starting strength gym
Page 95 of 187 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105145 ... LastLast

Thread: Stuffed Superdud: Bumpy road to respectable lifting

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    LOL at all you meatheads being secret experts at fancy shoes.... Now all I need is for Meshuggah to roll in and go, "You can always separate a Real Man from the libtards by his Allen Edmonds...my Sons and I always buy Made in America by real Americans...I wear a pair of Daltons to work.....BHO didn't wear AEs at his inauguration what a Kenyan pussy......" and my life will be complete.

Diebolt: you didn't watch the video! The long and short is, they start with a last, which is just a chunk of wood carved in the shape of a foot. They convert that to 2D by covering it with masking tape and then peeling the tape off and rolling it flat. Next, they use the tape to trace the shapes onto leather, which are cut out, stitched together, and stretched back over the last. Soles, heels, and sometimes a thing called a welt are attached to complete the construction. After the leather takes shape, they pull the last out and ta da shoes. So yea, it's really just a matter of finding the right sole material and a hard enough heel and they're good to go.

The problem probably would simply be that these companies like to experiment, but are leery of straying beyond the world of upper-middle-class middle-aged men. Hence, golf shoes and loafers? Sure. But stuff for hobbies dominated by men in their 20's? Nah... I noticed that they DO have some sort of made-to-order program though where if a bunch of us all pre-ordered a custom design, they'll make it. FuriousE, want to email Paul? IIRC he makes his contact info public....let's see how far this rabbit hole goes....

Actually, it looks like lifters up until the 1960s all wore some sort of dress shoe or dress boot. Guess options were limited when there was no such thing as athletic shoes?

I'm not about to tell this guy he's doing it wrong. Are you?

Can we max out our hipster factor and throw in one of those stringy singlets with visible nipples? And start hosting meets to include the clean and press and the old weight classes? Ugh all roads lead to CrossFit.

Today I did:
    Jerks:
    40kgx3
    50x3
    60x3
    70x3x3
    Focused entirely on getting footwork right.

OHS:
    20kgx3
    40x3
    50x3
    60x3
    70x3
    The heavens cleared and my knees finally cooperated. All I had to do was cue the locked shoulders and the rest took care of itself.

Squat:
    70kgx5
    100x5
    130x5x3
    This felt a smidge heavy.....Blah road to 200 continues. Back to abusing fish oil and cissus...

Oooh haven't mentioned game night in a while. New favorite is definitely Istanbul (idlehands, you DO want to add this to your group's list). The board is a randomized grid of marketplace locations, each of which do different things. Your job is to move about the map, deploying assistants as needed, so that you can convert your wares to $ to jewels. Since I found this about two months ago, I haven't wanted to play anything else. Also, super amusing: to schlep your goods around, you need a wagon, which you can upgrade a few times at the wainwright's shop. Loved using wainwright in a sentence and not just to describe the 19th/20th century American naval family.
    Last edited by stuffedsuperdud; 02-11-2016 at 04:45 AM.

I've lifted in some of those old-style lifting shoes and they do the job pretty nicely. Never tried the narrow singlets though...

I'd love to try a new game, or really any of the old ones i have. The times I get to game are few and far between . At least when the girlfriend was around she was into any of the nerd games.
    Wife and her family were actually playing flux over the holidays. That is pretty nifty and quick and fun.

Training in a hurry
    Squat:
    70kgx5
    110x5
    135x5x3

Pretty easy. Whatever. Gonna go catch up on a bit of sleep cya

Spent most of last night searching for answers at the bottom of a bottle of Trader Joe's brand bourbon because life, so, yea..................was blacked out until well after the gym closed. Ended up going to a globo...lolwut...good god how do some of you guys do it? Time to lift and GTFO...

Press:
    45lbx5
    95x5
    115x5
    145x5,5,6

Did a bonus rep at the end. OHP strength inching back to where it was....

Squat:
    135kgx5
    225x5
    275x5
    315x5x3

8kg jump from last time because fuck it, 3-plates for globo gym demigod status. Dick-measuring aside, 135kg was actually pretty easy last time so no sense dawdling.

Out of the madness of LA Fitness was a pretty cool dude running a Smolov thing who gave me some of his chalk-paste stuff for OHP (no chalk allowed and I found that my neglected liquid-chalk had evaporated into a crusty pile of drywall). During the exchange, our hands brushed against each other, and he went, "Uh oh! Our calluses touched! Now we're gay gym buddies for life." Well okay then.

Now you know why people use Globo gyms!

Quote Originally Posted by stuffedsuperdud View Post
    Spent most of last night searching for answers at the bottom of a bottle of Trader Joe's brand bourbon because life, so, yea..................was blacked out until well after the gym closed. Ended up going to a globo...lolwut...good god how do some of you guys do it? Time to lift and GTFO...

Press:
    45lbx5
    95x5
    115x5
    145x5,5,6

Did a bonus rep at the end. OHP strength inching back to where it was....

Squat:
    135kgx5
    225x5
    275x5
    315x5x3

8kg jump from last time because fuck it, 3-plates for globo gym demigod status. Dick-measuring aside, 135kg was actually pretty easy last time so no sense dawdling.

Out of the madness of LA Fitness was a pretty cool dude running a Smolov thing who gave me some of his chalk-paste stuff for OHP (no chalk allowed and I found that my neglected liquid-chalk had evaporated into a crusty pile of drywall). During the exchange, our hands brushed against each other, and he went, "Uh oh! Our calluses touched! Now we're gay gym buddies for life." Well okay then.
    What is up with people in LA?
    Trader Joe's bourbon is made by the same place that does Buffalo Trace, but their cheaper version.
    Last edited by idlehands; 02-15-2016 at 11:48 AM.

Heh....yea sorry. It was just the first thing I saw and I didn't feel like splurging on something I wasn't going to appreciate much. To make amends, I found some Balvenie 12 at TJ's a few days ago and have been thoroughly enjoying it. It's one of the Speysiders, so a very fruity, creamy drink, as opposed to the peatbombs I normally lean towards. Pretty good.

Both knees acted up today: Left side had quadriceps tendinitis/osis/ patellar BS, right side had patellar tendonitis Blah.

Snatch:
    20kgx5
    40x3x2
    50xx3
    60x3
    70x3
    75x1 (missed 2)
    75x0x3
    70x0
    60x0
    60x1x3
    65x1

So yea fell off a cliff....The bar was cleanly sent overhead each time; I just couldn't steady it properly. Coach was like, "I am amazed! Amazed at how weak you get after just a few months break!"

Tried to do OHS, but the knee wouldn't allow for a controlled descent.

Snatch pulls:
    50kgx4
    70x4
    90x3x3

90 felt really heavy, much heavier than what I snatched in my 2nd attempt just a few months ago. Ugh.

Front squat:
    60kgx3
    90x3x2
    95x3
    At least this thing is moving in the right direction.

Remember how CG was annoyed with me last Monday for being slightly late getting to the airport? Hahahaha. I ended up receiving a week of passive-aggressive nonsense, ranging from her throwing food at me, ruining a shirt by using a giant bowl of soup in front of me for beer pong practice, shoving things into my ears and nose, and stopping by my workplace twice to throw me under the bus in front of my coworkers. I was doing fine parrying (for MBasic: no horses or yachts in my mom's Build A Gentleman Project thank goodness, but I used to be a fencer.....surprise.....) and letting things blow over. I could hear my doctoral advisor on my shoulder, yelling, "Always maintain the moral high ground! The moral high ground is the lynchpin of a successful battle, and a critical avenue of escape!"

Well, I was doing fine until Friday night when she and I met with her Spergy coworker to go see Hail Caesar. She had been huffy all day was taking potshots at me in the car on the way there, while Captain Sperger giggled obliviously. We were waiting in line for tickets when she took a few more digs at me. Dunno what came over me, and this is extremely out of character for both of us, really, but something in me snapped, the Valkyries rode in, and I let her (and everyone nearby) know I really felt about her behavior and her family of useless aristocrats. In typical shitbag fashion though, I couldn't even get that right, and closed with, "fuck you, I'm going home." Really? Who says that, right? I am reminded of one Pvt. David Kenyon Webster, who when wounded at Arnhem, reflexively groaned, "Ugh they got me," and then later complained of his "inadequate and unimaginative cliché."

The worst part was, she was the driver, so I had to take a fucking uber with the Friday night multiplier, and spent the entire drive listening to Richard discuss his failed career in the computer sales industry. Also, I didn't get to see the movie, and now have no one to see Deadpool with either. Also, now I am am absolutely in the shitter, hence the TJ's booze and such. Also, let's just say I had to take a gander over to the nearest Godiva to exchange what little $$ I have for a box of their wares, because recovery starts with overpriced chocolate. Actually, I don't remember ever being this stressed out over someone I am not even banging. Fucking hell.

In lighter news, Rachel FINALLY dragged Jack down to the Allen Edmonds store and they got him a nifty pair of brown monkstraps to replace his awful Stacy Adams square toed slip ons. I arrived just in time to stop him from trying to polish the damn things with bacon grease....WTF?

"This is just as good as mink oil, right?"
    "Well, yes, mink oil is just lard these days, I think, but you're not supposed to use that either."
    "Oh....what do I use then?"
    "The polish that you have right there."
    "Oh!...right. Ehhh it seems like a lot of work...you guys take this too seriously."
    Last edited by stuffedsuperdud; 02-16-2016 at 03:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by stuffedsuperdud View Post
    Also, let's just say I had to take a gander over to the nearest Godiva to exchange what little $$ I have for a box of their wares, because recovery starts with overpriced chocolate. Actually, I don't remember ever being this stressed out over someone I am not even banging. Fucking hell.
    Fuck. that. noise.

I enjoy your absurd misadventures as much as anyone but this person sounds absolutely horrible regardless of what you've previously posted about her redeeming qualities. I'd rather have no friends at all than someone who treated me like that.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by brkriete View Post
    Fuck. that. noise.

I enjoy your absurd misadventures as much as anyone but this person sounds absolutely horrible regardless of what you've previously posted about her redeeming qualities. I'd rather have no friends at all than someone who treated me like that.
    #bro Why are you not banging again? That's some crazy absurd stuff! I learned that even gentleman are allowed to go anal, from The Kingsman last night, even to princesses. You two should do that. Get that hate juices out!