starting strength gym
Page 88 of 125 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098 ... LastLast

Thread: Rob's Brooklyn Block (periodization) Party

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne_KONG_Wint View Post
    I was skimming through the Reactive Training videos on Youtube (Mike T's channel) and found one where he says that BB rows are good for people who have a "weakness" through the middle of a deadlift. Maybe start hammering BB rows in your GPP?
    Thanks dude. I've done them here and there but am suppose to be doing them more. Interestingly, my lats were really sore today from the chins last night. Not adapted. I'll hit both more/harder/louder/faster/increasingly.

Sports Form Week 2, Day1

Squat: I decided to use different weights to find my top end. Not sure if that helped or worked against me, but I added 5 pounds to last week and everything was generally better, mainly due to recovery. Still not really where I hoped to be, but for a mini-peak 1/2 thru the cycle, I'll take it:
    370x1 Smoked
    390x1 Lame
    400x1 Better than 390 and pretty smooth, happiest with this rep although it was asymmetrical. (you can see a twist on the ascent)
    385x2 First rep good, albeit a little forward so then I tried to stay too upright on the 2nd rep. You can see I get stuck real fast out of the hole and then finally get into my hips to make the rep. High bar squat lame-i-tude.
    365x2x3: not quite the 6% fatigue I should have done, but one more set than last week. Best rep was probably the 1st rep on the last set.

TnG Bench (no belt): 225x1 (forgot I wasn't doing singles), 230x2@8, 240x2@9.5 (ties best double from October) and then 225x2x3
    Better than last week.

Forgot to do arm superset. Jeeze, so not a bro.

Overall I'm on the fence of acceptance and disappointment here. I didn't think I'd still be treading water at this point. Also, I guess it's important to note I'm a solid 3-4 pounds lighter than I was in December. I'm clocking in at 180-1 and have lost 1.625" on my waist since the meet. Not sure how much that would affect things, but I definitely haven't had the greatest/easiest 2 months of training. I'm going to try to get thru the next two week without back-sliding (funky schedule coming up) and hope I can come out of the other end ready to melt some iron.

I wonder what your squat would look like if you did some modifications so you could get a little more into your adductors and a little less into your knees.

Also, you probably lost a little "momentum" with getting sick and not getting to train how you would like. That time away has made you more sensitive to training now. So, even if you are little behind right now, you will respond better. So, don't be disappointed.

Your gym has manta rays.

I wonder what your squat would look like if you did some modifications so you could get a little more into your adductors and a little less into your knees.
    I'm not sure how to do that, but I'm a little wary about messing with my squat form at all. However, my PT/Rolfer has been trying to get my to use my hips for external rotation (torque) more. I guess that's another route as the adductors to the same place. Honestly, right now, my biggest concern with my squat is my asymmetry. I'm loose in the left hip and will always try to overcompensate on the right. I think that's how I messed up my right knee in the first place.

Also, you probably lost a little "momentum" with getting sick and not getting to train how you would like. That time away has made you more sensitive to training now. So, even if you are little behind right now, you will respond better. So, don't be disappointed.
    Yea, good perspective. I'm with you there. And today showed some nice improvement.

Sports Form Week 2, Day 2

Deadlift: Singles: 415@7, 435@8, 445@9.5 (tied gym PR) and doubles: 420@9 and 410@8.5
    Definitely more room here on the singles than last week. 445 better (faster, smoother, etc) than 435 last week. Very gassed out for the doubles. And I suddenly forgot how the program works or what fatigue sets were. I should have done 425x2 and then dropped all the way to 395 (today called for a 6-9% fatigue). I don't even know what the fuck. I was also suppose to bench first. Total brain fart.

Bench: Singles: 215@7, 225@8, 235@9 and doubles: 220x2 and 210x2x2
    Meh. Got hit with a little bit of arm flu. Descending was really uncomfortable and therefore very slow. Just not feeling strong at this point in the workout.

I skipped CG bench and will try to make it up this week. Going to Florida tomorrow. Warmth!

Reasonably happy with the pulls and just acceptant of the bench. It is what it is and I move forward.
    Last edited by Rob Israel; 02-19-2015 at 10:41 PM.

Man, rough training month! Friday I flew out of NYC and came down with something. I could feel it in my throat on the way to the airport... Skipped Saturday and now 3 days off and still not feeling all that great, but it's been 6 days since I squatted and I no flexibility this week so I went to LA Fitness near my Dad's place.... At least the weather is good!

Low Stress Week 1, Day 1 (Triples ascending to 9 and then "1 back-off set")

Squat: 315x3@7, 345x3@8, 365x3@8.5 and 345x3
    About 20 pounds less than where I would want to be, but I'll take it. Honestly, I had to talk myself into the top set. It was maybe a 8 or 8.5, but it was hard enough.

Bench (competition pause): 205x3@7, 215x3@8, 215x3@8 (forgot to add plates, d'oh!) 220x3@9 and 215x3@8.5
    Mediocre but I was happy to get in a little more here. My bench has gone no where this year. Thanks OH Press distraction.

Well, at least I worked out. When I woke up coughing up phlegm I didn't think I'd do anything again today, but after debating it all morning, i went for it. Glad I did, hopefully i'll feel better tomorrow.

Had to skip TWO workouts last week. Back at it Monday night after a full week off. ooooff.

Dev week 1 day 1

Squat: 4's 345@7, 355@8, 365@9, 345 fatigue
    Not bad considering. Not great, but I'll take it.

Bench: 4s, 205@7, 210@8, 215@9 205 fatigue
    Ditto.

To everyone who's log I follow. Sorry I haven't been around to support you. I have barely been on the internet at all and so I'm super behind. I read many of them on my daily email, but sorry I haven't commented or stayed in touch. KEEP ROCKING ON SS TEAM!

Welcome back Rob

Welcome back Rob
    Thanks Kong!

A bit of rough one tonight, but I got in some decent work.

2 count bench (no belt): 195x3, 205x3, 215x3@9 and 205x3@9 and 200x3x2@8
    Pretty decent actually.

Deadlift: 365x3, 385x4@8, 400x3@8.5 (plates fell off on before 4th rep so end of set there) and 380x5@8.5
    Pretty shitty actually. I'm gonna have faith.

I'm not eating enough and am down to 179. Haven't been under 180 since 2011 I believe. Definitely leaning out, but it's been coming off too fast for 4 weeks. I was away again at a seminar and just did not have the time or appetite to get it down. I ate 4 times a day, but couldn't get it done. Ridiculous. Even back at home now my appetite is muted. The cool thing is my energy is sky high (mostly emotional/psychological) but it also make it so I don't need/want to eat. This needs to stop now.

I'm committing to hitting my macros for the rest of the week.

A little help for you, Rob:

haha! fantastic Karl!

AND he's smoking... Classic.

starting strength coach development program
    Friday night Classics... Dev week 1, day 3

Paused squat no belt (or sleeves): 275x3@7, 295x3@9 or 9.5 and 280x3x2@8
    OK. Form felt OK, skipped RPE8 because I calculated it too late. Not pushing fatigue this week. I'll go for more volume next week. Forgot knees, but fine.

TnG Bench no belt: 215x3@7, 222.5x3@9 212.5x3x2
    Shitty. My goal was to have 230 be the 9. The first rep at 222 was totally smoked, but then the 3rd was a grind.

Body notes
    -- Having the time off definitely helped my knee out but on Monday I had one rep where it really hurt. When I got in the hole I noticed I didn't have my knee out far enough. I was worried about it interfering with the rest of the workout but it didn't. It was pretty good (relatively speaking) all week and I have not needed ibuprofen this week at all which is excellent. I had to take it a couple of times when I was away due to a headache (from dehydration) but I've been mainly off the stuff for almost 3 weeks now.
    -- My hip was a little sore after squatting but overall it's much better.
    -- My back is a little barky in my old (way before lifting days) spot. Surely psoas tightness from too much sitting. It messed with my head a bit deadlifting Wed.
    -- Hamstring attachments better, but need to keep stretching them out.
    -- I'm down to 178-9. Time to gain a little weight back!

Overall the unintended break helped with some of my inflammation and I'm feeling better physically. My numbers aren't where I expected them to be on March 7, but that's life. I'm an older, advanced lifter with a full, enriched life! I'll take what I can. Now it's a matter of making a solid run to April 26th and hopefully hitting some PR's. Honestly at this point I'd be happy to PR my DL and total. And win.

Page 88 of 125 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098 ... LastLast