starting strength gym
Page 178 of 187 FirstFirst ... 78128168176177178179180 ... LastLast
Results 1,771 to 1,780 of 1870

Thread: Stuffed Superdud: Bumpy road to respectable lifting

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I haven't died.

So in the 15 of July I did some squats in Los Angeles, right? Embarrassingly heavy but I did them. Well I woke up the next morning totally crippled, much to my co-worker's amusement. We had to stand all day, and then in the PM he wanted to lift, so off we went back to the LA Fitness. I managed:

Deadlift:
    135x10
    225x10
    315x8
    335x8x3

Bunch of dumbbell work.

We we then overcome with work for the rest of the trip, and I couldn't get away. Just as well, I guess, since the DOMS persisted till fucking Friday. I then had to immediately go to fucking Delaware, where I saw the whole state in 45 minutes. I finally got back today, and did:

Hang snatch:
    20kg x many many many
    40x4x2
    50x4
    60x4x2

Bench LOLOLOL WUT???
    20kg x A LOT
    60x7
    80x5x3

Just for funzos and aesthetics since there were a few others in the room. The bottom of the motion seemed to jolt something awake in my right elbow, and it seems I've (temporarily?) gained a few degrees of flexion. Let's see how it holds up.

I really have to sort out this training-on-the-road thing. Also, apologies for the lack of Brent Kim fanfic. This is the most fun I've ever had at work but it's kind of an all-consuming thing too.

Hang clean:
    20kg x many
    40x4
    60x4
    80x4
    90x4x2

Deadlift:
    70x8
    110x8
    140x8
    150x8

I wanted to do a top set at 160 but I felt my thoroughly detrained back tightening up and I didn't want to chance it, given how much time I have to spend these days sitting in airplanes.

Bench:
    20kg x 10
    60x5
    82x5x3 lolol NLP!

Voodoo elbow: I know KStarr's...er...star....has fallen somewhat these days, but his five-way shoulder exercises have been key in my continuing to lift, and the voodoo thing works too. I've had the Rogue bands in my bag for over a year now, but have only used them about five times ever, because tying up my my arm (by myself) is not my idea of a good time. Well, I decided to follow on the momentum after last week's improvements and voodoo'ed my elbow. It immediately felt better, and I got a bit of extra ROM. Not going to complain.....

We had a huge shindig on Saturday in honor of the redhead's departing. Yes, she's leaving the office at the end of the week. Officially it is because the company is expanding fast and it didn't make sense to keep on flying someone out to CA for client meetings, so they're relocating her to Portland Oregon or something like that where she can work from home and remote in daily as needed. Unofficially, she never liked the East Coast (she's from New Mexico or some shit like that) and was already thinking about leaving when Shitbag showed up and made her work life hell. A few weeks later, I arrived, followed shortly by a few other single childless people, all ready to have fun with her, (she calls us her circle of degenerates) but it was too late and the final nail had been inserted. But hey we'll still have Shitbag.

Needless to say, everyone's pretty grumpy about this development. So in response, we all (well, almost all. Shitbag did not show up, surprise surprise) partied our asses off and we knew it was, to quote the retarded species known as homo sapien milennial, "lit" when Red herself took a spill on her heels and twisted an ankle. She cinched it down hard with a bandage though and kept on getting fucked up; obviously there were lots of kids present because we are irresponsible, and one of them, the CEO's toddler daughter, called her "The Castfoot" so that's her name now.

Epilogue: Red spent most of today slapping around in a pair of HR's flipflops because she can't get her swollen and bandaged foot into any shoe she owns, and the Russian guy was of all people hung over still.

Your people know how to party, for sure. Too bad about losing Red. Good to hear there's hope for your elbow, tough.

Oh, and we prefer the term: "child-free".

Hahah right? Hey though, we're getting a week long bash out of this. Tomorrow, mandatory day-drinking is on the agenda. Organized by HR. Company culture is important.

Today:
    Lots of elbow MWOD.

Squat:
    20kgx many
    70x8
    120x8
    150x8

Just to warm up the legs. Will train for realsies tomorrow. I haven't squatted in a few weeks and I didn't want to cripple myself the way I did last time.

Quote Originally Posted by stuffedsuperdud View Post
    the final nail had been inserted.
    This seems to be alluding so subtly to a yearning that did did not materialise that one could almost miss it, and think you actually meant to represent the final step in the process of departure of the aforementioned fiery-haired one.

If it was deliberate, you have the hand of an eye surgeon, surely something that nobody ever said of a proficient weightlifter.

IPB

I was thinking the same thing!

Ah you guys are terrible. Put it this way: I would not have refused any attempts at, erm, nailing, as you so eloquently put it, should the situation have presented itself. At the same time, I am not particularly bothered that it did not.

Should probably lift every so often, huh....

Hang snatch:
    20kg x many
    40x4
    50x4
    60x4
    70x4x2

Squat:
    20x many
    70x8
    110x5
    140x9,10
    150x8

Embarrassing efforts:
    Squat
    20kg x many
    70x8
    110x5
    140x8
    150x9
    160x9

My knees are sore and right ankle feels right. What a shame it would be to die without ever having squatted 500.

Going to a military conference next week and Lyudmila will be there repping DARPA or something so that's going to be awkward and awkwardly chaste.

Sweet. This is the universe... no: This is the Government giving you another chance.
    Good luck. We're all counting on you.

starting strength coach development program
    Hey I'm back from the conference. Saw Lyudmila and things were about as tense and uncomfortable as expected. At one point though on the first day we got wasted and I ended up in her hotel room, but then one of her co-workers called and she flew into a rage to dress him down for a small mistake he had made. Remember how I said she was a narcissistic psychopath to everyone except me? This was one of those examples. Well, I'm a piece of shit with Oedipus issues, right? So there I am rock throbbing hard at the sound of her deliberately humiliating someone for no good reason, and that's when she decided it was time for me to call my Uber. Oh well. You win some, you lose most.

She met my coworkers the next day, were wildly put off by the way she talked to them, and now the consensus is that I'm some sort of masochist.

Anyway so since things went sideways relatively early, I had all week to wallow in frustration and self-pity, which meant way too many cheap shitty drinks, and my piss still smells like acetone even now.

I was still pretty annoyed with myself though so today I went straight from the airport to the gym and did:

Squat:
    20kg x many
    70x10
    110x10
    140x10
    151x10
    163x10 10RM PR (previous best was 161x10 and 162x9, IIRC)
    150x10