starting strength gym
Page 185 of 187 FirstFirst ... 85135175183184185186187 LastLast
Results 1,841 to 1,850 of 1870

Thread: Stuffed Superdud: Bumpy road to respectable lifting

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I just translated 165 into freedom units - holy shit, dude, that's awesome!

Thanks man. But 10RM PRs are just masturbation, right? Nothing matters until that 500lb squat....

Quick catchup:

On Saturday I tried to train some, but my elbow decided to rebel a bit, and I had trouble cleaning anything over 80kg. Ended up doing 80x4x4 and then put the bar away. Was kind of disgusted with myself though, so decided to not leave emptyhanded, and managed 45 burpees in 5 minutes.

On Sunday, I had to catch a flight out to Chicago. Was hoping to have some time to train in the AM, but of course it didn't work out. Managed do some dumbbell shoulder work, elbow mobility, and 50 burpees at the hotel gym.

On Monday, back to the hotel gym, but this time 50 mountain climbers instead.

On Tuesday, I ate way too much deep dish pizza, because Chicago, and rendered myself training ineffective. Got back into town just now, will trian tomorrow...

On Thursday I tried to train but got called back to work after push pressing 60kg for a set of 10. Just as well, too, as the elbow wasn't really cooperating. On Friday I had to work late. Tonight there was a company event, but while I was at the office grabbing the beer from the fridge, I decided to quit being a bitch, got my sweats out of my car, and did 54 burpees in 5 minutes in the reception area. Road to 100!

Will lift tomorrow if I can get through this snowstorm....

I'm intrigued by your goal of doing 100 in 5 minutes. Seems horrible, but interesting nonetheless. How do you break that down? I've done TABATA style (20s on, 10s rest) or as many as possible in one minute rest one minute'ish and repeat for 3 cycles.

Quote Originally Posted by caveman View Post
    I'm intrigued by your goal of doing 100 in 5 minutes. Seems horrible, but interesting nonetheless. How do you break that down? I've done TABATA style (20s on, 10s rest) or as many as possible in one minute rest one minute'ish and repeat for 3 cycles.

It was one of the old Strength Villain challenges, before he went off the deep end hard. The old posts from 2011 or so were quite entertaining and worth an occasional lookback. The others were 100 pushups in 2 minutes, squatting your own weight for 50 reps, a 5 mile ruck march with a 45lb pack, and something like 20 pullups with a 20lb weight. Together, these were supposed to be a fun way to get lean and muscular, without interfering too much with the barbell work. Because I'm a piece of shit though, I never managed to achieve any of them and just stuck with the thing i was better at, namely, the barbell. Well now that I am spending so much time in hotel rooms, I figured it was a good time to make some progress towards them.

As for how to actually do the burpee one, once I am further along I will probably need to be more organized to drive progress, but for now I'm just hammering at them. It usually ends up with an easy first 15-20, followed by 5's with a lot of huffing and puffing between mini-sets. Progress right now is mostly me getting over the mental blocks that pop up during the rests, i.e. telling myself, "Dude just do 2 more...." which usually ends up being about 5. No way I can do anything remotely strenuous on a Tabata clock right now... -_- ...but we'll get there.

This week was a bit of a mess since we last chatted. On Saturday night a pile of snow came down, followed by freezing rain. I didn't know the drill about shoveling snow, so I came outside on Monday to find my car, which I had parked in a ditch, embedded in about eight inches of ice, with the rest of it glazed over too. They salted the roads with but with what was apparently a -20F windchill, all it did was make blue ice. I was also too stupid to stock up on food, so had to get all my meals from the pub across the street, a surprisingly treacherous journey. I was also only wearing my peacoat, and was the coldest I had ever been. Things thawed a bit on Tuesday but my car was still immobilized because I didn't have a shovel that could break up the ice. On Wednesday I managed to kick myself out of the mess, but had to work late W-F to catch up on things. So there's that.

Today:
    Snatch (a full lift??!):
    20kg x5
    40x4
    50x4
    60x3
    70x2
    80x1x2
    85x1

I then stopped to bullshit with some kid at the gym and got cold. Went back down and did:
    60x2
    80x1
    90x1,0

Missed the 2nd one badly in front. Such is life.

Clean and jerk:
    20kg x billions
    40x4
    60x3
    80x2
    90x1x2
    100x1x2

Veeeerrry modest lifts, and they didn't feel particularly heavy, thank goodness, but a 100kg CJ is still the heaviest weight I've lifted in almost a year because #life. Will take it. The rust was showing though, and the 100s smacked me in the throat pretty badly. Hopefully it stops hurting by the time I wake up tomorrow...

Rare moment in town, so I must train:
    Bench:
    20kg x 10
    60x8
    80x5
    85x5,5,7

That's right, a hotel mirror caught me offguard and I realized how underdeveloped my chest was compared to the rest of me, so this is happening. Oftentimes, I find myself alone at the gym, and the power rack is too janky to bench in except with much difficulty, but today there were a few others there so I took advantage. Not too hard, and my right elbow is noticeably better at getting to the bottom position than it was, say, 6 months ago. Hey, any progress is progress, right?

Squat:
    20kg x 10
    70x8
    110x5
    140x5
    150x5
    160x5
    170x5
    160x5

Finally I'm able to move into the strength block....

Hey I'm back. So I was in Cincinnati for the past several days. ud2o where you at, homeslice??! Ended up trying both Skyline AND Gold Star chili, washed down with the black raspberry chocolate chip from Graeter's, because I was in mega basic mode. Delish. Got back and did:

Hang snatch + snatch 2+1:
    40x1
    50x1
    60x1
    70x1x2
    80x1x2

My shoulders definitely feel better than they used to ever since I starting to do all the extra mobility work with Yasha, and (with most reps) I can control the barbell through the entire rep and no longer feel the weight crashing down on me at the bottom. Hooray for being on Year 8 of this fucking misadventure and still having room for major technical advancements....

Snatch press + OHS 5+5
    40x1
    50x1
    60x1
    70x1

And another quick training:

Power jerk + split jerk 3+2
    20x bajillions for the elbow
    40x1
    50x1
    60x1
    70x1
    80x1
    90x1x2

And then I had to peace out early because Brooke needed me to kill a spider or some shit like that.

Uh....what's up with these ads appearing in the bodies of posts? Kinda disruptive, ya know.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by stuffedsuperdud View Post
    Uh....what's up with these ads appearing in the bodies of posts? Kinda disruptive, ya know.
    yeah, its a thing now.
    I think I figured it out.
    Its the first and last post of the thread you have on the page.