• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    5/29/2014
    Push

Squat

Sn/CJ

Pulls

Conditioning
    Steel 1-2: 100m dash x 10. Walk-back = rest.
    In the interest of acclimation and not blowing a hammy, I didn't go full balls to the wall. I did keep it at 85% or so though, which was enough to knock me onto my ass. Note: in the future, condition LAST. I was going to go to lift after the runs but was wiped out by the end. The more you know...

5/31/2014
    Ahaha I feel like garbage today. Relevant: Bill Starr's "Training with a Hangover" article.............. My research was published in a journal the other day and my co-workers spent the entire night trying to get me drunk and laid. I ended up having like eight delicious beers on their dime, but alas we fell short on Goal #2 because I couldn't keep the fuse going, the set fizzled out, and the girls called it a night. Basically the sexual equivalent of getting 1st and goal on the 1 yard line and failing to get the ball in. My buddy got laid though. As we left after last call, in my inebriated frustration, I actually cried out, "Fuck that guy! I can jerk way better than he can!" Awesome.

Today: beer is just expensive carbs, right? Let's use them!

Push

Squat
    Intensity day
    Squat: 365x5
    This is where I left off at the end of 3x5.

Sn/CJ

Pulls
    Eccentric clean pulls:
    60kgx5
    100x5
    130x5
    155x5
    160x5

Deadlift:
    184kgx5 5RM PR
    I've not missed a deadlift yet in my life, but these are getting a tad heavy......

Update: I went out with a girl after logging the DLs. We were in the car for a while and when I stepped out, my left hammy and groin seized up in a knot about the size of a softball. I immediately have to stop and try to rub it loose, so she's dashing off ahead of me, notices a few seconds later that she's on her own, and turns around to the site of what appears to be me dry humping my hands in the middle of a parking lot. I got a "Really dude? Right here? Really?" but fortunately she left it at that and seemed to believe my flustered explanation. I don't care what Sully and folks say about Big Medicine; my hobby is ruining my life.

Conditioning
    Last edited by stuffedsuperdud; 06-01-2014 at 04:16 AM. Reason: Added relevat metachronous anecdote.

6-4-2014
    I took an extra day or two off because my back was very tight after those DLs. Hopefully nothing serious and something I can adapt to quickly.

Push

Squat
    Squat volume: 335x5x5 Volume PR and Tonnage PR
    My first real volume day, and it was kind of a nutbuster mentally. Spent 10 minutes between sets 4 and 5 on my back trying to work a spinal erector kink out with the thick PVC pipe and thought about quitting weightlifting, but figured, I'd already suffered 80% of it, might as well get paid. Things worked out, fortunately.

Sn/CJ

Pulls

Conditioning
    Conditioning buddy (henceforth known as CB) is laid up as a result of an inebriation-related foot injury. I guess considering how much my ladyfriends love to combine fruity alcohol with wobbly heels and crowded nightclubs, it's a miracle this doesn't happen more often... Anyway, she can't run and my motivation was crushed by those squats so this didn't happen. Maybe I'll do a few trips up and down the track tomorrow on my own or something.

I have to say that your lifting and your conditioning are truly impressive. 100m dashes would crush me, especially 10 of them. Congratulations on the research publication, too!

Ahaha you embarrass me with your excessive kindness, Oldman. On the contrary, I'd wager the average high school fullback is much more impressive than I am and he's still probably 10+ years away from his biological peak. Pretty sure given my age and general lack of health issues aside from minor orthopedic dings, my sub-2xBW squat isn't much to write home about. As for the runs, it probably helps that beyond the first 3 or so, my "dash" was only a hair faster than how most people jog. But your flattery will be most welcome if I ever squat 600lb and total 300+ in competition while running a sub 11-second 100m; you'll be the first to hear about it.

6/7/2014
    Took an extra day off to shake off the effects of volume day. Here's hoping I acclimate fast. Also, I read Purposeful Primitive by Marty Gallagher last night. It's not the best book ever, as Marty definitely could have used a professional editor and graphic designer, but he does write the way he talks, which is always entertaining in a campfire sort of way; I found myself reading it in his voice and accent and it flowed along nicely.

Technical issues aside, the thing was full of great stuff about all those truly strong guys from the old covers of Powerlifting USA. Halfway through, I sort of started to understand more of why these crotchety old men complain about how weak modern weightlifters (and powerlifters!) are. Walk into any regular gym and 315lbs is a stud squat; go to a gym with actual lifters and the bar goes up slightly to perhaps 500lbs. Get on the YouTubezz and ogle as the mighty Klokov grinds out 700x1 or 500x10 at 105kg. All this pales in the face of the 800x5x5 at 242BW (and then get drunk and beat up some frat bos and bang some horny broads) antics that were apparently once commonplace in 1980's Maryland. Good times. Naturally, I felt like a total failure from reading this and immediately headed to the gym.

Push

Squat

Recovery day
    Front squat:
    135x5
    225x3
    275x1
    285x3x2 Easy 3RM PR I thought this was what I had the last time I front squatted. Turns out it was 280.
    290x3 Easy 3RM PR Felt reckless and decide to go for a 3M PR, not knowing I had already done so. That's one way to overcome a mental block, I guess.

Sn/CJ
    Clean + front squat + jerk 1+2+2
    50kg
    60kg
    70kg
    Clean + front squat + jerk 1+2+1
    80kg
    90kg
    Clean + front squat + jerk 1+1+1
    100kg
    CJ
    110x0x2 Missed both PR attempts. Kind of annoyed that the increased strength didn't magically carry over, but the technique was admittedly rough.

Pulls

I think now that the squat has transitioned to intermediate programming, my training for the near future will look something like:
    Monday
    Squat volume
    Snatch

Tuesday
    Press/BP volume
    Lighter pulls
    Conditioning

Wednesday
    Squat recovery
    CJ

Thursday
    Press/BP recovery
    Playing at the gym
    Conditioning

Friday
    Squat Intensity
    Pulls
    DL

Saturday
    Press/BP intensity
    Conditioning

No promises on how well I am able to adhere to this, since my life outside the gym i a disorganized mess, but I will try. Think of this as an ideal week, if you will.

Books: Has anyone read the new book about Bulgarian weightlifter Galabin Boevski? The guy who got caught smuggling coke, perhaps unwittingly, at a Brazilian airport ("I don't think it was chalk!" -Randy Strossen) It's ostensibly a biography of him, but ends up being about the twilight of the Bulgarian era of international weightlifting. We romanticize the training environment in countries good at weightlifting and conjure up images of of state funding and free supps and massages and endless buffets of lamb and yogurt and steaks and kabobs, but the book paints a much more severe picture. Instead of glamor and money and shiny new Eleiko equipment, we have a smattering of desperate boys from poor families who didn't make the cut for soccer, track, wrestling, and a billion other sports more popular than WL. They're forced to lift broken old equipment in gyms financed by local organized crime elements, even when sick and injured, and the price of failure is a one-way ticket back to herding goats and toiling in rusting factories for barely any pay. Drugs are referenced here and there, but quite frankly, even if we killed USADA and roided our guys out to the gills, USAW would still be a step behind. It's simply impossible to ask a bunch of Americans, all of whom lift weights because we enjoy doing so, to compete against people who practically have guns to their heads.

It's not a great book; the author is a Bulgarian sportswriter, and even if we ignore the various translation errors, it still reads like a multipart series in Sports Illustrated more than a captivating biography, but it's like three dollars on Amazon and makes for a fun few hours. Probably more productive than the non-log sections of this forum, anyway. Would probably make a great ESPN 30:30 bit. SI covered the Bulgarians several times in 1980's, but unfortunately I highly doubt they'll go back today. Too bad.

6/8/2014
    Played around with some bodyweight stuff for the knee. Not sure what the cause of the lingering dysfunction is, but it's still painful to do some tricks like duck-walking and leg extensions. Yes yes leg extensions are awful no matter what, but a healthy knee ought to be able to do it unweighted, yes? Should probably get this sorted out soon...

Push
    Bench press: 210x5x3
    Pretty sure anything below 315x10 is garbage. Not sure of this is even worth logging.

Squat

Sn/CJ

Pulls

Conditioning
    Last edited by stuffedsuperdud; 06-09-2014 at 02:38 AM.

Looking forward to the new program. Also, I enjoyed the book review. I'm starting a bunch of programming-related stuff, but I might give this one a look too.

Thanks Oldman. If you're short on time, I'd recommend bumping this a bit further down your list. It's not useful like a programming-related book, and not nearly as compelling as some of your favorite TV shows. Now Marty's book, if you have time, is worth the effort. You get a good amount of drama and storytelling and quite a bit of (advanced) programming, all in one bite. Also, it's pretty motivating: when you read about guys squatting 800+lbs for reps, suddenly 405 doesn't seem particularly difficult!

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks for the recommendation. I'm thinking about getting this one and Mike Tuscherer's RTP book.