starting strength gym
Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526

Thread: Sarah la Rosa's training log - Rehab to AO

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Nicely done, Sarah. Your rehab and training have been impressive. I wish you continued success and general awesomeness.

Hi Sarah! Seems like forever ago we in the car together coming back from the wedding...

Sorry to hear the meet didn't go as well as you would have liked, but congrats on the Snatch meet PR. It sounds like you have a good plan and it's awesome you are able to alternate Oly and PL meets. I couldn't do, so I think that's pretty amazing!

Your post about the injury was great. Thanks for sharing that perspective and wisdom. I'm going to send it to my good friend who blew out his back in June and has been really passive in his rehab (and not so smart in his training leading up to it). He didn't really want to listen to other people, hacked his own way and ended up blowing out two disks pretty badly. Anyway, the way you turned to your network for help, coaching and support is something men don't like to do and is just plain stupid (ok, I'm generalizing here and making this a gender thing, but I think it has some validity), so I wanted to say I really am glad to have you as a reference point and to use as an example as a smart way to deal with a serious injury.

Don't let that go to your head too much. I'm still way more old and shit so show some respect. ;-)

Miss you...

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Such a great post, Sarah. And I'm so proud of you. Keep killing it!
    Thanks Wolf, couldn't have done it without your help this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    Nicely done, Sarah. Your rehab and training have been impressive. I wish you continued success and general awesomeness.
    Thanks for always being a good voice of moderation when I'm stressing about Cindy out-squatting me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Israel View Post
    Hi Sarah! Seems like forever ago we in the car together coming back from the wedding...

Sorry to hear the meet didn't go as well as you would have liked, but congrats on the Snatch meet PR. It sounds like you have a good plan and it's awesome you are able to alternate Oly and PL meets. I couldn't do, so I think that's pretty amazing!

Your post about the injury was great. Thanks for sharing that perspective and wisdom. I'm going to send it to my good friend who blew out his back in June and has been really passive in his rehab (and not so smart in his training leading up to it). He didn't really want to listen to other people, hacked his own way and ended up blowing out two disks pretty badly. Anyway, the way you turned to your network for help, coaching and support is something men don't like to do and is just plain stupid (ok, I'm generalizing here and making this a gender thing, but I think it has some validity), so I wanted to say I really am glad to have you as a reference point and to use as an example as a smart way to deal with a serious injury.

Don't let that go to your head too much. I'm still way more old and shit so show some respect. ;-)

Miss you...
    Man Rob, I miss you too. That weekend was so good.

And thanks. I really try to be open about it, because I was so damn scared that it was the end of something I loved. There is a lot of misinformation out there, so I try to at least provide my personal story as a counterpoint to what so many other clinicians recommend to do in cases of serious injury with barbell lifting.

So, now, onto the GOOD stuff.

There was some training between 10/22/14 and 11/9/14, but I'm just going to summarize. Basically, I was doing pretty good, then I had a terrible workout for my last heavy workout for bench AND deadlift, failures everywhere. I hit 295lbs in training, but failed 300lbs shortly there after. I started stressing out that the meet was going to be a disaster.

Wolf to the rescue, he helped get my head back in gear. Had some good last heavy-ish workouts. Pulled 315 for triples, squatted up to 275 (opener) a few times. I rested. A lot. Slept 11 hours on 11/6 and 11/7, got a full 9 hours or so on the night before. Ate a lot. (Max and I talked about how it was actually a boon for me to be in the 75+ category for this meet, because of the animals who were dominating in the under 75K.)

Women's Pro Am (SPF, 11-9-14)

Squat (kilos/lbs)
    125k/275-132.5k/291.5lbs-137.5k/302.5lbs
    37.5lb meet PR

Bench
    70K/154lbs-75K/165lbs-77.5K/170.5lbs (fail)
    Matched old PR from 08/2013

Deadlift
    140k/308lbs-150k/330lbs-160k/352lbs
    37lb meet PR

Total: 819.5lbs, 124.5lb meet total PR

This was the best meet I have ever had. Went 8/9 and was lifting with a group of women that I really enjoy lifting with and have immense respect for. (I'm the weakest of the group, btw.) Getting my 300lb squat was my main priority. I was so worried that I would fuck up my deadlift. I agonized about it. Bench I wasn't too upset about, it hasn't been a training priority, so I was fine with just matching what I had done previously.
    But back to deadlift. It's so mental for me. I had been bolstered by my last workout going well, but I was even questioning my ability to pull 330 after squatting. (Even though I had hit 335x2x2 in training.) I was worried about twisting with my mix grip, which I had only been practicing in the last week or so before the meet. (And had not been going well.) Mostly I was worried about my own head getting in the way of me believing I had done the work and that I could pull 350 off the ground.

I was the last flight to go, of the four, and I was the only girl that Max was coaching in that flight... which means I had a great cheering section. 308 was a little hesitant. 330 felt great. It was fast and I felt strong. I spent the entire time between my second and last attempt telling myself I could do it. I went out there and that bar moved far faster than I anticipated. I had everyone yelling for me and it was SO great. So great.

I had told Wolf in February that I wanted to squat 300 and pull 350 by the end of the year. And I did.

This year has been really rocky for me in relocating back to the West Coast. Finding a new place to train. Finding a job. Making friends. Lifting has been my rock and consistency through all this upheaval and change.

I feel really lucky to have found a place to train where I'm a small fry and I have a lot of other strong people to look up to and train hard with. I'm looking forward to this next year and seeing what I can pull out of myself and making new goals that I wouldn't have even though possible a year ago.
    Last edited by Sarah Archenbronn; 11-13-2014 at 11:49 AM.

Congrats Sarah!!

Default Sarah la Rosa's training log - Rehab to AO

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne_KONG_Wint View Post
    Congrats Sarah!!
    Thanks Dwayne!

Aside: I forgot to mention that I was militant about my nutrition and hydration on the day of the meet. (I kept thinking of Jordan yelling at Alexa to sit down and drink her BCAAs at the meet last spring.) Anyways, I had lots of liquid (coco water+BCAA), easy to digest carbs (gummy worms, baby food, raspberries, banana) and as I was doing my last DL warmup I had some preworkout I continued to sip on through my 1st&2nd attempts. (I have been really enjoying some BSN preworkout stiff.. It helps wake me up.) Never at any point did I find myself thinking "I'm hungry/I'm thirsty."

Awesome progress! Any idea what elite is for your class?

SO AWESOME!

Congrats Sarah. I'm really happy for you and very proud too! Holy cow, what a DL and Total PR! Pretty damn sweet. And… 300 Squat! Whoop-whoop!

Such a great meet! I'm super excited for you and this progress! Can't wait to see what's next.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by kel View Post
    Awesome progress! Any idea what elite is for your class?
    No idea...
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Israel View Post
    SO AWESOME!

Congrats Sarah. I'm really happy for you and very proud too! Holy cow, what a DL and Total PR! Pretty damn sweet. And… 300 Squat! Whoop-whoop!
    Yeah! Big things this year! I feel like I'm finally out of the "recovery" phase after being hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by scteacher View Post
    Such a great meet! I'm super excited for you and this progress! Can't wait to see what's next.
    Thanks Leah!
    I have been total crap at updating my log, but my training has taken a shift. I'm going to primarily Olympic lift for the next year. I tried to hybridize Olympic and Power, but true to what more seasoned individuals advised, it ended up being frustrating and I wasn't progressing as well as I wanted in either.

This year has been a good ride. I'm finally at a point where I feel like I can be an animal in the gym again. I have been getting super aggressive, no longer feeling like my back is made of glass.

PR deadlift of 363lbs last night, two weeks ago I squatted 330lbs. A year ago I was just getting back under a barbell after my back injury, so to see a 48lb PR in DL since April and 65lbs squat PR in the last year is great. (All at a lighter bodyweight.)

Current Olympic PRs: clean and jerk: 91kg/200.2# Snatch: 77k/169.4#

Looking forward to 2015 being even better!

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526