starting strength gym
Page 2 of 187 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Stuffed Superdud: Bumpy road to respectable lifting

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    9/6/2013
    Came off a shitty week of no lifting due to crazy work schedule. The work is rewarding, I suppose, so I can't complain, but it was still pretty annoying not to train for several days.

Push
    Press: 145x5x3. I was supposed to do 155 today, but was feeling pretty bad when I went to the gym so I knocked off 10lbs. I started feeling better and the 3rd set was easier than the 1st but oh well.

Squat
    255x5x3. Form fell apart in the 3rd set because of the patellar issues and I goodmorninged a few reps. I squat high bar (yea yea I don't care. I do what I want) so it's especially egregious, but hey, I'll take it.

Sn/CJ
    Both rotators still feel kind of beat up (the right one has been bothering me all week, including when I sleep on it) so I limited the overhead work to pressing.

Pulls
    N/A Squats killed me. Since squats are no longer 95lb shitshows now that my knee is better they have become a bit more tiring and everything else might take a bit of a hit while I LP my way back to 350lbs or so.

9/6/2013
    Pretty stressed out about life in general but thought I'd get something in anyway.

Push
    N/A

Squat
    Front squat 210x5x2, 210x7
    Thought I'd take a light day since I was deadlifting so FS it was. The last time I front squatted, I was pinned by the 2nd rep of the 2nd set at 210 so it was nice to crank out seven reps at the end. Road to recovery continues!

Sn/CJ
    I was short on time and had a lot of stuff I had to go take care of, so I skipped this. I figured it was no big loss since at this stage in my recovery, strength is the only priority.

Pulls
    Eccentric clean pulls: 127.5kgx5x3
    Deadlift: 150kgx5

9/12/2013
    Heh heh....I haven't trained in a few days... Stress levels at work are at an all-time high and I've barely slept, which sucks. I've also had a bit of a recent surge in my luck with the ladies (this is weird new territory for a 4everalone moper like me), so my evenings are further destroyed. (I cancelled a date to go lift once and was kicking myself by the time I was warming up...never again). But I got in there today to play around.

Push
    N/A

Squat
    N/A

Sn/CJ
    I came in today to just play around with the lifts.

Snatch:
    40kgx3x2
    50kgx3
    55kgx3
    60kgx3
    65kgx2
    70kgx4 (missed 3)
    I was trying to fast so I kept breaks to 90 seconds. I was kind of gassed at the end and the strength crapped out but it was fun.

CJ
    50kgx3
    60kgx3
    70kgx3
    80kgx2 (wobbly jerk)
    90kgx2 (missed 1 jerk)
    100kg clean. Post injury PR.

Pulls
    N/A

9/13/2013
    Squat and leave. I had a packed schedule today so I squeezed this in Jim Steel style and left

Push
    Briefly considered fitting in some snatch-grip pushes but ran out of time.

Squat
    Squat: 265x5x3. Still going with those 10lb jumps. I don't remember exactly but I think around here I was already down to 5lb jumps back in 2011. Guess Rip was right about how things are easier the 2nd time around.

Sn/CJ
    Tomorrow...

Pulls
    Tomorrow...excited because I love snatch-grip deads. Gonna catch a sick lat pump, brahs.

9/14/2013
    Push
    N/A

Squat
    N/A

Sn/CJ
    Snatch:
    40kgx3x2
    50kgx3
    55kgx3
    60kgx3
    65kgx3
    70kg for four attempts, missed 2
    75kg miss

C&J:
    50kgx3
    60kgx3
    70kgx3
    80kgx2
    I mentally checked out a bit here.
    90kg missed clean once, missed jerk once

Pulls
    Eccentric snatch pulls: 97.5kgx5x2
    Snatch grip deadlift: 105kgx5

9/15/2013
    Snuck into the gym during the 49ers Seahawks rain delay. (Ugh it turned into a blowout while I was lifting..)

Push
    Snatch grip press: 52kgx5x3
    Rotators holding up. 3rd set felt better than 1st set even.

Squat
    Squat: 275x5x3. Another 10lb jump. The knee is healing to the point where the asymmetry issues are much less obtrusive.

Sn/CJ

Pulls

Pretty happy with this weekend's training. Managed three sessions despite crappy schedule and took two 10lb jumps in squat. Excited about getting back to pre-injury #s.
    Last edited by stuffedsuperdud; 09-16-2013 at 01:40 AM.

9/19/2013
    This week as been another nightmare at work but the next few days should be better. I was exhausted and definitely didn't have the mental focus to do sn/cj but I figured some brute strength would be a fun way to blow off some steam and pent up frustration.

Push
    Press: 155lbx5x3
    Recall I was supposed to do 155 last time but felt bad and knocked it down to 145. Well, I toyed with the idea of working up to 155 2.5lbs at a time, and had 155 for a final over-warmup single. It felt so easy I pressed it four more times and decided to just keep 155 for shits and giggles. I regret nothing.

Squat
    Front Squat: 215x5x3. Rebuilding dat quad. I can tell my right side was doing more work (it's warm and buzzing at me now while the left side is quiet like a shamed schoolboy), but hey 215 is still a 5lb jump. 60lbs more till I am back to pre-injury #s.

Sn/CJ

Pulls

9/21/2013
    Another squat and leave kind of day. I ended up having to work all day today on poor sleep and was feeling a bit ragged.

Push

Squat
    Squat: 285x5x2
    In between sets 2 and 3 I got an emergency phone call that took 30 minutes. Thought about leaving and doing it again tomorrow or Monday, but then I remember a co-worker saying, "Hey I already suffered halfway. I might as well make it a full day and get paid."
    So I did a quick re-warmup with 135x5, 225x5, and banged out
    285x5x1
    Does this count? Well I'm my own referee and I say yes....and it's another 10lb jump on the long road back.

Sn/CJ

Pulls

9/22/2013
    Push
    Snatch grip press: 54kgx5x3. The left rotator was angry and still aggravated from the tweak a few weeks ago but I pushed through.

Squat
    No squats today but yikes am I sore from yesterday. I'm taking this as a good sign though since DOMS has been noticeably absent in the lower body since my accident.
    However, because of the sore knee, I spent the last 10 minutes today doing BW squats just to get the blood moving and give the patella some track work.

Sn/CJ
    Snatch:
    40kgx3
    50x3
    55x3
    60x3
    65x2
    70x0 missed 2x and called it. Between the shoulder pain and the fatigue from yesterday's efforts, I was gassed here.

My knee was bothering me all day today, probably due to yesterday's squats, so I didn't do CJ.

Pulls

starting strength coach development program
    9/23/2013
    Basically the 2nd half of yesterday's sesh.

Push

Squat
    Front squat: 220x5x3
    Onwards and upwards. I was particularly angry for having been pinned by this exact weight five minutes earlier (See below) so I banged these out.

Sn/CJ
    CJ:
    50kgx3
    60kgx3
    70x3
    80x2
    90x2 The jerks were competition legal, no pressouts, but just barely.
    100kg Pinned at the bottom. I immediately banished myself to the squat rack.

Pulls
    Eccentric clean pulls:
    100kgx5
    115x5
    130x5x2 Hips starting to come up a bit

Deadlift: 155kgx5
    These were done with high hips, i.e. regular deadlift instead of the clean 1st pulls I meant to do. I might take this weight again and then switch to 2.5kg jumps.

Page 2 of 187 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast