starting strength gym
Page 158 of 187 FirstFirst ... 58108148156157158159160168 ... LastLast
Results 1,571 to 1,580 of 1870

Thread: Stuffed Superdud: Bumpy road to respectable lifting

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    MY kinda opinion on this (The Power Position) . . . if anyone cares.

. . .is yes, if one waits until the bar is very high on the thigh,
    and is to stay over the bar,
    you just simply pass through that "power position" on your way thru the complete motion.
    On your way to extension.

What I'm getting at to actively cue it could be a mistake for some folks;
    I don't really care for this method anymore: Snatch, Part 1, How To, Olympic Weightlifting - YouTube
    I probably lost years . . .fucking years . . . trying to do it/learn this way.
    I think this leads to getting behind (torso vertical) the bar to soon, way too much DKB action, and then humping the bar out into space.
    Maybe my long ass arms, and normal femur-to-torso length (not Oly-lifter archetype body) affects this cueing/method.

What I like is to get into my version of the power position,
    is to BARELY bend the knees and I mean fucking barely,
    and then tilt my torso forward to where I'm over the bar (not a vertical back),
    then "GO!" from there.

On maximal attempts, it doesn't quite look like this, might get closer to what I mentioned above/first.
    But the bar is staying much closer now. But still far from perfect.
    Last edited by MBasic; 08-11-2017 at 06:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    MY kinda opinion on this (The Power Position) . . . if anyone cares.

. . .is yes, if one waits until the bar is very high on the thigh,
    and is to stay over the bar,
    you just simply pass through that "power position" on your way thru the complete motion.
    On your way to extension.

What I'm getting at to actively cue it could be a mistake for some folks;
    I don't really care for this method anymore: Snatch, Part 1, How To, Olympic Weightlifting - YouTube
    I probably lost years . . .fucking years . . . trying to do it/learn this way.
    I think this leads to getting behind (torso vertical) the bar to soon, way too much DKB action, and then humping the bar out into space.
    Maybe my long ass arms, and normal femur-to-torso length (not Oly-lifter archetype body) affects this cueing/method.

What I like is to get into my version of the power position,
    is to BARELY bend the knees and I mean fucking barely,
    and then tilt my torso forward to where I'm over the bar (not a vertical back),
    then "GO!" from there.

On maximal attempts, it doesn't quite look like this, might get closer to what I mentioned above/first.
    But the bar is staying much closer now. But still far from perfect.
    I completely agree MBasic...that method is basically all I see crossfitters do at the gym. The bar is so light they can just muscle the bar where they need to, but they end up getting their knees forward too soon, shoulders behind the bar and contacting low as they hump forward. I found Torokhtiy's video's really useful in correcting some of the glaring issues I had. It's definitely helped me stay over the bar much longer which has lead to a much more explosive (for me) pull. I'm also a long arms, long femurs and short torso guy.

Sorry to hear about the meet SSD. Another training cycle and prep and you'll crush the next one!
    Last edited by Mr_Rogers; 08-11-2017 at 07:13 AM.

You people are making me want to find a nearby oly coach, which is a thing that keeps popping into my mind.

SSD, do you actually like this girl? Are you legitimately interested? If you are just say it. It'll be really hard, it'll feel great once it's out whether she kisses you or slaps you (actually indifference might sting, but it doesn't sound like you'll get that - she's either crushing pretty hard too, or you really are friendzoned and she'll just shoot you down), and you'll have both an idea of where you stand and a chance to move it forward if she's down. Do not do the shy look away shit either, you want her to see your eyes and you want to see her immediate reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by cgeorg View Post
    You people are making me want to find a nearby oly coach
    I would suggest to only do it if you are strong enough to get something meaningful out of it (unlike me); like, you are strong enough to snatch your BW (ditto). It's more fun if you can actually move some proper weight.

IPB

Quote Originally Posted by cgeorg View Post
    You people are making me want to find a nearby oly coach, which is a thing that keeps popping into my mind.
    Don't do it. Unless you like spending all your free time in a dank little room full of Type A weirdos in their mid-30s who for obvious reasons are single and childless.

Quote Originally Posted by IlPrincipeBrutto View Post
    I would suggest to only do it if you are strong enough to get something meaningful out of it (unlike me); like, you are strong enough to snatch your BW (ditto). It's more fun if you can actually move some proper weight.

IPB
    I finally broke the BW snatch barrier last year...and it hasn't gone far in making this a less miserable prison of a hobby.

RE: the technical stuff, I'm too lazy and probably too stupid to sort out the kinematics except that it makes sense to try to have the net force vector generated by your body to be aimed as vertically as possible so that you don't have do some F*sin(theta) nonsense from high school physics to determine the fraction that is actually available for doing net work against the barbell. I do find it helpful to warm up with a bunch of light lifts from the high hang to dial the movement in. As for cues, I tell myself "wait for it" when the bar passes my knees, and that along has been surprisingly effective in letting me hit a sweet power position.

Today:

Hang clean + front squat 4+1
    20kg x a lot, with muscle cleans
    40x1x2
    50x1
    60x1
    70x1
    80x1
    85x1x2

Elbow flexion noticeably improved, clean rack felt good.

Snatch:
    20kg x many
    40x4
    50x3
    60x3
    70x2
    80x1
    85x1
    88x1,1,0,0,0

Got cold after the 2nd one when someone started complaining to me about his hamstring and the timing was completely off. Got even colder after that 1st miss when someone asked about brunch. Made a half-hearted attempt to try to end with a make and it was the worst one yet. But the elbow continues to work so can't complain?

Quote Originally Posted by stuffedsuperdud View Post
    Don't do it. Unless you like spending all your free time in a dank little room full of Type A weirdos in their mid-30s who for obvious reasons are single and childless.
    I tick 2/3 of those boxes.

Have at it then, my man. Most people hate it after a few days and go back to squat/bench/deadlift. The rest are stuck shoving this fucking boulder up that fucking hill. If you're in the latter, God help you.

Today:
    Got to the gym relatively early, but took my sweet time working in and out with another guy, hence the odd ramp-up. I did:

Squat:
    20kg x10
    60x10
    70x5 paused
    80x3 paused
    100x10
    110x3 paused
    120x8
    130x5
    140x5
    150x8
    163x10 10RM PR because I owed you guys for that 162x9 nonsense last week.
    150x4....ugh. Wanted to do this backoff for 8-10 but the legs were not having it.

Was supposed to push press too but this took too long and we had to GTFO to make room for the next batch of lifters.

Hinterland season 3 is here! Easily the best show on (Welsh) TV, and definitely the most depressing cop shows I've come across in a long time. Like, I have to drink to get through each 90+ minute episode.

^Not exactly the pinnacle of mental health.

Plus DCI Mathias (foreground) is an absolute master of functional style. Lots of jeans with suede boots, OCBDs, wool ties, and Barbour jackets.

Random: supporting actress Hannah Daniel (right) is on this weird list: The Hot 50: Wales' sexiest women revealed (Wales on Sunday)

TL;DR If you ain't watchin', you're a fascist pig.

is this somekind of LSUS-esque program?
    10's then 5's then peaking whatever?

starting strength coach development program
    Yes it comes directly from the LSUS template. It varies with each cycle but generally it's:
    Week 1-3: 8-10 for slow lifts, 4-5 for quick lifts, usually from the hang or blocks
    Week 4-6: 5 for slow lifts, 3's for quick lifts, more from the floor
    Week 7-9: 3's for slow lifts, 1-3 for quick lifts, most from the floor
    Week 10-11: 1-2 for slow lifts, 1-2 for quick lifts, all from floor
    Week 12: taper / meet

Exact exercise selection is lifter specific: for me, since strength is clearly not the bottleneck, I do extra sn/cj's, whereas some people might spend the first six weeks of each cycle doing sn/cj once a week if that.

You can probably put this together from my log but for me, the actual exercises consist of:
    Snatch/CJ, from floor, hang, blocks, sometimes power but usually not
    Rack jerk
    Push press
    Snatch push press
    Snatch balance
    OHS
    Front/back squat
    Clean/snatch pulls and deadlifts

"optional" work (shows up on program but not as emphasized)
    Bench LOLWUT!
    Pullups
    Rows
    Box jumps
    Planks/situps/obliques
    Jerk assistance montage (jerk balance/jerk from split/press from split)

I've seen others do strict presses, RDLs, snatch/jerk recoveries, and dumbbell work but I haven't had that show up on my program.