starting strength gym
Page 87 of 125 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997 ... LastLast

Thread: Rob's Brooklyn Block (periodization) Party

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I know you were making a lifting video. I was just messing with you. Its not easy to do that over the internet sometimes.

Has the meet "fever" kicked in for you yet (with regards to the SBWC meet)? I'm really itchin to compete. Hope training continues an upward trend for you going into the meet Rob.

Thanks Dwayne, I thought you were joking, but then I wasn't 100%... Thanks for caring!

I'm not quite getting the itch. Training has felt rough the last few weeks and the meet seems really far off. I think when I get into March and start the next block I'll start getting pumped. Right now is weird because I have two weeks of sports form and with a "mini peak," a recovery week and then I sort start again. Jordan's got some cool quick transitions (volume-->intensity-->peaking) in March into April so I think that will be fun.

I forgot to mention I went "one-foot surfing" on the stairs going down to the subway last night. Landed solidly on my left hip and leg. This was right after the chiro straightened out my back! So much for that. Got a good charlie horse. It did not affect my squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Israel View Post
    I forgot to mention I went "one-foot surfing" on the stairs going down to the subway last night. Landed solidly on my left hip and leg. This was right after the chiro straightened out my back! So much for that. Got a good charlie horse. It did not affect my squat.
    D'oh. It's like getting gum in your hair after a trip to the barber. Though I guess you and I don't have that problem. Wolf, on the other hand...

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Israel View Post
    And that's what its all about...being harder to kill....

....especially at your age...(I kid I kid).

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne_KONG_Wint View Post
    And that's what its all about...being harder to kill....
    ....especially at your age...(I kid I kid).
    Hey, it's no joke. My massive leg muscles protected that femur pretty good! Damn it's sore though!

What is interfering with my training is that I'm fighting a stomach bug going around. Really worn down and constantly nauseous. Took an extra day and it wasn't enough so everything is now shifted back. Luckily it's only a 3-day workout week since I'm doing a little peak here.

Have fallen behind here again... Busy, busy. Didn't get to Day 2 until Friday due to this bug I've been fighting...

Sports Form Week 1 Day 2 (Friday)

Deadlift: Singles: 415@7, 425@8, 435@9.5/10 then 425x2@9.5 and 405x2@8.5
    Didn't do a 2nd fatigue set as I felt something (minor) in my back. These were all pretty hard sets. I'll post some video later if I have time. My butt seemed to be lower than recently. I'll have to compare to double-check.

OH Press: 145x1@7 and 155x5@9
    That was kind of surprising. Ties my all time PR for a set of 5.

Bench: Singles: 215@7, 225@8, 235@9 then 225x2x2
    5-10 pounds lighter than I hoped.

Pretty disappointing, but I think this has to do with being run down/sick all week and still recovery from over-reaching. Maybe next week I'll hit better numbers.

Sports Form Week 1 Day 3 (Saturday)

Pin Squats (no belt about 1-2" above parallel): 255x4, 275x4, 295x4@9
    I pushed myself here a bit but passed on any fatigue sets. Worked up a serious sweat on these.

2-count bench (no belt): doubles: 215@8, 220@9, 210x2x2

I had to haul outta there to meet my wife. Who then made me wait. No conditioning this week. :-(

I'm glad u r feeling better Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne_KONG_Wint View Post
    I'm glad u r feeling better Rob
    Thanks big man. Definitely about 100% now and with all the spa action Saturday, my body is feeling better than it has in a while. Strangely the hot tub and saunas really seemed to help my knee.

Here's some video from Friday:

DL: 435 single @9
    You can see the bar really slow down as it crosses my knees:

Here is 425x2, I would call this a 10, I don't think I had another and I was disappointed:

Here's me busting out 5 reps using Press 1.0 at 155. I'll call this RPE 9:

Monday Rest Day GPP...

Decided to sneak in my press today so I could do it first (not after other lifts) and only have two lifts tomorrow...

Press: 145x4@7, 155x4@8, 160x3@9.5
    I maybe had one more at 160, but that set got torpedoed on the first rep. I pushed the bar out in front of me and it was a really slow rep and took too much out me. The next rep was literally twice as fast. So much for my "plan" for maximizing performance on a Press Priority day.

Chins: 6, 5, 6
    Really haven't done chins in a year. Crazy. Not since my last Terres minor tweak which I think was January '14. Considering I'm a good 6 pounds less now, I really should have 10 easily. But it'll take a few weeks of practice and acclimation I guess. Also, I had to use those stupid angled fixed grip handles. I hate those freaking things-- why can't gyms just get a straight bar?

HIIT: ERG, 7 rounds of :20/1:40
    I went hard on this. 7 rounds is so much better than 12. Like 5 times better.

I'm suppose to do an arm super-set but figured I'd do that after I bench tomorrow.

It was nice having the day off today. I hope everyone had a nice weekend. Only a 3-day week for me and then I head to Florida Friday and away from this weather for a nice long weekend with Dad and sis...

starting strength coach development program
    I was skimming through the Reactive Training videos on Youtube (Mike T's channel) and found one where he says that BB rows are good for people who have a "weakness" through the middle of a deadlift. Maybe start hammering BB rows in your GPP?

Page 87 of 125 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997 ... LastLast