• starting strength seminar october 2024
    I agree with you on 8.5

8, Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne_KONG_Wint View Post
    I agree with you on 8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by Margie View Post
    8, Rob.
    Thank you sports fans!

Two comments on this... First, Jordan pointed out that on the 4th rep I kicked the bar forward and it "waved" in the air along my shins. That's at least partially why it slowed down so much and made it seem harder. I guess that's good in terms of overall strength, but I have a bad habit of doing that on my last rep. Second, when my back is all jacked up it's really difficult for me to hit a true 9 on the DL-- i just get paranoid and the discomfort kicks my self-preservation reflex up a notch.

Sunday Fun Day, Day 3

CG Bench (no belt): 195x6@7, 203x6@8, 208x6@8.5, 200x6@8.5, 195x6
    Could gone heavier but 203 was hard and going to 210 seems ambitious at decision time. This is going very well.

Squat (no belt): 315x4, 325x4, 315x4x2
    On the light side (did 325x6 last week) but I wasn't having it today. And I'm wanted to be recovered on Tuesday. And it was morning. I can't believe I squatted in the morning and it was a meet. Clearly I love my family. Back really felt like shit, so jst a little volume and practice here.

So today was one of those days when you wake up and you're tired, your low back hurts, your shoulders and traps are like rocks, your thoracic aches and you think to yourself "do I really want to squat heavy today? Or at all? Maybe I should skip this next meet."

So around noon or 1pm I decided to finally book my room at the Hyatt in New Brunswick. I'm there for the weekend, so I'm getting a room this time. I printed out the registration form and headed to the fucking gym. I don't really know why, but what the fuck.

Specialization Week 2, day 1

Squat: 365x1@7, 380x1@7.5, 385x3@8.5 and 365x3x2
    Those singles felt totally shitty. I wonder how much of this was my attitude, but I have to say that this year I've been having a real problem with the singles and then smoke my top set. The single are absolutely no gauge at all and if anything have caused me to shoot lower than I could have done. Should have, but did not go for a tie of my PR of 390 athough this is a 10 pound jump from my set of 4 from last week. Next week I'm back to fours, will PR that and then be set to do something with the triples. I have a mental block about 390+, this is the cycle I break out of that.

Bench: 215x1@7, 230x1@8, 220x3@8, 225x3@9 and 215x3
    Better than last week but not at PR numbers yet. Which is basically all I care about at this point it seems!

Chins: 6, 6, 5
    No comment. I've gained weight.

Maybe more on weight and diet compliance next time. Tomorrow I pull.
    Last edited by Rob Israel; 06-16-2015 at 09:05 PM.

I printed out my forms today. Gotta fill them out and send them in this week to make this real. And I won't drop out even if I completely screw up this cycle too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne_KONG_Wint View Post
    I printed out my forms today. Gotta fill them out and send them in this week to make this real. And I won't drop out even if I completely screw up this cycle too.
    Yes! Registration is the real the commitment. I'm starting to fill mine out now.

I thought you guys were already registered! I sent my stuff in last week thinking I was the last one.

Quote Originally Posted by John Petrizzo View Post
    I thought you guys were already registered! I sent my stuff in last week thinking I was the last one.
    Haha, yea, well, I don't wait till the last minute, but I don't do it 3 months in advance either!

Fell behind here again, but it was a busy week at the gym...

Wednesday, Specialization week 2, Day 2

Deadlift: 405x1@7, 425xF, 405x3x3@8, 8.5, 8.5-9
    Man, this sucked. Strangely, the left side of my low back hurt Tuesday when it was the right side on Monday. As I gave up on 425 (should have been a single at 8 and it was more of a "quit" than a "fail" I felt it sting more. I decided to give up on the singles and see what happened with triples and then just did them across... I put this crap-show aside and moved on...

3-count bench (no belt, all triples): 200@7, 208@8, 215@9, 205x3x2
    This was OK considering my arms were still fatigued from benching the day before. These were legit, long-ass pauses.

Thursday GPP
    Chins (AMRAP in 11 minutes):29 reps-- 5-4-4-4-4-4-4

Intervals: ERG :20/1:40 for 6 rounds
    First time in weeks. Not too bad. Must. Keep. This. Going.

Friday Specialization Day 3
    Squat no belt (triples): 315, 330, 340, 325, 325
    My knees were bothering me at the beginning but as they warmed up this got better. This turned out pretty well and I was happy with my form.

TnG Bench (no belt, all triples): 210, 220@8, 230@9 and 220x3x2
    Meh. My TnG is only 5 pounds over my paused this week.

DB Incline bench: 50x5, 60x5, 65x5, 60x8
    Getting used to this exercise. Didn't really go heavy enough as proven by the last set.

I worked out at the Equinox in the west village. They had a nice platform and 3 good squat racks. More importantly they had the older hex plates that are not bigger than the standard bumper plates so I may try deadlifting there next week. It's about a 15 minute walk/subway from work and on the way home so it may be worth it. The only issue is that it was quite crowded for a Friday night (my regular gym is really quiet on Fridays so I wonder how bad it gets mid-week...

Saturday Specialization Week 2, Day 4

Paused DL (no belt): 315x3, 345x3, 355x3, 335x3
    This was Ok, but I didn't like how my sacrum back was feeling during the finish of the lift. Can't explain it but I took my time between sets and really only the last 3 sets were work sets so the volume was low. 355 was close to or about a 9.

Slingshot bench (no belt): 225x3, 240x3, 255x3, 260x3
    First time using the red slingshot. Last set felt really heavy but moved really well. Didn't hit a 9.

Had to end it there to make my massage appointment. Which was awesome. I'm going again next week.

starting strength coach development program
    GPP

Intervals: ERG :20/1:40 for 6 rounds
    Got some coaching on my rowing from the local former Olympian. One of the benefits of working out at CFSBK. I think he won the gold in 2000.

Chins: 4 sets of 5 in about 10-11 minutes.
    Basically went sub maximal with shorter rests (~3 minutes) but didn't time it.

I'm starting to feel pretty beat up and hopefully some pain points start to turn around. I did more mobility work today including using the voodoo band on my knew and working the laX ball on my forearm (golf elbow) and shoulder/traps (golf-ball sized knots).

Page 94 of 125 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596104 ... LastLast