starting strength gym
Page 169 of 187 FirstFirst ... 69119159167168169170171179 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,690 of 1870

Thread: Stuffed Superdud: Bumpy road to respectable lifting

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    So I decided Saturday night fuck it time to drink. Got a bottle of Laphroaig and my roommate and I went through the whole damn thing. We then went down the street to Old Town Alexandria and crashed a wedding by accident it's fine. That is to say we walked into a bar and found ourselves in the thick of it. We were wearing suits and blended in, one thing led to another, etc etc. But the jig was up when my roomie got waaaay to shitfaced and could no longer keep our story straight. And that's the long story of why on Sunday I was way too hung over to train.

Today, just to get the blood moving and keep the back pliable:
    Pause squats:
    20kg x many
    60x10
    100x10
    130x5
    140x9
    150x6

RDL:
    20x many
    60x10
    80x10

Deadlift:
    80x10
    100x10

My buddy is trying to talk me into buying a bottle of Lagavulin 16 (~$90). Thoughts?

You can probably find a better deal online but they'll nail you on the shipping so it might be a wash. Maybe start with Laphroaig or Ardbeg, which can be had for half that, and then if you like it, go full-retard with the Lagavulin.

Relevant: Tried to save money by avoiding the top shelf stuff and asking Ryan the bartender (Ryan is a girl with a boy's name "because my mom wanted a boy and my dad wanted an abortion") to just give me whatever they make mixed drinks with, so she pulled out a glass bottle from behind the bar with no label, just a piece of masking tape with "WHISKEY?" written on it in black Sharpie. So I had a bunch of those and am fucking hung over now.

Actual training:
    Pause squats:
    20kg x 10
    60x8
    100x6
    130x5
    150x7

RDL (warmup)
    60x10

Deadlift
    60x10
    80x10
    100x10
    110x10

Back still sore when I am not lifting, but as the light 10s go on it feels better...so....not great but better than Stage IV metastatic AIDS I guess.

Fuck yea:

Because Metal Gear Solid 3 (with the updated camera setup) is easily the best of the series, and probably one of the best video games of all time in general.

Haven't trained since Saturday the 18th. I was going to lift on Monday but then Lil L was like "Hey wanna get drinks?" My phone died and I ended up getting my mental map of Arlington mixed up and parked about a half mile away from where she was waiting and grumpy. Had to run the distance to her against a cold headwind; easily the most cardio I've done since I started lifting whoops. I was tasting copper all night; is this training?

The next day I started travelling, first to visit my obnoxious family, and then to the MRS meeting in Boston. (It just occurred to me....Savs is in Boston or something??!) I'm not a big fan of academic conferences and as a result was basically drunk or hung over for five days straight, including during my own presentation...ehh... I'm better at these things buzzed anyhow.

Got back today and went to the gym because DEDICATION. I told the coach about what happened as well as how spotty things had been for the weeks before and she bumped me all the way back to Week 1....so.....

Hang power snatch + hang snatch 2+2
    20kg x many
    40x1x2
    50x1
    60x1x2
    62x1x2
    65x1x2

Still have to be very mindful of the right elbow. The left wrist is still a bit sore...ugh that's some stubborn shit. Let's see what tomorrow looks like.

Anyone watching Worlds? It's in SoCal this year and the old Polish coach has been having the time of his life at the convention center taking selfies with lifters, esp. the Polish ones. I jokingly asked him to see if he can get Lochowska's # for me and then later that day he texted me back with, "Hey! Stupid! I asked Lochowska for you!"
    "Cereally? What'd she say?"
    "She asked me if you are weightleefter."
    "Uh oh...what did you say?"
    "Well of course I tell her yes."
    "K.....and then?"
    "Hahaha she says how much does he lift? So I tell her and she says not enough. Well at least now you have the goal to work for."

TLDR Joanna Lochowska DYEL'ed me.

Relevant:

I managed to hurt my good wrist doing the dishes last night. And that's why you never do the dishes, children. Relegated to the squat rack while the cool kids were away at a local meet. And since we're back to the endurance block...

Squat:
    20kg x 10
    60x10
    100x10
    130x10
    140x10
    150x10
    140x10
    More mental than anything else.
    Last edited by stuffedsuperdud; 12-03-2017 at 02:51 PM.

But did you ask how much is enough???

Quote Originally Posted by stuffedsuperdud View Post
    Anyone watching Worlds? .
    yeah. I picked out a few sessions and watched the re-runs. I'm not caring for it much.

I find it fascinating. Worlds.

Well, SHW sure was fun, eh???? Lasha is a once in a lifetime phenomenon, naturally, but Mr. Congeniality goes to Mart Seim. Dude's a pressing and squatting machine who is also super nice on social media, and hit a giant third clean and jerk all while the Iranian mob in the stands booed over something completely unrelated to him. Note this is actually the 2nd time he pulled a CJ out of the fire, as there was that one time at a relatively unimportant Worlds (2014 or something?) where he tore a labrum on his third snatch and then came out anyway to post a total.

I was crippled from the squats but decided to get off my bitch ass today and lift. did:

Power clean + clean + front squat 2+2+1
    20kg x a few
    40x1
    60x1
    80x1x2
    83x1x3

First cleans since my minor back injury. Can't complain.

Push press:
    40kg x 10
    60x9,8,10

Ugh I have the upper body strength of a baby teddy bear.

Lil L asked me to do Taco Tuesday with her but then fell asleep at work and woke up to a darkened office around 10PM. I didn't wait for her confirmation and drove to fucking El Paso Mexican Restaurant by myself. Got there early so I told them table for two and started ordering stuff. 18 taco ans half an hour later, it occurred to me that this shit wasn't happening. The waiter kept on patting me on the shoulder and going, "Is okay is okay." I KNOW THAT, SIR.

starting strength coach development program
    Today:
    Press:
    20kgx 10
    40x10
    50x8
    60x5
    62x5
    65x5
    Pretty sure I am nowhere near my old PR (80x5 or something like that??) but at least my right elbow/triceps feels better

Deadlift:
    60x10
    100x10
    130x10
    140x10
    Ehh....whatever. Just going through the motions.

Yesterday my roommate met Lil L for the first time but then tried too hard to "help" me ply her with Knob Creek and they ended up having a drunk shouting match in the dining room about the benefits of e-cigs for smokers. They were both wrong but I couldn't get a word in to diffuse anything. She sobered up and bounced around 2AM and then he, still drunk, upon realizing that she had gone home, berated me with "I need you to really internalize this. Shooters shoot." I wrote that off as him drunkenly quoting Barstool Sports, bit then he followed up with, "I feel like you are in the middle of a 32-year-long existential crisis and you have no idea who you are as you pass through this fleeting thing we all call existence. So you are just an empty vessel with no idea of how to use all these tools you have. Not the least of which is your dick." Thanks Yoda.