starting strength gym
Page 3 of 173 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Das Zurechthämmern von Karl: An Attempt at Block Periodization

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Rob,

As I read Frey's version (transcribed by me from the videos he did for Elitefts), it doesn't seem to increase through the block. I've noticed that the 60-65% accumulation phase is definitely easier the second time through. I might not taper down to 60% for the later sets like I have been doing for the third week.

What's the rationale behind lots of transmutation and no accumulation? I suppose I would really like to know what the theory is behind the whole thing: what adaptations are we aiming for in each block? For me, the accumulation feels a lot like bodybuilding training. I'd feel a lot more comfortable designing my program when I understood the theory better. I hope it's in PPST3.

I haven't decided how many weeks per cycle, but will do at least 3 weeks for the first two, and at least 2 weeks for Realization. Advice is welcomed.
    Regarding block lengths, IMO you'd want to have your transmutation to at most equal your accumulation blocks in length. I found this video interesting with regards to laying out blocks. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwVllHZjYp0

I'm not sure if the guy is 100% correct but there's a table in Zatsiorsky's book that directly correlates how long you build your strength level/ability with the amount of time it detrains or you lose it so there might be some truth to this. (i.e. the longer you train to attain your peak, the longer you will go back to your base level if you stop training said ability)

Anyway, sorry for randomly hijacking your log, I just found the title peculiar and decided to check it out. Lastly, you might find this link interesting. }} http://articles.elitefts.com/trainin...r-should-read/

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Schudt View Post
    Hi Rob,

As I read Frey's version (transcribed by me from the videos he did for Elitefts), it doesn't seem to increase through the block. I've noticed that the 60-65% accumulation phase is definitely easier the second time through. I might not taper down to 60% for the later sets like I have been doing for the third week.

What's the rationale behind lots of transmutation and no accumulation? I suppose I would really like to know what the theory is behind the whole thing: what adaptations are we aiming for in each block? For me, the accumulation feels a lot like bodybuilding training. I'd feel a lot more comfortable designing my program when I understood the theory better. I hope it's in PPST3.
    I'm in the same boat as you. I hired Jordan to help me program this for me with the intention of learning how to do it for myself. It's pretty complicated compared to Texas or 5/3/1 since there are so many variables. I'd say I'm about 1/2 way through getting comfortable with it. I'm going to run the same block I attempted in Aug-Sept. albeit with some older trainee adjustments.

I had the opportunity to ask Jordan a LOT of questions in the 3 months I hired him-- I need to review my notes (come to think of it, I need gather and edit my notes and put them into reviewable form!) but he said he rarely programs more than one accumulation block in a training cycle. It's a base-building phase and then the transmutation rides that: there's no point in doing more than you need. I was more surprised when he told me that sometimes he doesn't program the realization cycle at all (not always, but sometimes).

Also, Frey is going way lighter than Jordan. My first week of accumulation was 5x5 at 73%. The intensities went up from there but it was only 20 reps in the 2nd and 3rd weeks (4x5 and then 5x4). He had me doing DL assistance on my first squat day. (SLDL, 2 count DL's, etc).

FYI, Jordan is doing the programming for Rori and Chad-the-MeatBeast as well. From what I've seen Reynolds and Jordan are pretty much on the same page, but I think Jordan does more volume overall. (very long workouts 4 days a week). Same basic template though. There are at least 5 people here following Reynold's Blocks-- I've learned a lot by following Dwayne and Gillian's logs.

I don't expect BP to be covered IN PPST3…

All discussion of theory is welcome here. I'm feeling my way through it, and am just using Frey as a template. Santa brought me Tuchscherer's book, which is interesting--I might do that next.

I noticed the accumulation intensities are low on Frey's program, but they are limited to two minutes between sets, which made them very hard the first week. I think I have adapted pretty well over two weeks and have increased my work capacity. I'm going to do one more week and then go to the transmutation stage. After that, I'll re-evaluate. I really like the idea of using RPE's to guide volume, but don't know if I'm smart enough.

If I were smart and money was no object, I'd hire Jordan or Reynolds, but I think I'd rather hire them for my wife more than me. For my own programming I want to work it out on my own, so that I can understand it better. I hope I don't screw up too badly.

1/1/14 Where's my flying car?

It's 2014. Really, science, where's my flying car? Get on the job!

Squats, Volume 3: 334x5x4, 309x5x2. Two minutes between each set. I tried one of the lighter sets, and decided to bag it. 206x12.

Next week, the weights go up!
    Last edited by Karl Schudt; 01-01-2014 at 09:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Israel View Post
    FYI, Jordan is doing the programming for Rori and Chad-the-MeatBeast as well. From what I've seen Reynolds and Jordan are pretty much on the same page, but I think Jordan does more volume overall. (very long workouts 4 days a week). Same basic template though. There are at least 5 people here following Reynold's Blocks-- I've learned a lot by following Dwayne and Gillian's logs.

Thanks for the tip. I have been reading Rori's and Chad's logs. Strong work, but I wish they would give the logs in percentages! It would make it easier to see the programming. Ah well, if I want Jordan unfiltered, I should suck it up and pay, right?

Just a note from my wife's progress: she has 4 PRs this cycle! 211 lb deadlift, 104lb bench, and I forget the squat and press numbers, at around 117lb bodyweight. Hooray for her!

#jealous.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Israel View Post
    Hi Guys,

Just an FYI, Andy said over in his forum that Reynolds did contribute some info in the "Advanced" section of PPST3 on block programming. I doubt it is anything too extensive (although I could be wrong), but I am sure it will be enough to help all of us out here.

Looking forward to following your progress, Karl!

Delete some messages. Your inbox is full.

starting strength coach development program
    Sorry. Cleared!

Page 3 of 173 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast