starting strength gym
Page 51 of 125 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast

Thread: Rob's Brooklyn Block (periodization) Party

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Accumulation Day 4

My mission to be like the MeatBeast, week one, ended with a great number of successes and a couple of disappointments. PR'ed every lift for sets of four (and some assistance ones for sets of 3 and 6). That was excellent. However, I had to cut 2 exercises this weekend so that ain't bueno. Still got to get in for GPP tomorrow, but that's happening. (shit did I just jinx myself?)

Deadlift: fours-- 365, 385, 395 (PR for 4) and 370
    Oh boy. The back really tightened up on me today and gave me trouble. The bar was moving fine, but my lower erectors just locked up on me and it was a mental struggle. Talked myself into going for 395 and it was fine. Plenty of volume here, so I took my 5% drop and called it. However, secondary DL's were out of the question at this point!

3-count bench: triples-- 175, 185, 195, 200 and 190
    I had written in 2-count paused bench for this block, but I realized I did that last block and figured it couldn't hurt to reduce the load here. This was really strong. Definitely a PR and i was careful to count fully and stay tight, tight, tight. This got hard, but there's more for sure.

Solid workout, but with the back the deads took more than an hour. I was stretching and do this and that to get it to relax. It was all good by the time I put plates on for the bench, but it was tough getting there. Very happy with the week of training overall. I was super tired after the first day and Wednesday's RDL's crushed me, but I kept coming back and laid a good foundation for the cycle. PR's every day is the way to go.

Sat's top set:

Tempo squats from Friday:

Nice, Rob. Deads look good. Amazing thoracic extension <3

Quote Originally Posted by ChadTheMeatBeast View Post
    Nice, Rob. Deads look good. Amazing thoracic extension <3
    Haha, thanks Chad. I'm assuming you aren't being sarcastic! I'd say it's more neutral than extended… ;-P

So I did it. I got to the gym on my rest day and did my goddamn GPP.

Face-Pulls: 15x15x3 decided I needed to start doing these again to help get my shoulder back to 100%. They may have been more of a positive factor for my other shoulder back in the fall than I realized.

T-Bar Row: 70x5 on the minute for 5 minutes then an extra 30 seconds rest and 1x10. (35 reps in 6 minutes)

Intervals: 6 intervals on Elliptical at :20/1:40. I took an extra 2:00 rest before the last one because I wasn't fully recovered. I pushed this as hard as possible.

Planks: 6 minutes of :45 planks. I mainly did :45 rests so this was pretty easy.

I'm just happy that I'm closer to doing the program.

I still have not bought a plane ticket for Raw Nationals yet. I cannot make up my mind to do it and commit. It's starting to get stoopid.

I have to listen to the Four Tops to do Tempo Squats...it slows me down. I just can't go ascend as slow as needed because my body won't let me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne_KONG_Wint View Post
    I have to listen to the Four Tops to do Tempo Squats...it slows me down. I just can't go ascend as slow as needed because my body won't let me.
    This is a great idea. I'll try some slow ballad or something Friday! I see in the video I have a habit of popping up on that last 3rd of the finish, maybe trying to staying with the tempo or vibe of the song will help slow me down as well. Thanks Dwayne.

Accumulation week 2, day 1

Squats: fours-- 315, 340, 360 (PR for a set of four), 330x4x2
    The squat was feeling funking warming up. I could find the width of my stance and my knee was bugging me. I could tell if I was trying to stay to upright to compensate for that or if that was just an idea. It was just off. Hit my stride at 340, although my wrist started to hurt so I put on a wrap. I'm gonna say 360 was RPE 8.5 again. Happy about another PR. I actually finished this in under an hour!

Slingshot bench: triples-- 215, 225, 235, 245@9, 230x3x2
    My shoulder wasn't as comfortable so same as last week.

Skipped board presses as the wife was waiting. I can do those tomorrow, so that's OK. She makes a special appearance for my PR set:

Nice work Rob!!

Boss.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne_KONG_Wint View Post
    Nice work Rob!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Michele Knaub View Post
    Boss.
    Werd. And thanks guys. Training is going well, but I'm starting to get beat up again already!

Accumulation Week 2, Day 2
    Last night was a mixed bag. Couldn't really finish my RDL's, but PR'ed my bench again…

RDL: 225x6, 265x6, 285x6
    Planning to work up to 305 here, but my lower back locked up on me pretty good and this just got more and more uncomfortable. This is the same sort of thing that was happening to me last accumulation phase. On Tuesday my back started tightening so I put on the belt a little early and everything seemed to relax and go fine. Maybe that's a hint as to what is happening. I'll hit the glutes and piriformis with a lacrosse ball again today (did so Saturday or Sunday…)

TnG Bench: triples-- 205, 215@8.5, 225@9 (PR for a triple), 210x3x2
    On 215 I didn't get tight enough so it was tough, but I said screw it and went with my plan and the next set was much better. I was actually afraid of failing but easily had one left in the tank.

CG 2-board press: triples-- 185, 205, 215@9, 210x3x3
    Got fatigued here at the top end but then had more drop sets. Go figure…

Gonna mobilize and probably have to wear a belt for my supplemental squat tomorrow.
    Last edited by Rob Israel; 06-12-2014 at 10:00 AM. Reason: i rite enlish

starting strength coach development program
    Congrats on all of the recent PRs, Rob!

Page 51 of 125 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast