Page 24 of 187 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474124 ... LastLast

Thread: Stuffed Superdud: Bumpy road to respectable lifting

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    8/3/2014
    Push

Squat

Not going to lie: the disaster that was intensity day last Sunday really got into my head and left me afraid to squat all week. I finally decided to break the streak of failure today and throw some volume at myself.

Squat: 350x5x5
    Repeat of last volume day, only this time it was pretty easy, except for the last set, which included two ugly grinders. Hopefully this gets me back on the horse.

Sn/CJ

Pulls

Don't let the fear get you man. Persevere!

8/6/2014
    This volume day thing is starting to hurt, and I can't seem to unsore myself quickly enough to hit good bottom positions the next day or three later. Guess it's time to up the protein. Not much I can do about the sleep or stress though.

Push

Squat

Sn/CJ

Pulls

Realized my straps weren't in my bag, so eccentric component since hook grip was killing my thumbs.

Snatch pulls
    60kgx5
    100x5
    120x5

Snatch deadlift:
    135x5

Cancergirl's March to Victory
    Squat:
    45lbx5x2
    55x5
    60x5 5RM PR with tons in the tank.

Deadlift:
    45x5
    55x5
    77x3
    88x1
    90x5x2 5RM PR and then a bonus set of 5 for shits and giggles.

She's really enthusiastic about deadlifting after noticing the other day that for the first time in a long time, she could spend the whole day running around with her nieces and nephews without any back pain, so who was I to stop her when she wanted to do another set.

However, she did see some yoked-out CrossFit chick strutting around in her Lululemon workout lingerie the other day and was unnerved by that girl's massive traps. Frankly, I found it quite awesome and tried to ask her out right then and there (I failed), but Cancergirl became very nervous about upper body work at the sight. I explained CF's emphasis on crap like kipping pullups and those obnoxious SDHPs, which seemed to help a little, but I might have trouble getting her to press and bench in the near future, esp. since she never liked doing that anyway. But hey, as long as we're squatting and deadlifting, I figure we're winning 90% of the battle anyway.

I was around your strengths in the squat when I found I needed to hold back on volume day a little. 5x5 @ 90% can get to be a bit much.

Quote Originally Posted by hamburgerfan View Post
    I was around your strengths in the squat when I found I needed to hold back on volume day a little. 5x5 @ 90% can get to be a bit much.
    I agree. When I was doing TM, I'd run the volume day at the same weight as long as I could and still hit my intensity sets. When ID got hard, I would up the volume weights by 5 lbs and see how that worked.

Tell cancergirl that I think she's rocking the house. She'll get semi-yoked by sticking with the DLs; and then, if it turns out she wants more o' dat, she get bench, press, and do heavy shrugs! Seriously, she's doing great!

Quote Originally Posted by hamburgerfan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldman View Post
    I agree. When I was doing TM, I'd run the volume day at the same weight as long as I could and still hit my intensity sets. When ID got hard, I would up the volume weights by 5 lbs and see how that worked.
    Copy that. I haven't had an intensity day since the epic 400 failure. Let's see how the next one goes and I'll adjust accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldman View Post
    Tell cancergirl that I think she's rocking the house. She'll get semi-yoked by sticking with the DLs; and then, if it turns out she wants more o' dat, she get bench, press, and do heavy shrugs! Seriously, she's doing great!
    Thanks! I'll pass the word along! She cares quite a bit about what you think, actually, since you've been down this path already and came out stronger on the other side. I think she's catching the bug, at last: today she looked over at the cardio farm and said, "I used to just do the same thing year after year on that damn treadmill but now I'm getting stronger every day!" She's worried about losing motivation once LP starts to peter out, but I figure, by the time we get there, even if she never transitions to intermediate programming, she'll mostly have gotten what she came for anyway, and will be in maybe the strongest 10% of women walking the Earth, and probably the top 1% of all young women coming back from cancer. For all my cynicism/pessimism/whining about the pointlessness of an 800lb squat, I do have to break character and admit that yes, of course barbells change lives. But then, you guys all knew that already.

8/6/2014
    Push

Squat

Sn/CJ

Snatch:
    40kgx3
    50x3x2
    60x3
    70x2
    80x0,1 (Just had to recite my cues out loud)
    85x0x2 Banged it with my hips 2x.

The first 85 miss tossed me out the back and flipped me into the wall, heh. Hopefully no one mentions this in that E&P gym thread. "Some dork tried to do a weird deadlift thing and almost died!"

I'm frustrated that my 400 squat isn't magically translating into a 22ish snatch. It's certainly a technique issue, so I guess we'll work on that going forward.

Pulls

"Huh...why is my upper back sore?"
    -Cancergirl, this morning

Surprise! It takes your whole body to pull a barbell! Deadlifts are a one-stop shop, babe.

8/9/2014

Push
    Press intensity: 175x3x2
    Pretty tired by the time I got to press (see squats) and knew during warmups that it was going to be trouble. Will take the two triples, I guess. I think these are volume PRs.

Squat
    Squat intensity: 405x3,1 3RM PR from the haaaiiii baaaahhhrr
    Snuck into the 4-plate club muahahaha come at me bros.
    On the first set, I was terrified after the 400 mess, even though my warmups were easy, all the way up to 365x1 paused. Was pretty relieved when the 1st rep went down and up fast. Rep 3 was pretty hard so I racked it to set up for a second triple....which ended up being a single + a fail. Oh well, close enough, I guess. Maybe this will put me back in the saddle...sort if.

Sn/CJ

Pulls

Wtg and welcome to the club

starting strength coach development program
    Congratulations on the four-plate triple! Nice presses, too, dude.