starting strength gym
Page 62 of 187 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112162 ... LastLast

Thread: Stuffed Superdud: Bumpy road to respectable lifting

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Recovered from yesterday's fun, but woke up with an unhappy rotator cuff. This guy................ I was about 2 hours late, and coach was in a terrible mood* and wanted to go home, so I got about 45 seconds of rest between all sets lololol, guess we're doing CrossFit, bitches.

Snatch:
    40kgx3x2
    56x3x2
    These were all kind of sloppy. Coach called it a lack of aggression.
    64x3x2 I missed the 6th rep.
    75x3x2 Missed 1
    80x1 with 2 misses.
    Coach yelled at me a little. "The weight is not heavy! It is over your head. When the weight is over your head and you lose it, that is a mental failure. FIGHT for your rep!"
    80x3 nbd
    90x0,1
    95x0
    "No pull! Don't be a fucking pussy! BEEG pull!"
    95x1 PR sort of
    Elbows were a bit soft on the catch. In competition, it miiiiight have been redlighted.
    95x0
    I tried again to see if I couldn't get a good clean rep and missed when my right knee collapsed inward on me. Time to hit the bad-girl machine, I guess.

This is a pre-Olympic year, so every nation's bringing their A-games to international comps so as to secure Olympic spots (the ones on the actual Olympic year are usually a bit less competitive because the uberstars are in the middle of their pre-Olympic cycles). Well, EWCs are on now and today the 58kg ladies put on one hell of a show. So....I was pretty motivated to snatch 95, which would have put me in 2nd place in their group. Bulgarian/Azeri supergnome Boyanka Kostova put up a monster showing of 109/137, which will probably be high enough to win tomorrow's 63's, and I think it'll be many months before I catch her, so consolation prize it was.

Incidental: Not only are these girls stronger than me, but they are HOT too. Like, all of them. When did this happen?

Sarah Davies pls respond.

Squat:
    20kg x8
    70x5
    110x5
    140x3
    160x2
    170x5 haven't done 170x5 in some time. Harder than it deserved to be, but fortunately not hard-hard.

*Apparently, what had happened on Thursday, when Coach was MIA, was, USAW made an incredibly last-minute change for the schedule at Masters Nationals and moved Pan-Am Champ's session up by a few hours. They showed up for weigh-ins and found that the session had already ended, so she didn't get to lift, and only then did she notice the last-minute email from USAW, sent well after she had gone to bed the night before. WTF? "That's why I wasn't here Thursday afternoon! I was waaay too angry to coach weightlifting!!"
    Last edited by stuffedsuperdud; 04-13-2015 at 11:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stuffedsuperdud View Post
    so I got about 45 seconds of rest between all sets lololol, guess we're doing CrossFit, bitches.
    It's only crossfit if all the dudes had their shirts off and all the chicks had tramp stamps and sleeves.

Well, EWCs are on now and today the 58kg ladies put on one hell of a show. So....I was pretty motivated to snatch 95, which would have put me in 2nd place in their group. Bulgarian/Azeri supergnome Boyanka Kostova put up a monster showing of 109/137, which will probably be high enough to win tomorrow's 63's, and I think it'll be many months before I catch her, so consolation prize it was.
    I saw that. She lifted way more than anyone else.

Yep. BTW I took a look at the remaining start lists for Euros and noticed that probably more than half the competitors were born after 1990. Crap I feel old...at 29. 35-year-old Ferenc Gyurkovics and the unkillable 40-year-old Tom Goegebuer reliable as usual though and making me feel less sad.

So in my quest to catch up to 19-year-old 130lb girls, today I did:

clean + jerk 1+3
    40x1x5
    60x2
    70x1x2
    80x1x2

CJ
    90x1
    100x1
    110x0x2 Fuark. Pressed out the 1st jerk and completely blew the second one when my back foot slipped and the knee caved in. Glad I didn't do anything to the MCL.

OHS
    40kgx3
    50x3
    60x3
    70x3
    Bar feeling surprisingly light so far..............
    80x3
    "Okay do me 90 kilo. Give me three! Or at least two."
    90x2 2RM PR
    Lost the 3rd one in front on the recovery.
    "FUCK!! That was all in your head. I shouldn't have said 'at least two.' You quit on me! Hey, put the weights back on the rack, we gonna go again!" Heh...for a second I actually thought I was home free...
    90x3 3RM PR
    "Well there you go then!"

Kettlebell press:
    45lbx10x3

My shoulders are on fire.

Coach was like, "Hey, I think you're getting bigger!"
    "Oh yea? I'm actually losing a bit of weight.!"
    "Doesn't matter. You're gaining weight on your shoulders!"
    "Uh...does that mean I'm going to get girls now?"
    "NO! Girls will come when you give me 120/150. For now I not gonna let you near any girls. Otherwise you'll *snicker* be too busy f-f-fucking them instead of leeeeefting! You need to live like a, how you call it, a gladiator! Just train and be mad and hungry all day! Later, we get the girls."

Well okay then.

My shoulders are on fire.

Coach was like, "Hey, I think you're getting bigger!"
    "Oh yea? I'm actually losing a bit of weight.!"
    "Doesn't matter. You're gaining weight on your shoulders!"
    "Uh...does that mean I'm going to get girls now?"
    "NO! Girls will come when you give me 120/150. For now I not gonna let you near any girls. Otherwise you'll *snicker* be too busy f-f-fucking them instead of leeeeefting! You need to live like a, how you call it, a gladiator! Just train and be mad and hungry all day! Later, we get the girls."

Well okay then.
    We used to call it "living like a monk"... I guess now they call them "gladiators"...

I didn't train today but I am posting here with relevant information:

I missed training due to a horrible experiment. You guys ready for this shit?
    For Idlehands: we decided to try Settlers of Catan with both the seafarers and the cities and knights expansions AND with 6 players. Base game Settlers with 6 is already a slog, so you can imagine how this one went. Klaus Teuber did his darndest and clearly put a lot of effort into the 5-6 player expansions, but the game wasn't really meant to support this kind of load, especially with all the expansions, which meant a lot of new rules for people to learn. The damn thing dragged on for hours, with me in last place with 3 points and no resources for most of it. When the runaway leader realized he had plateaued with 8 points and would have great difficulty accumulating any more, we called it, and swore right then and there to never try that again.

By now our brains were fried and coach and the gym had long since closed, so we broke out a party game called Resistance. We figured it'd be a lightweight affair, but were very pleasantly, or unpleasantly, surprised. Everyone check this bad boy out.

It's Mafia/Werewolf on steroids, with much more room for deduction and deception. Be sure to use the plot cards. They're called a built-in expansion, but without them, the base game is extremely boring and easy for the enemy spies to win. The games were extremely thrilling, and, as a spy, can be veeeeery draining emotionally: I fell apart towards the end, when I was the only one not yet outed, made a critical mistake one step away from victory, and the whole jig was up. Much adrenaline was expended by all.

Attractive people playing:

Only catch: Playing a deduction / poker-face-reading party game can yield some veeeery unexpected outcomes when, aside from CG but definitely including me, everyone has limited social skills and several folks in the room have been diagnosed with some degree of Asperger syndrome (for those of you not in the know, SSD Game Night is just me, CG + a bunch of really whacky co-workers who for obvious reasons have nothing else to do after work). At one point, one of them, when wrongly accused of being a spy, had absolutely no ability to convince everyone he was innocent, and instead had a near panic attack, repeating nothing but "Huh?! Me?! No! NO NO NO! There has to be some sort of mistake! I am not a spy!" until they all left him alone. Later, towards the end of the game, as the innocents zeroed in on another one, this one an actual spy, the stress of the role became too much and he freaked out and had to close his eyes, cover his ears, and grit his teeth from the sensory overload. He nervously chuckled it off later, but it seemed like an actual medical emergency for a second.

Never a dull moment with these guys.

12 mile hike with CG and Klokov. Same park we went to two weeks ago, on this time, we took the longest way possible around Crystal Cove, sticking to the perimeter without ever cutting through the canyon itself. Basically strung several separate routes together in the process. Every time we neared a new trailhead, CG was like, "You can tell these people just got here because they smell good and look upbeat." Most of it was pretty strenuous, but we were rewarding during the last 1/4 or so with some fun Pacific Ocean views. Will take it. Later: Beer and grilling at CG's place!

Note: Klokov may be weak as shit (he did a PR squat of 40kg for 3x3 on Friday....) but he has always walked everywhere he went and had no problem keeping up on the hills.

Amusing: A herd of brand new, just tried the Kool-Aid-CrossFitters showed up at the trail head about a minute ahead of us in full regalia (workout lingerie tops for the ladies, official box logo t-shirts, beards and trendy undercuts for the gents, Virus compression shorts and brightly-colored Nikes for all) and plodded along 100m in front of us, jabbering loudly about WODs and the Games and such. CG was like, "Fucking A, we're gonna have to follow them this whole time?"

Well, we slowed down the pace to increase their lead and watched as they turned a corner. A few minutes later, we turned the same corner........

.....and there they were, selfie-stick fully erect*. Geezus fuck you're 0.15 miles into a 12 mile trip, guyzzz... Act like you've been here before, eh?

CG: "Ugh is this the same group??! Who's Fran? Their personal trainer or something?"

This repeated itself a few times, with them accordion-ing out with the fire-breathers in front and the chubby guy in the back, and then compressing back for a pic and instant-upload to Instagram every 0.1 miles or so, until CG decided, "Fuck this," and ran past them like her life depended on it. We gave chase and ended up sprinting up the hill in front of us, tasting blood all the way; this was the first of many ridiculously fun hill sprints. A few minutes later, from the next ridge, I could see that their slower folks were having a hard time with the climb, while the faster ones waited and took more pics at the hilltop. We managed to keep on adding to our lead from there. Thanks goodness for narcissism, right?

*I like it when someone uses a selfie stick because it lets me know right away that (s)he is a dickhead.**

**I understand that my disdain for selfies and social media might seem irrational, and indeed I cannot quite put my finger on it. I suspect it has something to do with how Twatter/Instaham is nothing but a venue for someone to scream, "LOOK AT ME" to the world without having done anything to deserve it? It used to be "fake it till you make it." Seems like that has degenerated to just "Fake it. People will believe you." Iono.
    Last edited by stuffedsuperdud; 04-18-2015 at 09:28 PM.

**I understand that my disdain for selfies and social media might seem irrational, and indeed I cannot quite put my finger on it. I suspect it has something to do with how Twatter/Instaham is nothing but a venue for someone to scream, "LOOK AT ME" to the world without having done anything to deserve it? It used to be "fake it till you make it." Seems like that has degenerated to just "Fake it. People will believe you." Iono.
    Which is why I pray daily that the sweet baby Jesus sends the zombies to save us. Please Lord, cull the herd!

starting strength coach development program
    CG:Who's Fran? Their personal trainer or something?"
    I hope this is an honest-to-God quote... because that's hilarious.