starting strength gym
Page 68 of 125 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078118 ... LastLast

Thread: Rob's Brooklyn Block (periodization) Party

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by sking1001 View Post
    Well it pisses me off, and I've never even been there. Just the thumbnail of that video makes me want to kick ol' Biff there right in the vagina.
    Haha, thanks guys getting bent out of shape with me!

Yea, I usually don't get annoyed at the people at the gym, but this guy clearly had his head up his ass. Even after I told him to move he seemed oblivious to the fact I was pulling some decent weight and this may be a serious matter at hand.

I don't think he was an actual Equinox trainer-- he wasn't wearing a staff shirt. Actually the worse part of the bar load they did was using the women's Oly bar for those rows-- he used the narrow grip and it was metal on metal which is going to ruin the knurling on the best bar they have at the gym! I almost said something to him, but I didn't want to engage them at all…

I'd better not have some dipshit near my squat rack tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by sking1001 View Post
    Well it pisses me off, and I've never even been there. Just the thumbnail of that video makes me want to kick ol' Biff there right in the vagina.
    LOL: i just caught the "Biff" part. That's definitely his name right?

I can definitely relate to your experience Rob. There is only one squat rack where I train (a pity, I know), and every now and again this particular woman will stand in the rack and decide to twirl around for 15 minutes just as I enter the gym. Why she does this is a mystery on par with my cat's penchant for eating tarantulas. Every time I ask her if she would please twirl elsewhere (as there is plenty of space), she says that I'm getting in her way. Really? I'M getting in HER way!

Quote Originally Posted by Kain View Post
    I can definitely relate to your experience Rob. There is only one squat rack where I train (a pity, I know), and every now and again this particular woman will stand in the rack and decide to twirl around for 15 minutes just as I enter the gym. Why she does this is a mystery on par with my cat's penchant for eating tarantulas. Every time I ask her if she would please twirl elsewhere (as there is plenty of space), she says that I'm getting in her way. Really? I'M getting in HER way!
    This is freaking awesome. Classic! Thanks for sharing. :-)

Accumulation Week 1, Day 1

Back to our regularly scheduled programming...which is now different. J-Doc may have finally admitted I'm not recovering like the kiddies and has trimmed back a bunch of volume from the upcoming cycle. There's still a lot of lifts (11 a week), but less volume warming up and my Even supplemental lifts (those in the know, know) are for only 1 set and no fatigue...

Squat:
    Prescribed: 1@7.5 and then 4@9 and 4-6% fatigue sets

345x1, and 370x1@8ish and then 365x4x@8.5 or 9 and 350x4x3
    Solid squatting tonight. Knee bothered me a little more than last Monday but not enough to mess with me. 370 single was not great or confidence inducing. I was nervous for the 365 and but then I got up a little bit, the bar felt lighter and I was in control. Three fatigue sets at only 4% drop is a good sign. I'll tie my 4RM PR next week. Or maybe break it.

Bench:
    Prescribed: 1@7.5 and then 4@9 and 4-6% fatigues

215x4@8 (ties PR), 220x1@7.5, 215x4@9.5 and 205x4x2 fatigue sets
    Forgot to do the single first. Worked out alright by getting that second set of 215x4 and hitting the 9.

Good workout today. Feel like this is a good starting point. Did not PR everything like Chad would have, but I'm in striking distance.

Here's the top set of 4 on the squat:

I think Jordan's new plan is perfect for you. The lifting narrative is even more witty tonight. This alone is worth the cut in volume.

Quote Originally Posted by scteacher View Post
    I think Jordan's new plan is perfect for you. The lifting narrative is even more witty tonight. This alone is worth the cut in volume.
    Ha, I'm glad you appreciate my "humor" and word-play. I think most folks don't know if I'm serious or not 1/2 the time. Which is hard to say since most of the time I'm 1/2 serious. Srly.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Israel View Post
    I think most folks don't know if I'm serious or not 1/2 the time. Which is hard to say since most of the time I'm 1/2 serious. Srly.
    This reminded me of Bilbo Baggins's goodbye speech. I should memorize that...

Accumulation Week 1, Day 2

Sumo DL (now my competition pull so w/ belt): 375x1@7-8 and then 375x4 and 355x4x2
    This was OK. I'm not sold on doing sumo. At all. Honestly, I don't really like it, it just feels weird. My back (low right where it generally bothers me the most) was achy when I woke this morning and maybe this would have sucked worse if I did conventional, but it didn't seem all that great, plus it's 30 pounds less than I pulled regular on Saturday. I'm having trouble finding the right place to put my hands. I tried a wider stance today which felt a little better. We'll go for a few weeks and see, but this is definitely going to produce a lot of internal debate and possibly debate with Jordan.

Here is the first fatigue set when I found someone to film. You can hear on the first two reps the plates don't hit the ground at the same time. I adjusted my hand and fixed:

2 count paused bench: 205x3@8, 215x3@9 (PR) and 205x3x3
    This was pretty strong. I'm liking how my bench is feeling. Went heavier than I anticipated and didn't really reach a 9 on the fatigue sets.

BB Rows: worked up to 175x5

I then ate Chilpotle and thought fondly of my bro-friends Wolf and John.

I travel to Florida tomorrow and will hit LA Fitness! Maybe two different ones! Hopefully get a nice beach day in Friday...
    Last edited by Rob Israel; 09-11-2014 at 06:38 AM. Reason: forgot the rows

If you have the free time, and if you are in the same area (which you may not be), check out the gym that Layne Norton trains at:
    http://www.powerhousegymnorthtampa.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne_KONG_Wint View Post
    If you have the free time, and if you are in the same area (which you may not be), check out the gym that Layne Norton trains at:
    http://www.powerhousegymnorthtampa.com
    That would be cool, but it's across the state. I'm in South-East Florida... (Hollywood baby, Hollywood)

There's a USAPL friendly gym about 35 minutes away, but when I emailed them last time they didn't get back to me.... I'm hitting the LA Fitness again-- the squat racks suck, but they let me use chalk so it's adequate. (And I'm not squatting heavy)

starting strength coach development program
    Accumulation Week 1, Day 3: LA Fitness, Pembroke Pines!

Squat, no belt bitches: 315x3, 335x3@9 and 315x3x3@8
    Struggled to stay tight in the hole for 335 so a couple reps were funky and the set was more difficult than it should have been. Needed to move on, so I did. Knee felt Ok (First time squatting twice in one week in almost a month!)

Bench (touch n' go no belt): 215x3, 220x3, 225x3@9 and 215x3@9
    Worked to find the 9 even though my shoulders and arms were feeling funky. Overall felt crappy, but this is good for me, I think I'm making progress on the bench.

Cable pull-downs, chin grip: sets up 5 at 85, 100, 115, 130, 145, 160
    Meh. Left shoulder a little better, but not super thrilled. Right elbow as well.

Gym stories

One: A kid was deadlifting and his friend was given him some wacky cue so I had to tell him to stop over-extending at the top. He was leaning way back. He was cool and was appreciative of my feedback as explained that over extension under load is not a great idea. I normally keep my mouth shut when I see strangers do stupid shit, but he was so young I thought I'd better do an intervention. Was happy I did since he was happy to get the input.

Two: i worked in on the bench with a guy and then his friend joined us. I get to 205 and do a triple (started with 5's) and he says "You know, if you want to reach your goals, I see you 'um, doing sets of 5 and I, 'um, think you could, well, what the magazines say, is, 'um."
    So I said, "well, i was doing fives, but now I'm doing triples. Do you know what my goals are?" (cause he didn't bother to ask me")
    He said, "well, either to get strong or lose some weight?" I laugh (he just called me fat, right?) and say, "No, I'm certinally not trying to lose any weight." I'm trying to get my 1RM up because my bench sucks. Here, have a look at my program." So I hand him my phone with Jordans' spreadsheet and he shut the fuck up. Because Bro-science.

Three: I finally get to my top set and do my triple at 225. The brah on the bench next to me says, "if you need a spot just ask me, you had two more there." I said, "Ok, thanks, but I don't go to failure." I figured the set was exactly RPE9 since "I had two more" meant I had 1 more in the tank plus 1 with "spotter help."

I then spotted him on his last two sets. He finished at 315x 1.5: I helped him on the 2nd rep. It was definitely "All him."

It's interesting to note that no one will have the nerve to talk to me while I'm squatting or pulling because I'm doing more than any of them would even attempt. Clearly this is a message from the gym gods for me to get my bench up so they shut the fuck up.

Good times in South Florida.