starting strength gym
Page 77 of 187 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987127177 ... LastLast

Thread: Stuffed Superdud: Bumpy road to respectable lifting

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by stuffedsuperdud View Post
    *There was one glorious meeting once during my first year in the PhD program that had for breakfast bacon, eggs, bacon, bratwurst, pancakes, waffles, biscuits, oatmeal, fruit, and, out of nowhere, grits, much to the delight of the one person in the entire conference who hailed from Tennessee. According to her, the only taste of home she couldn't find was the molasses for the biscuits. "Wait you've never had molasses?!? Wow...." But that day was the exception to the rule.
    That man's bullshit symposiums will never lack for students.

Easy so far!........heh ask me again on Friday.....

Today I had:
    3-scoop shake in black coffee x2
    About lb of the rib meat from yesterday. Let it gently reduce further overnight and it became even more tender and flavorful today....I'm a culinary genius, obviously.
    Carls Jr (Hardees for some of you) 1/2lb bacon mile-highburger, no bun + two French fries...couldn't resist...sorry

No veggies for the next few days, perhaps, but that's temporary; I like veggies.

I was held up by a meeting and got to the gym late, so coach had already left. I did:
    Squat:
    20kg x10
    70x5
    120x5
    150x5x2
    160x5
    This was the most squat tonnage I've done since getting back into it a month ago. Pretty easy....I guess the technical term is "@RPE=7"? But I stopped there in case my legs weren't accustomed; don't want to be destroyed tomorrow. Now that coach and I have sort of settled in a pattern where he watches us MWF and we do whatever we want on TTh, I might do a quick LP-ish thing on my free days. Recall I was doing 165kg for 5x5 last October. I think I'm conditioned enough now that I can run that alongside coach's orders. But the diet is a factor too all of a sudden....will proceed carefully.

Cannot believe it took till now for me to see this. I am...kinda blown away.

Rumor has it they're making another Power Rangers movie?? If so, I hope they play it completely serious for us 90's babies, and toss in some R-rated commentary on the darkness of human nature, the absurdities of power-hunger, the use of teenagers in warfare, the consequences of arming certain people with great powers, etc. etc.
    Last edited by stuffedsuperdud; 07-20-2015 at 10:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldman View Post
    I have to have something, or else I look like an asshole
    I still don't really know how respond to, "Oh come on, man, it's just a cookie!" without sounding like a jerk
    you americans are too polite. I generally take the asshole approach and eat nothing. I just sit there with steepled fingers watching.

Quote Originally Posted by RugbySmartarse View Post
    you americans are too polite. I generally take the asshole approach and eat nothing. I just sit there with steepled fingers watching.
    I am the same. At my office there is a long standing tradition for buying cake when it is your birthday. I have yet to have a slice of anyones. I even bought one when it was my own birthday - but had none. Noone even mentions it anymore.

"Oh come on, man, it's just a cookie!" is about other people feeling better about eating crap, if you do, too. Just because they choose to look, perform and feel like shit, I have to as well? Fuck that shit.

Also 160x5 for an easy 5 is pretty good. I think that getting some volume in might aid your fat loss project for a while. I personally found that I can do whatever I want with diet and still perform just fine as long as BF% is above 15. At least physically - my mind sometimes rebels...

I couldn't train today because of an unfortunate emergency in which I had to help a jilted friend of mine move out of the place she once shared with her philandering husband, who has since run off with his bimbo assistant. These two were on the surface the cutest couple ever; makes me hate humanity, I guess.

Anyhoo, I got lots of conditioning in though, in that she's weak and shit and not helpful, so I was walking/running back and forth between the parking lot, the garage, lots of stairs, and the old apartment while carrying heavy loads, and then repeated the process at the new apartment. I ended up with a training partner for the day, her co-worker, a 5'4" 180lb hunk of rugby/softball player who was also there to help. Kinda fun.

Food-wise, I had:
    3-scoop shake with black coffee for breakfast
    Was supposed to eat a 2nd shake and then train, but a buddy of mine had his date cancel on him and wanted meat, so we hit up a Korean BBQ place where I had an ass-ton of beef, pork, and chicken. I thiiiiiink they snuck some carbs up on me via the marinades, but I doubt was more than a few grams. This was more a film than a big blob. I might have crossed 30g, but definitely not by much.

BTW:
    For those of you not in the know, Korean BBQ is where you sit in front of a grill on the table, and they bring you your red meat raw, some with a Korean-style marinade. There are also some pickled sides. Popular items are sirloin marinaded with some cocktail of soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil, etc. but I usually just get the endless sirloin steaks and the garlicky items.

Looks like this:

These places are always all-you-can-eat, for about $20/person, and you can find a meathead at almost every table.

I actually didn't used to be a fan because the process usually goes like this:
    1. Everyone shows up in a huge group hungry.

2. The first round takes forever to cook because the grill is cold.

3. When it's finally ready, everyone gets about three bites before the food runs out and we're back to waiting for Round 2.

4. As the food runs out you start doing meat-math, where you look around the table going, "Hrm...there's one bite left....I've had three pieces, Jenn only had two, but one was a big piece...Trevor also only had two, but now he's chatting...maybe I'll take that last piece myself...." and then right when you want to, Round 2 comes and someone dumps the pile of raw meat on top of the cooked piece.

5. As soon as the 1st person gets full, the wind goes out of everyone's sails and folks are much less enthusiastic about asking for more meat. Everyone gets up and leaves shortly after, leaving you starving.

6. Since you are indoors with about 50 grills going, you'll never get the smell out of your clothes.

However, I realized that my buddy and I are great together at this. We're both huge meat-lovers, and with two people per grill, the meat doesn't run out. We ask for a second set of cooking tools so that grill duty is shared, and ta da, gainzzzz.

In fact, we're regulars at this particular place and the staff knows that we don't leave until the place loses money, so they try little tricks like discreetly lowering the heat on the gas grill and taking their time with bringing us the next wave of meat. Do we take a sick pride in this? Yes.

In fact, we're regulars at this particular place and the staff knows that we don't leave until the place loses money, so they try little tricks like discreetly lowering the heat on the gas grill and taking their time with bringing us the next wave of meat. Do we take a sick pride in this? Yes.
    Reminds me of the Brazilian steakhouses that always have the best salad bars and I'm the guy sitting there with an empty plate waiting for everyone else at the table to finish their salads so the waiters will start bringing the meat. Then about halfway through, the waitstaff start loading the table with fried bananas, rice, beans, and mashed potatoes(?!) even though all of these things are available on the salad bar.

Quote Originally Posted by RugbySmartarse View Post
    I think you might be right. I can definitely take your approach with the sweets and hors d'oerves type stuff at work, though, which is something....

Quote Originally Posted by DV View Post
    I am the same. At my office there is a long standing tradition for buying cake when it is your birthday. I have yet to have a slice of anyones. I even bought one when it was my own birthday - but had none. Noone even mentions it anymore.

"Oh come on, man, it's just a cookie!" is about other people feeling better about eating crap, if you do, too. Just because they choose to look, perform and feel like shit, I have to as well? Fuck that shit.

Also 160x5 for an easy 5 is pretty good. I think that getting some volume in might aid your fat loss project for a while. I personally found that I can do whatever I want with diet and still perform just fine as long as BF% is above 15. At least physically - my mind sometimes rebels...
    We have these birthdays, too. They're always awkward, with people bringing potluck dishes, and then sitting around mostly in silence or, best case scenario, that sort of on-again, off-again conversation, punctuated by silence. I generally take my birthday off, and even another day, if I have to, just to avoid the office "party." As it approaches each year, that becomes the joke: Oldman's birthday is coming up, so the rest of us will celebrate when he takes the day off!

BTW Korean BBQ is awesome. We only have a couple of options where I live, so I generally have to wait until I get to a conference out west.

Quote Originally Posted by jwagner View Post
    Reminds me of the Brazilian steakhouses that always have the best salad bars and I'm the guy sitting there with an empty plate waiting for everyone else at the table to finish their salads so the waiters will start bringing the meat. Then about halfway through, the waitstaff start loading the table with fried bananas, rice, beans, and mashed potatoes(?!) even though all of these things are available on the salad bar.
    Oh yea. The one I go to has an equally sweet salad bar, but the staff doesn't wait; they just ambush you with picanha as soon as you sit down. The salad bar is a trap, remember. You want juuuust enough to cleanse your palate, which for me means a few slivers of lettuce and tomato. There's also a big-ass pile of cocktail shrimp and smoked salmon, which I (ab)use to get my $$$'s worth. But don't touch the rice, beans, or potatoes. That is strictly their primary defense against your carnivorous tendencies.

Welp looks like today's when the shit came home to roost. My head was a bit foggy all day, sure, but I went to the gym feeling okay, certainly not hungry or sleepy, and nothing ached for once. However, I started warming up with the bar and things just....felt...slooooow. It was super stuffy in the gym and humid and nasty outside, which didn't help. I did:

Snatch:
    40x3
    50x3
    60x3x2 (missed one)
    70x3x2 (missed one)
    80x0x2
    "First one no pull!! Second one, maybe a little pull!"
    75x3 (missed two)
    65x3

Pause squat:
    60kgx5
    70x5
    80x5
    90x5

That's it. Coach's orders: "Go get two beers and one woman! Well, the woman part only if you have AC!"

Bleh...sorry for the shitshow, folks....It's added incentive to be extra disciplined and push through this bullshit phase, right? I'm also wired off my ass on a bunch of Chaos and Pain products, which seems to help, but not enough, obviously.

Weight: 229lbs
    I ate (probably not enough):
    3-scoop shake x1
    1lb grilled beef + 1lb grilled chicken
    assload of cabbage

I realized I hadn't been a good data-collector and was missing my weight measurements, probably the 2nd most fundamental # after bodyfat. I was surprised it was that high, esp. since I've been pissing like a racehorse yesterday and today. Guess I did more damage than I thought these past several weeks..... Welp, the higher I start the more dramatic the recomp, right? Bleh.
    Last edited by stuffedsuperdud; 07-22-2015 at 10:41 PM.

Hey why get better when you can get even worse, right?

Snatch push pres:
    40kgx3
    50x3
    60x3
    70x3
    80x3

Squat:
    50kgx5
    100x5
    140x4
    I hit a wall here. 160x5 easy the other day, 140x5 impossible today??? Great.

Weight: 230 LOL all this bullshit and I am actually heavier??
    Food:
    3-scoop protein shake x2
    1lb hamburger meat (this came with a few mls of gravy that probably introduced carbs, but I'm not going to sweat it............that much)
    assload of cabbage
    5 links of Italian sausage
    1lb broccoli
    about a river's worth of diet coke

starting strength coach development program
    Belated congrats on the 115 PR!

I know the low carb is and will suck but you are in a good place to ride it out.