starting strength gym
Page 101 of 103 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103 LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 1023

Thread: Walter's Competition Training Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Good luck with the knee. I've been there myself before so I can empathize.

Quote Originally Posted by keeptryn View Post
    Good luck with the knee. I've been there myself before so I can empathize.
    Thanks. The only thing strange for me is that I've never had any type of knee pain that affected my lifting or any pressing of the leg like this is doing. But, this is not something that is completely foreign to this community and I'll get it figured out.

Tuesday, 9 May 2017

SQ - 185x3, 225x3x5
    DL - 225x3, 275x3
    BB Curl - 70x3x12

The knee did not like the SQ's or DL's, so this will be good test. After first workset of SQ's, moved the stance a little more narrow and pointed toes more forward and that seemed to help some.

Thursday, 11 May 2017

BP - 185x4x5
    PR - 85x3x5

The "screw it" strategy was short-lived as I could barely walk yesterday or today. Working on new plan.

Friday, 12 May 2017

Lat Pulldown - 140x3x10
    LTE's - 85x3x12
    TKE's - 3x20
    Cable Rows - 165x3x10

While my knee is out of commission, going to see how big I can make my back, notwithstanding not being able to deadlift.

Hey Walter, any progress on the knee? Or idea of what is going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
    Hey Walter, any progress on the knee? Or idea of what is going on.
    Thanks for checking on me. Knee still hurts. Have not been able to get MRI approved by insurance. I see Ortho Christiansen on Thursday and he is top notch so we'll see how that goes. Between the knee, travel, and some other health stuff, I've had no training going on at all. Hopefully, I can get all sorted and back to the iron soon.

Sunday, 9 July 2017

Health Update and Plan

After my competition in January, I had already planned on taking a break from high intensity for awhile as I have been on a run of about 5 years of non-stop lifting in a competitive mindset and made some great strides, but felt like I needed a mental and physical break. My plan was to quite a bit of hiking, maybe drop 10-15 pounds, and still hit gym with worksets in the 75% range. Unfortunately, a combination of multiple health issues and work have gotten in the way, but looks like I have a way forward. So, the various issues in order of significance.

Knees - left knee, in particular. This has been my biggest impact on training and life in general. Six months of significant pain, everyday limp, and inability to do much activity. Orthopedist says I'm not ready for a partial knee replacement "yet" which, of course, there might be one in the future. But, did finally get a MRI of the left knee and there is a meniscus tear apparent and we are going to scope the knee in August, clean up the meniscus and, hopefully, clean up some of the other crap in there. Not sure that I believe that this explains the level of pain I've had but will hope for best and see how this works.

A-fib/PVA - Haven't logged on this but have had a-fib issues over past three or four years. It hasn't really interfered with my training but have not been able to staying consistently in sinus rhythm, so had pulmonary vein ablation about six weeks ago to, hopefully, fix it for good. Not a major procedure anymore but still wasn't fun. But, hoping this takes care of both the a-fib and flutter. No limitations on lifting.

Right shoulder - Not sure if I hurt it before the comp, during warmups, or on one of my attempts, but right shoulder is definitely not right. Explains me missing my BP attempts. Laying off bench for a while as I come back and will focus on rehab and pressing first.

So, there is the status. Falling apart. I've also been very busy with travel and work but got back in gym last week and did some light rehab and back work. On vacation this week but plan on getting in the gym regularly in upcoming weeks and plan on ignoring the knee as much as possible and being more active with it until the scope at least to the point that I can tolerate.

Quite a list. Hopefully the mental and physical break have given you so,e refreshment and time to heal.

starting strength coach development program
    Good luck with everything Walter. I'm sure it will all get sorted out eventually