starting strength gym
Page 176 of 187 FirstFirst ... 76126166174175176177178186 ... LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,760 of 1870

Thread: Stuffed Superdud: Bumpy road to respectable lifting

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Squat:
    I could milk the LP a bit more probably, but figured it'd be kind of a wash with respect to where I will be with 1RM in 3 months time, so I went on-program with:

20kg x many
    70x10
    110x10
    130x10
    140x10
    150x10
    140x10

Nothing too hard it turns out, but the tendonitis in my left knee remains stubborn. Yasha caught me shifting my weight to the right side a bit. I then went out to Brookline where I ate ramen, pizza, and ice cream. Recall in previous lives, I had probably too many carb days, and ate too much during them. So this time, it's been 9 days, I kept it to one big meal, and I only did it because I was feeling kind of bad after the squats. BW was at 101 today, down from 105 2 weeks ago. Going to tighten it up a bit more, and swap out some protein in favor of more fat to drive keto, perhaps. Costco rotisserie chickens are a godsend.

Hang snatch:
    20kg x many
    40x4x2
    50x4x4

In between sets Yasha made me do extra mobility stuff for my hips and shoulders. I feel terrible now but the reps became noticeably more stable as my positions improved. But I've been doing this long enough to know that any improvements will be temporary and this will take weeks to work out. It's fine.

Now watching Westworld and getting more depressed.

Training a little more than I would otherwise because Jocko Willink told me to.

Snatch push press, with slow eccentric
    20kg x many
    40x10
    50x10
    60x10x3

Bent row because my back sucks:
    60x10
    70x10x3

Then I did a lot of rotator cuff work 12-20lb dumbbells

Power clean:
    20kg x many
    40x4x2
    60x4
    70x4
    80x4
    90x4x3

The 90s were ugly because I was sort of muscle cleaning everything due to severe technique degradation oh well. It'll come back.

Deadlift (don't worry Eric Schexnayder, this is the endurance block but later you will see that I can do a lot more than 400lbs so I'm qualified to give advice mmmkay?)
    110x10
    130x10
    140x10
    150x10x2

Shitbag coworker came up to me today at the conference table after a meeting and said, "Hey you want to spar sometime? I definitely have some pent up rage towards you."
    "Spar? What the fuck are you, 12? You want to do some sweep-the-leg shit on me?"
    "No. Like hand to hand combat. Come on let's see what you're made of." Here he started shuffling back and forth like the characters at the start of a round of Street Fighter, and poked me in the arm with a few jabs.
    "Dude, get the fuck away from me."
    "Hey man, just chill. Just seeing if you want to duke it out a little. You know, for fun."

This is all new territory. WTF. I mentioned it to HR (one person, who's mainly the CEO's EA) and she said she's pretty much ready to shoot him for when he threatened her, so maybe I should just wait till he hangs himself?

Quote Originally Posted by stuffedsuperdud View Post
    maybe I should just wait till he hangs himself?
    Yes, I think the high road is the way to go with this guy. Sounds like he's headed straight for a seasonal job scraping barnacles. Should be douche-tacular when it finally happens.

The 90s were ugly...
    Yes, indeed, the 90s were so, so ugly. I miss them, though.

I actually thought of you the other day.

I walked in to my usual Starbucks for an afternoon latte. Yes, I know that the fact that I had to qualify where I was with "usual' indicates that I have a problem, but I digress. One of the baristas, actually works out at the same gym I do, and when he saw me he said to his young attractive coworker, "Here comes Bob, he probably just got down squatting 405 or something crazy." My first reaction was wow, someone in the gym is actually paying attention to what I do. My second thought was to come up with a snappy comeback for when she acknowledges said feat. Unfortunately, I had no comeback for her blank stare and the ensuing semi-awkward silence. In hindsight, I realize that I don't think she understood anything that he said in that sentence. Oh well. I shed a tear of sadness on my way back to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Erok View Post
    Yes, I think the high road is the way to go with this guy. Sounds like he's headed straight for a seasonal job scraping barnacles. Should be douche-tacular when it finally happens.
    He has a peer, this super awkward redheaded girl named Jessica who technically has the same job as him, but in actuality is sort of in charge of him since he's new and she's been here two years. He throws a bitch fit every time their boss sends the two of them into the field and specifies that she's calling the shots. So starting yesterday, he has been telling everyone that she and I are totally banging, which while not explicitly bad is generally frowned upon on account of the small office. He threw in that he knows because we both told him, separately, due to his obvious wisdom and trustworthiness. Somehow he did not see any irony in this situation. This guy is a fucking cartoon. Obviously no one believes him but it's definitely kind of uncomfortable now, e.g. today I went to the coffeemaker when she was standing there and she just cringed and went, "Eeeeeehhhh hi....also, weeeiiirdddd......" and ran away. Hello rapey vibe. Guess I should just bang her for real then, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Erok View Post
    Yes, indeed, the 90s were so, so ugly. I miss them, though.
    It was a sartorial nightmare. Then vs now:

Quote Originally Posted by caveman View Post
    I actually thought of you the other day.

I walked in to my usual Starbucks for an afternoon latte. Yes, I know that the fact that I had to qualify where I was with "usual' indicates that I have a problem, but I digress. One of the baristas, actually works out at the same gym I do, and when he saw me he said to his young attractive coworker, "Here comes Bob, he probably just got down squatting 405 or something crazy." My first reaction was wow, someone in the gym is actually paying attention to what I do. My second thought was to come up with a snappy comeback for when she acknowledges said feat. Unfortunately, I had no comeback for her blank stare and the ensuing semi-awkward silence. In hindsight, I realize that I don't think she understood anything that he said in that sentence. Oh well. I shed a tear of sadness on my way back to work.

This is awesome. Don't forget, probably 105 and 405 sound equally heavy to her, and in any case, her brother did 500 in high school when playing JV defensive line. Also, after her shift she's gonna go blow some guy she's kinda sorta hangin' out with, so it's just confusing that her coworker would nudge you her way, right?

Hey look I finally lifted a weight off the floor:

Power snatch:
    20kg x many
    40x4x2
    50x3
    60x3
    70x2x2
    75x2x4 whatever.

Unfortunately, for me, I have two more stories to share. That makes three for me so hopefully that completes the set....

Outside at a fire drill at work and my boss and a bunch of people are talking about running and stuff. Gradually, as it always does, the conversation turns to an ex co-worker who was an exceptional runner. I've seen him run, and he really did look like he was good at it. Long strides, smooth as butter, etc... But this time my boss also goes into how this guy was just a beast and could deadlift 500 pounds. I call bullshit, still a bit salty from having 500 stop at my knees a few weeks ago. We go back and forth for a bit and then he says, huh, I thought you would have been able to pickup 800 pounds by now. Ugh. I hate people.

Babysitting Japanese co workers for the day. I am walking them back to their conference room after giving them the nickel tour of my area. The one guy says to me, "Hey I see that your coworker has a weightlifting trophy on display. That's pretty cool." I think about this for a bit and reply, "Actually, that trophy you saw was mine. I won a competition a couple of years ago." He looks at me, and then says "Really?".

It's no wonder I'm in introvert. I generally dislike talking to people...

OK, I promise not to litter your log with anymore of my silly BS. I have just been inundated with it lately, and you are probably one out of a handful of people on the planet that would understand it correctly.

Unfortunately, for me, I have two more stories to share. That makes three for me so hopefully that completes the set....

Outside at a fire drill at work and my boss and a bunch of people are talking about running and stuff. Gradually, as it always does, the conversation turns to an ex co-worker who was an exceptional runner. I've seen him run, and he really did look like he was good at it. Long strides, smooth as butter, etc... But this time my boss also goes into how this guy was just a beast and could deadlift 500 pounds. I call bullshit, still a bit salty from having 500 stop at my knees a few weeks ago. We go back and forth for a bit and then he says, huh, I thought you would have been able to pickup 800 pounds by now. Ugh. I hate people.
    This is funny as shit. Also, it's why I don't talk to coworkers about lifting. Well, I got sucked into yesterday. We have a new programmer, a guy who just graduated from college a few weeks ago, and he thinks he's required to listen to Shitbag's rants about the benefits of bodyweight squats. HR is dancing around the subject hard, and doing everything she can to tell him to listen to me and not Shitbag, without saying it outright, so it turned into, "Okay well it's good that Shitbag is coaching you, but I'm just saying that some others in this very office might be more informed and experienced at this sort of thing. There might even be at least one person in here who takes weightlifting kind of seriously and owns the stretchy pants to show for it."

New guy points at me and goes, "You mean him, right?"
    "Yes, that blocky person there."
    "Oh, okay." [Looks at me] "So like, I just want a bigger back for now."
    "...ugh....okay....what are you doing for your back right now?"
    "I do some one arm rows. And then I use the machine." [makes a lat pulldown motion]
    "Oh okay. Well that's good. Do you do barbell rows? Deadlift?"
    "No. I don't know."
    This went on for some time until I pulled up some YouTube videos and sent him on his way. Today Shitbag got word that I talked to the new guy and came to my office.
    "So I heard you've been talking to Rajesh about weightlifting."
    "Huh? Yea a little. He asked about deadlifts and I told him what I knew."
    Shitbag's face crumpled a little, and then he went, "Come on man, why you gotta do that?"
    "Do what?"
    "Don't play dumb, you know what."
    "I really don't."
    "Why are you talking to him about powerlifting?"
    "I wasn't. I don't do powerlifting and neither does he. I just-"
    "Dude okay just stop. That was out of line what you did."
    "I really don't know what you're getting at here."
    "You made me look like an asshole, man. If I tell him one thing, and then you tell him another thing, then he's not going to know who to believe."
    "....okay I really just answered a question. You know I hate talking about the gym. And things aren't mutually exclusive..."
    "No okay fine. But he shouldn't be doing what you do!"
    "What do I do?"
    "Your-your-your powerlifting! He's a beginner. He needs to build a foundation first before going to free weights."
    "The empty barbell weighs- okay fine you know? Fine I don't care."
    "No see you already did. You fucked it up."
    "So what do you want me to do?"
    "I don't know, man. I just don't know what we're going to do with you."

And then he stormed off shaking his head. I can't, I just can't.

Babysitting Japanese co workers for the day. I am walking them back to their conference room after giving them the nickel tour of my area. The one guy says to me, "Hey I see that your coworker has a weightlifting trophy on display. That's pretty cool." I think about this for a bit and reply, "Actually, that trophy you saw was mine. I won a competition a couple of years ago." He looks at me, and then says "Really?".

It's no wonder I'm in introvert. I generally dislike talking to people...

OK, I promise not to litter your log with anymore of my silly BS. I have just been inundated with it lately, and you are probably one out of a handful of people on the planet that would understand it correctly.

Okay now THIS is funny. Keep it coming man. I'm pretty extroverted myself, and to be totally honest occasionally even have trouble relating to people who aren't (this is why I finally had to quit the lab), but when it comes to barbell shenanigans, yea, turtle-mode engaged.

A bit of a supplemental day:

Press:
    20kg x10
    40x5
    50x5
    60x5
    65x5,7,5

I did 2 extra reps in the 2nd set thinking "Welp I'll just do 3 next set." But then did 5 anyway.

Good mornings:
    20x8
    40x8
    50x8
    60x8
    70x8x3

1:00 Planks:
    0kg x3
    Yep...finally gonna be more diligent about core work, because contrary to popular opinion, presses and squats alone don't necessarily make for a stable midsection. Unweighted today, LP to follow.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by stuffedsuperdud View Post
    1:00 Planks:
    You are the second person I see starting doing this around here. Mon cher ami Yaums, in the SS logs section, has also been doing this for a while. He also does a lot of running, which kinda helps because he plays rugby. Strong and cool dude, pretty much like yourself (I'll turn the 'Groupie' switch off right now, promise).

IPB