starting strength gym
Page 86 of 187 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896136186 ... LastLast

Thread: Stuffed Superdud: Bumpy road to respectable lifting

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Good work, my man! It was especially amusing about the red-light exchange on your opener. And I've yet to be to a crossfit gym that didn't smell like that.

Quote Originally Posted by stuffedsuperdud View Post
    Heh. CG was like, "But Dupree is an asshole! And you're...oh, right I guess it IS like that movie." This chick is a Dunning-Kruger Type A trip, and that's when she's not in bridezilla mode. The other day, she actually volunteered to write my best man toast for me so that there aren't any variables in this thing she's been planning since she was nine. Am I going to roast them? Oh yea, you bet your ass.

Okay let's see, lots of catchup logging:

Thursday:
    Didn't train, on coach's orders. Marathoned the original Star Wars trilogy with CG, who had never seen any of the movies but wanted to get caught up for the new one. More on this later.

Friday:
    Snatch:
    40kgx3
    50x3
    60x2
    68x1x6

Power clean + jerk:
    60x3
    70x2
    80x1x6

Squat:
    120kg x2x4

That's it.

Coach talked a new girl into trying snatch/CJ. She's built exactly like Lidia Valentin, i.e. thick, shortish legs and jacked shoulders, and took to it right away despite never having done any sort of barbell training before. After she left, coach was like, "Heh heh hey you're looking for a woman, right? You should talk to her! She seems like nice girl, so who knows! Maybe she thinks you're nice too?!?!? OKAY SEE YOU TOMORROW. DON'T BUM ME OUT!"

Saturday: finally justifying my place in this part of the forum

My session didn't start till like 7PM, but I got there around 4 to get settled and weigh in. It was hot and humid as balls all day, and twice as bad inside the venue. Reference: I brought with me a gallon of water with about 10 scoops of Amino Energy in it, finished the whole thing over the course of my time there (4PM-10PM), and did not pee once. Not ideal lifting conditions.

Twas a CF gym with mostly CF lifters, so of course I was the only one not tatted all over, and the place was crawling with sweaty girlfriends in lululemon yoga pants and every form of flipflop imaginable. Birkenstocks are back, apparently. Eww. I was the only one from my gym to lift, but a few others showed up for fun, and yes, we wore dorky matching t-shirts that coach drew up and had printed at the shop next to the gym. Good times.

I weighed in at 100kg, but the meet was casual about folks not having to make weight, and 85kg and up were all in one ubersession anyway; my bumping up threw off the announcer during introductions though, which was kind of funny. My listed openers were a conservative 80/100

Warmup:
    Warmup area smelled like a giant fetid asshole. It's fine. I noticed that I was by far the luckiest person there in that I had with me a professional coach with 40+ years in the iron game and experience coaching at the national/international level, while everyone else had only their CF box's weightlifting guru. Almost all of them did not have any sense of timing their warmups, rushed through the routine, and then got cold in the 10-15 minute between their last rep and their opener. Others came out gassed, and missed their openers due to simple fatigue. Lucky me though, coach was in his ZONE, and timed everything just right, so that I was lifting at the exact same pace as the competition, i.e. when the platform lifter did 70kg, I did the same, only in the warmup area, and for both snatch and CJ, as soon as I caught my breath after the last warmup, the announcer called me for my opener. The adrenaline rush was in full swing, and FELT GREAT. Related: I am a poor athlete in general but one thing I do manage to get right is to channel adrenaline into a slight performance boost. This was no exception.

I did:
    Snatch:
    Warmup
    bar x billions
    40kgx3
    50x3
    60x2
    70x2
    80x1
    "How did 80 feel?"
    "Pretty easy."
    "Okay I bump you to 85. DO NOT FUCK WITH ME!"

Attempt 1:
    85kg x1 easy.

Attempt 2:
    90kg x1 had to take a step forward. 2-1 in favor. Middle judge redlighted me for pressout

Attempt 3:
    95kg x1 had to sit at the bottom for a second to stabilize the weight, then stood up easily.

All were comp PRs. 95 ties my lifetime PR.

WHEW. Coach sent me outside to chillax at this point. The strongest snatch was a -105 guy who did like 125kg.

CJ:
    Warmup:
    40kg 3+3
    60kg 3+2
    75kg 2+1
    90kg 1+1
    Had a bit of difficulty shifting the front rack for the jerk. Coach was like "!!!!!! NO! Do not do that on stage! This is some stupid. fucking. shit. You mess up the hands and then you miss the jerk and then I gonna fucking kill you.
    100kg 1+1 got it clean. "Okay I bump you up to 105."

As I sat on the on-deck area he yelled at me loud enough for everyone to hear: "Okay don't fuck up. Just don't be fucking stupid and boom you gonna hit that jerk! You listening to me? Don't be stupid!"

Attempt 1:
    105kg x1 Got it easy but center judge redlighted me for a pressout that no one saw. I got the lift 2-1, he got a stink eye from me, I got a wry smile back from him.

Attempt 2:
    110kg x1 No doubt about this one.

Attempt 3:
    116kg x0 Lifetime PR attempt by 1kg. I could feel myself getting lightheaded after the clean and rushed the jerk a bit. Redlighted 2-1 against for a pressout. I wasn't too upset since I knew it wasn't a totally clean lift, but it was kind of annoying that they were passing other even more blatant pressouts.

The guy who snatched 120-ish CJed like 150 for the biggest total of the day. Lots of folks bombed out on CJ for some reason, and a few passed out too. Not their day, I guess.

TL;DR 5/6 205kg total, beat my previous total by nearly 40kg. I'll take it, I guess, esp. given the inconsistent prep and the stress leading up to this.

On the way out, coach was like, "Hey thank you for giving me a good competition! But on Monday we gonna start a new cycle. We need more strength! [winking at you, Rip]. You gonna give me squat, snatch press, and overhead squat until you die. You gonna hate me!"

Oh, and remember how local meets used to be full of CF douchebags talking big and lifting badly? Fun's over, guys. Even the worst lifters had reasonable strength/technique (and therefore, perhaps, reasonable coaching, exciting given that the coaching corps is the most important long-term parameter for a country's international success), #s are going up across the board, and everyone has a pretty good respect/appreciation for what good lifting is, e.g. you don't have guys with "Your workout is my warmup!" shirts opening at 60kg anymore, and folks know that at 105kg, there are guys totaling 420, so if you're at 200, just STFU and keep lifting.

Hold on to your asses, Russia. It's probably safe to say the American comeback is no flash in a pan.
    Awesome sauce. Stoked for your PRs bro.

Also birks are fantastic foot wear. I used to rock (slippers bra...may have spent too much time in Hawaii) flip flops all the time until i realized a decent arch helped with my knee pain. I hated birks, but once I got used to the hard arch my knees/feet love me.
    Last edited by idlehands; 09-14-2015 at 08:03 AM.

Good job on competition...
    ....your coach is hilarious... I'm sorry for what is forthcoming in the training/program he has planned for you...verbal berating both in intensity and volume will be at aa all time high I'm sure.

Good job on competition...
    ....your coach is hilarious... I'm sorry for what is forthcoming in the training/program he has planned for you...verbal berating both in intensity and volume will be at aa all time high I'm sure.

Nice work!

Great job at your meet SSD! That's fucking hilarious about Coach yelling don't be stupid for everyone to hear! Lololol!

Good job, Dud! Now comes the time to impress that new thick girl with your unbelievably linear run of strength gainzZz and start 'laying the ground work' for the 2036 Wichita Falls Summer Olympics.

Thanks guys. Unfortunately, our volunteer camerawoman screwed up and didn't take videos, but there might be pics. Coach is checking with her now.

But now fun's over; back to work....

Sunday:
    CG was like, "Come over. I have something for us to do." I thought we were going to eat pie or something, but when I get there she's standing outside her building dressed in a ridiculous shirt, baggy shorts ("These are my mom-shorts! I got them in Paris! It's all the rage there. Shut up.") and ridiculous turquoise plastic sandals her dad had sent her from Europe. The latest beach fashion, circa 1920. Next to her were two shiny new fixies.

"Look what I got my hands on! Okay let's go!"
    "Uh...bikes?"
    "Yes bikes. What, you don't know how to ride one?"
    "I last rode a bike on my last day of college. That was several years ago."
    "Okay good. You never forget. Let's go."

I had to take a few wobbly laps around the parking lot and crashed into the side of her building a few times and into my car once, but I sort of remembered how to operate the unnatural contraption. We ended up cruising the length of the beach for a few hours, her riding and me swerving uncontrollably and running over several rollerbladers and children, before finally her legs petered out on her and she mercifully ended the adventure. My entire upper body was cramped and drenched in cold sweat. Good times!

"See? I make your life more exciting."

In a Garden State sort of way, sure.

In a moderately amusing twist, CG got into a hilarious squabble with the rest of her gaming guild when it turns out the whole group was a bunch of Vietnamese guys, and they had assumed she was one too. Well, when they all found out the truth, one of them started a motion to vote her out.

Back to real training:
    Monday:
    My traps were roasted. Fortunately, coach was merciful. "Okay the adrenaline is gone. You gonna feel the results of the competition for sure!"

I did:
    Snatch balance:
    20kg x many
    40x3x2
    50x3x2
    60x3
    70x0,1 Snatch balance PR, I think
    Lost the first attempt behind, but stayed calm and got the second one. Gonna be doing A LOT of these this month,

Clean pulls:
    60kgx4
    100x4
    120x4x4

Slow-mo pause squat:
    130kgx5x3
    Giving myself a slight reset, and then it's time to do my fahves all the way back to hopefully 165x5x5

I asked coach if there was a place in a training cycle to just do strength work, and he said that back in his day, most competitions were fall to spring (like now, I guess, actually), so summer was a big strength block. "We do not stop doing the lifts though! Every day, we still go to 70% before starting any strength work!"
    Last edited by stuffedsuperdud; 09-14-2015 at 11:24 PM.

Hello,

well, that was an impressive performance, and the results of the meet were not bad either. Heartfelt and envious congratulations, doubly so once you consider the less than ideal circumstances that peppered your run-up to the meet.

I take the occasion to reiterate my plea about videos, especially for your clean. In quite a few occasions you have mentioned how your coach got roiled by your hip movement, until you finally fixed it.
    I would be really interested to see how you do that, and what kind of angle/timing you employ after the bar goes above the knee.

Once again, well done on your PRs. Here's to the next meet and to new records.

IPB

starting strength coach development program
    Hey! I did it! My snatches were lost into the ether but there's a blurry video of my 3 CJs. I'll see if I can clean it up and post it today. For now:

Wednesday training:

Snatch balance:
    40kgx3x2
    50x3x2
    60x3x2
    70x3 3RM PR
    80x0x2 Blergh! Shoved the first one too far behind me and lost it backwards, and was too slow getting under the second one and it crashed down in front.
    75x3 PR

Snatch high pulls:
    60kgx4
    90x4,4,3,3

Squat:
    140kg x5x3 easy. Knee feeling almost good as new, for the first time in two years. Will I finally finally finally catch up to idlehands??!