starting strength gym
Page 43 of 187 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393143 ... LastLast

Thread: Stuffed Superdud: Bumpy road to respectable lifting

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I enjoy reading your log and will follow.

It's certainly an entertaining log. It's one i read without fail.

Quote Originally Posted by stuffedsuperdud View Post
    One of the BJJ guys had just gotten done training with a new girl and was joking about how she should arm-wrestle him. Without saying a word, the coach sidestepped her, walked over to a jerk box, put his arm on it, and looked him in the eye. The BJJ guy asked, with a stupid grin on his face, "Uh.......what's happening?" The coach just looked some more and wagged his arm a bit. The BJJ guy went, "Ooooh, I see," and walked over. I'm thinking, "Oh crap, Coach is gonna break his humerus," and was already looking for the landline to call 9-1-1. While I panicked, the girl went, "3...2..1..go!" and the 60-year-old, 130lb coach easily pinned the 25-year-old, 180lb BJJ guy with one smooth motion. Maximum honeybadger, guys.

Gym owner: "Really man? You dread coming to training? 'Oh look I'm SuperBitch: I have the privilege of lifting with a Soviet-era athlete/coach and I'm afraid it'll be too hard! 1st World problem, man."
    Me: "Uh....isn't being afraid that your CCCP coach will kill you technically a 2nd World problem?"
    Laughed out loud in the cafeteria here at work

And I've used something like your D-day metaphor too, especially regarding sleep and food. If those guys could go all day long on scant sleep and those little MRE packets of food...

Glad to hear that CG got back in the gym and may have caught the Oly bug!

Blergh no training for a few days on account of work, but hey, gives me time to let the hip flexor calm down a bit. The party continues tomorrow though. In the meantime, here's a morbidly funny story:

I was dropping off some ice for Cancergirl's DOMS last week after her snatchfest and found that her mom (AKA Her Royal Highness) was visiting. They were sorting some old family photos, you know, the faded blurry ones from the 70s and earlier. They ended up coming across a big one that had been very carefully put away, showing a group of men in splendid uniforms representing all branches of Ruritania's one mighty armed forces. They were mostly men in their mid-20's, perhaps recent graduates of Sandhurst or Saint-Cyr, and heavily armed with bravado, thick moustaches, and really big hats, fulfilling a duty that their small country expected of all their young royals, but there were a few older guys mixed in who had traded in the puffed up chests for grim, tightly-drawn lips and worried eyes. Seated at the center was a patriarch character whose glory days seemed to date back to trench warfare and mustard gas, if not muskets and swords.

"Oh this is awesome!" I interrupted their casual page-flipping and stopped at the group pic. "Who are they? When was this?"

Cancergirl started to reply, but HRH jumped in, her voice full of pride and emotion. "These are my uncles and cousins! This was taken right before CG was born. The war had just started and they all found out they had to go to the border to stop the invasion."

"Holy crap. What happened next?"

HRH looked at me like I was an idiot. "THE WAR HAPPENED. Or do they not teach that in "history" in American high school? You guys think it's all about you and the world began in 1776?!"

"Uh...sorry, go on."

"Sorry, it is all still so fresh in my heart. Oh, well, they all left, and we did not know it was going to last so long.... None of them were killed, thank God. Actually, that reminds me of something kind of funny."

"Oh yea?"

"Well, one person is missing from the picture. He was his mommy's baby and he very did not want to go, so his parents called all their connections and begged and begged and said that he shouldn't go, so finally, they said okay he doesn't have to go."

"Uh......even though civilians were already being murdered in the border towns, and women and children were taking up arms to defend themselves?"

"Yes, but let me tell the story. This is the funny part. So all the men except him left. A few days later, he was showing off on the motorcycle his father bought him and crashed it and died. And then no one came to his funeral because they did not want to be seen with him. Everyone said, 'You could have died defending your people! But now you died a coward!' HA! So funny and pathetic!"

NB: I had known CG for a year before I met the mom, and when I did, it became painfully clear where CG gets her sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by hbriem View Post
    I enjoy reading your log and will follow.
    Hey Helgi! I aim to please. It's nice to know that a real life freaky strong cancer-surviving Viking descendent is watching. Guess I'd better hurry up and get that deadlift out of the shame zone and past the 500lb mark, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by ithryn View Post
    If those guys could go all day long on scant sleep and those little MRE packets of food...
    Oy. My first year of high school, the JROTC unit I was in spent a week running / navigating our way around some nasty woods for about 20 hours a day, eating nothing but MREs. Most of cadets only ate the entree, or perhaps the big cracker thing with the peanut butter, but I found the whole thing delicious, and in addition to eating all 5,000 or so calories in my pack, I would scramble to finish off whatever the other kids didn't want before the guys on trash duty came around. Turns out, if it's enough calories for a fully growed-up frickin' Army Ranger to make war with the enemy all day without going hungry, it's enough for some damn 150lb kid who's just walking around squinting at a map. Everyone else ended the trip down several lbs, but I actually spent the entire bus ride back bloated and actually heavier than I was when we started (kind of like like Sam from Lord of the Rings). Good times.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldman View Post
    Glad to hear that CG got back in the gym and may have caught the Oly bug!
    Yes! It'd be fun to see her put in a few months of work and do something like 40/60. Her interests fluctuate wildly though, so we're being cautiously optimistic going ahead.... :/
    Last edited by stuffedsuperdud; 01-21-2015 at 04:54 AM.

Hey Helgi! I aim to please. It's nice to know that a real life freaky strong cancer-surviving Viking descendent is watching. Guess I'd better hurry up and get that deadlift out of the shame zone and past the 500lb mark, eh?
    Thanks, but ... cancer survivor? Not me.

Ha! A misunderstanding. Someone joked that before you started lifting you looked like you had cancer and based on your "before" picture I thought that you actually were recovering from an illness....heh..... But hey you're huge and terrifying now so it'll be fun to try and catch up to your bench and DL.

Okay real post now because I trained. There was some sort of accident on the freeway and turned a quick 15 minute hop into a 90 minute nightmare, so I was pretty cramped and exhausted by the time I got to the gym. Coach wasn't sure if I was coming today, so I was kind of hoping that everyone else would be off today and he just wouldn't show up. Well, I got there, did a lap around the parking lot, and didn't see that souped up Trans-Am thing he drives, so I thought I was in the clear. Walked through the big doors and he ambushes me from the side. "Hey you're late! Okay warm up warm up!"

I was having trouble getting to a good bottom snatch position and mentioned that my left rotator cuff was junky. Coach poked around and found the HOLY MOTHER of all trigger points and I was immediately able to snatch properly, tears and all.

Snatch:
    20kgx a billion
    40kgx3
    52x3x2
    60x3x2
    67x3x2
    62x3x2

I missed one rep total. Not bad compared to missing maybe 40% of lifts, evenly distributed across all weights, 2 months ago, which earned a rare sort-of compliment from the coach. If you're wondering why the #s are kind odd and low-ish, it's because I'm on a sort of program now.

Snatch push press + OHS 1+3
    40kgx1x2
    50x1x2
    60x1x2
    70x1
    60x1

Shoulders were on fire by rep 3. Brilliant exercise.

Super slo-mo snatch DLs, with eccentric phase
    80kgx3x2
    90x3x2
    Catch a sick pump in your traps and low back, brahs.

Front squat:
    60kgx4
    90x3
    110x3
    120x2x2
    Keepin' it light and easy.

Gym owner was like, "I get the feeling you do what I used to do back when I was going on sales calls." I asked what that was and he explains, "You come here, park the car, go through every stage of grief, and then, after acceptance, compose yourself and walk into the gym." Bingo.

BTW so someone asked me the other day what American Gladiators is, which brought back a huge wave of memories. A bunch of roided out low-level bodybuilders wearing red white and blue spandex, foam helmets, and LA Gears? YES PLEASE? Of course I hadn't quite discovered the fairer sex at the time, but I definitely decided right then and there that Lace and Siren looked much more fun to play with (as in, kickball, not sweaty horizontal dancing) than the girls I knew. I wonder if Freud would think that had anything to do with my current preference for jacked women?

So some quick YouTubing suddenly revealed to me that there had been a short-lived remake several years ago??! Holy crap this is awesome. Non-surprise of the century: Mike O'Hearn is in this thing. Still looks like a mannequin.

And holy crap how hot is Gina Carano?

Pretty sure once I squat 500lbs, she'll go out with me. That's how squats work, right?

starting strength coach development program
    And holy crap how hot is Gina Carano?
    Pretty sure once I squat 500lbs, she'll go out with me. That's how squats work, right?
    What!?!? Now I have to race YOU to 500? Great. Juuust great. (x~x)

Your training log is my favorite, by the way.