• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Power snatch:
    20kg x a bunch
    40x4
    50x3
    60x3
    70x2
    78x2x6 Coach says I'm sluggish and should go faster but I can't because bad athlete. My wrist is still sore.

Power clean + jerk 1+2
    20kg x many
    40x1
    60x1
    80x1
    90x1x8 lolwut. Gotta grease that groove, yo. First time jerking in a long time. Nothing hurt.

Deadlift:
    100x10
    130x10x3
    This was embarrassingly challenging and I had to fall back on ye ol "Hands feet shins set pull" cues for noobs to keep things tight towards the end of each set. Remember when cleans where the easiest part for me? Well, they've been feeling noticeably heavy off the floor lately, so....moar DLs?

No going-ons right now sorry.

Today:
    Squat:
    20kg x 10
    60x10
    100x5
    130x5x2
    140x10
    151x10
    160x8

On the first set of 130 I felt a twinge in my low back. Might have aggravated the old injury. I did a second set very slowly to make sure it was okay and then managed to get to the top set, but left two reps in the tank just to be safe. Bleh....it's always something.

Push press:
    2kgx 10
    40x10
    50x10
    60x10x2

Easy easy except for the bangs and bruises from yesterday.

Saw Star Wars. Credit where credit is due, they've gotten quite good at distilling what people like about these movies and then expanding it out to 2.5 hours. Long movie but never did it feel like it was dragging. Epic skirmishes were epic. And I've been rock throbbing hard for Laura Dern since 1993 so there's that.

Hang snatch:
    20kg x a bunch
    40x4
    50x4
    60x4
    67x4
    72x4x2
    65x4

And today:
    Hang clean + front squat 4+1
    20kg x a lot
    40x1
    50x1
    60x1
    80x1
    86x1
    92x1x2
    85x1x2

Press:
    40x10
    50x8
    60x5
    65x5
    67x4,5

Remember when I liked pressing? It's hard now.....but I'm getting some of it back maybe.

Ugh long week. My favorite bartender was working last night and hooked me up with way too much shitty bourbon, resulting in a gnarly headache. Something about cogeners? Anyway, Lil L showed up being shitty and drunk-overly-honest-me put her in her place (whoops!) and then some so our next conversation will be awkward, whenever that is. She left for Louisiana today too so she'll get to ferment on it for two weeks and come back really hating me it's fine.

Squat:
    20kg x 10
    60x10
    100x8
    130x5
    140x10
    152x10
    165x9 9RM PR FWIW

Was trying to take the 165 for 10 but got pinned on the last rep. Previous 10RM was, IIRC, 162. Was kind of fatigued from yesterday and should have just taken 163 but I wanted to just get a nice round # into the books already, plus I don't have time to fuck around with cheapo PRs, amirite? Rep #9 was definitely not an RPE 10 type lift though so probably a mental failure more than anything else, i.e. come testing day maybe I'll be able to PR anyway since it takes much less willpower to do a 1RM than a 10RM.... Anyway I was sore and tired and called it there.
    Last edited by stuffedsuperdud; 12-23-2017 at 02:09 AM.

Hey I'm back.....

Well I never left, but last Saturday I was down with crippling DOMS. Then the gym was shuttered Sunday Monday Tuesday for the holiday and then on Wednesday and Thursday I was sick.* This is why I will never be world champion. But I trained today:

Snatch:
    20kg x many. Exxxxtra long warmup actually due to the combination of feeling cruddy and stuff, and the cold weather outside
    40x3
    50x3
    60x3
    70x2
    77x1
    83x2x6 whooo

The first 2 at 83 felt wonky but I found the groove after that and the rest were easy.

*On Sunday I went to a Christmas buffet brunch thing and ate like 12 eggs, a pile of bacon, a few bowls of clam chowder, an omelette, and like 50 oysters. All washed down with maybe 12 minosas the bartender comped. I then stumbled into my car in the parking lot (remembering to sit on the passenger side thanks @mgil), pulled my linen-cotton double-breasted blazer tightly around me, and passed out. Next thing I know it's an hour later, my head is spinning, and my phone is full of texts from the Latin girl, something about me coming over.

Managed to clear my head a bit and drove over, where she made me a big ass pile of food. I noticed that she had a case of the crud, apparently aggravated from doing some sort of 21-15-9 CF workout earlier that week, and wasn't super diligent about cross-contamination, i.e. would go from rubbing her nose with her arm to touching raw chicken to pulling veggies from the fridge without washing in between. Didn't want to be weird about it though so I gambled with my immune system and lost. Only caught her cold, fortunately. No salmonella shenangians.

Didn't get laid its fine because when I say Netflix and chill, I mean Netflix and sit around hurting my neck on her shitty couch while she drifts in and out of consciousness, and while her absentee roommate's brother, a weird (high-functioning autistic? Srs.) 25-year-old visiting from the homeland, interrupts every hour or so from his room to ask her in Spanish if we are his babysitters for the night.

Since this is also the fashion thread, do you have any suggestions on where to get a suit in the DMV area? I remember you mentioning a place in DC in EnP I think, but I can't find the post.

Hope you have a speedy recovery.

Last training of 2017:
    Clean + jerk 1+2
    20kg x many
    40x2
    50x2
    60x2
    70x1
    80x1
    90x1
    100x1x6

And then I had to hustle over to the nearest SuitSupply to get the button on my velvet dinner jacket fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by shib View Post
    Since this is also the fashion thread, do you have any suggestions on where to get a suit in the DMV area? I remember you mentioning a place in DC in EnP I think, but I can't find the post.

Hope you have a speedy recovery.
    Thanks. I'm basically 100% again. To answer your question, ABSOLUTELY:

For off the rack, the Nordstrom at Pentagon City is my favorite. The staff are super helpful, not mention stylish themselves. There's an especially helpful guy there named Havin who has a great eye for style and will happily take care of you if you don't care about suits. (I think he only works on Thursday-Sundays though.) Nordy's can get expensive, but their store-line (either John W. Nordstrom or Nordstrom Men's Shop) as well as the Hart Schaffner Marx brand stuff is reasonably priced. There's also a Brooks Brothers at Tyson's Corner but that can again get pretty expensive. Caveman on this forum has a few of their suits and says the Regent fit is very lifter-friendly. I like the old Fitzgerald fit for its sharp v-taper but it seems they felt that Fitz and Regent were redundant, so now we just have the regent. There are also two SuitSupply stores, one in Georgetown and one in Tyson's Galleria. A bit more fashion forward, i.e. big lapels, bolder patterns, exotic fabrics, but they do have staple items like blue suits in various fits. Careful though, their stuff is cut quite slim. For a lifter, this is good up top, i.e. the jackets are nicely v-shaped, but the pants and sleeves can be uncomfortable. In fact, I own some of their sportcoats but not a single suit because I can't fit the pants at all. Oh, there are two good independent men's shops in DC that I know of, Everard's in Georgetown and Wm Fox and Co. on G Street. Really high quality stuff and the proprietors are wildly knowledgeable and will fall over themselves to help you look good, but their wares are not cheap. All of these places have made-to-measure options too, but I'm not sure you're getting much more than an altered off the rack suit.

The place you recall me talking about is probably Enzo Custom. Their suits start at $500, but that's only for a limited selection of bleh fabrics. You'll most likely pay around $700 for something cut out of nicer wool. As far as value for your dollar though this place is best, as you won't be paying much more than you would at any of off the rack places, but the suit will be made specifically for you. Note that there are a lot of made-to-measure services, with a wide range of quality. Indochino for example is the most ubiquitous one, and they're......not great, to say to least. The suit often comes back fitting poorly and will require either substantial alteration or a total remake. They also provide a very limited selection of fabrics, most of which aren't great, and only a few superficial customization options. Enzo is about as close to true bespoke (the thing where the tailor has a specific paper pattern for you and you try on the partially finished suit several times before it is done) without charging a ton of $$: the guys working there take a bunch of very meticulous measurements, and you have access to a ton of customization options. They're a small outfit that works personally with each customer, so they can do a lot more than can the big guys who force you to talk to a website only.

You can make an appointment here: http://www.enzocustom.com/showrooms

Burgan Hobbs is the guy I go to and he'll be back next week. He's quite good at helping people put together a traditional business professional / business casual look. Jared Bethune is the other guy, who's just as good, but he used to work at SuitSupply and as a result has a perhaps flashier sense of style, if you're looking for something bolder than a plain blue suit. I don't know if the website allows you to pick which guy you want. If it doesn't you can just call the 202 # and someone will assign you to the guy you want.

If you want a more hardcore experience, there's a place called Geoffrey Lewis on G Street that can provide more or less a true bespoke suit...but you have to ask. If you don't, they'll try to take a shortcut and have the suit mostly made for you before having you try it on, so you're paying bespoke prices for a made-to-measure suit, albeit one full of customizations. For the TRUE true bespoke experience, there's a guy here named Field's English Tailoring or something like that. His dad was a Savile Row tailor who moved here, and now the son runs the show. Everything is made on site, and the shop is of course super stuffy and British, if that's your jam.

Oh, and I have no experience with Dash's of Old Town in Old Town Alexandria but a guy from my gym swears by that place. All the suits will are made-to-measure at the Luigi Bianchi Mantova (LBM) factory in Italy, and the style will be quite Italian (softer shoulders, sleek torso, etc.). The owner is a flamboyant guy named Victor Dash who will charm your pants off before fitting you for new ones. But again, these are made in a 1st World factory so it'll run you like $1500 a pop.

Have fun! Let me know what you want to do and I can provide more specific ideas/advice.

Where my boys at???

Hang snatch:
    20kg x a bunch
    40x4
    50x4
    60x4
    67x3
    73x4
    78x4
    73x4x2

Snatch 3rd pull from jerk blocks:
    20x5x2
    25x5x2
    30x5x3

Happy fucking new year.

starting strength coach development program
    Happy New Year, dud! Now that I've seen TLJ twice, I can get back on the internet. Yep. Laura Dern. She's another one we'll have to fight over when the end times come.

Congrats on your squat PR and Christmas stuffing! We went out with friends to one of those fancy parties for NYE, and I parked myself at the oyster bar. Passerby were amazed; friends were horrified.