starting strength gym
Page 115 of 187 FirstFirst ... 1565105113114115116117125165 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,150 of 1870

Thread: Stuffed Superdud: Bumpy road to respectable lifting

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    As a tonic just watch Estuyukhina lift...

Quote Originally Posted by stuffedsuperdud View Post
    Mehhh...

I got bored last night and found a half empty bottle of Jim Beam left over from a cookout last week. (Our liquor cabinet is bullshit is full of things for making shots and pregaming). Ended up putting it all away myself while binging Vice Principals. Woke up with a nasty headache but thoroughly amused by Walton Goggins's (SoA, Justified) comedic skills. Recalled Starr's article on training after boozing but to my horror found I was out of coffee. Ended up chugging down about eight scoops of Amino Energy, brought six scoops more to the gym......and got there to find that they had to close at 12PM on the dot for a private event. I did:

Front squat with 2-second pause:
    20kg x10
    70x5
    80x5
    90x5
    and an assload of hip and elbow mobility before they kicked me out to go nurse my pounding head. At least Lagavulin is back in stock at the ABC store.....for $110, or double its price at Costco in California. Thanks Parks and Rec. But we have Bulleit which is fine too. Thanks Rip.

Remember I was watching Mad Men a few months ago? I had to stop after season 3 because it was getting to fucking depressing.......and now I'm back on and it's.......way more depressing. Goddammit. To the #menswear assholes who got all tingly in their pants over the characters' wardrobes, are you even watching the fucking show? How can you be thinking about suits when all life is completely meaningless and happiness is a chemical reaction to some flyer drawn up by an asshole on Madison Avenue? Fuck.
    Least you don't also watch Ray Donovan. This is why I watch rick and morty on repeat. It soothe my brain.

I think mad men ended decent. At least for don. Sort of.

...but thoroughly amused by Walton Goggins's (SoA, Justified) comedic skills.
    I think S1 of Justified was his absolute best. When he got "born again" and was running a revival commune/meth lab in the woods. So great. Also, don't forget about The Shield.

Season 1 of Justified was actually the only one I've seen. And I saw it weekly, when each episode came out; oh those were the good old days. TBH I don't remember a whole lot from it except how fucked up Boyd was. Will have to go back and watch. I see Vice Principals is catching some heat from critics, but as far as I care, it's pretty clever: individually, you have the second coming of Kenny Powders Powers Powdres and a Southern dandy Tarantino villain, but together, between Neal Gamby's bumbling sense of entitlement and Lee Russell's vicious mean streak, you...sort of have Trump's target demo? And of course their antagonist is a black woman who excels at her job? Kinda laying it on a bit thick, perhaps, but hey, AFAIK it hits its mark,albeit with an underslung grenade launcher.

Anyhoo, so I was wasted again Sunday morning and overslept, whoops. No world championship for me. Today I did:

Squat:
    20kg x10
    70x10
    110x10
    120x10
    130x10
    140x10 hooray

All the squats were surprisingly easy. I again did them with a slightly asymmetric foot position and again the left (bad) leg felt more engaged. Kind of regret doing the squats first; if they were at the end, I might have gotten a bit reckless with the 140s. If you can do 10 you can do 20, right? Next week is the last week of 10s...might do it then.

Press from split:
    20kgx10
    40x5
    50x5
    60x5
    70x5x2

I'm developing a drinking problem from watching Mad Men; they drink I drink, right? I talked to one of my co-workers and she said that the show reminded her a lot of engineering research in that we're supposed to be "creative" in how we solve problems, but most of the time we just sit there with our heads in our hands as our bodies and relationships crumble. The only difference is Don can seem it turn it around every time a meeting happens, whereas we're stuck standing in a dark room before a hostile audience as the error bars on the screen mock us.

Welp, brutally sore from the squats but here we go. At least the weather FINALLY took a turn for the better....here's hoping this cool air + low humidity will linger? RSA, I'm given to understand that DC's stickiness is comparable to Sydney's, with similar sartorial compromises. I've found that at the height of the summer, when outdoors, even unlined cotton-linen sportcoats are a health hazard between 10AM and maybe 8PM. The only thing that worked for me was a wool blazer made from such a lightweight material that you can recognize people through it if it's bright and you hold the fabric up to your eyes. Some folks have suggested that "fresco" wool can outperform even this, but I've never tried it myself. .........But mostly I just spent August either indoors or perspiring into a stretchy Uniqlo Airism undershirt. Sorry I don't have any better solutions for guys that work outside, such as yourself.Oh, I did read an article from a 1930s issue of Esquire that said something to the tune of, "Let's face it: there's no true summer suiting; sometimes all a man can do is sweat."

Oh hey it's the unofficial end of summer up here in the correct hemisphere so seersucker suits should be going on sale any day now.......................If I couldn't be a drug dealer, anyone think I can be a Southern dandy? I am on the wrong side of the Mason-Dixon, after all.....

Today:

Snatch 3rd pulls:
    5kg x5
    10x5
    15x5
    20x5
    25x5
    30x5

No-feet snatch:
    15kg x5*
    35x5x3
    45x5x3
    50x5x3

Coach adjusted my feet position (wider stance, less toe flare) and the bottom position immediately felt more stable. No-feet snatches were so that I can drill that position and hopefully have it take......but let's face it: the next time I do a real snatch, I'm going to go right back what I was doing before.

*It was a total sausage fest today and while I was doing those 3rd pull drills with the babybar, everyone else grabbed all the men's bars, so I had to use a 15kg women's bar. Fitting, I suppose. Pussies gonna pussy, right? Might as well cut down to -69kg so that Mattie can kick my ass on an absolute scale.

At least it's Friday ! Still waiting on my silver tray and decanter for my office. Buddy was gonna send one. Then I won't hide the bourbon in the drawer. Full mad men style. And yes I will make sure it's in frame on video chat.

Aha! That's awesome. Definitely a huge step up from me hiding things in the flammables cabinet behind the acetone jug. How's the rest of your life holding up?

Training:
    Pause front squat:
    20kgx10
    70x5
    80x5
    90x5
    100x5
    110x5

Push press:
    20kgx10
    40x10
    50x10x2
    60x10

Went in sore, came out even worse. It's fine.

Storytime:
    A box-based gym full of light barbells[affiliation redacted, see comment below] nearby likes to push the Prowler in the street. Not a parking lot or an alleyway but a legit two-lane 35MPH street. Granted, it's pretty quiet and most of the sparse traffic consists of people slowly entering and exiting a nearby parking structure. The [gym members, all practitioners of performance across the aerobic-anaerobic spectrum] also sort of stay in the bike lane, but it still seemed like asking for an assload of trouble. Well, about an hour ago during that dangerous time between the sun going down and the lights coming on, I saw the Prowler in my headlights, parked about three feet away from the curb, with nary a soul in sight. A few bearded man-bunners were in the lobby chatting and a few sweaty exercisers were outside walking to their cars, i.e. they had probably just finished a [workout of the day] and then forgot to pack the thing back inside. Well, right then another car came around the corner on their side and plowed right into the thing. There were plates loaded on it too, so it made a terrific bang and put up enough resistance to scare the driver and jack up his bumper and hood. The coaches inside came running out, barefoot and camo shorts, natch, while the driver got out and started screaming at them. I drove by a few minutes ago and some cop was with the driver writing up the incident while the coaches paced around with their heads in their hands.

Weirdest car accident ever. What do you even tell the insurance companies?

*Holy shit Gilchrest, CF STILL sues people? Why? Haven't they won? Better hide my nuts.
    Last edited by stuffedsuperdud; 09-02-2016 at 09:48 PM.

Aha! That's awesome. Definitely a huge step up from me hiding things in the flammables cabinet behind the acetone jug. How's the rest of your life holding up?

Training:
    Pause front squat:
    20kgx10
    70x5
    80x5
    90x5
    100x5
    110x5

Push press:
    20kgx10
    40x10
    50x10x2
    60x10

Went in sore, came out even worse. It's fine.

Storytime:
    A box-based gym full of light barbells[affiliation redacted, see comment below] nearby likes to push the Prowler in the street. Not a parking lot or an alleyway but a legit two-lane 35MPH street. Granted, it's pretty quiet and most of the sparse traffic consists of people slowly entering and exiting a nearby parking structure. The [gym members, all practitioners of performance across the aerobic-anaerobic spectrum] also sort of stay in the bike lane, but it still seemed like asking for an assload of trouble. Well, about an hour ago during that dangerous time between the sun going down and the lights coming on, I saw the Prowler in my headlights, parked about three feet away from the curb, with nary a soul in sight. A few bearded man-bunners were in the lobby chatting and a few sweaty exercisers were outside walking to their cars, i.e. they had probably just finished a [workout of the day] and then forgot to pack the thing back inside. Well, right then another car came around the corner on their side and plowed right into the thing. There were plates loaded on it too, so it made a terrific bang and put up enough resistance to scare the driver and jack up his bumper and hood. The coaches inside came running out, barefoot and camo shorts, natch, while the driver got out and started screaming at them. I drove by a few minutes ago and some cop was with the driver writing up the incident while the coaches paced around with their heads in their hands.

Weirdest car accident ever. What do you even tell the insurance companies?

*Holy shit Gilchrest, CF STILL sues people? Why? Haven't they won? Better hide my nuts.
    Every time I push the prowler on my street I glare at every car that drives by. If you catch their eyes and they hit you you know they are assholes.

Life is like this man. When all
    You have to deal with is absurd stress then you don't realize how stressed you are until
    You step away and do something fun. Which makes it seem like why bother cause the return to reality is worse. But I'm dumb so I keep banging my head on that wall. Gonna transmute it into squat/bench/dead prs so there is that!

What else am I going to do on the cool sunny Sunday morning since I've been here? Have postcoital brunch with a January Jones lookalike? Nah? It's sausage time in a dank room with no AC, brahs.

Power clean + clean 3+2
    50x1
    60x1
    70x1
    80x1
    85x1
    70x1

Snatch deadlift:
    70x8
    110x8
    120x8
    130x8
    135x8

Apparently it's the height of mosquito season here? I can't tell where the snatch abrasions stop and where the bugbites start. Currently rocking 24 welts, mostly on my calves but a few on my arms and one on my throat, which made the cleans especially dicey.

I'm starting to really hate Don Draper, and the vitriol in my gut grows every time I see him pretend to love his family. There's that heartbreaking scene in season 2 when at that country club function they ask him and all the other veterans to stand up and be recognized, and Sally can't stop clapping and smiling because her daddy's her fucking hero, and what does he do? Run out of the room to schedule a bootycall with some menopausal whore? Fuck that guy. Guys like him are why Jesus invented glioblastoma.

Can only say good things about Sal Romano though, shortcomings and all. And he's definitely tied with Roger for best dressed guy at the office, albeit in an apples vs oranges kind of way. Whereas Roger is all about technical perfection with his perfectly tailored (Hickey Freeman? Martin Greenfield?) 3-piece and double-breasted suits, Sal's all about blending complementing colors and patterns with mismatched jackets, pants, and vests, and ties, which is actually much harder to get right.

Don's not cool, guys. His suit and haircut are straight out of the 1950s, not 60s, and are boring as all get out. It's as if SPOILER even though everyone on Earth has already seen the show (mouse over) when he put on the Don Draper costume in 1952 or whatever, he went all the way with it but never figured out how to update the disguise with the times. /SPOILER Hell, even all his affairs are lame: a beatnik loser with a drug problem, an awkward tomboy whom he rebuffs even though out of all the women in his life she's by far the best, some burned out showbiz bimbo, and a sprinkling of secretaries. Really guys? You all want to be in his shoes? Get real and join Team Roger. Or Team Sal, I guess. Nothing wrong with that.
    Last edited by stuffedsuperdud; 09-04-2016 at 11:24 AM.

starting strength coach development program
    What else am I going to do on the cool sunny Sunday morning since I've been here? Have postcoital brunch with a January Jones lookalike? Nah? It's sausage time in a dank room with no AC, brahs.

Power clean + clean 3+2
    50x1
    60x1
    70x1
    80x1
    85x1
    70x1

Snatch deadlift:
    70x8
    110x8
    120x8
    130x8
    135x8

Apparently it's the height of mosquito season here? I can't tell where the snatch abrasions stop and where the bugbites start. Currently rocking 24 welts, mostly on my calves but a few on my arms and one on my throat, which made the cleans especially dicey.

I'm starting to really hate Don Draper, and the vitriol in my gut grows every time I see him pretend to love his family. There's that heartbreaking scene in season 2 when at that country club function they ask him and all the other veterans to stand up and be recognized, and Sally can't stop clapping and smiling because her daddy's her fucking hero, and what does he do? Run out of the room to schedule a bootycall with some menopausal whore? Fuck that guy. Guys like him are why Jesus invented glioblastoma.

Can only say good things about Sal Romano though, shortcomings and all. And he's definitely tied with Roger for best dressed guy at the office, albeit in an apples vs oranges kind of way. Whereas Roger is all about technical perfection with his perfectly tailored (Hickey Freeman? Martin Greenfield?) 3-piece and double-breasted suits, Sal's all about blending complementing colors and patterns with mismatched jackets, pants, and vests, and ties, which is actually much harder to get right.

Don's not cool, guys. His suit and haircut are straight out of the 1950s, not 60s, and are boring as all get out. It's as if SPOILER even though everyone on Earth has already seen the show (mouse over) when he put on the Don Draper costume in 1952 or whatever, he went all the way with it but never figured out how to update the disguise with the times. /SPOILER Hell, even all his affairs are lame: a beatnik loser with a drug problem, an awkward tomboy whom he rebuffs even though out of all the women in his life she's by far the best, some burned out showbiz bimbo, and a sprinkling of secretaries. Really guys? You all want to be in his shoes? Get real and join Team Roger. Or Team Sal, I guess. Nothing wrong with that.
    The Actor that plays roger is a surfer. I'd totally be him he's awesome. Don is brilliant at his job though.