starting strength gym
Page 4 of 187 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Stuffed Superdud: Bumpy road to respectable lifting

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    10/15/2013
    Nutrition and sleep are in the toilet after celebrating a friend(zoner)'s (heh...I've accepted my fate. It's fine, no harm no foul.) birthday last night and then having to wake up early due to a surprise fire drill at my apartment complex...asshats. But I try.

Push
    Recovery day:
    Snatch press 55kgx5x2 5RM PR

I don't really care about my bench THAT much so while I will train it with some form of regularity, I'll spare my chronically banged up wrists and rotator cuffs the stress and focus exclusively on OHP, using the Klokov press as my recovery for my TM split. So every week will be:
    VD: OHP 5x5
    RD: SP 2x5 or 3x5, 1-2kg increase from prev week
    ID: OHP 1x5
    Fun experiment for an Olympic lifter, perhaps?

Good place to note: While I don't share the rather extreme disdain some members of this board have towards USAW, I'm definitely my own guinea pig in driving up sn/cj by driving up the brute lifts, as I've trained till my injury with people who toe the USAW line and have made painfully slow progress that way (and was injure all the time from my technique and strength being too close together for comfort), and am sick of seeing 48kg Chinese/Kazakh girls ahead of me.

Squat
    Squat: 275x5, 285x5, 300x5
    My knee was sore and angry + 300 was kind of a stall point anyway, so I backed off a bit and ramped up to it. The 300 for daily 5RM was easy. Will probably do something like 285, 292.5, 300 next time, 290, 295, 300 after that, and then back on track with 5lb jumps. Because I'm NDP and don't like to rest on my heels during resets.

Sn/CJ
    CJ:
    50kgx3
    60x3
    70x3
    80x4 (goofed on one and missed the jerk so I took it again)
    90x1x2

This was harder than expected, due to the crappy rest and food.

Pulls

10/17/2013
    Push
    Intensity day:
    Press 160x5 5RM PR
    This was 2.5lb higher than Justin suggested (I got greedy) and was pretty hard but no serious grinding.

Squat
    Squat: 285x5, 295x5, 300x6
    Instead of a middle set of 292.5, I got lazy, didn't want to break out the microplates, and just went ahead and banged out 295, and then did an extra rep at 300 for good measure. Because I am in a rush to LP back to the mid 300's and go full TM on my own ass. You know, that thing I should have done a year ago instead of stagnating in my prime.

Awkward moment: The other person in the gym complimented me on my strength after the 300x6 and I crashed into a Brent Kim moment. Here's the sitch: To a casual exerciser, 300lb is a stud squat. Us lifters know better though; to us, for a 105 lifter in his 20's, 300 isn't even a stud power snatch. It's embarrassing bitch weight that you should deal with in private. So what's the proper response?

Me? I stammered on about how it's "not that good" (which might be interpreted as a dig at his 135 ugh) and started explaining what Olympic weightlifting was ("You know, like that WSM thing you see on ESPN, only not....ugh let me start over....you know what bench press is? Well it's like that, but...fuck," and closed by directing him to some strength tables on the gym wall. Now he probably thinks I'm a gigantic meathead dickhead. Sorry for being such a poor ambassador of the barbell, guys.

Sn/CJ

Pulls

10/19/2013
    Bullshit. I was feeling stiff and tired and no amount of warming up could get me under the bar fast. I snatched up to 65kg and missed a lot, and squatted up to 275x3 but quit when it felt heavy.

10/20/2013
    Push
    Press VD: 140x5x5
    Easy 5lb increase since last VD.

Squat
    Squat: 300x5,5,6
    Knee felt really good. Back to the the 300 club for realz this time FINALLY.

Sn/CJ

Pulls

10/22/2013
    Sick today. Bleh.
    Push
    Press Recovery:
    Snatch grip push press: 56kgx5x2
    Too tired to do regular snatch press so I threw some hip English into it just to get the joints moving.

Squat
    Front squat: 245x5x3
    Easy. Then I told someone at the gym about barbell training (he's excited to get started woohoo) and left.

Sn/CJ

Pulls

10/25/2013
    Went to the gym feeling sick and tired. Also really stiff and couldn't get into a squat position (imagine, some people walk around like this every day! yikes!) but managed to slowly open up my hips by doing a long dynamic warmup and squatted hops up and down the gym floor.

Push
    Press ID: 162.5x4 4RM PR
    Missed the 5th rep. Will dial up the volume a bit next week; still trying to get my settings right after 2 weeks.

Squat
    N/A

Sn/CJ
    Snatch:
    40kgx3
    50kgx3
    55x3x2
    60x3x2
    65x3
    70x2
    75x1
    82x0
    I was pinned by the 82. The knee is still having trouble standing up from a deadstop bottom position. I start adding pause squats at light weight to recondition it.

Pulls
    Snatch pull: 104kgx5x2
    Snatch grip deadlift: 115kgx5
    Knee a bit sore but I didn't explode or shit my pants.

10/27/2013
    All I did was squat today but it wasn't really "Squat and leave." More like, "Squat till your legs melt, which given my weakened state didn't require a ton of work but hey, I try.

Push

Squat
    Pause squat: 135x8, 225x5, 275x3
    Squat: 305x5x3
    This was the sticking point a few sessions ago. We're through it now.
    More pause squats: 225x5, 135x5

Really trying to retrain the knee to drive from a dead stop at the bottom. Because getting pinned by a snatch is an activity best left for the bedroom AMIRITE? ....lawlzorz I make myself laugh.

And on that note I left to go eat and foam roll the crap out of my legs.

Sn/CJ

Pulls

I wanted to clean up to heavy clean pulls and a top set of deadlift but between this and the residual damage from Friday night's snatch pulls, this didn't happen.

10/29/2013
    Push

Squat

Sn/CJ
    Clean + CJ
    50kg: 2+1
    60kg: 2+1
    70kg: 2+1
    80kg: 2+1

Clean:
    85x2
    90x2
    100x1
    107 miss
    107x1 Post-injury PR

Pulls
    Eccentric clean pulls:
    90kgx5
    110x5
    130x5x2

Deadlift:
    157kgx5
    Hips were high, i.e. regular deads, not clean 1st pulls as I wanted. Knew this was coming though since the quads are still weak and unable to do a strong push-back off the floor with low hips.....but since I am enjoying the pull-LP I will keep this going. Might take a bit of a reset when my quads catch up. We will see.

10/30/2013
    Quick gym trip. Thought about squatting but warmups revealed that yesterday's deadlifts were more taxing than expected (seized up in the bottom position with just the empty bar, heh...) , so no lower body work, unfortunately.

Push
    Press VD: 145x5x5
    Last VD was apparently too easy. This one was...also too easy. Bracing for disappointment come Intensity Day... And then I left.

Squat

Sn/CJ

Pulls

11/2/2013
    I took an extra day off yesterday to deal with an emergency. Yet another reason I will never be world champion, I guess.
    Push

Squat

Squat: 310x5x2, 310x1
    I knew I was in trouble when the warmups felt hard. The 2nd set felt like a true 5RM, and I actually fell out of the power rack and onto the floor after re-racking. Went in for a third set, did a rep, and then was squished into the bottom. Will try this again in two days...and focus more on recovery.

Sn/CJ
    Rack jerks:
    50kgx3x2
    60kgx3x2
    70kgx3x2
    80kgx2x2

Would have liked to do more but I made the mistake of doing the squats first and was destroyed.

Pulls

starting strength coach development program
    11/3/2013
    Push
    Press recovery:
    Snatch grip push press: 135x5x3

Squat
    No squats today, but just noting that those really intense two sets yesterday must have broken up a bit of lingering scar tissue or something, because my patella has been tracking great all day today. I even stood up from every single snatch from a dead stop at the bottom.

Sn/CJ
    Snatch:
    40kgx3
    50x3
    55x3
    60x3
    65x3x2 (some misses)
    70x2
    75x1
    82x1 Real make, not a training make like last time
    85x1 Post-injury PR
    88kgx0
    88kgx1 Lifetime PR by 1kg. IS THIS REAL LIFE?
    Don't misunderstand me. I know 88 is bullshit for a 100kg male and I have a long way to go before I am even an average 94/105 lifter, but the last 8 months of rehab have been very frustrating at times and many times I believed that I was done PR'ing for life, so this 1kg for me was probably akin to qualifying for the A-session at nationals: not a huge achievement in the long run, but definitely a sign that one has crossed a big threshold.

Pulls

Page 4 of 187 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast