starting strength gym
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Strongman 2014

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Contest is tomorrow. Weigh ins are from 8 to 9 am. I need to be 200.0 lbs or less.

I went to bed last night at 207 on my home scale. Woke up at 202. Had coffee. Weighed in at 11am at 202.4 on a digital scale.

In researching, and my own observation from last night, I should credibly drop about 4 pounds overnight.

So I have a salad with chicken breast (0.75 pounds) and 12 oz. of water until weigh ins. It sucks.

If you are reading this, and have any insight into my cut, feel free to chime in.

And if you live in Mountain View or Palo Alto, come see us tomorrow at the strongman contest. Starts at 10am.

Boss Barbell Club
    241 Polaris Drive
    Mountain View, CA 94043

Default Strongman 2014

Ah, cutting. So much fun, lol.

I usually fast & heavily restrict fluids for up to 24hrs if I'm within a few pounds of my weight cutoff. I lose about 3lbs overnight, but I'm somewhat smaller too.

Be sure to have tons of electrolytes and easily digestible food on hand for immediately post-weigh in.

After that, have fun and smash weights!

Quote Originally Posted by jenica View Post
    Ah, cutting. So much fun, lol.

I usually fast & heavily restrict fluids for up to 24hrs if I'm within a few pounds of my weight cutoff. I lose about 3lbs overnight, but I'm somewhat smaller too.

Be sure to have tons of electrolytes and easily digestible food on hand for immediately post-weigh in.

After that, have fun and smash weights!
    Thanks Jenica! First comp, I intend to win but there are a few beasts in the field, so who knows? I've never actually pulled a truck and have done stones a grand total of once. Should be really fun, I appreciate the input.

Competed today, super fun. #176-200 Weight Class. 6 competitors.

I was not a threat for the top two spots.

Aggravating and motivating. Top guy was very impressive.

Here are my lifts:

Axle Clean & Press (5th of 6)
    223 x 1
    233 x 1. PR.
    243 x 0. It was close. Can't be bummed, I hit a PR.

Farmers Walk/Zercher Carry Medley, 30 yards* (3rd of 6)
    205x2/335, 18.9 seconds.
    *looked short to me. That said, I was flying.

18" Deadlift (Silver Dollar) (4th of 6)
    515 x 1
    565 x 1
    605 x 0

I should have gone for 585. Rising bar format.

Atlas Stones, 49.5" platforms (3rd of 6)
    200-320, 5 stones, 60 seconds
    4 stones, :15 seconds

Then we did all-you-can-eat korean barbeque and all was right with the world.

I had fun, I learned quite a bit by competing. If I'm being honest, the guy who took first is at another level. Everyone else is very close and I'll be damned if this wasn't a particularly competitive field. Top guy in my weight class (under 200) pulled #675 from 18". That's a lot.

Saw Odd Haugen and chatted with Kalle Beck.

Very fun, might have to do Reno in the fall.

Congrats on the PRs! You set some personal bests and had a good time, so it sounds like a great day overall. I'm waiting for someone to announce a Strongman competition in the Northeast with a 150 lbs weight class so I can try it out.

Thanks Nik!

A few videos:

http://youtu.be/L9seUJFC_MI

Not much to say. This might actually be my first lift at #223 instead of my #233 PR. I missed the press on my opener and got super pissed. #233 is a PR.

http://youtu.be/pZaTs4ZnDqU

I really flew on this event, slight fix is to practice a running start on the yoke. That's what the guy who won did, no pause on the transition. And don't drop it obviously, although the slide didn't hurt me too badly, still probably 1/2 second.

No vid yet of the silver dollar deadlift. One might pop up, lots of folks were filming.

http://youtu.be/BZ-lF0uMRAY

Atlas Stones. Again, I flew through the first four. Watching the video, I see I didn't get over the top enough on the #300 and jam it into my armpits. As soon as I go up, you see daylight. That means there's no hope for the height I need.

Another angle of the final 2:

http://youtu.be/sqVxjWNWY1k

Quote Originally Posted by NikhilT View Post
    Congrats on the PRs! You set some personal bests and had a good time, so it sounds like a great day overall. I'm waiting for someone to announce a Strongman competition in the Northeast with a 150 lbs weight class so I can try it out.
    Try a contest with a novice LW class! I'm not sure where you are, but my gym is hosting a contest in May with multiple novice classes:
    http://www.nastrongman.com/pdf/2014/...0Gods%20IV.pdf

In case that link doesn't work, it's a NAS show at Lightning Fitness in South Windsor, CT on May 24.

It's a big show, but runs efficiently. You can always come for coaching beforehand too.

Congrats on a good performance at your first contest! The open classes around here are always stacked, so having good competition doesn't surprise me. It makes placing that much better.

Thanks Jenica! I may have to do that one. I live in Manhattan, going to sign up at a strongman gym here later today anyway, so I may have a chance to train for the events. (sorry JStrong for cluttering your log.)

starting strength coach development program
    4/30
    BW=205

First day back, didn't go too hard.

PC/Press
    bar x some
    95 x 5

OAS
    95 x 2

PC/Press
    145 x 3

PC/PP