2
    95x1x2

I was going to do 100 and then deadlift, but got called back to work, which sucked. I did 50 mountain climbers in 5 minutes (left-right-left-right counts as 1 rep, which ended up embarrassingly difficult, and I had to break it down to 20+10+15+5) and called it to go back to the office.

...burpees...mountain climbers...
    oh, god. I'm so sorry. I salute you.

Is the anabolic diet the one where you cycle between surplus weeks and deficit weeks? I was looking at that once, but I can't plan things out that far. I just cut carbs until I crash, then do a pizza refeed.

Quick update because I am passing out:

Barbell complex, 50kg:
    Hang clean x6
    Push press x6
    Squat x6
    Clean grip OHS x6
    Goodmorning x6
    Bent row x6

Under constant tension, of course. I did this for 3 rounds. Didn't really pay attention to time between rounds; just gave myself what I needed, which ended up being a few minutes. Chuck is in favor of keeping rests to 1 minute to simulate a wrestling match, so we'll push for that, but in the meantime, at the end of each round, I was pretty gassed. After the third round, I got kind of queasy and decided it was a good place to stop...until tomorrow. Will sleep well tonight.

I was also ravenously hungry at the end, which probably suggests how de-trained to this sort of thing I am.

Another quick update:

Hang snatch:
    20kg x5
    40x4
    50x4
    60x4
    70x4x2
    75x4
    70x4

Deadlift:
    70x10
    110x10
    140x10
    150x10
    160x8

Lol the 160s were embarrassingly heavy. Gutted out 8 reps but it left too drained for anything else.

Stayed too late at work, feeling not great.

Squat:
    20kg x10
    70x10
    110x10
    140x10
    152x8
    165x -
    All reps felt slowish, but I think my groove is so greased at this point that I could have muscled through anything. I loaded up 165 for a 10RM PR attempt (lifetime bests = 163x10, 165x9). So OF COURSE that was when my phone rang and had to deal with a stressful work-related emergency remotely. This wasted half an hour and I was completely cold.

Tried to ramp back up and did:
    110x3
    140x3

and realized this wasn't happening.

It was getting late so I did 45 burpees in 5 minutes and left. Nowhere near the 100 benchmark, but getting better, right? I could have done a few more but my abs seized up on me around rep 40.

Quote Originally Posted by stuffedsuperdud View Post
    140x10
    152x8
    165x -
    All reps felt slowish, but I think my groove is so greased at this point that I could have muscled through anything. I loaded up 165 for a 10RM PR attempt (lifetime bests = 163x10, 165x9). So OF COURSE that was when my phone rang and had to deal with a stressful work-related emergency remotely. This wasted half an hour and I was completely cold.

Tried to ramp back up and did:
    110x3
    140x3

and realized this wasn't happening.
    pardon my french, but don't you think you may have shot your wad with the 140x10 & 152x8 to a small extent?

Quote Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
    pardon my french, but don't you think you may have shot your wad with the 140x10 & 152x8 to a small extent?
    For the endurance block (which I've been doing to no end for the past few months while trying to acclimate to my travel schedule), it's usually 4 working sets of 8-10 reps, in the 70%-80% range, with 3 increasingly heavy, and then a backoff. So last week was 140, 150, 160, 150. It's true that the 3rd (toughest) set is always kind of dicey after the two easier ones leading up to it, but my last tested 1RM was 215, and it's probably at least 200 on any given day regardless of how I feel, so 165 isn't thaaaaat heavy. The real problem yesterday was not getting enough sleep, too much stress at work, and a tired low back from the Saturday deadlifts (which are also trained using a similar rep/intensity range).

But it's true that I'm looking forward to getting back to sets of 3-5 (now that I'm actually able to string together good training days and move into the 2nd block of the program instead).
    Last edited by stuffedsuperdud; 01-08-2019 at 11:03 AM.

starting strength coach development program
    I got off work late after a long day, and really didn't want to lift. Times like that though, I remember Jim Steel saying, "Just go in and squat and leave!" and Jocko saying essentially the same thing, with, "If you can only go through the motions, just go through the motions."

So I went in and did:

Loooong warmup. Knees feeling kind of tender, probably a combination of sitting all day punctuated by these bursts at the gym.....

Squat:
    20kg x 10
    70x10
    110x8
    These felt really heavy but I kept at it.
    140x8
    150x4 => Listened to Fulcrum (Thanks buddy!!)
    Went straight to 165 and did:
    165x10 10RM PR

I knew as soon as I unracked it that I had a fighting chance. First few reps went down easy, but #7 was noticeably slow and 8-10 was just me telling myself to not be a pussy. Looooool glad to get that monkey of my back. Tomorrow's gonna suck though. Both my knees were complaining a bit but I decided to be a bit stupid and just power through. Let's see how they feel in the AM.... There was also a scary moment where I heard a tearing sound, like velcro, as I dropped into the hole on the first rep. Stood up, checked to make sure nothing was obviously fucked, and kept at it. Maybe it was from my wraps or pants or right shoe or something, iono. Didn't do a clothes inspection...or even backoff reps. Just sat there a second, broke down the barbell, and GTFO.