starting strength gym
Page 177 of 187 FirstFirst ... 77127167175176177178179 ... LastLast
Results 1,761 to 1,770 of 1870

Thread: Stuffed Superdud: Bumpy road to respectable lifting

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I like rollouts with an Olympic barbell w/ plates, its sort of a dynamic plank.

Front squat static holds are nice.

Fulcrum

Power clean + jerk 1+2
    20kg x many
    40x1x2
    60x1
    80x1
    90x1x5

Wanted to do a few more at 90 but my elbow started complaining so I was smart about it.

Burpees:
    45 in 5 minutes. Jocko Willink likes burpees and he is required reading at work so we all like burpees now. Chuck and I are racing to the 100 in 5 minutes benchmark. He's like 5'7" 165 and a former wrestler, but doesn't train as hard due to the two babies he has at home, so we'll see...

Squats:
    0kg x many to warm up hips and knees
    20kg x 10
    70x8
    110x5
    140x10
    150x10
    160x10 Happy Daddy Issues Day to all. Reps 8-10 were kind of dicey #voluntaryhardship stuff, but actually is a few kg off my 10RM. Will try for that next time.
    150x10 Wanted to just not do the backoff set but Jocko said to go through the motions and quit tomorrow, not today,

Planks
    2.5kg x 1:00
    2.5kg x 0:30, 0:20
    0kg x 1:00

Set 2 was rough, and I felt it every so slowly but surely crushing me into the floor. Lame.

So I didn't write or train for two weeks because the company sent me on an all-expenses-paid trip to Southern California and Europe. I was supposedly working the whole time, but fortunately, schmoozing meant a lot of free booze, so no complaints. I was unable to find a gym basically my entire time though, so....ugh.... I was either drunk or hung over as fuck for essentially the duration of the trip though, starting with my 6AM flight out of Logan on day 1, and culminating in a gigantic mess with the folks at the company's Dublin office, who felt pressured to be as Irish as possible. Interestingly, we were at a pub, and when I asked them if they had in mind some sort of stereotypically American bar, they described first a sports bar with the walls lined with TVs, and then a 19th century saloon "with the swinging double doors."

Also, for the past two weeks, all my meals were either with potential/existing customers or with coworkers whom I had never met before, so in the interest of avoiding social awkwardness, I made no attempt at avoiding carbs, though I did not seek them out deliberately, either. Back on the diet now.

Back in town now and I had one hour between chores today though and did:

Press:
    20kg x many
    40x8
    50x5
    60x5
    70x5x3

5kg jump because I thought I did 67 last time, not 65. Oh well, didn't die.

Sounds like a great time. Those Dubliners know what's up.

I keep failing:
    Last Saturday my redhead coworker roped me into driving out to a janky bar in fucking Worcester to support her boyfriend's band. Worcester sucks, the band was aight. She felt bad for coercing me and was like "Okay so...want me to wingman for you or something? Who are you feeling?"
    "Ugh....okay let's not fuck around. The blonde."
    "The blonde?"
    "That one over there. orange tube top, white jeans, orange heels."
    "Ugh her??? Ugh. Looks super boogie, yo. Didn't have you pegged as a fuckboi."
    "Oh shut up. Come one just help me."

As recently as six months ago I would have failed to see any practical purpose in this endeavor but hey I've been forced to do enough scuzzy sales recently that I'm down for anything. Unfortunately, Redhead wasn't actually familiar with the relatively simple duties of wingmaning, and mostly just cringed at the shit Krysti [sic] the blonde had to say, and then again and my forced responses. Next time, Red.

I then had to make a short trip to Baltimore for work, and didn't get back till late Tuesday night, just in time for my sister's arrival into Beantown. The heatwave was in full force for the 4th, but she and I made a brave go at it, trudging around town in the blazing sun. The Tea Party museum was whacky a hell, and probably a hoot for some people. We did it sort of ironically, still fun. And it wouln't be a proper 4th without sitting on a jam-packed lawn listening to people belt songs while staring at the sky, so we marched on bloody stumps to the Esplanade to hear local sweetheart Rachel Platten botch her set, while Rhiannon Giddens should be put on trial for murder because she killed it.

The next day consisted of more walking until we almost died of heat-stroke induced AIDS. She also made me go watch the Aladdin musical with her over at the Boston Opera House, which, against all my predictions, was fun as shit.

We then made our way up to to Provincetown, at the very end of Cape Cod. Just thought it'd be cool to get away from the heat, didn't know it was some sort of hotbed for gay tourism until my roommate told me. So I rolled in with an open floral shirt and linen short-shorts, and got hit on 0 times, except for when a guy walked up to tell me to go see gay lineman Esera Tuaolo perform that night the Pilgrim House.

That's the long way of saying that I didn't touch a barbell this week until today:

Push press (with muscle clean):
    20kg x many
    40x10
    50x10
    60x10
    70x10x2

Planks:
    1:00
    1:10
    1:03

Tried to distract my self from the discomfort by reading about Paul Revere.

Give your fledgling wingman some patience & practice, and that setup (live music environ, redhead, etc.) should start paying huge dividends.
    Pro tip: carry a pair of drumsticks in your back pocket.

I think I'm almost ready for short-shorts, myself. Had bad blowouts with linen, though.

Yessir. She's out of town this week but this weekend we are going to kill it. Don't forget, in the 1970s, guys showed up for those early WSM events in Daisy Dukes. You can do it.

Decided to train a little today:

Clean + jerk 1+2
    20kg x many
    40x1x2
    60x1
    80x1
    90x1x5

Right elbow seems a bit better in flexion than it has been in years, but now the distal biceps tendon is tight and extension into the jerk is causing a bit of soreness. Ugh...cannot catch a break. Fuck I hate this hobby. Okay back to work and by that I mean I need to call some Californians till about 11PM PST, and then switch over and Skype in with the the Dutch office, because I span about eight time zones.

I am in LA this week for work, but fortunately there is an LA Fitness next to UCLA with a proper-ish weight room downstairs. And by that I mean it's a sea of trash but there's at least a squat rack.

So:
    Squats:
    45lb x many
    135x8
    225x5
    315x8x3

3 weeks no squats + all-nighter from catching a redeye between Logan and LAX + no food = very rubbery weak legs.

I then did a ton of dumbbell work for my shoulders and elbow (kickbacks, curls, rotator cuff circuit, etc. The right elbow was very obnoxious today as woke up missing like 10 degrees of flexion and couldn't even really hold a barbell in an OHP grip. Weiiiird. Seems to have improved somewhat after the dumbbell work, but it has gotten obnoxious enough that I might look into asking if an MRI might be warranted, for my curiosity if nothing else.

It's a few hours later and the DOMS is really hitting hard. I am also comically sleepy as I sit here waiting for my coworker to land so that we can go eat Persian food.

starting strength coach development program
    Mmm, Persian food is so good.