starting strength gym
Page 187 of 187 FirstFirst ... 87137177185186187
Results 1,861 to 1,870 of 1870

Thread: Stuffed Superdud: Bumpy road to respectable lifting

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by stuffedsuperdud View Post
    One thing I definitely don't miss is E&P, as I don't think any of those discussions were ever actually productive at all
    I happen to not completely agree with this statement, although by now it's academic.

There are at least two things I regret not saving from that place; no, three. One, is that very very old thread started by Fluxboy (I think), which at some point featured the story of 'The Fox' written by a Greek member of this place. I think Flux was also the guy who, in another discussion recommended to masturbate daily to increase test production and get better results in the gym (I think it was at a time where he was posted to a lonely place where he had nothing much to do apart from working, and working out). Those were the early days of E&P, where literally everything was possible (and tolerated).

Also, there was a thread where people spoofed Disney soundtracks into gym songs, and some of them were amazingly inventive; last, but not least, my Brexit thread.

IPB

What is "The other Thread"?....dare I ask?

So I actually trained a little.

Several days back I did:
    Press:
    20kg x 10
    40x8
    50x6
    60x5
    70x5,5,4

Yeeeppp.... missin' reps at 70 these days. Right arm feeling not great.

Front squat (after tons of right elbow mobbing)
    70x5
    90x5
    110x1,2,3
    120x1,2

Deadlift:
    70x10
    110x10
    130x5
    150x5
    160x5

The other day I did:

Press:
    20kg x many
    40x8
    50x5
    60x5
    70x5,5,7 okay so we're not totally derailed....

Deadlift:
    70x8
    110x5
    140x5
    150x5
    160x5x2

Then I went to the Somerville porchfest. Was probably the only person there who didn't have an MFA. Some people asked me where I went to school because for some reason that was important, and when I told them (that libtard institution that so excellently trolls rightwing nutjobs), they all assumed Berklee. It's fine, still got hammered in what felt like the first hot day of the year and was hung over by 4PM.

Today:
    Mostly just trying to mob the elbow but ended up doing

Front squat:
    20kg x a lot...feels kinda bad
    70x5
    110x4,3,2,2,1
    Upper back is weak.... Finally agreed to see a doctor about the elbow and get an update about what it might be doing in there. Will keep you all posted.

Hey, whoever's still here. I've actually been lifting. Just slow on the updates.

A few days ago I did snatch push press + OHS 5+5

20kg x too many
    40x1
    50x1
    60x1
    70x1x2
    80x1 This might be a 5RM OHS, not sure.

On Saturday I did
    Rack jerk:
    20kg x too many
    40x3
    50x3
    60x3
    70x3
    80x3
    90x3x2
    Ehhhhh whatever

Press:
    20x10
    40x8
    50x6
    60x5
    70x5
    72x5x2 NBD

Today:
    Lots of elbow mobbing

Clean pull:
    20x10
    70x8
    110x5
    140x5
    150x5
    160x5
    170x5

Gonna get yoked soon.

I went into mucho depresivo mode this weekend and binged Dark and the third season of True Detective. The former, my roommate made me watch it with him; he saw it when it came out but wanted to rehash everything in preparation for season 2, while it had caught my eye when it was released but then I passed it up and the rest was history. That scrambled my sleep schedule, which led me to randomly perusing HBO, which led me to finding out about the existence of this new season. Like most people, I thought season 1 was the shit. Unlike most people though, I sorta liked season 2, and was disappointed thinking that it probably killed the show. Then, kaboom this is here??! No spoilers, but it was very evocative of season 1, perhaps even more unsettling due to the unreliable narration. I'm still pretty unnerved, and could use a stiff drink.

Any more info on the Elbow?

Nice clean pulls! wish I could figure those out. Thanks for the True Detective recommendation. We've decided to keep HBO for a little bit longer, so might just skip to season 3 and see if it excites us.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris McCarthy View Post
    Any more info on the Elbow?
    So I started getting some PT done. The physical therapist is a lifter herself (well..CF....) and quite keen on getting me proper ROM ASAP. The doctor didn't order any images done, so we're sort of flying blind, but right now her guess is that I don't have any mechanical blockages, and since I don't have any known injuries in the area, it's probably just a matter of me doing a lot of bodybuilding motions. Interestingly, I also told her where it hurts, and she said that in cases such as these, it's not unusual for there to only be a loose correlation between what hurts and where the dysfunction is actually located.

Also interesting: she thinks that K-Starr type staples such as band distractions, smashing, foam rolling, etc. are okay, but yield only short term benefits, and that for me, making the surrounding muscles stronger with direct work covering the full ROM is a better place to start....so I've been doing a lot of 3x10's with the 20lb dumbbell eww. Not gonna lie though, it's actually pretty exhausting.

The exercises are:
    Lying triceps extension, with a pause at end range
    Seated biceps curl with arm on horizontal surface and elbowing hanging off edge, so that the weight forces the arm to extend as far as possible
    Skullcrushers, with pause at bottom
    Standing biceps curl
    One-arm row
    Standing DB press
    Pull ups, the new bane of my existence. Note that I cannot actually do this for 3x10. Years ago, before I got into lifting, I weighed 180lbs and was able to do 16 dead hang reps, or 5 with a 45lb plate. Then I found out about weightlifting, gained those 45lbs, and dropped to like 8 reps. Haven't trained this in too long, and now I am reduced to a paltry 2 pullups! Fuck. Road to 20 starts here, I guess....

Following this, I'll go through and also do the band work I've been doing.

It's been about a week now and I'm definitely getting better extension. My flexion range is still stuck around 90° unfortunately, though it no longer hurts much to do it, so that's something. The pain has also become much more localized to one hot spot, instead of dancing all over the joint, so that's good, I guess?

That said, today I went in to train but was too sore for any decent work, so I stuck with

Squat:
    20kg x10
    70x5
    110x5
    140x5
    160x5
    170x5
    150x7

Definitely not at my strongest, but 170x5 I'll take it. My back is roasted, so maybe something will come of the pullup work??

Sounds absolutely awful. It'll probably work wonders.

Hello from someone who is still here.

Quote Originally Posted by stuffedsuperdud View Post
    snatch push press + OHS 5+5

80x1 This might be a 5RM OHS, not sure.

I am not sure this happens to you too, but I find the OHS one of the most fatiguing lifts. What I mean is that in the OHS there is no rest position; your shoulders and traps are supporting the weight all the time, and they are the muscles working hardest (you are not going to fail an OHS because your legs can't push you up).
    Say you do a set of five squats; up to a limit, you can spread them out over a fairly long time, just standing with the bar on your back while you catch your breath. You cant' do that with the OHS; any and every second of the set it's a second that your shoulders and arms spend under tension, supporting the load.

My pussiness notwithstanding, once I got close to my snatch PR on the OHS, I had to switch from five to threes to be able to progress; what's your take about this?

IPB

starting strength coach development program
    I've been training here and there between work trips, but have been slightly sloppy about logging since I didn't do anything exciting. My elbow is on the up and up though, so that's good. My PT is a lifter herself, and has me on a pretty aggressive protocol, which I am liking. It's nothing flashy, just a lot of dumbbell work, bands, bodyweight exercises, etc. but I am slowly relearning how to use my right arm.

Today though I got tired of bumming around so decided today was as good as any to go back on-program. Our travel schedule will actually ease off a bit for the next few months to boot, so that'll be good....

1-1
    Power snatch + snatch from thigh 2+2:
    20kg x many
    40x1
    50x1
    60x1
    65x1x2
    70x1x2
    65x1

Pull-ups:
    Band assisted: 1x10....

Program calls for 3x10 but I am so detrained on these fuckers that I can only do 3 or so unassisted ATM. Did a full set of 10 with the help of the green band and shoulders + arms were fried. Will have to level up...

IPB: Yes, OHS is a brutal isometric exercise, no real way around that. That said, I've noticed that if I a, diligent about getting a good lockout when doing that push-press type move at the beginning of a set to shove the weight overhead, I can then just keep on telling myself "reach reach reach reach reach" and my arms and traps remember to stay at lockout, where the body is strongest. In the odd case when the fatigue does kick in, it's usually around rep 3, and I forget to reach. The tiniest bit of slack goes into the arms, and then the next reps are very sloppy, if completed at all.

If this is a real problem, aside from evaluating your positions and making sure you are indeed using everything you've got (elbows pointed back instead of to the side, traps fully squeezed, etc.) then it might just be the case that you need to get stronger in that specific position. So keep pummeling yourself with OHS, snatch press, snatch push press, etc. for sets of 5-8 until your Hulk out of your shirt. It's pretty boring, but a roasted trap feels kind of satisfying afterward.