starting strength gym
Page 87 of 187 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997137 ... LastLast

Thread: Stuffed Superdud: Bumpy road to respectable lifting

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    On Star Wars
    Recall CG had never seen any of the Star Wars movies and wanted to get caught up for the new one, so we saw IV, V, VI, and then I, II, III over the past few days. I myself have watched the original three about 50x each, starting when I was 11 and my buddy's mom got me that VHS release they put out leading up to the special edition, and the new three maybe 10x each, including in theaters when they came out, but never in HD, and I hadn't watched any of them since 2008 or so, so there was something for both of us to enjoy.

Our thoughts, in approximate chronological order:

Episode IV:
    Aboard Tantive IV
    CG: Wait who are the stormtroopers? I thought the storntroopers were good guys? Which one is Darth Vader? Is that James Earl Jones?!
    SSD: It seems the Imperial Stormtrooper Corps could learn a thing or two from your run of the mill suburban SWAT team about how to enter a room. Save yourselves some trouble and open with thermal detonators, guys.

On Tatooine
    CG: Where’s Han Solo? Is he in this one? What are jawas? Oh I get it, they’re mechanics and used car salesmen? Is George Lucas making fun of Armenians or something?
    SSD: Oooh, the droids are an Akira Kurasawa reference!

At the Lars homestead
    CG: Wow Mark Hamill was a terrible actor.
    SSD: Wow Mark Hamill was a terrible actor.

On Ben Kenobi
    CG: Finally, a real actor! Wait, that’s it? Luke just met this strange old man and he immediately says, ‘Come with me to Alderaan?’ Hello! Stranger danger!
    SSD: Wait…so Obi-Wan was there the whole time, knows Owen Lars, and not once said hi Luke I’m your dad’s old buddy come hang out and play some xbox?

Special Edition Jabba appearance at Mos Eisley
    CG: Uh…what is a Jabba and why is he surrounded by the Village People?
    SSD: This is a really dumb scene…ooh Boba Fett!

Destruction of Alderaan
    CG: They need better PR. ‘Death Star?’ Really? Shouldn’t it be a Freedom Star? Or Liberty Star? Death Star? And you’re blowing up random shit with it? Really guys? OH!!! So that’s where ‘I feel a great disturbance in the Force’ comes from!
    SSD: Luke gives Han shit for not believing in the Force even though he himself just found out about it earlier that day. Could e be any more of an annoying born-again?

Shenanigans on the Death Star
    SSD: So…you’re a few strangers running around on a planet-sized battle station and you think you have any chance of escape? Also, you KNOW they're going to try to double back and fly off on the Falcon, but you leave only six guys guarding it, all of whom abandon their posts to go watch the Fight of the Night? Never realized how campy this movie was…
    CG: I’m guessing George Lucas wanted to make a one-off adventure movie with a script he wrote as a kid and never figured it’d explode into a trillion dollar thing?
    SSD: Why don’t they find the tracking device or get Leia and R2 a new ship instead of leading the Death Star straight to Yavin?

Battle of Yavin IV
    CG: LOL these effects are so lame. Yes I know they were state of the art in 1977, but they’re still pretty lame.
    SSD: So George Lucas was a huge fan of WW2 dogfighting… and the movie Dambusters???
    CG: Wait why doesn’t the Death Star just fire twice, once to knock out the planet and then once more to kill the rebels? Ahaha so they fly down a crack to shoot proton torpedoes into the thermal exhaust port? So the whole movie comes down to an anal sex reference?

Awards ceremony
    CG: I like how Leia always has brand new clothes, hair, and makeup. Why are they having a party? Don’t they need to peace out before the Emperor comes for them?
    SSD: It just occurred to me...the whole movie takes place over the course of about three days. So Luke wakes up one morning a farmer, and then he's killing Imperial stormtroopers? Helluva day off.....

Overall
    CG: I don't really get the appeal...it's okay, I guess....Hey where are you going? We still have five left!
    SSD: I recognize how cheesy a lot of this movie is, but like everyone else born between 1970 and 1990 this thing has magical powers over me. I still got chills, nearly 20 years since I first saw it, when the music swells and the first flight of X-wings rolls into the Death Star trench to begin their bombing run.
    Last edited by stuffedsuperdud; 09-17-2015 at 02:46 PM.

my favorite is all the Robot Chicken Star Wars episodes. . . . shows the behind-the-scenes-day-to-day life of working on/in the Death Star, etc.
    shit is funny

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    shows the behind-the-scenes-day-to-day life of working on/in the Death Star, etc.
    Obligatory and relevant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv5iEK-IEzw

IPB

Quote Originally Posted by stuffedsuperdud View Post
    Thanks guys. Unfortunately, our volunteer camerawoman screwed up and didn't take videos, but there might be pics. Coach is checking with her now.

But now fun's over; back to work....

Sunday:
    CG was like, "Come over. I have something for us to do." I thought we were going to eat pie or something, but when I get there she's standing outside her building dressed in a ridiculous shirt, baggy shorts ("These are my mom-shorts! I got them in Paris! It's all the rage there. Shut up.") and ridiculous turquoise plastic sandals her dad had sent her from Europe. The latest beach fashion, circa 1920. Next to her were two shiny new fixies.

"Look what I got my hands on! Okay let's go!"
    "Uh...bikes?"
    "Yes bikes. What, you don't know how to ride one?"
    "I last rode a bike on my last day of college. That was several years ago."
    "Okay good. You never forget. Let's go."

I had to take a few wobbly laps around the parking lot and crashed into the side of her building a few times and into my car once, but I sort of remembered how to operate the unnatural contraption. We ended up cruising the length of the beach for a few hours, her riding and me swerving uncontrollably and running over several rollerbladers and children, before finally her legs petered out on her and she mercifully ended the adventure. My entire upper body was cramped and drenched in cold sweat. Good times!

"See? I make your life more exciting."

In a Garden State sort of way, sure.

In a moderately amusing twist, CG got into a hilarious squabble with the rest of her gaming guild when it turns out the whole group was a bunch of Vietnamese guys, and they had assumed she was one too. Well, when they all found out the truth, one of them started a motion to vote her out.

Back to real training:
    Monday:
    My traps were roasted. Fortunately, coach was merciful. "Okay the adrenaline is gone. You gonna feel the results of the competition for sure!"

I did:
    Snatch balance:
    20kg x many
    40x3x2
    50x3x2
    60x3
    70x0,1 Snatch balance PR, I think
    Lost the first attempt behind, but stayed calm and got the second one. Gonna be doing A LOT of these this month,

Clean pulls:
    60kgx4
    100x4
    120x4x4

Slow-mo pause squat:
    130kgx5x3
    Giving myself a slight reset, and then it's time to do my fahves all the way back to hopefully 165x5x5

I asked coach if there was a place in a training cycle to just do strength work, and he said that back in his day, most competitions were fall to spring (like now, I guess, actually), so summer was a big strength block. "We do not stop doing the lifts though! Every day, we still go to 70% before starting any strength work!"
    Biking is awesome. How did you have so much trouble? Sheesh.

And come on. Pictures and video. Totally dropped the ball!

Quote Originally Posted by idlehands View Post
    And come on. Pictures and video. Totally dropped the ball!

He's a faker. I bet he's really an arts graduate who is practicing his writing skills and getting free feedback from us.

C'mon SSD. Prove me wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Viola View Post
    I bet he's really an arts graduate who is practicing his writing skills and getting free feedback from us.
    His squats are probably high too.

IPB

Ahah you guys are assholes. Unfortunately the snatch footage was lost, but here are the CJ's at 105kg, 110, 116. I got redlighted on 116 2-1 against, but it looks okay from here. Whatever. As long as they don't screw me when I do 180, it's all good. Here you go, by popular demand. Let's hope it works. If not, just click the link.

http://vid.me/qGey

Meh. A wee bit of pressout maybe, but all in all, great lift! Congrats!

Still, what was she taking this video on? It's so... small.

Yeah, great lifting. I see the press-out too, as well as you can from 2kms away, of course. Your cleans are so easy, it's ridiculous. If you get the overhead stuff in check your lifts are going to skyrocket.

This vid makes you look like a -69 lifter, too.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by stuffedsuperdud View Post
    Given that this is the Internet and proficiency is not required to comment, I'll give you two comments that you totally didn't ask for.

Your arms look a bit slow in the jerk. You seem to settle first and then complete their extension and lock. It's like you didn't commit totally to dive under the bar, or got lazy in the very last bit of the movement. And this might contribute to the judges giving a press out on the third attempt.

More worrying for me is the little dip you do after the clean, to adjust your bar. I think that could be considered like an attempt at jerking, and therefore make the lift null. I've seen that done in a World Championship, it might have been Bartłomiej Bonk; he cleaned the bar, then dipped a couple of inches to readjust, and immediately the siren went off.
    On the other hand, your coach is clearly happy with that, and the judges too, so I am probably just showing my ignorance and talking out of my backside.

One last thing: those cleans look easy, you've got plenty more in the tank. Well done indeed.

IPB