starting strength gym
Page 56 of 187 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866106156 ... LastLast

Thread: Stuffed Superdud: Bumpy road to respectable lifting

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    There is no way to say this in a non creepy way. Snatch PR's are the best.

Quote Originally Posted by stuffedsuperdud View Post
    Next, am I the only one here NOT doing it? Oy vey this site has evolved quite a ways from those crazy "Squat and leave! YNDTP, pussy! Yoga is 90's small!" days, huh, when Rip was still wearing those awful cargo shorts and the dairy industry made a killing off of us.
    If it's any consolation, I used to do yoga and have grown to the point I can't stand it. The next time a perma-smile late 20s sweetheart tells me to 'release my inner goddess' and 'feel the space within the space,' I'm going to grab my yoga mat and start beating people like an American Psycho slumber party. JK. Enjoy the classes, but know that you're not alone.

Also, nice snatch PR! Slowly but surely...

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Gotcher View Post
    If it's any consolation, I used to do yoga and have grown to the point I can't stand it. The next time a perma-smile late 20s sweetheart tells me to 'release my inner goddess' and 'feel the space within the space,' I'm going to grab my yoga mat and start beating people like an American Psycho slumber party. JK. Enjoy the classes, but know that you're not alone.

Also, nice snatch PR! Slowly but surely...
    Not all classes are like that. I would't go to one of those! That would enrage me. Opposite effect namaste.

Thanks folks. The elephant in the room is, of course, that 92 ain't shit in the grand scheme of things, but it's a step in the right direction. Direction to where though? Ehhhhh B-session at the 2020 American Open if I'm lucky, I guess. Can you believe that in January 2012 I was convinced I'd do 120/150 as a -94 by the end of the year and go to the Palm Springs AO????? LOLOLOL this shit is much harder than the Cal Strength team of 2011 made it look....dammit.

Today:
    Woke up feeling like garbage. Shoulders and traps totally destroyed from all those beeeg pulls, and some rotator cuff tendonitis to boot.

I got to the gym late and found out that since no one else had come in at all, coach had left early to go get his beer on....but he told one of the trainers to not let me leave. Instead I was ordered to do:

Snatch extra-high pulls
    60kg x 3
    80x3
    90x3x3
    100x3x2
    105x3

Pause slow mo squat:
    70x5
    110x4
    140x3
    145x3
    150x3

Again, the knee feels pretty good, hence stressing the slow eccentric and zero bounce to try to get these janky tendons in order.

My shoulder was killing me all day, but after I warmed up, it cleared up. I've been getting this a lot lately, and not just with the shoulder, either. Any idea what's going on?

Also, the trainer they had babysitting the gym while the owner partied was talking to some other guy about the commonly believed 1-3 reps = power, 3-8 = strength, 8+ = hypertrophy. Is this still a thing? Or are we shifted to the whole "volume drives progress" in general thing, where we sort of hand-wave a bit at what "volume" means?" Related: the issue of whether myofibril concentration vs. sarcoplasm thing is true or not. This also teeters on the whole "can power be trained?" business. And even more tangentially, the CNS boogeyman.

The dude asked me to weigh in and I was like, "Ugh you know what? I used to agree 100% with everything you said but now I have no idea." Better read more Vershanksky, I guess? Or is he outdated too? Crap. We need about 10 more articles similar to Lt. Gotcher's...to start.

Quote Originally Posted by stuffedsuperdud View Post
    Thanks folks. The elephant in the room is, of course, that 92 ain't shit in the grand scheme of things, but it's a step in the right direction. Direction to where though? Ehhhhh B-session at the 2020 American Open if I'm lucky, I guess. Can you believe that in January 2012 I was convinced I'd do 120/150 as a -94 by the end of the year and go to the Palm Springs AO????? LOLOLOL this shit is much harder than the Cal Strength team of 2011 made it look....dammit.

Today:
    Woke up feeling like garbage. Shoulders and traps totally destroyed from all those beeeg pulls, and some rotator cuff tendonitis to boot.

I got to the gym late and found out that since no one else had come in at all, coach had left early to go get his beer on....but he told one of the trainers to not let me leave. Instead I was ordered to do:

Snatch extra-high pulls
    60kg x 3
    80x3
    90x3x3
    100x3x2
    105x3

Pause slow mo squat:
    70x5
    110x4
    140x3
    145x3
    150x3

Again, the knee feels pretty good, hence stressing the slow eccentric and zero bounce to try to get these janky tendons in order.

My shoulder was killing me all day, but after I warmed up, it cleared up. I've been getting this a lot lately, and not just with the shoulder, either. Any idea what's going on?

Also, the trainer they had babysitting the gym while the owner partied was talking to some other guy about the commonly believed 1-3 reps = power, 3-8 = strength, 8+ = hypertrophy. Is this still a thing? Or are we shifted to the whole "volume drives progress" in general thing, where we sort of hand-wave a bit at what "volume" means?" Related: the issue of whether myofibril concentration vs. sarcoplasm thing is true or not. This also teeters on the whole "can power be trained?" business. And even more tangentially, the CNS boogeyman.

The dude asked me to weigh in and I was like, "Ugh you know what? I used to agree 100% with everything you said but now I have no idea." Better read more Vershanksky, I guess? Or is he outdated too? Crap. We need about 10 more articles similar to Lt. Gotcher's...to start.
    It's spelled "Verkhoshansky" and I am not amused.

Solid snatch. I figured that myofibrillar vs. sarcoplasmic was for pedantic nerds/functional fitness assholes since you can't really accurately influence it and volume=gainz.

A 92 kg snatch isn't to be scoffed at. Since BW is dropping, you might snatch BW soon. And be ahead of 99% of all recreational lifters and 95% of the ones on this board, I think. And snatch is just the coolest barbell lift, no matter how you slice it.

Usually minor tendonitis clears up when warm for me, I think it's fairly common. I always hurt more before a workout than during/after.

Quote Originally Posted by DV View Post
    Usually minor tendonitis clears up when warm for me, I think it's fairly common. I always hurt more before a workout than during/after.
    That's the nature of the pathology man. It doesn't mean you're not doing any damage. My first tendinopahy was in the 4th grade. I was a dumb kid playing a lot of soccer and I just played through it because it didn't hurt much when I was playing. I remember coming in from recess one day and about an hour later when I had cooled down the teacher had to put me in a wheel chair.

Quote Originally Posted by DV View Post
    You might snatch BW soon. And be ahead of 99% of all recreational lifters and 95% of the ones on this board, I think. And snatch is just the coolest barbell lift, no matter how you slice it.
    Yes, snatch is definitely my favorite lift by far. I actually have this irrational fear that I'll forget how to do it overnight, so the 1st few warmups are always nervous; often, the first few at 20kg are the hardest of all, before I get over this weird mental hangup. Re: hitting bodyweight, I'd BETTER. Right now, the other guys are a -94 and a -105 who are both good for around 120kg despite training around some old gnarly knee injuries from when they played college football, and that -77/85 kid who rocketed his way to 90kg in a month (he basically LP'ed that shit, adding 5kg every day 2-3 days a week). Meanwhile I'm down here with the two girls, and the first one is probably going to hit BW in a few months at the rate she's going.

I complained to the coach though and he was like, "Man, you've only been training for real for 4 months!" Guess all that time spent in 2011-2014 training with a bad coach, training alone, and training injured was a wash, huh. Lame. Now that my technique seems to be stabilizing, maybe I can do around 100kg at 100kg BW in, say, May/June? Deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Diebolt View Post
    My first tendinopahy was in the 4th grade....the teacher had to put me in a wheel chair.
    That's hilarious.

starting strength coach development program
    I think it'd be easier to diet down further, than adding 10% to your snatch. Not particularly fun, though.