150x6

Press:
    20kg x many
    40x8
    50x6
    60x6
    70x3
    76x4,3,4

Uuuuuugh the right elbow wasn't cooperating. Very tight and sore and I felt like I couldn't totally engage my right arm as a result.

Snatch:
    20kg x many
    40x4x3
    50x4
    60x3
    70x3

And then I started bullshitting with Yasha and forgot to finish, oh well.

I comically hurt my upper back while shoveling snow out from under my car because why not. This made bending over or engaging my lats pretty uncomfortable, but I had to try to do something anyway to hold back the impending anxiety attack.

Press:
    20kg x a lot
    40x8
    50x8
    60x5
    70x3
    76x5x3

Tried to take the 3rd set of for a 6th rep and it got stuck in a weird place, very close to lockout instead of the usual sticking point near the bottom. Just had no traps left. Took a trip down memory lane and saw that I did 175lbs x5 in 2014 when I was TM'ing my presses...so it's cool to be re-treading stuff I did 4.5 years ago....fuck. 2014 though....that was one hell of a bumpy summer and not one I'd care to repeat. Made for some interesting logging though.

Here's some bullshit.

Snatch:
    20kg x ...
    40x4
    50x4
    60x3
    70x2
    80x0,1
    85x0,1
    90x0x3

For 80 and 85, the weight just felt kind of funny coming off the floor the first time (I am not accustomed to anything heavier than 75 or so since I've been running the prep block on repeat for a year) and I mis-timed things but got it sorted the 2nd time. For 90, I got it overhead all 3 times, but for some reason, just didn't have it in me to lock it out. Instead it drifted forward once and backward twice.

Hey I'm still here. Just been slow logging because I was down with a cold. The other day I did:

Snatch press + OHS 5+3
    40x1
    50x1
    60x1
    70x1

Snatch press
    80x5

OHS
    80x3x2

Snatch pulls:
    80x5
    110x5
    120x5
    130x5
    140x5

Yesterday I was really feeling the fatigue from the cold and did:

Front squat:
    20x10
    60x5
    90x5
    110x5,4,2

Ran out of gas at the end. On the plus side my front rank felt better than usual, and I'm making a touch more progress with the elbow, but it still ain't great and on the 2, the weight just fell off my shoulders...derp. Should probably get more sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by stuffedsuperdud View Post
    Hey I'm still here.
    And so are some of us :-)

IPB

Quote Originally Posted by IlPrincipeBrutto View Post

IPB
    Ehh...that's good. But it'd be kind of silly to keep on pretending at this point that the community hasn't been gutted. I used to have a log on a different site, but switched to here because everything was so lively, and there were tons of strong people posting. Now it's just a few people mostly talking to themselves. I'm keeping this alive because people might benefit from all the stupid anecdotes from 2013-2017 or so, but a lot of it now feels like shouting into the darkness.

I went in a several days ago and did:
    Clean:
    20kg x many
    40x4
    60x4
    80x4
    90x4x2
    100x0x2

I couldn't rack the 100s, which was highly unexpected given that I can normally power them. The left side was fine; I just couldn't rack it steadily on my right shoulder...so there's an obvious culprit....

However, not to jinx myself, but that is something that has definitely taken a big step in the right direction these past few weeks. Previously I had just been getting an extra bit of ROM prior to training by doing some local releases with the green band, an effect so temporary that I would feel myself losing flexion over the next half hour or so until the ROM sucked just as the weights got heavy. Well, a few weeks ago, the well-meaning Indian kid was sitting across the room playing around with a wireless TENS unit on his leg when he saw me grinding away. He sauntered over wearing nothing but his underpants and asked me if I wanted him to help release my shoulder. He's no PT, mind you, just a fifth year undergrad bio major who watched too many K-Starr videos. I figured I had nothing to lose and he goes, "Okay good. Lie down on your stomach for me please. This is going to hurt." He then straddled me, still in nothing but his undies, and went to town. Sure enough, he manhandled my shoulder pretty good, and about halfway through, when I was making a lot of uncomfortable noises, he actually leaned over and whispered in my ear, "Shhhh. Shhhhhh. Just relax. Relax. Try to enjoy it. This can be a pleasurable experience."

Anyway, somehow, against all odds, I did feel better, and even though he had been mostly working the space between my scapula and my spine, I did have a bit more elbow ROM. His hypothesis is that the worst sticking point is in the space he tried to release, not the elbow itself. Neither of us is 100% sure that makes sense anatomically, but it's not obviously wrong as far as we can tell so we're going with it. This allowed me to load up 70kg in the squat rack, strap my hands to the bar in the correct position, and then sort of force myself under the bar. The right elbow resisted of course, but I was eventually able to squeeze more and more flexion out of it until the weight lifts off the rack and is resting cleanly on my shoulders. It's still not great of course, but the flexion gains have been relatively persistent, and the bits that fade away I've been able to get back with just a quick bit of stretching.It got to the point where today, I was able to manage:

Front squat:
    70kg x6
    90x5x2
    100x5x2
    110x5,5,1
    ....heh botched the last set. All the reps prior felt pretty good, and for once in my life I was able to keep three fingers on the bar. On the 110s though, my upper back, which has become pretty detrained, started protesting. On the third set, I had to do a funn adjustment to the bar after my 1st rep and it rolled into my neck and choked me out. Decided to spend the remaining time just stretching some more. Onward and upward....

Quote Originally Posted by stuffedsuperdud View Post
    But it'd be kind of silly to keep on pretending at this point that the community hasn't been gutted.
    I agree. I would also add it was entirely predictable; not that it matters anymore, of course.

IPB

Quote Originally Posted by IlPrincipeBrutto View Post

IPB
    And my axe!

That's good shoulder news, dud. He could do PT experiments on you for, you know, science and stuff.

Yeah, it's a bit quieter around here, but I don't seem to mind. My blood pressure doesn't spike as often. I think I actually discovered the new site where everybody else went after the snap. It's not as fun.

I'm all about shouting into the void, though. Life has no meaning, other than the meaning we give it, right? Keep on grinding.

starting strength coach development program
    It's true. One thing I definitely don't miss is E&P, as I don't think any of those discussions were ever actually productive at all unless your goal was to waste time and spend some waking hours mad at some belligerent DYEL guys on the internet. Though I do still mourn the loss of the clothes thread + Thread of Suck. But the logs section was pretty nonpartisan and a good place to talk training. Oh well, the lord giveth and the lord taketh away.

I'm still trying to shake this damn cold. Most of the symptoms are gone but I'm still fatigued at the end of the day and my head's congested. Decided that there's nothing I could do, except.....bench press!

Bench:
    20kg x 5
    50x8
    70x5
    80x5
    90x5,5,4
    70x6,7

I was going really slow on the eccentrics and got a smidge cocky on the last rep at 90. Went really slow, paused it, and then....got trapped at the sticking point! I was benching alone with just squat stands, and though I did have some jerk blocks set up next to me as a safety, I didn't fully trust myself to have set the right height, so I had to do the roll of fucking shame for the first time since high school. Ended up re-racking, did a bit of backoff, and then GTFO.