starting strength gym
Page 88 of 187 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098138 ... LastLast

Thread: Stuffed Superdud: Bumpy road to respectable lifting

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    There's enough movement - instability if you will - in your jerk I can see where the problem lies. If you can see it on a video of that quality then it would be pretty clear in RL.

That being said I think you'll be on to 2 reds pretty soon - they looked like you have more to come. I also have to say that after reading your log I was expecting your lifts to be much rougher than they do - they are not bad at all.

Yah right now, upper body strength and positioning is my biggest issue. This is true for snatch, too. I spent too long believing that weightlifting was all lower body, but really, it's whole body, so my shoulders and upper back are constantly lagging. Working on it...

IPB: I think the shift between the clean and the jerk as I perform it is legal. Coach did specifically tell me to do, after all, it because when I make the adjustment when coming straight out of the clean, I don't always catch the weight symmetrically. I've also seen lifters make shifts in competition, usually if the clean was very heavy. I do know what you are talking about though, about lifters getting redlighted. Unfortunately I am not sure what the exact rule is at the moment. Will find out.

Friday training:
    Power clean + jerk 2+1
    40kgx1
    60x1
    70x1
    80x1x4

Snatch balance + OHS 2+1
    40kgx1x2
    50x1x2
    60x1x2
    70x big fat fail. the OHS probably wouldn't have been a problem, but I just couldn't get my snatch balance together, and was shoving it everywhere except directly over my CoM.

Girl 2 (who's really just Girl at this point since the other one followed the Cuban coach to a bigger place) put us all through an emotional rollercoaster. Her PR's were a 47kg CJ, 50kg clean, and 66kg squat.

Out of nowhere, she cleaned 50kg super easily, but missed the jerk twice. Twas devastating. She then loaded up 53 and groudn out an epic PR clean.

Coach took her to the squat rack, where she worked up to her 66kg PR squat for a easy single. Coach jumped her up to 70, but she didn't come out of the hole clean and had to abandon the lift halfway up. Coach thought she was done, but she was furious about missing it and insisted she get another crack at it. This time, she came out of the hole clean, but the bar speed went to zero when she was about 3/4 of the way up. Somehow she was able to not go back down, despite shaking her head and yelling "Nope nope nope nope nope," regrouped her will when everyone started yelling, and finished the rep. We all needed cold showers and cigarettes afterward.

Saturday training:
    Went to the gym first thing in the morning, no food or caffeine. Not ideal, but that's how the logistics worked out.

Snatch press + OHS 5+3
    40kgx1
    50x1
    60x1

Probably should have done more but my traps have already taken a beating this week and the owner wanted to kick us all out early so that he could renovate the platforms so I moved to squats:

Squat:
    60kgx5
    110x5
    142x5x3

I'm back on the recomp train, now that I've survived the meet. Yesterday I had:
    3-scoop shake + Amino Energy
    12oz steak + veggies

Today:
    3-scoop shake x2
    1.2lbs beef shawarma with garlic sauce and a blob of tahini
    lots of Amino Energy

Fun story:
    CG made me go to her place yesterday when she found out I had never seen E.T. (More on that later). Her mom was visiting, and CG mentioned that I lifted in a meet. I joked that she was more excited about it than my own mother, who considered stuff like this beneath me, and says things like "Why don't you golf? Gentlemen golf! Why did you go to school for so long if you are just going to simulate hard labor" in full seriousness.

Well, CG's mom asked if I recalled the time I went over to her uncle's palatial estate for Thanksgiving, and how one of the old guys and I had gotten to talking about lifting while waiting for everyone else to arrive. I said yes, and she said, "Oh, well, people were telling each other that our guest was a weightlifter, and no one could understand why, or how we even met you."

I went, "Huh? What do you mean?"

CG jumped in with, "Weightlifting, wrestling, bodybuilding, where we come from only poor kids do it. It's not considered gentlemanly, and lifting your own stuff is demeaning."

Mom goes, "Right right. Don't worry. Later on, when I find out, I tell all my family, 'Hey he knows CG from work. He is engineer.'"

I was amused/bemused, and went, "Uh...wait, what exactly did they think I was?"

CG was trying not to laugh now, and went, "My great-uncle assumed you were some sort of simpleton that I invited over out of pity, and by the end of the night, everyone thought something along those lines too."

"Wait but I talked to all these people-"

"Yea, super awkward.....don't worry. They didn't all thing you were retarded. My aunt's husband Albert thought you had Downs Syndrome, but some others thought you were the UPS guy, or, or...or my personal trainer!"

"I do look like I have Downs syndrome and I'm probably autistic. I can see that. And UPS guys are drowning in poontang. I can go with that too. But 'personal trainer'?! Well...well I never!"

The mom said, "Don't worry! I explained to them! I tell them all, it's your hobby, you enjoy it, and so on and so on."

CG added, "Still, my uncle Rupert, the guy you talked to, he used to lift, but no one else can understand why anyone would want to lift things for fun, especially someone is supposed to be smart. Okay okay let's go watch E.T.!"

Welcome to the 1%, everyone.
    Last edited by stuffedsuperdud; 09-19-2015 at 03:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stuffedsuperdud View Post
    1% indeed.

"Why would you want to pick up heavy things?"
    "...because you can't."

Quote Originally Posted by stuffedsuperdud View Post
    Yah right now, upper body strength and positioning is my biggest issue. This is true for snatch, too. I spent too long believing that weightlifting was all lower body, but really, it's whole body, so my shoulders and upper back are constantly lagging. Working on it...

IPB: I think the shift between the clean and the jerk as I perform it is legal. Coach did specifically tell me to do, after all, it because when I make the adjustment when coming straight out of the clean, I don't always catch the weight symmetrically. I've also seen lifters make shifts in competition, usually if the clean was very heavy. I do know what you are talking about though, about lifters getting redlighted. Unfortunately I am not sure what the exact rule is at the moment. Will find out.

Friday training:
    Power clean + jerk 2+1
    40kgx1
    60x1
    70x1
    80x1x4

Snatch balance + OHS 2+1
    40kgx1x2
    50x1x2
    60x1x2
    70x big fat fail. the OHS probably wouldn't have been a problem, but I just couldn't get my snatch balance together, and was shoving it everywhere except directly over my CoM.

Girl 2 (who's really just Girl at this point since the other one followed the Cuban coach to a bigger place) put us all through an emotional rollercoaster. Her PR's were a 47kg CJ, 50kg clean, and 66kg squat.

Out of nowhere, she cleaned 50kg super easily, but missed the jerk twice. Twas devastating. She then loaded up 53 and groudn out an epic PR clean.

Coach took her to the squat rack, where she worked up to her 66kg PR squat for a easy single. Coach jumped her up to 70, but she didn't come out of the hole clean and had to abandon the lift halfway up. Coach thought she was done, but she was furious about missing it and insisted she get another crack at it. This time, she came out of the hole clean, but the bar speed went to zero when she was about 3/4 of the way up. Somehow she was able to not go back down, despite shaking her head and yelling "Nope nope nope nope nope," regrouped her will when everyone started yelling, and finished the rep. We all needed cold showers and cigarettes afterward.

Saturday training:
    Went to the gym first thing in the morning, no food or caffeine. Not ideal, but that's how the logistics worked out.

Snatch press + OHS 5+3
    40kgx1
    50x1
    60x1

Probably should have done more but my traps have already taken a beating this week and the owner wanted to kick us all out early so that he could renovate the platforms so I moved to squats:

Squat:
    60kgx5
    110x5
    142x5x3

I'm back on the recomp train, now that I've survived the meet. Yesterday I had:
    3-scoop shake + Amino Energy
    12oz steak + veggies

Today:
    3-scoop shake x2
    1.2lbs beef shawarma with garlic sauce and a blob of tahini
    lots of Amino Energy

Fun story:
    CG made me go to her place yesterday when she found out I had never seen E.T. (More on that later). Her mom was visiting, and CG mentioned that I lifted in a meet. I joked that she was more excited about it than my own mother, who considered stuff like this beneath me, and says things like "Why don't you golf? Gentlemen golf! Why did you go to school for so long if you are just going to simulate hard labor" in full seriousness.

Well, CG's mom asked if I recalled the time I went over to her uncle's palatial estate for Thanksgiving, and how one of the old guys and I had gotten to talking about lifting while waiting for everyone else to arrive. I said yes, and she said, "Oh, well, people were telling each other that our guest was a weightlifter, and no one could understand why, or how we even met you."

I went, "Huh? What do you mean?"

CG jumped in with, "Weightlifting, wrestling, bodybuilding, where we come from only poor kids do it. It's not considered gentlemanly, and lifting your own stuff is demeaning."

Mom goes, "Right right. Don't worry. Later on, when I find out, I tell all my family, 'Hey he knows CG from work. He is engineer.'"

I was amused/bemused, and went, "Uh...wait, what exactly did they think I was?"

CG was trying not to laugh now, and went, "My great-uncle assumed you were some sort of simpleton that I invited over out of pity, and by the end of the night, everyone thought something along those lines too."

"Wait but I talked to all these people-"

"Yea, super awkward.....don't worry. They didn't all thing you were retarded. My aunt's husband Albert thought you had Downs Syndrome, but some others thought you were the UPS guy, or, or...or my personal trainer!"

"I do look like I have Downs syndrome and I'm probably autistic. I can see that. And UPS guys are drowning in poontang. I can go with that too. But 'personal trainer'?! Well...well I never!"

The mom said, "Don't worry! I explained to them! I tell them all, it's your hobby, you enjoy it, and so on and so on."

CG added, "Still, my uncle Rupert, the guy you talked to, he used to lift, but no one else can understand why anyone would want to lift things for fun, especially someone is supposed to be smart. Okay okay let's go watch E.T.!"

lifts looks fast in video. For sure more in the tank. cleans almost looked like power cleans. Well done.

That's a bizarre dinner party and full of some stereotyping.

I used to tell people I lift cause it keeps me together better when I crash at things I also like to to. Mtn biking/snowboarding etc. I would also argue that skiing tends to be even more upscale than golfing so there is that.
    You win on being judged a simpleton. When I used to travel a ton for work, and lift a ton, folks would assume I was not a software engineer, but actually CIA or something more nefarious, cause why would a nerd lift?

Heh. Lifts look fast because my jerk is so far behind my clean....working on it. As far as stereotyping, it works both ways: this family's main sport seems to be equestrian, so I was like, "Oh cool so you're all douchebags, I bet." I am sure they'd do sailing too if only their ancestral home hadn't been so far away from the coast. (Jokes aside, turns out they're okay.....for a bunch of rich douchebags.)

The other day I told some people, including my mom, that'd I might be out of reach for a few days because I'll be in DC interviewing with some eggheads from DoD's R&D side, and a few of them actually said something to the tune of, "They'll reject you when they see your traps." (Pro-tip: I am not even at all yoked by gym standards...as my pathetic mid-400s DL will attest.) My mom's exact words were, in full seriousness, "See? You'll pay for your stupid hobby now. They'll take one look at your overly-aggressive shoulders and decide that they don't want to put national security in the hands of a big dumb troll." THANKS MOM!
    Last edited by stuffedsuperdud; 09-22-2015 at 02:11 AM.

Mom smack. Ouch.

Good luck w/ your interviews SSD!

It would be interesting to see what your jerk failures (as opposed to the 'technical' failure at the meet) look like.

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    I need to hear back from this. I have many suspicions, being that I am in the DoD R&D field. So are some others around here. A couple of us look very much like meatheads. We don't live in DC, though. (i.e. Fuck DC)
    out of college i had a 500 deadlift , and was offered a job in DC for lockheed. .. wasn't R&D though. nor skunkworks. which was a bummer.

Hmmm, I'm DoD R&D too and I get way more respect from the men now that I'm meatier and they know I'm probably stronger than them. Maybe it's the new 'tude? Good luck, I hope you get it! Fed jobs are pretty sweet, except for those pesky shutdowns and furloughs.

starting strength coach development program
    I'll jump on the DoD R&D train and say that I've met more powerlifters in the field than I would imagine being in the general population. May not hold in DC though.