starting strength gym
Page 63 of 187 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573113163 ... LastLast

Thread: Stuffed Superdud: Bumpy road to respectable lifting

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ Gotcher View Post
    I hope this is an honest-to-God quote... because that's hilarious.
    I almost spit my coffee all over my computer screen.

Quote Originally Posted by George Christiansen View Post
    Which is why I pray daily that the sweet baby Jesus sends the zombies to save us. Please Lord, cull the herd!
    .. . . . in our office, its: "please let the asteroid hit now, and let it make the dinosaur killer look like a firecracker"

Quote Originally Posted by stuffedsuperdud View Post
    I didn't train today but I am posting here with relevant information:

I missed training due to a horrible experiment. You guys ready for this shit?
    For Idlehands: we decided to try Settlers of Catan with both the seafarers and the cities and knights expansions AND with 6 players. Base game Settlers with 6 is already a slog, so you can imagine how this one went. Klaus Teuber did his darndest and clearly put a lot of effort into the 5-6 player expansions, but the game wasn't really meant to support this kind of load, especially with all the expansions, which meant a lot of new rules for people to learn. The damn thing dragged on for hours, with me in last place with 3 points and no resources for most of it. When the runaway leader realized he had plateaued with 8 points and would have great difficulty accumulating any more, we called it, and swore right then and there to never try that again.

By now our brains were fried and coach and the gym had long since closed, so we broke out a party game called Resistance. We figured it'd be a lightweight affair, but were very pleasantly, or unpleasantly, surprised. Everyone check this bad boy out.

It's Mafia/Werewolf on steroids, with much more room for deduction and deception. Be sure to use the plot cards. They're called a built-in expansion, but without them, the base game is extremely boring and easy for the enemy spies to win. The games were extremely thrilling, and, as a spy, can be veeeeery draining emotionally: I fell apart towards the end, when I was the only one not yet outed, made a critical mistake one step away from victory, and the whole jig was up. Much adrenaline was expended by all.

Attractive people playing:

Only catch: Playing a deduction / poker-face-reading party game can yield some veeeery unexpected outcomes when, aside from CG but definitely including me, everyone has limited social skills and several folks in the room have been diagnosed with some degree of Asperger syndrome (for those of you not in the know, SSD Game Night is just me, CG + a bunch of really whacky co-workers who for obvious reasons have nothing else to do after work). At one point, one of them, when wrongly accused of being a spy, had absolutely no ability to convince everyone he was innocent, and instead had a near panic attack, repeating nothing but "Huh?! Me?! No! NO NO NO! There has to be some sort of mistake! I am not a spy!" until they all left him alone. Later, towards the end of the game, as the innocents zeroed in on another one, this one an actual spy, the stress of the role became too much and he freaked out and had to close his eyes, cover his ears, and grit his teeth from the sensory overload. He nervously chuckled it off later, but it seemed like an actual medical emergency for a second.

Never a dull moment with these guys.
    Now i wanna add resistance to the list.

Buddies want to go camping and play D&D all night. I'm kinda game. I may bring my keg of mead. Cause why not. I still have to get a wine box. I want to send drunken and dragons on youtube a bottle. Every mead I've had from the store is not as good as home brew.

As to crossfit and selfie stick. Couple of us want to go to the crossfit place in hoodies and bench more than the guys doing their 6am class deadlifts. Random bench bro day to goof off. May also be fun to just toss up some 100kg snatches cause why not right? I've heard rumors the early class is endurance heavy and scales all the Wods back to super light.

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    .. . . . in our office, its: "please let the asteroid hit now, and let it make the dinosaur killer look like a firecracker"
    I just want to thin the heard. Not kill everyone off.

The sole reason I train is to survive the zombie apocalypse.

now I'm going to start posting selfies to this thread.....

Hey Oldman! Long time no see. How's training? Is the home gym cancelling out the effects of the travel and soccer schedule?

Quote Originally Posted by idlehands View Post
    Now i wanna add resistance to the list.

Buddies want to go camping and play D&D all night. I'm kinda game. I may bring my keg of mead. Cause why not. I still have to get a wine box. I want to send drunken and dragons on youtube a bottle. Every mead I've had from the store is not as good as home brew.

As to crossfit and selfie stick. Couple of us want to go to the crossfit place in hoodies and bench more than the guys doing their 6am class deadlifts. Random bench bro day to goof off. May also be fun to just toss up some 100kg snatches cause why not right? I've heard rumors the early class is endurance heavy and scales all the Wods back to super light.
    All of the above sounds ridiculously fun. Drunk D&D in the woods? Hell yea. The whole point of being an adult is that you don't have to ask for your parents' permission before you go and do that, right? But yea, definitely try resistance. It's a cheap little game that scales well with group size. I think for small groups, it's okay to play it without the extra cards, but after 6 people or so, it becomes way too hard to do any fun deduction without them. Also, yea, add alcohol.

Quote Originally Posted by RugbySmartarse View Post
    now I'm going to start posting selfies to this thread.....
    I like where this is going..... Speaking of which, I was going to save this for that Joined a New Gym thread, but since the topic came up, I wandered into a Gold's the other day because the guy driving the car wanted to sign up and I wanted to make a pitstop in the locker room. Walked in on 3 bros in the middle of a shirtless selfie photoshoot in front of the mirror. We're not talking one picture, either; this was an entire posedown that kept on going even after I left a few minutes later. The funniest part was, one of them, their alpha, I guess, looked ready to compete (thick solid tight, veins on abs, etc.) but the other two looked like garbage, but were arrogant douchebags anyway. They were all shouting encouragement at each other in a Dom Mazzetti voice, only in full seriousness. WTF.

Speaking of which....I'd like to order one asteroid to the Golds in Santa Ana California, please. And then a second one, in case the first one didn't quite do the job.

You guys ready for a bad day? I hadn't trained since last Tuesday, so I figured today I'd either be super strong or super weak. Welp, it's me, so.....yea......

Snatch:
    40kgx3
    50x3
    60x2
    70x2,0,2 LOL WTF was up with that middle set? Warning of what's to come, is what.
    80x1
    85x0x3
    Coach was furious. "We were gonna do 85, 90, 95, 100 today! Now you are fucking up the last warmup? Too many days no training! Fucking lazy. You coming tomorrow? Yes! You coming tomorrow!

60x3x3
    70x3x2
    75x2

Muscle snatch:
    60x0,1,0,1
    WTF......everything feels so heavy........ Coach lost interest in me at this point and started helping an new girl overhead squat the PVC pipe.

High-hang snatch:
    60x3x2
    70x3

Then I got too cold from making shitchat with Girl 2, who was back today after being down for two weeks with some junky inflammation in her upper back and giddly snatching 20kg over and over again.

Snatch super high pulls "To your chin!":
    90x3x6
    "Hey asshole, how come when I tell you to give me the high pull you give me the high pull, but when you snatch, you don't give me any pull?!??!"
    I am terrified of the bar and want to get under as quickly as possible."
    "Augh fuck. Fucking puss. I mean pussy. It's pussy, right?"
    "Right."
    "Right, fucking pussy is you!"
    -___-

Pause front squat:
    60x5
    100x5
    110x3
    120x3
    130x3

Abs + back crap.

Self-loathing x 20:00.

Realized at the end that I had forgotten to eat all day. So I guess we'll call these all fasted PRs.......?! Nah it's just crappy lifting.
    Last edited by stuffedsuperdud; 04-20-2015 at 09:44 PM.

All day today my shoulder and elbow were bothering me.....and then, a miracle. After I warmed up, the shoulder discomfort cleared up and the right elbow magically achieved full extension for the first time in years. WTF. Just in time, too!

BTN jerks:
    20kg x billions
    40x5
    50x5
    60x3x2
    70x3
    80x3x2
    90x3
    100x3
    110x1
    120x1 PR'zzzz

Tried another rep at 120 and missed it badly.

I've never actually attempted this exercise for anything heavier than 90kg, so everything after that is technically a PR. The "real" PR though is the 120, which is the heaviest weight I've ever put overhead. Embarrassing as hell since I've been doing this for years, but hey, better late than never, right? I was magically sticking all my landings and getting strong elbow lockouts too. Coach was amused.

Regular jerks:
    60kg x4
    70x3
    80x3
    90x3

Power cleans:
    60kg x3
    70x3
    80x3
    90x3
    100x2
    110x2 moar PR's

90x3x2

Not gonna let you jump-n-shruggers have all the fun now am I? I've never liked PC's much; I barely did them before I hurt my knee and definitely never did them after, so my PR was always something like 90kg for a single. Pretty fun to suddenly make a 20kg jump over that out of nowhere. The 2nd rep miiiiiight have gone below parallel, I am not sure, but the 1st one was clean.

Squat:
    20kg x5
    70x5
    110x5
    140x3
    150x3
    160x3
    140x11 Rep PR

I have no idea what happened with that last set. It was supposed to be 5 and out, but I figured I'd see if I could repeat the 10 rep set, and the easiest reps were actually maybe #'s 6-8 and it felt like I was lifting the empty bar. I had more in the tank after 11 actually, but since this was uncharted territory, I didn't want to destroy myself for tomorrow, and stopped after adding a rep over last time.

Feeling good so far, but the jury's still out on how I'll feel tomorrow.

Some days, you get the bear. Sounds like a great day!

Yes Sir, I'll take it.

I paid for it today though, and woke up completely drowning in DOMS. It cleared up over the course of the day, but the right hammie was very unhappy (left one okay though, for some weird reason). Went to the gym anyway to give it the schoolboy try and ended up doing okay. I suspect coach was easier on me though: anyone who trains 3 days in a row has a slightly easier 3rd day, usually, and he was pretty amused by how especially sore i was. I told him I squatted 140kg x 11 after he left yesterday and he just went, "Meh! Good for you. But why? Actually, never mind doesn't matter! Just lift now!"

Hang snatch
    40kgx3x2
    50x3
    60x3x2
    70x3
    75x3
    60x3

Snatch super high pulls:
    70kg x 3
    90x3x4

Coach saw me chatting with some new girls and yelled at me from across the room, "HEY! Stop bothering the pretty girls! Just leeeft!," did a high pull motion with his hands, and and walked away laughing at my embarrassment.

Front squat:
    70kg x5
    110x4
    130x3
    140x3 3RM PR

Hooray didn't die. I'll probably take tomorrow off though before Big Friday.

Cool things that happened today:
    Girl 2 PRed her squat with 52kg for a single at 53kg BW.

I talked to a guy who had mentioned nonchalantly in passing that his lifting is bothered by a bad ankle after a car accident. Well today, he elaborated. Turns out it wasn't a fender bender at all like I thought: this guy was in a head-on collision in the middle of the Mojave desert at night while both cars were doing about 80MPH, and both drivers were lying there in the freezing air unconscious until another driver came by. By some miracle, she was a nurse, and was able to extract him from the car and treat the bleeding and what turned out to be a broken femur, tibia, fibula, and dislocated ankle until EMS arrived an hour later.

He said, in between deadlift sets, "I've had twelve surgeries. Three week hospital stay and then two years relearning how to walk. I'm scheduled for two more surgeries. But I'm mostly back to my previous strength and PR'ed some lifts too. It's fine." This is Brian Broke Legs level shit.

We're all pussies, guys.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by stuffedsuperdud View Post
    He said, in between deadlift sets, "I've had twelve surgeries. Three week hospital stay and then two years relearning how to walk. I'm scheduled for two more surgeries. But I'm mostly back to my previous strength and PR'ed some lifts too. It's fine." This is Brian Broke Legs level shit.

We're all pussies, guys.
    Badass.

Yeah, you're sore. Lol.

As your coach would say...Don't be a pooosey.